What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (10 Viewers)

Just read Owens has signed a contract with the WWE roster
I would imagine he would have to in order to be on a WWE PPV, right? Or is NXT truly managed like a minor league farm system for WWE, to which a contract covers work in both areas?

Just read Owens has signed a contract with the WWE roster
I would imagine he would have to in order to be on a WWE PPV, right? Or is NXT truly managed like a minor league farm system for WWE, to which a contract covers work in both areas?
Not sure?

Kevin Owens Has Signed A WWE Main Roster Contract, Will Continue To Support His Family

According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the current NXT Champion and thorn in John Cena’s side has signed a main roster contract with WWE and “will be making the transition from the NXT brand to the main brand quickly.” That’s good news for his family, whom he is tasked to provide for, and bad news for anybody hoping to wrestle over the summer and keep their spine in place.

This raises two very important questions: How does the signing change the potential outcome of Owens’ match with Cena at Elimination Chamber, and what does it mean for his career in NXT? Here’s what we know:

He is booked for all Raw television going forward and will be starting on a full house show scheduled very soon. He will continue as a character on NXT television for the couple of months to where it’s a smooth transition out since he’s the group’s current champion.

From Wrestlezone:

NXT Champion Kevin Owens has been added to the advertised roster for almost every WWE RAW television taping from now until August 17th, the go-home show to the annual SummerSlam pay-per-view.

Owens will face U.S. Champion John Cena at this weekend’s Elimination Chamber special on the WWE Network, and is listed for Monday’s episode of RAW in San Antonio, TX. Whether this is intentional or they just haven’t updated the advertising yet, Owens is not listed for next month’s Money in the Bank event, but is listed for WWE Battleground on July 19th.

WWE.com does not yet list K.O. on their main roster page of Superstars and Divas, but that may simply be due to him still holding the NXT Championship. As the next NXT Takeover live special hasn’t been announced yet, it’s safe to assume Owens will retain his title for at least two, if not the next three months.

For the first time, it would appear the company is using their top NXT star and current champion to represent the Network-exclusive brand on WWE television, meaning that he is both a main roster star and an NXT star.

That was quick. Wonder if he will be dropping the title to Balor or Joe soon.

NXT might suck soon.

That was quick. Wonder if he will be dropping the title to Balor or Joe soon.

NXT might suck soon.
The rebuild continues like 96' just keep throwing NXT young guys and hope a few stick. Never will get lucky like the Rock and StoneCold but just keep doing it!

WWE interested in NJPW champion AJ Styles?

He's been champion just about everywhere. What could McMahon offer him besides lots of cash? Is 300+ days per year on the road worth it? I would imagine his run with the Bullet Club in NJPW would be better for him - fewer cards, less travel, etc.

But, who knows? :shrug:
Personal pride? Ego? I'd think if he's so great he would want to prove it on, let's be honest, the only stage that matters mainstream wise.
Oh come the #### on. He's got plenty of exposure in New Japan being their title holder and he owes WWE nothing, especially when they low-balled him after he left TNA. There's a much bigger world out there than just what bat#### Vince provides.
Actually there isn't. Nobody except hardcore fans give a crap about New Japan, ROH, or any Indy bull####. If Styles wants to be a star, he needs Vince. Seth Rollins was on the Today show and John Stewart for ####s sake.
Just because you are ignorant on anything outside of WWE doesn't mean Styles is missing out on some magical fortune by refusing to work 300 days a year and work 4 minute matches with Bo Dallas. Instead, he is the champion of Japan and is the top dog in the Bullet Club, which is rapidly becoming a big brand in America and even globally. NJPW pays their top talent extremely well and, while he may be leaving a little bit of money on the table by not working for Vince, he also works about half the dates and has a ton more freedom.I get why guys like Owens (family) and Joe (challenge) sign with WWE...just like I get why Styles doesn't.
Bottom line is, for myself and a #### load of "casual" (WWE) wrestling fans, Styles will be a name we've heard, but a guy who could never make it in the big leagues.

Are we going to need to add wrestling to that snob thread?

Kevin Owens Has Signed A WWE Main Roster Contract, Will Continue To Support His Family

According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the current NXT Champion and thorn in John Cena’s side has signed a main roster contract with WWE and “will be making the transition from the NXT brand to the main brand quickly.” That’s good news for his family, whom he is tasked to provide for, and bad news for anybody hoping to wrestle over the summer and keep their spine in place.

This raises two very important questions: How does the signing change the potential outcome of Owens’ match with Cena at Elimination Chamber, and what does it mean for his career in NXT? Here’s what we know:

He is booked for all Raw television going forward and will be starting on a full house show scheduled very soon. He will continue as a character on NXT television for the couple of months to where it’s a smooth transition out since he’s the group’s current champion.
Who doesn't wrestle to support their family? Why the big deal with this guy?

He's been champion just about everywhere. What could McMahon offer him besides lots of cash? Is 300+ days per year on the road worth it? I would imagine his run with the Bullet Club in NJPW would be better for him - fewer cards, less travel, etc.

Personal pride? Ego? I'd think if he's so great he would want to prove it on, let's be honest, the only stage that matters mainstream wise.
Oh come the #### on. He's got plenty of exposure in New Japan being their title holder and he owes WWE nothing, especially when they low-balled him after he left TNA. There's a much bigger world out there than just what bat#### Vince provides.
Actually there isn't. Nobody except hardcore fans give a crap about New Japan, ROH, or any Indy bull####. If Styles wants to be a star, he needs Vince. Seth Rollins was on the Today show and John Stewart for ####s sake.
Just because you are ignorant on anything outside of WWE doesn't mean Styles is missing out on some magical fortune by refusing to work 300 days a year and work 4 minute matches with Bo Dallas. Instead, he is the champion of Japan and is the top dog in the Bullet Club, which is rapidly becoming a big brand in America and even globally. NJPW pays their top talent extremely well and, while he may be leaving a little bit of money on the table by not working for Vince, he also works about half the dates and has a ton more freedom.I get why guys like Owens (family) and Joe (challenge) sign with WWE...just like I get why Styles doesn't.
Bottom line is, for myself and a #### load of "casual" (WWE) wrestling fans, Styles will be a name we've heard, but a guy who could never make it in the big leagues.

Are we going to need to add wrestling to that snob thread?
I think that casual fans care more about the highlighted points above, and veteran wrestlers like Styles care more about the money and respect from their peers over adulation from casual fans.

I was recently listening to an episode of Wooooo! Nation (Flair's new podcast). Flair was saying that Hansen and Brody were making $20K a week in New Japan during the 80s. Flair sounded downright jealous. Vader also made more cash in Japan than America. Despite many of their best years and matches being in Japan, Vader, Hansen, and Brody are all considered Hall of Famers among American wrestlers, and all three are certified legends in Japan.

Sure WWE dwarfs New Japan internationally, but New Japan is (I'm guessing) the second biggest wrestling organization in the world. New Japan is a big league. It's not like Styles is in the Indies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who doesn't wrestle to support their family? Why the big deal with this guy?
Part of his shtick. He's not there to make friends, he's just there to support his family. He is a prize fighter and does it for the money.

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

Bottom line is, for myself and a #### load of "casual" (WWE) wrestling fans, Styles will be a name we've heard, but a guy who could never make it in the big leagues.Are we going to need to add wrestling to that snob thread?
Probably. You're really coming off as some elitist douchecanoe with how you're attached to Vince's knob.

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

Bottom line is, for myself and a #### load of "casual" (WWE) wrestling fans, Styles will be a name we've heard, but a guy who could never make it in the big leagues.Are we going to need to add wrestling to that snob thread?
Probably. You're really coming off as some elitist douchecanoe with how you're attached to Vince's knob.
I was actually talking about the Indy loving marks being the snobs.

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

So the people who enjoy a wide array of wrestling in various formats on a global scale are the snobs instead of the guy who is praising nothing but a single product? :loco:

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

So the people who enjoy a wide array of wrestling in various formats on a global scale are the snobs instead of the guy who is praising nothing but a single product? :loco:
How dare us like more than one wrestling promotion.

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

WWE is like the pop music of wrestling. Mainstream, most popular. It's "cool" to hate on that.

RBM said:
Brady Marino said:
RBM said:
Brady Marino said:

WWE is like the pop music of wrestling. Mainstream, most popular. It's "cool" to hate on that.
So you're comparing your taste in wrestling to that of a 12 year old girl?

so i am definitely not a dedicated fan like most are in this thread, but i love this Lucha Underground. what is crazier is it's in Spanish so i can't understand 90% of it, but still seems better than most that is out there

so i am definitely not a dedicated fan like most are in this thread, but i love this Lucha Underground. what is crazier is it's in Spanish so i can't understand 90% of it
:lol: English version is on El Rey Network (if you get that channel). My guess you watched it on UniMas.

Yes it is very good. Backstage segments are great.

so i am definitely not a dedicated fan like most are in this thread, but i love this Lucha Underground. what is crazier is it's in Spanish so i can't understand 90% of it
:lol: English version is on El Rey Network (if you get that channel). My guess you watched it on UniMas.

i don't get El Rey for some reason. pretty funny considering how much i pay DirecTV.

Yeah that's bad considering how many other channels no one watches are included with those tv packages

It's one of channels on Sling tv ($20).

:lol: English version is on El Rey Network (if you get that channel). My guess you watched it on UniMas.Yes it is very good. Backstage segments are great.
i don't get El Rey for some reason. pretty funny considering how much i pay DirecTV.
Ch 341

:lol: English version is on El Rey Network (if you get that channel). My guess you watched it on UniMas.Yes it is very good. Backstage segments are great.
Ch 341
i can't figure out why, but it is blocked out for me.

No idea why it's the case but looks like el rey is only available with ultimate & premier packages for dtv (for my area anyway). May be why blocked. Good enough reason to call & get ur bill reduced lol

They did a pretty nice job putting together this makeshift ppv. I always liked the chamber matches, plus Rollins-Ambrose and the big one, Cena-Owens. I'm dying to see how they book that. I imagine Cena will go over but they need to keep Owens very strong.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
modogg said:

I looked for it on my provider. I only have it on a spanish speaking channel. Wrestling looks good, but without understanding what's going on I gave up after a couple shows.

RBM said:
They did a pretty nice job putting together this makeshift ppv. I always liked the chamber matches, plus Rollins-Ambrose and the big one, Cena-Owens. I'm dying to see how they book that. I imagine Cena will go over but they need to keep Owens very strong.
It has potential. I'm guessing it'll be a Cena wins the battle, but loses the war kind of thing.

The WWE has reeeally been playing up the "brotherhood" of Reigns and Ambrose, so you gotta figure they have something in mind with those 2 either tonight or down the road.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
modogg said:
I looked for it on my provider. I only have it on a spanish speaking channel. Wrestling looks good, but without understanding what's going on I gave up after a couple shows.
The episodes are on YouTube as well.

Gottabesweet said:
It is refreshing seeing Cena just buried with the US Championship for the summer.

Clearly getting a Reigns turn on Ambrose this weekend?

Rollins keeps using the pedigree- potential SummerSlam match?
I thought giving him the US title was dumb at first but I kinda like the way they're using Cena to get some of the younger guys over

Helluva match b/w Owens and Cena

ETA: NM

I'm not the biggest Cena fan, but he has put on some great matches since he got the US belt

Can't believe they gave him the belt right away
I'm not the biggest Cena fan, but he has put on some great matches since he got the US belt
What do you mean? It was non-title match
Great match. If you didn't believe in Kevin Owens before, I hope you do now.

It's like Babe Ruth just got struck out by Engle

I don't think that's happening....
The title wasn't on the line for that match?
Best match I've seen in a long time... so glad they didn't go the typical WWE booking route on that one
I guess the only thing with that is where does he go? He beat Cena out of the gate...so he doesn't have a need to beat him again. Unless there's a character modification on Cena' part......I don't see how you can sell a feud between them.

Maybe they run Owens as a complete anti-establishment figure and have him go after HHH next?

Best match I've seen in a long time... so glad they didn't go the typical WWE booking route on that one
I guess the only thing with that is where does he go? He beat Cena out of the gate...so he doesn't have a need to beat him again. Unless there's a character modification on Cena' part......I don't see how you can sell a feud between them.

Maybe they run Owens as a complete anti-establishment figure and have him go after HHH next?
I think they'll do like they did with him and Lesnar. Cena will work harder and come out on top next time. Maybe Cena will put his career on the line. Something like that.

But I agree. They're starting him right at the top. And people thought Reigns was pushed too quickly.

Owens doesn't want it. Feels it's beneath him and much less than the belt he already holds.
I guess that's a plausible angle....but non-title matches are so freaking dumb

Im guessing theyll probably just have him throw his weight around a little bit, run his mouth and pick fights... probably won't push him in to any title matches until he gets established more. Kind of like what Rusev did except on a bigger scale.

Im guessing theyll probably just have him throw his weight around a little bit, run his mouth and pick fights... probably won't push him in to any title matches until he gets established more. Kind of like what Rusev did except on a bigger scale.
That feels stale though. Beating Cena clean and then beating the hell out of Ziggler/Neville or any other Face is counter-productive. IMO, he's going to go after HHH next and they'll set Owens up as the anti-establishment guy. HHH will want to congratulate him on RAW tomorrow....Owens will tell him to go to hell (maybe make up some story about HHH burying him on the independent level or never giving him a chance to shine), HHH will feel the need to defend the honor of the company at the next PPV and then Owens will beat him.

That feels stale though. Beating Cena clean and then beating the hell out of Ziggler/Neville or any other Face is counter-productive. IMO, he's going to go after HHH next and they'll set Owens up as the anti-establishment guy. HHH will want to congratulate him on RAW tomorrow....Owens will tell him to go to hell (maybe make up some story about HHH burying him on the independent level or never giving him a chance to shine), HHH will feel the need to defend the honor of the company at the next PPV and then Owens will beat him.
Yea I get what you're saying but if he came out and had a brawl with Ambrose or something that would be pretty sweet (assuming Ambrose doesnt win tonight - unlikely).

Im sure they have a plan for him, we'll see if its a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread