What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

Would I be crazy to assemble my own bike without any real experience?
Honestly, yes. Most small local shops will build your bike for $100-150. Money very well spent, and likely cheaper than an ER visit when you realize your brakes don't work.
Unless you're a mechanic or have extensive bike experience don't build your own.

It isn't all that complicated but the risk of screwing it up exceeds the gain.

These days, everyone seems to wear a helmet all the time on any kind of bike no matter how tame the ride. Seems like a hassle. Is it really necessary when I'm riding 2.5 miles each way between home and work, or 2 miles each way to get lunch? Yes, if I get hit by a car, I'll wish I had a helmet on -- but that's just as true when I'm walking or jogging as when I'm cycling, right?
The prevalence of cycling head injuries is really pretty low. If you're putting around I wouldn't really freak out about it. If you're logging 2,500 miles a year and hitting significant speeds you'd be foolish not to.
Depends on the commute. If you're on a Greenway or designated bike trail you're probably fine. Busy road and I'd wear it.

And yes, if you're exceeding 20mph, wear it.

proninja said:
You can get a bike that fill fit your needs for that price or less at a LBS, and it'll have a much wider gear range, and you won't have to worry if you didn't torque something down properly.

This usually sells for $550, and is a more versatile bike
Agree completely with this. Just bought this bike last year. It's roughly the same price and a great buy.

why be on the road a day after 2ft plus of snow. Streets reduced to tiny lanes each side and mr ####### bike guy riding down thr middle . Jackass

HellToupee, you should look into public transportation. If one cyclist can cause you such angst, I fear for your health

HellToupee, you should look into public transportation. If one cyclist can cause you such angst, I fear for your health
this fool was out when normal lane was reduced to 75% riding down RT 60 like its a sunny day. I'm glad he was eating road slush as people labored to get around him

Thanks for the feedback. It helped convince me that I should buy from a local bike shop, so that's where I'll go.
I ended up spending significantly more than I was expecting, but I test-rode a bunch of bikes and I really liked the one I ended up getting. Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc. It felt a lot better than the others that I rode, especially the shifting and the breaks. Comes with free lifetime maintenance, too.

Now I need to get a lock.

Thanks for the feedback. It helped convince me that I should buy from a local bike shop, so that's where I'll go.
I ended up spending significantly more than I was expecting, but I test-rode a bunch of bikes and I really liked the one I ended up getting. Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc. It felt a lot better than the others that I rode, especially the shifting and the breaks. Comes with free lifetime maintenance, too.

Now I need to get a lock.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/home.html

Nice ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a lot of fat bike riding in the park where I hike during the winter. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on one of those $500 models and see how it goes.

I've seen a lot of fat bike riding in the park where I hike during the winter. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on one of those $500 models and see how it goes.
They are the big hit with my bike club this year. I'm still riding a hard tail - going all fat would be a big jump. They apparently kick butt in the snow, though. One guy even has front suspension on his fat.

They are the big hit with my bike club this year. I'm still riding a hard tail - going all fat would be a big jump. They apparently kick butt in the snow, though. One guy even has front suspension on his fat.
Yeah, I'd only use it in the snow but who knows. I went with a hardtail for a bit but my body took a pounding so I think a dualie is all I'll be going with from now on.

Yeah, I'd only use it in the snow but who knows. I went with a hardtail for a bit but my body took a pounding so I think a dualie is all I'll be going with from now on.
Wheel size?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1163885_-1_401105__401105

Thoughts on a Diamondback Haanjo Comp as a commuter/road bike? Not heavy mileage just around town. Also any comparables? I know nothing about bikes.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm

Also how tall are you? I can hook you up with a carbon road bike for a a really good price.
5'10"I check out bikes direct all the time I just have no clue what's a good deal or #### on there. Friend recommended the Haanjo, figured there is a comparable at bikes direct, just haven't had time to sift through and find it.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1163885_-1_401105__401105

Thoughts on a Diamondback Haanjo Comp as a commuter/road bike? Not heavy mileage just around town. Also any comparables? I know nothing about bikes.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm

Also how tall are you? I can hook you up with a carbon road bike for a a really good price.
5'10"I check out bikes direct all the time I just have no clue what's a good deal or #### on there. Friend recommended the Haanjo, figured there is a comparable at bikes direct, just haven't had time to sift through and find it.
If you go performance, wait until they do a 20% off promotion. Shoot Proninja a pm, he's the resident bike expert.

If you were 6 ft + or 5'8*- I'd have a bike for you.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htmhttp://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm

If you go performance, wait until they do a 20% off promotion. Shoot Proninja a pm, he's the resident bike expert.

If you were 6 ft + or 5'8*- I'd have a bike for you.
Given that I was 5'11" a few years ago, I should be around 5'8" around 2020. Hold onto it for me until then.

Started riding bike again and I am shocked at how much my ### hurt from a 45 minute ride. How do any of you put up with this???
What type of riding/bike?

Are you sitting upright most of the time or are you in more of a typical bent-over riding position?

Giant Gel Saddles are available but are quite uncomfortable for more serious riding, IMO. But if you're a bigger guy and will be riding upright (ie all your weight on your ###) and you're on any sort of terrain, you might need one.

Started riding bike again and I am shocked at how much my ### hurt from a 45 minute ride. How do any of you put up with this???
Bike shorts with a chamois pad are helpful on long rides. You can find MTB shorts that look more normal if spandex isn't your thing. I don't think they're necessary for a 45 min ride but your mileage may vary.

Agreed, but what hurts more than my ### is my knee and shin as I took a glorious tumble off my mountain bike yesterday when I caught a tree with the left end of my bar. Great stuff, and so glad the weather is once again allowing for evening rides. Any other semi-serious mountain bikers out there?

Agreed, but what hurts more than my ### is my knee and shin as I took a glorious tumble off my mountain bike yesterday when I caught a tree with the left end of my bar. Great stuff, and so glad the weather is once again allowing for evening rides. Any other semi-serious mountain bikers out there?
:thumbup: Only mountain bike on the weekend. I road ride during the week. MTB conditions are perfect right now here in NJ.

Sold my commuter and road bike this winter. Wanted to reduce down to just one bike. Something that I could take off road a bit but also take for decently long rides and be able to commute on. Knew what I wanted. Aluminum, 105 components, disc brake.

Picked up the below for a steal of a deal. They had one of their 23% off sales. Had a 80 dollar gift card too, so the bike came out to like 750 bucks. Really happy with it. Tubeless too.

Have put about 500 miles on it. Haven't taken it on any trails yet though. Looking forward to it.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/mProduct4_10052_10053_572593_-1

Sold my commuter and road bike this winter. Wanted to reduce down to just one bike. Something that I could take off road a bit but also take for decently long rides and be able to commute on. Knew what I wanted. Aluminum, 105 components, disc brake.

Picked up the below for a steal of a deal. They had one of their 23% off sales. Had a 80 dollar gift card too, so the bike came out to like 750 bucks. Really happy with it. Tubeless too.

Have put about 500 miles on it. Haven't taken it on any trails yet though. Looking forward to it.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/mProduct4_10052_10053_572593_-1
Yeah, cyclocross bikes are very versatile and don't seem to be as fragile as some road bikes.

I bought a used cross bike last summer. The previous owner built it up around a ~2005 Empella Bonfire frame set and has a real mish mash of components. The frame was very clean but I ended up changing out the crank and bb due to wear. I'm way too old to race and only took it on gravel a few times before changing out the cross tires for some 28C's for city riding. But at least I know I won't get dropped by somebody with the same bike.

Empella was a Dutch maker of pro cyclocross frame sets that were under a number of cyclocross world champions in the late 90s-early naughts. The frame is light but built like a tank. There are times when I'd wish for a little less stiffness (in the frame) but it is what it is.

Are you sitting upright most of the time or are you in more of a typical bent-over riding position?

Giant Gel Saddles are available but are quite uncomfortable for more serious riding, IMO. But if you're a bigger guy and will be riding upright (ie all your weight on your ###) and you're on any sort of terrain, you might need one.
I am 6'6" and I would say 90% of the time I am upright. Its a mountain bike and my ### pain has me rethinking the entire thing, kayaking doesnt hurt my ###.

I am 6'6" and I would say 90% of the time I am upright. Its a mountain bike and my ### pain has me rethinking the entire thing, kayaking doesnt hurt my ###.
Is the bike properly fitted for your height?

Kayaking is a lot of fun too. Unless you live on a lake or river, its hard to get a quick kayak ride in like you can with a bike ride. A lot of people start out with ### pain which gets better over time. You can try a new seat. I personally like this seat which I have on my road bike. I still get ### numbness on longer rides and standing occasionally like for a hill climb takes care of that.

I'm in the market for a 29er. Good friend rides alot and I rode one of his the other day.
I've got a Trek Stache, and love it. It's the "swiss army knife" of hardtail MTBs. They are redoing the line and making them "29er+", which just means they can accept a wider tire (typically about 3" wide). Not quite a "fat bike", but close. Before pulling the trigger on a few thousand dollar purchase, at least try out a 29er+ first.

Change that. Get out out of the seat more often, put more weight on your pedals. Do you have clippy pedals?

proninja said:
I think the one with hydraulic disc brakes is only $1749, and I would absolutely spend the difference. I've got it on my road bike this year and it's pretty awesome
How much better? How hard is the upkeep?

Change that. Get out out of the seat more often, put more weight on your pedals. Do you have clippy pedals?
No, when I bought the new bike they tried to talk me into them but I was scardey cat :bag:

Yes they too care of that for me.

Yes they too care of that for me.
Hmm. When you say ### pain can you be a little more specific? Even on a flat-bar bike, there shouldn't be a whole lot of ###-seat interface.

Simply put asses are very individual. Three steps to getting this corrected - get some decent bike shorts, go to a store and they can help you find a good saddle with loaner programs, etc., and ride more. There is a phrase out there - "growing a seat". You will get used to the saddle and it does take a bit. However, no saddle should be excruciating after 45 minutes. And there are big differences in saddles. I've gone from ones like you have to the one I have now and frankly that is never what hurts first.

Also note that, in general, the most comfortable saddles are not, I repeat not, the most cushioned ones. The most comfortable saddles are typically pretty small and thin.

So who knew ### gets caught in the filter, but asses is ok?

My ### always hurts for the first few weeks of the season. Don't chase a perfect seat until you get some miles under you ###.

I got my bike from a local bike shop in March. It comes with free lifetime routine maintenance. I finally got around to taking it in for its first check-up this week. Everything checked out fine, but apparently I'm supposed to be lubing my chain and certain other bike parts every few weeks or so.

Is it worth getting a bike stand for that? They're around $100 on Amazon. If I don't get a stand, will it be tremendously difficult to clean the chain and apply lube? What if I just keep riding without applying lube more than the twice a year that I bring my bike into the shop? (There's no mud or rain where I ride, and hardly any dirt.)

I'm space constrained and cheap so I bought this stand for $19. It folds up to nothing and is stable enough to do basic drive train maintenance/adjustments.

I agree with proninja - no stand needed for basic maintenance. I've been coveting a Park stand for a few years, but can get by without. I store my bike on something similar to this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-iudrTKALYY/maxresdefault.jpg- that works well for chain cleaning.

Get white lightning for the chain lube.

I also use a chain cleaner on my mountain bike after I end up getting it wet and gritty. One similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNjZsW1sB0w

These gear flosses are awesome, too! http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/cleaning-tools/gear-floss-microfiber-rope

proninja said:
You absolutely don't need a stand for the very basic stuff. Set the bike against a wall, pedal backwards, add lube as the chain moves. Take a rag and wipe the excess off. Done.
I just turn mine over - easier access. I've done a bunch of stuff to my bike and never thought I really needed a stand.

Which reminds me I need to bring mine into the shop. I'm definitely in need of repairs - need to replace my saddle (broke again - damn Specialized) and my rear wheel has developed fatigue cracks at the spokes.

proninja said:
proninja said:
You absolutely don't need a stand for the very basic stuff. Set the bike against a wall, pedal backwards, add lube as the chain moves. Take a rag and wipe the excess off. Done.
I just turn mine over - easier access. I've done a bunch of stuff to my bike and never thought I really needed a stand.

Which reminds me I need to bring mine into the shop. I'm definitely in need of repairs - need to replace my saddle (broke again - damn Specialized) and my rear wheel has developed fatigue cracks at the spokes.
I have never seen specialized refuse a warranty on a busted saddle.How old and what type of wheel?
Yeah - the bike shop will likely take care of the saddle. This is the second Toupe that has cracked like that, though. Plastic like they are using fatigues and they should know better.

Wheel is a Flo. Love the wheel and I've run it for 2-3 years now. I'll check on warranty, but likely will need to buy another wheel. Not insanely expensive - like $300.

Edit: wheel is three months out of warranty. Doh!

Stand isn't needed for most stuff, but having one is very nice if you're doing anything major on your own. I maybe use mine 1-2x per year per bike. Folds up and sits in the corner of garage when not being used.

Had one of my worst rides of the year last night on my mountain bike. Hot and muggy, and took two spills on the trails. Felt sick and a bit lightheaded after about an hour. Can't wait to get back out there!

Anyone take their dogs on bike rides? I started taking my puppy on rides and I've just been holding the leash in one hand as she runs along next to me. Then one day I saw a woman with bike accessory designed for running your dog. Brilliant! I assume these things work better than holding a leash? My puppy does alright, but...she's still a puppy (9 months) and occasionally tries to bolt after something. Do these designed leashes help with sudden change of direction by the dog?

I know ninja worked in a shop, but waiting to live a chain until it squeaks is too late.

Also white lightening is one of the worst lubes out there...use rock n roll gold

Anyone take their dogs on bike rides? I started taking my puppy on rides and I've just been holding the leash in one hand as she runs along next to me. Then one day I saw a woman with bike accessory designed for running your dog. Brilliant! I assume these things work better than holding a leash? My puppy does alright, but...she's still a puppy (9 months) and occasionally tries to bolt after something. Do these designed leashes help with sudden change of direction by the dog?
I've got a few people in my local club who ride with their dogs, and I'm trying to do so with mine. The others are all border collies (or similar mixes) who run very close to their owner - no leash or anything. Adding a leash to this mix on mountain bike trails would be dangerous to the dog and to the rider, and to other riders.

If the dog will bolt, I would recommend something that wouldn't attach to the handlebars - as you could easy get flipped.

Ive got a chirp when shifting that is also steady when pedaling in a handful of gears. My chain broke last week and thought the new one might take care of it, but it didn't. Thoughts? Google search results use gearhead-speak I am unfamiliar with.

Users who are viewing this thread