What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (2 Viewers)

I'm not saying they are devoid of guidance. They have to prove themselves to me. So far, they've followed the blueprint that Jobs had laid out. Now they are beginning to chart their own course. We will know shortly if they have the goods to continue in Jobs' footsteps. I think they'll be "ok" but not close to Jobs. Time will tell. They are following the Jordan of computers.
Is the bolded true? I thought Jobs was strongly against both the Mini entry (didn't want to chase others doing it and take market share away from the iPad) and cheaper versions of the iPhone (didn't want to via from the premium branding). Aside from stock politics, that seems like a large chunk of Apple's post-Jobs product launches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I hate this stock. I knew I should have bought last summer. I knew I should have bought early this year. I knew I should have bought right after the split announcement.

But, I never did.

I know I should buy once it does split or wait for a minor sell off, no? Argh!

As an investor, I think the iPhone 6 hype is all baked in at this point. Catalysts in the short term are the watch (rumors that it may be announced on 9/9 as well a la "one more thing"), but perhaps even bigger is the rumor that an NFC chip will be included. If that happens, and an agreement with Visa follows, this could be a monster source of revenue moving forward.

I think Apple being in position to make a semi-seamless transition to the electronic iWallet is a goldmine. They have double the credit cards on file as Amazon.

As an investor, I think the iPhone 6 hype is all baked in at this point. Catalysts in the short term are the watch (rumors that it may be announced on 9/9 as well a la "one more thing"), but perhaps even bigger is the rumor that an NFC chip will be included. If that happens, and an agreement with Visa follows, this could be a monster source of revenue moving forward.

I think Apple being in position to make a semi-seamless transition to the electronic iWallet is a goldmine. They have double the credit cards on file as Amazon.
:yes:

They can't botch the security implementation of the NFC chip though. It's a phenomenal opportunity that would be brought to a screeching halt (never to be addressed again) if it proves to be unsafe. Their track record in the security arena has been suspect at best for whatever reason.

They can't botch the security implementation of the NFC chip though. It's a phenomenal opportunity that would be brought to a screeching halt (never to be addressed again) if it proves to be unsafe. Their track record in the security arena has been suspect at best for whatever reason.
Agreed. Security is everything and key to making the transition.

Stock keeps going up leading into next week's event. Any intention to sell off prior to or right after the event? 2 years ago was the big collapse right after the 5 unveiling. Obviously a lot is different this time.

Stock keeps going up leading into next week's event. Any intention to sell off prior to or right after the event? 2 years ago was the big collapse right after the 5 unveiling. Obviously a lot is different this time.
Tough call. I would lean toward expecting some profit taking, but if the iPhone6 has true "Wow" factor and/or there is a big "one more thing..." (iWatch, which I am skeptical we'll see, or something else big) then I could see a little more of a runup. That said... AAPL is already the most valuable company in the world... not sure how much further up they can go?

Tough call. I would lean toward expecting some profit taking, but if the iPhone6 has true "Wow" factor and/or there is a big "one more thing..." (iWatch, which I am skeptical we'll see, or something else big) then I could see a little more of a runup. That said... AAPL is already the most valuable company in the world... not sure how much further up they can go?
Potential deal between Apple and big 3 credit card providers might be in place, but no idea if retailers will cooperate.

Potential deal between Apple and big 3 credit card providers might be in place, but no idea if retailers will cooperate.
I've read these rumors. If so, this is another huge potential profit stream with virtually zero costs. What would the margins be? 90%? I mean, he NFC chip is already in the phone, so just updating the software, right?

I've read these rumors. If so, this is another huge potential profit stream with virtually zero costs. What would the margins be? 90%? I mean, he NFC chip is already in the phone, so just updating the software, right?
No....Apple will have some significant infrastructure work to do on the backend security wise if they want to do this correctly. That won't be a "cost" to the user specifically, but it will be one they'd have to factor in impacting the bottom line. The profitability will certainly increase with time, but there's a rather large "start up" cost if you will.

No....Apple will have some significant infrastructure work to do on the backend security wise if they want to do this correctly. That won't be a "cost" to the user specifically, but it will be one they'd have to factor in impacting the bottom line. The profitability will certainly increase with time, but there's a rather large "start up" cost if you will.
Yep.

To Apple's benefit... they've already got a large portion of the infrastructure in place with the iTunes Store already having payment processing in place, Cards on file, etc. However there will need to be a much more robust backend with consumer features (ability to bill to various cards, more in depth account management, etc)...plus I'm guessing this will require some degree of a more in-depth link between Apple and the payment processors than already exists. They're already at least halfway there, but there's work to do.

And agreed, security is paramount for this. One bad ####up and the trust is gone from the user's end.

Yep.

To Apple's benefit... they've already got a large portion of the infrastructure in place with the iTunes Store already having payment processing in place, Cards on file, etc. However there will need to be a much more robust backend with consumer features (ability to bill to various cards, more in depth account management, etc)...plus I'm guessing this will require some degree of a more in-depth link between Apple and the payment processors than already exists. They're already at least halfway there, but there's work to do.

And agreed, security is paramount for this. One bad ####up and the trust is gone from the user's end.
To that end, any backlash expected from the hacks of the celeb icloud accounts?

Yep.

If we are talking about visa, mastercard and amex, they'll have to abide by THEIR standards...not their own Apple standards. They'll have to learn to play nice. Today their interactions are purely transaction based.

Yep.

Yep.

Outside the random fAndroid fanbois losing their minds and finger wagging on online forums (which is ironic as hell given all the security issues with android), I'd be surprised. Apple has built up a lot of trust in the consumer's mind.

Yep.

If we are talking about visa, mastercard and amex, they'll have to abide by THEIR standards...not their own Apple standards. They'll have to learn to play nice. Today their interactions are purely transaction based.
Of course.

Any intention to sell off prior to or right after the event?
Would like to hear more about this.

APPL owners are you selling?
Selling covered calls to enhance the dividend. Average cost basis right now is 61.50 after selling some FEB 120's (premium taken in is $1.55). If they expire worthless I just increased my apple dividend to a yield of 5.2%. If the stock get's called away I bank a 95% gain and will buy the stock back and reset my cost basis (that's if I want to buy it back).

When the market is riding high I cover.

When it is selling off I sell puts on stocks I want to own.

For example two weeks ago I sold CAT January 87.50 puts and took in $3.40 per contract (sold 10 contracts = 1000 shares) took in a premium of $3400. i already own 500 shares of CAT but would love more at that price. But if it goes the other way I just enhanced my dividend of CAT...and of course these will expire worthless. And IMO they will expire worthless. I could buy them back right now at .83 cents.

I love options...and if you know what your doing you can enhance your return 2-3% on your portfolio.

Any intention to sell off prior to or right after the event?
Would like to hear more about this.

APPL owners are you selling?
Selling covered calls to enhance the dividend. Average cost basis right now is 61.50 after selling some FEB 120's (premium taken in is $1.55). If they expire worthless I just increased my apple dividend to a yield of 5.2%. If the stock get's called away I bank a 95% gain and will buy the stock back and reset my cost basis (that's if I want to buy it back).

When the market is riding high I cover.

When it is selling off I sell puts on stocks I want to own.

For example two weeks ago I sold CAT January 87.50 puts and took in $3.40 per contract (sold 10 contracts = 1000 shares) took in a premium of $3400. i already own 500 shares of CAT but would love more at that price. But if it goes the other way I just enhanced my dividend of CAT...and of course these will expire worthless. And IMO they will expire worthless. I could buy them back right now at .83 cents.

I love options...and if you know what your doing you can enhance your return 2-3% on your portfolio.
Damn I don't know what half that stuff means. Wish I could get more into reading up on this as it is way more important than the box scores I can stare at for hours. Sounds like you are doing well :thumbup:

I'm more of a buy stock A and hold for a long time kind of guy. Been buying and selling Apple for years now with decent results.

Getting close to selling off some of my shares and pocketing some gains, wait for the next big sell off of the market in general and then jump back in.

If this keeps up...no doubt going to be called away (FEB 120's are super expense now LOL). That's OK. Will take that gain and if I want to buy the stock back and reset the cost basis I will. But it's about time Apple started trading at a higher multiple. It was ridiculous how low it got.

If this keeps up...no doubt going to be called away (FEB 120's are super expense now LOL). That's OK. Will take that gain and if I want to buy the stock back and reset the cost basis I will. But it's about time Apple started trading at a higher multiple. It was ridiculous how low it got.
I've let this slide until now, but if you can't start speaking in english, you'll need to refrain from posting in this thread. :lol:

I've let this slide until now, but if you can't start speaking in english, you'll need to refrain from posting in this thread. :lol:
LOL!!! OK, OK no more industry jargon...my apologies.

Granted most stuff is going up but this is getting out of hand. Quite the run this stock has been on.
125 is enough at their current earnings. But speculation drives the price higher based on the new products and anticipated beats due to the holidays.

But I think 125 is a great top this year and then a natural pull back will occur 1st quarter next year.

Long term though? This stock can get to 142-150 a share over the next 18-24 months. Which would make it 1000 a share (tad more) pre split.

Right now it is on a euphoric run. One of my clients who is 80 years old asked about buying more (they have enough I told him).

So a correction is due soon on the price.

Granted most stuff is going up but this is getting out of hand. Quite the run this stock has been on.
125 is enough at there current earnings. But speculation drives the price higher based on the new products and anticipated beats due to the holidays.But I think 125 is a great top this year and then a natural pull back will occur 1st quarter next year.

Long term though? This stock can get to 142-150 a share over the next 18-24 months. Which would make it 1000 a share (tad more) pre split.

Right now it is on a euphoric run. One of my clients who is 80 years old asked about buying more (they have enough I told him).

Setting the price at 125 per Todem! I have been tempted to sell a few times but just keep pushing my stop loss number up instead. Seems like nothing but good news right now so figured why sell.Will be curious what happens if the watch totally flops.

125 is enough at there current earnings. But speculation drives the price higher based on the new products and anticipated beats due to the holidays.But I think 125 is a great top this year and then a natural pull back will occur 1st quarter next year.

Setting the price at 125 per Todem! I have been tempted to sell a few times but just keep pushing my stop loss number up instead. Seems like nothing but good news right now so figured why sell.Will be curious what happens if the watch totally flops.
That is the smart thing to do. Might as well run with it...keep pushing that stop up and at some point the ride will be over. But what a great ride this baby has been.

So with today's drop I'm out of Apple for the first time in a long time. I feel naked.

What are the stock pros out there doing with Apple?

So with today's drop I'm out of Apple for the first time in a long time. I feel naked.

Not that I'm a pro, but I'm pretty much trying to forget it is in my portfolio and just let it ride.

The General said:

Where were you stopped out at and what was your percentage gain?

I stopped out at 115 and 112. Am cash heavy now as AAPL was my largest holding. Wavering between moving into Chevron & Exxon on huge oil pullback, or simply buying back into AAPL if it dips further.

I stopped out at 115 and 112. Am cash heavy now as AAPL was my largest holding. Wavering between moving into Chevron & Exxon on huge oil pullback, or simply buying back into AAPL if it dips further.
How low does oil go? I might be interested in buying some commodity funds or oil heavy funds.

Users who are viewing this thread