What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (12 Viewers)

This week's Cheap Heat podcast is infinitely better with Andrew Goldstein subbing for Peter Rosenberg. Goldstein actually talks about wrestling and adds some insight instead of the normal drivel from Rosenberg talking about himself and all of the hip hop stars he has on his cell phone contacts.
Podcast of the cench. Majour better than that peckerhead Rosenberg
Rosenberg doesn't even know that much about wrestling. He missed all of the Attitude Era in WWF and wasn't watching WCW during that boom period either. Before then he exclusively watched WWF and none of the other territories. He knows nothing about Japan, Mexico, or any international wresting. He doesn't have a wide array of maneuver or industry knowledge. Really, he knows almost next to nothing about wrestling, but he acts like he's an authority.
What is his supposed base of knowledge? Was he part of the hulkamnaia era? I listen to a million podcasts but that one never caught my ear. But now I'm just mad reading what you wrote lol
Yes, he started watching WWF in the late '80s until the early '90s and then reemerged himself in the middle part of the '00s by getting involved in the indy scene. I don't doubt that he's a huge fan at this point, it's just that his commentary is generally focused around himself and how awesome his broadcasting career is. Shoemaker only has about 30% of the dialog on that show and still easily carries it every week.

Well it was a good run anyway for Sandow....

Mega Powers dead after a week. Doesn't get much worse than jobbing to Ascension.
Ok guys here's the plan... 1. Spend 3 mos building Mizdow 2. Get bigger crowd pop than 90% of the roster 3. Immediately return him to a gimmicky jobber on the pre-show
Miz was the guy that was super over, and Mizdow was siphoning off his heat, imo. As Miz said on Sam Roberts show, it's up to fans to keep Sandow propped up now, and it isn't clicking.
But imitating a dead guy who was already much better imitated by black machismo.
First thing I thought of when Sandow started this. It's already been done -- and much better by Lethal. I don't really find it disrespectful as I know Lanny Poffo is a big fan of Sandow (and I'm sure they ran it by him first -- even though he doesn't watch)I really don't get why they put the "MegaPowers" thing together -- only to have them job to 2 of the biggest running jokes in the company in Ascension. Guess we get the "MegaPowers Explode" thing on Raw tomorrow. Maybe then it'll all be over with.

Sad Sandow is already back to what he was doing before the Miz. Miz may never be a main eventer again but there's no denying he knows how to get someone else over. The guys he's been aligned with (i.e Sandow/Riley) just havent been able to stay over.
Sandow just needs mic time as Damien sandow.

But it is ironic that the first gimmick was basically a reheated "genius" gimmick and now he's doing the other brother.

A guy who impersonated obscure wrestlers would at least be fresh.

Let sandow do Freddie Joe Floyd or kama the supreme fighting machine
Barry Sand-O

That was a GREAT way to introduce Kevin Owens to the Raw crowd. Meltzer says it compares to when Jericho debuted with the Rock in the ring. Might be a stretch, but I can see the comparison.

That was a GREAT way to introduce Kevin Owens to the Raw crowd. Meltzer says it compares to when Jericho debuted with the Rock in the ring. Might be a stretch, but I can see the comparison.
I can only agree... I don't watch NXT so I have heard of him but don't know much about him but I would like to see more of him. Also gave me a smidge of that Shane Douglas ECW vibe throwing down the NWA title

I can only agree... I don't watch NXT so I have heard of him but don't know much about him but I would like to see more of him. Also gave me a smidge of that Shane Douglas ECW vibe throwing down the NWA title
Look up some Kevin Steen matches on Youtube. He plays the assh0le heel to perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy. The IWC isn't going to approve of this. Muscle bound power wrestler with a limited set of wrestling moves and raw mic skills pushed immediately to the top of the card. He's clearly "not ready". I expect the smarks will boo him right out of the building...right? :oldunsure:

Oh boy. The IWC isn't going to approve of this. Muscle bound power wrestler with a limited set of wrestling moves and raw mic skills pushed immediately to the top of the card. He's clearly "not ready". I expect the smarks will boo him right out of the building...right? :oldunsure:
Ok, I thought you may have been referring to someone else, but clearly you were trying to be witty and tried to make a slam on the roided up, muscle-bound stiff that you apparently think Kevin Owens is.

Except he's a chubby guy with a Swiss Army Knife moveset who is fabulous on the mic and has been in this business since WCW was still alive.

Try again, derpnugget.

Owens is the best heel in the company IMO. The guy is one of the best natural talkers in the company already. Good way to introduce him to main roster and promote his match Wednesday vs Zayn.

Glad they're bringing the likes of him and Samoa Joe to the company. The guys can actually talk and don't come off as reading off a script. Hope the move to WWE/NXT finally motivates Joe as he's phoned it in for a few years now while toiling in TNA. I'd like to see Zayn go over Owens somehow at NXT PPV Wednesday -- and introduce Samoa Joe after the match.

Marked out like a geek for Owens. Perfect segment.

I can't believe they're putting that match out there already, at EC. That card is actually looking great.

I expect everyone to react
:lol: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cq9eGXvAAIM/UsGKrTnF92I/AAAAAAAAAS8/GMNHoR7P4XU/w346-h260/2475880b-9aa5-4838-90fa-8d20636a5e1c

I can't believe they're putting that match out there already, at EC. That card is actually looking great.
I like what I see of Owens and agree with Craig on his naturalness on Mic, and I'm torn because you want the build and I don't know how big a star the guy is in the first place but ratings were at an all time low last week so they may be getting impatient and trying to goose things

Is there any chance of Ambrose winning the strap or is he just filler until Brock returns?

If he does win I could see an Attitude era one night/week reign.

Ok, I thought you may have been referring to someone else, but clearly you were trying to be witty and tried to make a slam on the roided up, muscle-bound stiff that you apparently think Kevin Owens is.

Except he's a chubby guy with a Swiss Army Knife moveset who is fabulous on the mic and has been in this business since WCW was still alive.

Try again, derpnugget.
I could be wrong, but I think Jeremy was going with sarcasm here just a bit.

Is there any chance of Ambrose winning the strap or is he just filler until Brock returns?

I dont't see Rollins losing the belt until Wrestlemania. I think he will weasle a VV somehow from Brock before he ultimately loses to him.,Rollins has been :moneybag:

I like what I see of Owens and agree with Craig on his naturalness on Mic, and I'm torn because you want the build and I don't know how big a star the guy is in the first place but ratings were at an all time low last week so they may be getting impatient and trying to goose things
The ratings are worrisome. WWE is making a heavy time investment in their next generation right now (Shield guys, New Day/Cesaro&Kidd), and the product has been really good. I worry that Vince could freak out about the ratings and put the WWE title back on Cena, leading to Cena vs Big Show main events.

I dont't see Rollins losing the belt until Wrestlemania. I think he will weasle a VV somehow from Brock before he ultimately loses to him.,Rollins has been :moneybag:
I think it's a virtual lock that Brock gets the title back at SS. He's by far and away their most high profile talent. And the sagging ratings make this even more imminent.

The match might be setup though him being a surprise entrant into MITB. I know he that he's not a natural fit for a ladder match, but they have to get him back into the fold somehow.

The highlighted would be record breaking...

Billy Graham would go on to hold the title for nine and a half months; to this day, Graham's 296-day reign is the longest single world title reign of any heel in WWE history, with Yokozuna's second championship run and JBL's only championship run in a tie for second place.

With that said, I think you're correct.

Billy Graham would go on to hold the title for nine and a half months; to this day, Graham's 296-day reign is the longest single world title reign of any heel in WWE history, with Yokozuna's second championship run and JBL's only championship run in a tie for second place.

It can only work if you have the right face that everyone can get behind. A la nWo Hogan vs. WCW Sting.

Is Lesner the right guy for that role?

I need to go back and watch what the hell was going on that they had to stick JBL with such a long title run. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I think it's a virtual lock that Brock gets the title back at SS. He's by far and away their most high profile talent. And the sagging ratings make this even more imminent.

The match might be setup though him being a surprise entrant into MITB. I know he that he's not a natural fit for a ladder match, but they have to get him back into the fold somehow.
I can't see Brock in the MITB, at least not winning it. Winning MITB is always made out to be a big accomplishment, but on the other hand, cashing in almost always seems like its sold as a weaselly way to win a title.

I need to go back and watch what the hell was going on that they had to stick JBL with such a long title run. That just doesn't make any sense to me.
I think it had to do with Eddie Guerrero buckling under the pressure of having the title, Brock not caring, and not really having another credible guy on Smackdown to be champion. This is one of those times I wish HHH would've been champion, but there was no way he was gonna work Tuesday nights, although they should've moved the title back to Raw sooner, as they finally did when Cena won it from JBL.

Speaking of Superstar Billy Graham, did anyone catch the podcast of the Ross Report with Graham as the guest?

I knew that Hogan stole (among other things) the "24 inch pythons" from Graham who gloated over his "22 inch pythons" during his heyday. I did not know, however, that Graham introduced a word to wrestling parlance that also became associated with Hogan. "Listen up, brother..."

Prior to his bodybuilding and pro wrestling careers, Graham was a member of a travelling sect of what sounds like Christian carnies. The members of the sect would refer to each other as Brother Billy, Brother Gary, and so on. Graham was so used to calling people "brother" that he incorporated it into his wrestling promos. The rest, as they say, is history.

I think it had to do with Eddie Guerrero buckling under the pressure of having the title, Brock not caring, and not really having another credible guy on Smackdown to be champion. This is one of those times I wish HHH would've been champion, but there was no way he was gonna work Tuesday nights, although they should've moved the title back to Raw sooner, as they finally did when Cena won it from JBL.
Eddie did ask to drop the title. At the time, JBL was SmackDown's #1 heel and a PPV match had already been booked. Brock had already left for the NFL at this point.

Cena was on the horizon as U.S. Champ but was still being built up. Of course, he was the one who ended JBL's reign but they slowplayed it.

Taker didn't need the title.

Booker T was a heel.

Big show was... Big Show.

So we got an all-too-long JBL reign but it served the purpose to launch Cena.

Interestingly enough, I see that Scott Keith talked about this very subject on Blog of Doom! yesterday.

The ratings are worrisome. WWE is making a heavy time investment in their next generation right now (Shield guys, New Day/Cessaro&Kidd), and the product has been really good. I worry that Vince could freak out about the ratings and put the WWE title back on Cena, leading to Cena vs Big Show main events.
I hope not, frankly, I don't know why they'd even care about the ratings at this point. I mean, they are still USA's #1 show, and so much content is on the network now, that as long as they don't crater(drop under a million or so) they'd be wiser to take the lumps and have a whole slew of future main event level guys.

I can't see Brock in the MITB, at least not winning it. Winning MITB is always made out to be a big accomplishment, but on the other hand, cashing in almost always seems like its sold as a weaselly way to win a title.
Probably follow the RVD/Cena template of calling the cash-in in a match of your choosing.

The ratings are worrisome. WWE is making a heavy time investment in their next generation right now (Shield guys, New Day/Cessaro&Kidd), and the product has been really good. I worry that Vince could freak out about the ratings and put the WWE title back on Cena, leading to Cena vs Big Show main events.
I hope not, frankly, I don't know why they'd even care about the ratings at this point. I mean, they are still USA's #1 show, and so much content is on the network now, that as long as they don't crater(drop under a million or so) they'd be wiser to take the lumps and have a whole slew of future main event level guys.

Probably follow the RVD/Cena template of calling the cash-in in a match of your choosing.
I think the ongoing schtick of will-he or wont-he cash in is something that they like to write into matches, sort of an ongoing teaser throughout the year.

A really good RAW deserves a really good Straight Shoot. Brennan Williams (of the Jaguars) is my favorite regular guest...definitely worth a listen this week.

https://youtu.be/5cxE_lXbGHI
This was a good one. Watched it live last night. I need to donate to Aubrey's patreon. It is worth a few dollars a month for the content he is putting out. Sometimes more entertaining than RAW itself.

Side note: I need to check out the girl he had on last night. Something about her....

Brock ain't working MITB. He gets his title shot the minute he's ready to return, which will be for SS.

I just don't want to see a weak Rollins vs Brock. Makes no sense.

Interestingly enough, I see that Scott Keith talked about this very subject on Blog of Doom! yesterday.
Didn't provide much of an answer though.

RBM said:
Brock ain't working MITB. He gets his title shot the minute he's ready to return, which will be for SS.

Wouldn't saving the Elimination Chamber match(since its not really a PPV anymore) for Summerslam have been awesome? Have Rollins, Brock, Reigns, Orton, Ambrose and Wyatt(or Cena if he lost the US title by then) tear it up in there.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
RBM said:

Wouldn't saving the Elimination Chamber match(since its not really a PPV anymore) for Summerslam have been awesome? Have Rollins, Brock, Reigns, Orton, Ambrose and Wyatt(or Cena if he lost the US title by then) tear it up in there.
Sounds like a waste of a Brock Lesnar match. He don't need no stinking gimmicks.

RBM said:

Sounds like a waste of a Brock Lesnar match. He don't need no stinking gimmicks.
It'd be less about giving a Lesnar match a gimmick, and more about making it seem like he could realistically get beat. I mean, if the title is going back to Lesnar, they either need to build Rollins way back up, or do something where it isn't one on one. Besides, one of Lesnar's best matches was the triple threat at Royal Rumble.

Also, earlier it was mentioned how Ric Flair was a heel champ, who like Rollins, usually won by getting help from the 4 four horsemen, which isn't that different than Rollins getting help from the authority. I think what makes this current title run more infuriating than any of Flair's runs, is that the story being told wasn't so wishy-washy and bi-polar.

The cowardly heel champ can absolutely work, the problem is pretty much 99% Kane's character. I mean, imagine if Arn Anderson was making the matches back in the day, and constantly making Flair defend the title in matches that didn't favor Flair, then interfering in all of them, then calling Flair a coward and saying that he'd only become champion because of him. It would have been hard to ever take Flair's runs seriously.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/20/tammy-sunny-sytch-sex-tape-wwe-wrestler-porn/

WWE Hall of Famer Tammy Lynn Sytch ... aka "Sunny" ... could be doing an entirely different kind of rear-naked choke in the VERY near future -- 'cause she's thiiiiis close to signing a monster porn contract.

TMZ Sports has learned ... Sunny -- widely considered the very first "WWE Diva" -- has been in talks with Vivid Entertainment, the same company that produced Chyna's "Backdoor to Chyna" video.

Vivid tells us the two sides have spoken several times and a 6-figure offer is on the table for Sunny to become a "genuine porn star" -- not just a 1-time sex tape thing.

"After the tremendous success of Chyna, this makes total sense. Hoping we can work it out," Vivid honcho Steve Hirsch tells us.

We're told the deal is "VERY close" to being done ... and that Sunny is prepared to start shooting right away.

Heard that the other day with Sunny. Not surprising she's having to resort to that at this point. She is/was doing Skype shows. Maybe that's not working out too well.

Heard that the other day with Sunny. Not surprising she's having to resort to that at this point. She is/was doing Skype shows. Maybe that's not working out too well.
I can't imagine you can charge too much for showing boobies over Skype, especially since Velvet Sky charges $25 for a personal video greeting.
I think you'd be stunned what some of these girls make over Skype/video. Lots of idiots in this world.

Velvet's still in the stage of being employable in a wrestling company so I'm sure she's not going to the lengthy Sunny is right now.

#1 Contender status matches are missing in WWE. Gives a "prize" in matches that matter...also creates rivalries/conflict that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Reddit says Meltzer is reporting Impact is cancelled as of September.
Just days before the move was announced, Destination America made the decision to cancel TNA Wrestling, with the time frame given at the end of the third quarter (roughly the last week of September, when the current television season ends). Key people at the Discovery Channel network were informed of the decision at that point.

The word internally was that while they considered the ratings good, the ratings were not good enough to justify the cost of the programming. The other problem was that so many regular station advertisers specifically did not want to advertise on the show.

It should be noted that when the word was sent out, it was stated specifically that TNA would remain on Friday nights, with original episodes, until that point, and informing people for the fall season plans for Friday nights. Just days later, they were moved to Wednesday.

The decision was meant to be kept secret, very much like Spike kept secret publicly last year its decision to drop TNA for months after the decision was made and reported. It doesn't serve the station or the promotion any good to publicly cancel the show this far in advance. The public acknowledgment was expected to come around the time the station listed its 2015-16 television season prime time lineup with the launch of up front advertising.

Those who were informed of the cancellation have not been told at this point anything different several days after the change of date was announced. But things obviously have changed, at least to the degree of moving days. So this story is very much ongoing.

What is known is that Destination America reacts quickly to ratings. After the 3/13 episode, when the Friday show's numbers dropped to a new low, the decision was made to cancel the Saturday morning programming with the idea that eliminating the replay would help the Friday number, which is the only number they cared about. And Friday numbers did increase somewhat after that point. Eventually, they've dropped almost all their TNA programming except as far as time fillers, because of the difficulty in selling ads, and canceled all first run programming with the exception of the two hours of Impact airing multiple times on Friday nights. For the 5/8 show, the hope was going almost live would help deliver a big number, and Destination America also purchased an ad in USA Today to promote the show, thinking the added advertising and live would lead to an increased rating. Instead, the first episode did the second lowest number ever, and the replay, which is thought to be for the West Coast viewers in their prime time, did the all-time record low. Granted, that was more due to the NBA playoffs and going against a Cleveland Cavaliers game than anything else, but clearly the live hype meant nothing. Days later, the original decision to cancel was made.

Dixie Carter at TNA was aware of the decision early last week although it doesn't appear that most of the talent knew anything since word of things like this would get around quickly and this had not. Her knowing may have played a part in the move to Wednesday, but that is uncertain. Carter didn't respond to any questions on the subject.

There were officials from the network in Nashville this week meeting with the creative team on plans going forward.

The problem with TNA at Destination America is the curse of pro wrestling, that even the good numbers don't mean what they should because advertisers won't pay anywhere near the value for those viewers as for other sports or entertainment.

What makes the business a catch-22 is WWE has created a production look of what people think pro wrestling is supposed to look like on TV. The cost to get anywhere near that look costs money, and it's impossible to make that back in traditional ways unless you are WWE. So the only answer is either to be owned by a network, like ROH, but even they are limited because the network hasn't heavily invested in production or the product, or find a network willing to pay for the product, like Spike did for all those years. For the USA Network, wrestling is valuable because they are battling for the label of being No. 1 in prime time cable, and starting in January, with five hours per week of prime time wrestling. Even if they can't sell that advertising at the rate of lower rated shows, they can sell advertisers on being the most watched prime time network. For Spike, they were at the time looking at building a channel for guys, and pro wrestling is guys entertainment with a very loyal viewership. Plus, with Spike, because of the programming they did, the hope was wrestling would bring an audience into the station that they could promote other shows, whether it be Bar Rescue or Bellator, off. With Destination America, whatever viewers TNA brings in, that viewership doesn't mesh nearly as well with the rest of the network's programming.

TNA had multiple suitors last year coming off Spike, although they ended up making a deal with a virtually unknown station with less than full national clearance. Even though the quality of the programming is better, it hasn't created new interest in the product. In the television industry, being canceled two straight years, which is still not a definite although those at the station have not been told anything new since official word was given of the cancellation, is not a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread