What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (11 Viewers)

I never had access to that promotion on TV up here in the northeast.

Did Erik wrestle under a character name or under Erik Watts if I want to search youtube?
You didn't have TBS in 1992?  He was pushed to the moon in WCW with no rhyme or reason (aside from being the son of the booker), scoring wins over most of the Dangerous Alliance.  He's famous for having the worst dropkick ever.    He did eventually get a job working for the WWF (wrestling in the terrible Teckno 2000 tag team), ECW and TNA - so somebody must've liked him.

Last edited by a moderator:
NewlyRetired said:
my bad.  I was associating Bill Watts with UWF for some reason, not WCW.  I did watch a little bit of WCW back then on TBS but not a lot.
He ran that before JCP bought him out, so it makes sense.  The UWF was pretty awesome.  Too bad he didn't bring a lot of his booking ideas back when he was head of WCW.  Instead we got stupid ideas like no top rope moves and stuff like that.

Nothing on Raw or SD this week.  Both shows must have sucked.

I liked the RKO #OuttaNoWhere on Lesnar.  That looked good, and he appeared genuinely surprised.  

The Enzo/Sasha banter at the beginning wasn't too bad either.  Sasha on her own was pretty horrible.  She needed others up there to calm the nerves I guess.

Nothing on Raw or SD this week.  Both shows must have sucked.

I liked the RKO #OuttaNoWhere on Lesnar.  That looked good, and he appeared genuinely surprised.  

The Enzo/Sasha banter at the beginning wasn't too bad either.  Sasha on her own was pretty horrible.  She needed others up there to calm the nerves I guess.
I thought Smackdown was better than raw this week. They are doing a great job building Ziggler back up, and Ambrose has been killing it in promos, with no sign of "Goofy Ambrose" yet.

I hated that opening Raw segment so much. I feel like Jericho was ok, and everyone else was awful. The Enzo/Sasha banter made me feel bad for Sasha. I actually feel like Enzo on his own is pretty awful, his whole dynamic with Big Cass is what makes both of them look great. By himself, he came off like a joke.

The CWC was outstanding yet again. If people have the Network, and aren't watching it, they are really missing out. In my opinion this is the best thing in wrestling in 2016. The atmosphere, the announcing, and the skill of the competitors is all excellent. Daniel Bryan has been a revelation as a color commentator, explaining how/why certain submissions work, and having the energy to keep up with Mauro when things get fast paced.

Having never seen him before, Jack Gallagher might have been the most impressive person so far. I don't even know how to describe him, William Regal crossed with Conan O'Brien? The Gargano/Ciampa match was outstanding, and probably a match of the year candidate, they both showed more than they have been given the chance to on NXT to date. 

Speaking of NXT, I really like where this Asuka/Bayley feud seems to be heading. I'm really pumped for Takeover Brooklyn again. That match, Joe/Nakamura, possibly Revival/Gargano+Ciampa, could all be awesome.

Thought both shows were really good this week.  So far the brand split has been really positive.  There's trying some new/old stuff and so far it's working.  Loved the Cena/Styles promo on Smackdown Tuesday night. 

Haven't had a chance to watch Smackdown yet, but I thought Raw was pretty decent, if unspectacular. Obviously, it'd be crazy to think they could match the lightning in a bottle they caught the week before, but it does feel like a viable show.

Also, if you can find a way to watch Raw and Smackdown without commercials, it's 10 times better.

I really enjoyed going to Smackdown. I didn't quite know what to think about seeing it without all the camera angles and commentators at first, glad I went.

On another note... christ, Matt Hardy did his entire Talk is Jericho interview in #Broken kayfabe.

Haven't had a chance to watch Smackdown yet, but I thought Raw was pretty decent, if unspectacular. Obviously, it'd be crazy to think they could match the lightning in a bottle they caught the week before, but it does feel like a viable show.

Also, if you can find a way to watch Raw and Smackdown without commercials, it's 10 times better.
Watching on Hulu is a revelation. Raw is 90 minutes and Smackdown is less. It's not like I run into Wrestling spoilers in my daily life, so it's not like watching an NFL game on delay (or even Bachelor in Paradise)

Watching on Hulu is a revelation. Raw is 90 minutes and Smackdown is less. It's not like I run into Wrestling spoilers in my daily life, so it's not like watching an NFL game on delay (or even Bachelor in Paradise)
The thing that sucks about watching Raw on Hulu, is they cut out a lot of stuff. Sometimes the stuff they cut is a lot better than the stuff they keep.

Welp.

Former WWE Intercontinental champion Shelton Benjamin, who was announced as returning to the Smackdown brand several weeks ago via a video package on Smackdown Live, announced this morning via Twitter he would not be returning as scheduled. 

Benjamin announced that he would be instead be undergoing surgery for a torn rotator cuff, so his wrestling career will be on hold until he is healed.  It appears Benjamin learned of the injury while undergoing a physical that would have cleared him to compete for the company.

Benjamin, 41, wrote that learning of the injury was a complete shock to him.  He thanked WWE for allowing him to find the injury and stated he "would be back" but that he must focus on the surgery and recovery.

Caught up on a few things this weekend:

Matt Hardy was amazing on Jericho, if for no other reason than staying in character for the full hour. And the way he pronounces Vince's last name cracks me up every single time. Jericho talking positively about TNA and giving them a full hour shows that he continues to be his own man outside of the WWE ring. Good for him.

CWC had it's best night last Wednesday. Jack Gallagher stole the show and had Daniel Bryan questioning his sexual preference in his first match. And Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa had the best overall match that told a great story.

Some podcast fans will really enjoy this weeks shows as David Shoemaker is going to be on Straight Shoot and Aubrey Sitterson is returning the favor by being on Shoemaker's Ringer podcast.

Bogart said:
CWC had it's best night last Wednesday. Jack Gallagher stole the show and had Daniel Bryan questioning his sexual preference in his first match. And Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa had the best overall match that told a great story.
Forgot I wanted to add to this, after listening to Straight Shoot this week: I am super into the push/evolution of Johnny Gargano, and it is because I saw Gargano wrestle in front of about 150 people 3 years ago at a local indie show. While not the main event, he was clearly the "special attraction" brought in to face one of the best local guys not in a storyline or feud. And he put on an amazing match, after landing at the airport 2 hours earlier. 

I need to make it a point to see more indie shows. As was said on the podcast, some guys are good for local talent, some guys are really bad, and some guys are going to be the next guys you see on NXT, then the main roster. Go out and support these guys early. It's like finding that indie band before they have that first hit.

Forgot I wanted to add to this, after listening to Straight Shoot this week: I am super into the push/evolution of Johnny Gargano, and it is because I saw Gargano wrestle in front of about 150 people 3 years ago at a local indie show. While not the main event, he was clearly the "special attraction" brought in to face one of the best local guys not in a storyline or feud. And he put on an amazing match, after landing at the airport 2 hours earlier. 

I need to make it a point to see more indie shows. As was said on the podcast, some guys are good for local talent, some guys are really bad, and some guys are going to be the next guys you see on NXT, then the main roster. Go out and support these guys early. It's like finding that indie band before they have that first hit.
I caught a few of Gargano's matches when he was in Pro Wrestling Ohio. He's the goods.

Speaking of PWO, they had a Michigan heel stable. :lmao:

I was fortunate enough see CM Punk come up in a promotion called Mid-American wrestling. We were the "front row guys" every show, and he would just slam us because we were always hammered. We were not Straight Edge. It was great and he was very talented way back then. It was basically a 100 person beer hall.

Roman sounds a lot more at ease on the mic.  Not a huge fan of his " I'm not a good guy" persona.......but he does seem to be more interesting.  

Tell me about Gino Hernandez 
Biggest heel, in my opinion, in WCCW in 1984-1985. Even bigger than the Freebirds at times. This was because most of the women in the building wanted to sleep with him, pissing off the rednecks who brought their wifes and girlfriends, and because he turned Chris Adams heel to form the Dynamic Duo. Before we even knew what a smark was, those of us who thought we knew better, championed Chris Adams even over the beloved Von Erichs. Gino took our babyface and made him bad.

I always remember Gino getting huge heat from outside of the ring, guys throwing beers and sodas in his face and him coming back for more. He wrestled Kerry Von Erich one night at the Sportatorium, and 80% of their match was outside the ring, in the crowd and right in front of a 9 year old Bogart. My stepdad somehow got pictures of someone throwing a coke directly in Gino's face, and got another picture of Kerry running right into a boot from Gino to the face.

The tag team of Hernandez and Adams was just as over as the Freebirds and Von Erichs, and the Hair vs Hair match at the Cotton Bowl against Kerry and Kevin was a classic. And not only does Gino and Chris lose, losing their hair, Gino lets himself get tackled by 5 foot nothing Chris Von Erich as he is trying to get away. The whole stadium went crazy.

His turn on Adams was the best thing for young Bogart because I got my favorite wrestler back, and would have been a great feud, but Hernandez died shortly after it started. I remember being shocked when I heard he had died and was fixated on the fact that he was only 28 years old.

Bogart said:
Biggest heel, in my opinion, in WCCW in 1984-1985. Even bigger than the Freebirds at times. This was because most of the women in the building wanted to sleep with him, pissing off the rednecks who brought their wifes and girlfriends, and because he turned Chris Adams heel to form the Dynamic Duo. Before we even knew what a smark was, those of us who thought we knew better, championed Chris Adams even over the beloved Von Erichs. Gino took our babyface and made him bad.

I always remember Gino getting huge heat from outside of the ring, guys throwing beers and sodas in his face and him coming back for more. He wrestled Kerry Von Erich one night at the Sportatorium, and 80% of their match was outside the ring, in the crowd and right in front of a 9 year old Bogart. My stepdad somehow got pictures of someone throwing a coke directly in Gino's face, and got another picture of Kerry running right into a boot from Gino to the face.

The tag team of Hernandez and Adams was just as over as the Freebirds and Von Erichs, and the Hair vs Hair match at the Cotton Bowl against Kerry and Kevin was a classic. And not only does Gino and Chris lose, losing their hair, Gino lets himself get tackled by 5 foot nothing Chris Von Erich as he is trying to get away. The whole stadium went crazy.

His turn on Adams was the best thing for young Bogart because I got my favorite wrestler back, and would have been a great feud, but Hernandez died shortly after it started. I remember being shocked when I heard he had died and was fixated on the fact that he was only 28 years old.
Good stuff. Yeah this I had an awareness of I was curious if you had any more of a local take on his last days and demise. Lots of innuendo goes on about that 

Good stuff. Yeah this I had an awareness of I was curious if you had any more of a local take on his last days and demise. Lots of innuendo goes on about that 
Obviously, a lot of talk about drugs, which I have no doubt. That entire locker room at the time I think was coked out of their mind. Some guys could just control it better. Some of the promos back then would be very hyped and glassy eyes.

Pics? 

Obviously, a lot of talk about drugs, which I have no doubt. That entire locker room at the time I think was coked out of their mind. Some guys could just control it better. Some of the promos back then would be very hyped and glassy eyes.
This is a fascinating watch

https://youtu.be/gjS7gOVb9J4

i think you can argue wrestling lost the biggest face and biggest heel of let's say a lost era or valley of 1989-1995 with Gino and magnum TA. 

Add to that, great point from the 605 super fast podcast (good listen for old fans) four guys all born within a year of each other:

magnum

david Von erich

scott hall

kevin nash

imagine if you had those two extra bodies in their prime In Monday night wars.  I haven't checked but I think Gino would be close in age. 

Gino was undersized but a good looking guy  I could envision him in savage's slot.  Or imagine Gino with the million dollar man gimmick  

sky was the limit for that guy

It's a Peyton Royce (NXT) kiss card, so it's lip prints on the card, it's also autographed and numbered out of 25.  I'm not sure who she is but I looked at her twitter and :wub:
Yeah, she is :wub: . I think she is going to break out soon as Bailey moves up to the main roster. You might hang on to it until then. 1 of 25 is pretty sweet.

Anyone collect WWE trading cards?  I got my son a box and I think he got something valuable.
Probably the best way to get an approximate market value on specialty WWE trading cards is to take the purchase price of the box, divide it by the number of trading cards in the box and then multiply by .90 and then subtract the purchase price of the box divided by number of cards multiplied by .9.  That should give you a reasonable per card value estimate.

I have to state this again, for those with the Network sleeping on the Cruiser Weight Classic....please enjoy some fantastic ####. It's just damn good rasslin.

You have probably seen this already but just in case you have not, this is a fabulous documetary on WCCW.  It is long at over 2.5 hours but I bet the first 15 minutes will hook you if you enjoyed that period of time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRGSgAyztY
Thank you for this link.  I watched the whole documentary spread out over two nights since it's so long, but also so in depth.  It's impossible to watch that documentary and not feel bad for Kevin Von Erich (and Fritz's wife for that matter.)

I'm now a long time lapsed fan of pro wrestling, but I grew up in WWF country in the Northeast and first started watching wresting sometime around '82 when I was seven years old.  I remember Backlund as WWF champion, and the tag team battles between the Strongbows, Fuji & Saito, the Samoans, Tony Atlas & Rocky Johnson, and Tony Garea & Rick Martel.  Good wrestling, but not great.  

Around that same time I remember flipping through my TV stations and stumbling upon wrestling that looked and felt completely different.  It was brighter, it had a distinctly Texas flavor, and the crowd was way more energetic.  I was instantly hooked on WCCW.  Hell, I'm in my forties but I'll still rock my Badstreet, USA t-shirt out in public with no shame. 

WCCW in the early to mid-80s was my favorite promotion, and then when WCCW started to trail off in the mid-80s the Mid-Atlantic started to hit its stride.  I'm the weird pro wrestling fan who grew up in the heart of WWF country, but always preferred Southern Rasslin'.  It was just better.

I've mentioned the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship on here before, but I bring it up again because the title has its own instagram page. Just about all of these title changes are funny; some are outright hilarious. Veda Scott lost the belt to Joey Ryan when she "tapped out" because Ryan took her glasses and she was pounding on the couch which the ref called a tap out. :lmao:  

This belt is the best shtick in wrestling right now. You don't even have to follow DDT; just watch the videos. :lmao:

SMackdown is in Austin tonight and it says it starts at 6pm.  I'm supposed to be on a call from 6-7:30.  When does it actually start?  If we show up at 7 will we have missed the first hour or is that the "dark" part of the evening and it gets going later in the evening?

Users who are viewing this thread