What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
Bayhawks said:
Dr. Octopus said:
There was no "big back" on the roster for that game? I though we were just using generic "pass catching" and "big back" terms in our analysis.
Bolden was there, but he's a ST guy, not really a viable RB; they had cut Gray. I don't think I'm missing Antone, so no, in that game, BB didn't have a "big" RB available.
Bolden is 5'11", 220 pounds and had 139 carries at 4.56 yards per carry (and 25 receptions) entering his fourth season in the league. But feel free to ignore the facts that don't fit your narrative.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. That's why I included RBs like James White & Leon Washington when I looked at "pass-catching" RBs. :rolleyes:
So why don't Lewis' carries in Week 1 count?

When you stated that it's a "fact" that he's being used the same as previous "pass catching backs" did you disregard their carries during the weeks that Ridley, Blount, BJGE, Morris, Maroney etc. sat out with injuries?
I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse, or not. I'm inclined to say you are, but from your previous postings of yours that I remember reading, I've never gotten that vibe from you. :unsure:

Take this how you want, but you can feel free to go back and look at which games NO "big RB" was available for NE. Or feel free not to. Unlike you, I have no intention of arguing with you. You seem inclined to pick a fight with me, for some reason.

The numbers are what they are; BB isn't using Lewis as a runner significantly more than he has used his other "pass-situation" RBs since 2007.
Ok, fair enough and I'll let this one go. Guess your condescending "feel free to ignore my facts" jabs to other posters, while you seemed to miss the irony of the other factors that you were ignoring while continuously spouting your narrowly viewed "facts" just rubbed me the wrong way in this thread.

I think when all is said and done you'll be shown to be wrong here - but perhaps your caution will be warranted. I do think that you should back off a little and re-examine your "facts" and no be so dismissive of opposing viewpoints since your data is severely flawed it seems (I don't see how you can possibly miss the contradiction of ignoring Lewis' Week 1 carries while possibly using carries for the other "pass catching running backs" in similar situations), but that's up to you.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bayhawks said:
Dr. Octopus said:
There was no "big back" on the roster for that game? I though we were just using generic "pass catching" and "big back" terms in our analysis.
Bolden was there, but he's a ST guy, not really a viable RB; they had cut Gray. I don't think I'm missing Antone, so no, in that game, BB didn't have a "big" RB available.
Bolden is 5'11", 220 pounds and had 139 carries at 4.56 yards per carry (and 25 receptions) entering his fourth season in the league. But feel free to ignore the facts that don't fit your narrative.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. That's why I included RBs like James White & Leon Washington when I looked at "pass-catching" RBs. :rolleyes:
So why don't Lewis' carries in Week 1 count?

When you stated that it's a "fact" that he's being used the same as previous "pass catching backs" did you disregard their carries during the weeks that Ridley, Blount, BJGE, Morris, Maroney etc. sat out with injuries?
I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse, or not. I'm inclined to say you are, but from your previous postings of yours that I remember reading, I've never gotten that vibe from you. :unsure:

Take this how you want, but you can feel free to go back and look at which games NO "big RB" was available for NE. Or feel free not to. Unlike you, I have no intention of arguing with you. You seem inclined to pick a fight with me, for some reason.

The numbers are what they are; BB isn't using Lewis as a runner significantly more than he has used his other "pass-situation" RBs since 2007.
Ok, fair enough and I'll let this one go. Guess your condescending "feel free to ignore my facts" jabs to other posters, while you seemed to miss the irony of the other factors that you were ignoring while continuously spouting your narrowly viewed "facts" just rubbed me the wrong way in this thread.

I think when all is said and done you'll be shown to be wrong here - but perhaps your caution will be warranted. I do think that you should back off a little and re-examine your "facts" and no be so dismissive of opposing viewpoints since your data is severely flawed it seems (I don't see how you can possibly miss the contradiction of ignoring Lewis' Week 1 carries while possibly using carries for the other "pass catching running backs" in similar situations), but that's up to you.
Still not sure how I'm being dismissive of opposing viewpoints. If I felt like a valid point/argument was made, I adjusted my thinking. Note my reactions to Adam's recent posts, and packersfan's recent posts. I felt like they both made good points, and adjusted (at least directly in a post to Adam) my stance.

Just because I haven't come out and said "I was 100% wrong to have concerns about Lewis future FF output" doesn't mean I dismissed anyone's viewpoint. If I felt they were worth me adjusting my take, I did so, if I didn't, I didn't.

I apologize if my "ignore me if you disagree with me" comments came across as condescending and bothered you. They weren't meant as "these are the facts, but you can ignore them, if you want." I went back and looked at the first time I posted it, and it was in a response to packersfan where he said he didn't think a point I was making about BB's RB usage was worth arguing anymore. I posted that he should feel free to ignore it. Later in that same post, I did post (with regard to Lewis' TD/touch rate) "If you feel that this fact is irrelevant, feel free to disregard it, as well."

I wasn't trying to be a #####, but I can see how it could have been interpreted that way; I legitimately was saying that if packersfan didn't think discussing BB's past RB usage was relevant, he didn't need to respond to my posts about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen- we appreciate the in depth analysis of statistics, trends, etc. but at this point can you two just get a room.

Bayhawks, I understand your perspective on lowering expectations based on well founded data and historical trends but WE GET IT! Lewis's potential upside is somewhat capped by his low volume of rushes but we are also watching this guy go out and produce FF points every week and more than pass the eye test while doing it.

Caution heeded on expectations but let's move on. Just a suggestion but please, let's move on.

More discussion of how Solder's injury or upcoming matchups may impact Lewis' production would be much appreciated. Again, just my respectful suggestion.

So just as an FYI...some folks were asking about trade value.

Just did in redraft: Edelman/Alf-for-Lewis. Could have held out for more but I'm stacked at RB (Gurley, Martin, Ivory)...almost had to deal one of mine. But I love Lewis...think he's the real deal.

Scenario 1: If the Patriots are at the 1 I would expect Blount to be on the field.

Scenario 2: If the Patriots are between the 10 2 and 2 I would expect Lewis to be on the field.

Now ask yourself when assessing value - which of those two scenarios do you think is more likely to occur?
fixed! :hifive:

So just as an FYI...some folks were asking about trade value.

Just did in redraft: Edelman/Alf-for-Lewis. Could have held out for more but I'm stacked at RB (Gurley, Martin, Ivory)...almost had to deal one of mine. But I love Lewis...think he's the real deal.
Another one for trade value - I gave Fitz/Crabtree for Dion/Martavis before week 5. Non-PPR. I'm also very high on Lewis, although I did find Bayhawks stats on his usage to be good context. In non-PPR I expect him to have a handful of games where he doesn't score and is in the 5-7 point range.

BOOM. Another great post. Getting the same value in touches as a guy who gets 30 rushes a game without the injury risk or breakdown wear and tear a 30 carry back would experience. Also factor in that his 9 or so rushes is presenting more value than the average rusher as he makes so many people miss to a point he is on anotehr level making his point per rush value much higher than avg. Also factor in his offense is puttign him in scoring position more than an average back. Its a recipe for success, long term success a 30 carry per game back would not have. Oh and he is only 25. :thumbup:
In fairness, no RB is going to average 29 carries per game without a single reception. A more likely comparison would be vs. a 22-carry, 2-reception back, or a 19-carry, 3-reception back. I was just showing how extreme the value differential would be for a theoretical back that never caught any passes at all.
True, I think we all know the 30 carry RB days are behind us , that's 480 carries. :eek: But you get my points earned off recs are less likely to get hit by the "big guys" or take a pounding up the middle. I would prefer if Blount took those higher risk for head injury carries on 3rd and 4th and short, unless that re on the goal line or manage to throw to the flats. This guy is getting almost no wear and tear on his body each game compared to a typical 20+ carry guy, and still earns the same amount of points. Look at the pounding Forte, Jamaal, Arian Foster, Bell, Lacy, Lynch and similar premier RB1s etc. take compared to Dion. Its a recipe for longevity.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bayhawks said:
Just Win Baby said:
Bayhawks said:
packersfan said:
davearm said:
Lewis is nothing like Faulk, Woodhead or Vereen. Nothing like them at all. The continued insistence on comparing him to RBs who are nothing like him just doesn't make any sense to me.
You're dramatically overstating this. Those 4 guys are more similar than different. JMHO.
I think Lewis is a much better runner than any of those guys. I would categorize those three as receiving RBs who can/could run it a bit. I would categorize Lewis as a 3-down back. Possibly not built for 20-25 carries a game but a far more effective runner than any of those three.
I agree with you, but to this point, BBs usage of him (with the exception of week 1 when Blount was out), doesn't show that he does. Lewis is "only" getting 7 carries a game, which is in line with how BB used those RBs.
To be accurate, Lewis has 36 rushing attempts in 4 games, which is 9 carries per game.
I've posted, many times, that when I say 7 rushes/game, I'm talking about games when Blount was available.
In reality, no, there wasn't a big back available. Cadet was inactive, White is the backup small, and Bolden is ineffective. Lewis was the only capable RB in the opening game.

packersfan said:
Bottom line I don't think there will be "Lewis games" and "Blount games" like there used to be "Vereen games" and "Blount games." I think every game will be a Lewis game given his role and what he's shown. Blount's the one who I believe will be more matchup dependent for fantasy owners.
This is my problem with comparing him to Vereen. I totally respect where Adam is coming from with the "rich-man Vereen" comp, but he was very much a dice roll and his big games offset his games where he didn't see the field much. Basically the type of player I don't like to roster (ideally) while Dion Lewis will have a safe floor every single week.

ITT: People arguing as to whether or not their waiver wire pick-up is a high-end RB1 or just a middling RB1 ROS.
Handle/Post
That's a great point! Vereen was a crap shoot week to week, stinkers or bliss. Averaged out it seems playable as an RB2 for his good years, however Lewis is a different beast all together. I think as the season goes on this will become more and more clear. With only 4 games played both sides of the argument have legs to stand on, but I expect one side will start crumbling soon and next year Lewis will be a top 24 pick in redraft, barring injury.

The kid already has a highlight reel in 4 games played and his pre-season games that would make most careers in this league. The more time he plays the more of you will come around. I can wait. :yes:

Dr. Octopus said:
Bayhawks said:
Just Win Baby said:
Bayhawks said:
packersfan said:
davearm said:
Lewis is nothing like Faulk, Woodhead or Vereen. Nothing like them at all. The continued insistence on comparing him to RBs who are nothing like him just doesn't make any sense to me.
You're dramatically overstating this. Those 4 guys are more similar than different. JMHO.
I think Lewis is a much better runner than any of those guys. I would categorize those three as receiving RBs who can/could run it a bit. I would categorize Lewis as a 3-down back. Possibly not built for 20-25 carries a game but a far more effective runner than any of those three.
I agree with you, but to this point, BBs usage of him (with the exception of week 1 when Blount was out), doesn't show that he does. Lewis is "only" getting 7 carries a game, which is in line with how BB used those RBs.
To be accurate, Lewis has 36 rushing attempts in 4 games, which is 9 carries per game.
I've posted, many times, that when I say 7 rushes/game, I'm talking about games when Blount was available.
In reality, no, there wasn't a big back available. Cadet was inactive, White is the backup small, and Bolden is ineffective. Lewis was the only capable RB in the opening game.
4.56 ypc is ineffective?

Ian Rapaport is saying on Twitter that he traded Brady for Eli and Dion. I know it's Ian Rapaport, but if we're talking trade value, I figure it's worth mentioning.

[icon] said:
HEY Bayhawks:

Please list the RBs you have ahead of Lewis the rest of the way in PPR.

TIA :popcorn:
Bump
Why?
You're going through the effort of posting a good 20-30 times in this thread to impress your opinion of where Dion falls within the Running Back pool... why WOULDN'T you want to list the 10....12....15 RB's you have ranked above him in PPR?

Seems like a logical extension of your vigorous posting in here. I think it would help make your point much more clearly. It seems I'm not the only one curious about your rankings.

So please... list the PPR RB's you have ahead of DLewis the rest of the season.

Dr. Octopus said:
Bayhawks said:
Just Win Baby said:
Bayhawks said:
packersfan said:
davearm said:
4.56 ypc is ineffective?
To my eye, yes. When lined up in the "big back" role ( ie. typical run formation), Bolden appears to get less production than the other backs that have filled this role. Honestly, I'm surprised that his ypc is that good. Most Bolden runs look like run 2 yards into the line and fall down, as I recall them.

In this context, this seems like a silly argument. Blount & Lewis are both filling the big back/receiving back roles at about the same rates as previous pairings when both are available. In the game they weren't both available, NE determined Lewis was a better fit for the "big" role than Bolden, not because they're caught up on having a big back or a small back, but rather in how each player can execute a given role.

I would argue that given the 3 game sample we have, that when NE goes heavy run, Blount will ( most likely ) be in the game. When they go spread, Lewis will be in. When they go no huddle, Lewis will be in... etc.

In my view, the big back / small back roles are easier terminology to differentiate the roles, but in reality I think there are several personnel groupings that are in use in the NE offense, and Lewis is a part of a larger percentage of those groupings, and therefore will have a higher percentage of snaps and opportunities.

[icon] said:
HEY Bayhawks:

Bump
Why?
You're going through the effort of posting a good 20-30 times in this thread to impress your opinion of where Dion falls within the Running Back pool... why WOULDN'T you want to list the 10....12....15 RB's you have ranked above him in PPR?

Seems like a logical extension of your vigorous posting in here. I think it would help make your point much more clearly. It seems I'm not the only one curious about your rankings.

I've gone to the effort of posting because this is a FF message board, and he's a player that I have a vested interest in, and I have an opinion that I like to balance with other opinions. I don't care who I might impress with my thoughts or who might be unimpressed with them. I didn't realize that we were limited to a specific amount of posts in a given thread. :shrug:

1-I have expressed several times that my perspective is from non-PPR, as I don't play in PPR leagues (outside of DFS).

2-I have also expressed that I hope he is going to continue to put up high-end RB2 numbers. Since I'm talking about this from a non-PPR perspective, and Lewis' value is higher in PPR scoring, it would stand to reason that I think he will be a RB1 in PPR from here on out.

In no particular order:

Bell

ADP

Forte

Lacy

Freeman

Lynch

Foster (assuming health, but then again, I'm guessing we are assuming Lewis will remain healthy, too)

I would have had Charles in here, of course, if he hadn't gotten hurt.

And I'd probably have Lewis in the next "tier" along with guys like Ingram, Martin, Gio if Hill continues to suck, maybe Ivory and L. Murray, although I'm not sold on the last 2 (especially Ivory, if we're talking PPR).

So, in PPR, a mid to low-end RB1, but not top-5 as I've seen suggested in this thread.

In non-PPR, Lewis' value would drop some, b/c a lot of my expected value for him would come from the number of receptions he will likely have, but I'd guess I'd still have him in top-15.

ETA-do you mind me asking what purpose this was supposed to serve?

[icon] said:
HEY Bayhawks:

Bump
Why?

1-I have expressed several times that my perspective is from non-PPR, as I don't play in PPR leagues (outside of DFS).

2-I have also expressed that I hope he is going to continue to put up high-end RB2 numbers. Since I'm talking about this from a non-PPR perspective, and Lewis' value is higher in PPR scoring, it would stand to reason that I think he will be a RB1 in PPR from here on out.

In no particular order:

Bell

ADP

Forte

Lacy

Freeman

Lynch

Foster (assuming health, but then again, I'm guessing we are assuming Lewis will remain healthy, too)

And I'd probably have Lewis in the next "tier" along with guys like Ingram, Martin, Gio if Hill continues to suck, maybe Ivory and L. Murray, although I'm not sold on the last 2 (especially Ivory, if we're talking PPR).

In non-PPR, Lewis' value would drop some, b/c a lot of my expected value for him would come from the number of receptions he will likely have, but I'd guess I'd still have him in top-15.

So what exactly are you continuously arguing about or advocating in here?

[icon] said:
HEY Bayhawks:

Bump
Why?

In no particular order:

Bell

ADP

Forte

Lacy

Freeman

Lynch

So what exactly are you continuously arguing about or advocating in here?
You can read my posts; it's all in there. No hidden messages.

Lewis (in non-PPR) won't be a RB1; I don't think he will get enough carries, b/c BB hasn't done so with "pass-catching" RBs in the recent past. BB is using Lewis in much the same way as he has used Vereen, Woodhead, Faulk in the past, and as a result, I feel that his ceiling is capped, so to speak. In PPR, his value is obviously higher.

Lewis (in non-PPR) won't be a RB1; I don't think he will get enough carries, b/c BB hasn't done so with "pass-catching" RBs in the recent past. BB is using Lewis in much the same way as he has used Vereen, Woodhead, Faulk in the past, and as a result, I feel that his ceiling is capped, so to speak. In PPR, his value is obviously higher.
Duly noted. Your point has been made (ad nauseam) and isn't that far off from what many are saying tbh.

Can we move on now?

Duly noted. Your point has been made (ad nauseam) and isn't that far off from what many are saying tbh.

Can we move on now?
You can move on whenever the mood strikes you; as far as I know no one is being forced to read my posts, or this thread.

Even with the banter, this is a pretty good thread by shark pool standards. A lot of discussion in here on this guy - 27 pages since September.

Just enjoy the ride, I'm loving watching this thunder and lightning stuff every week.

As far as the Solder injury goes... For comparison I'll point to 2011 when the Pats lost Matt Light (also a good LT) for a 5 week stretch.

Averages with Light:

TotYds - 368

PaYds - 251

RuYds - 116

Averages without Light (Week 6-10)

TotYds - 486

PaYds - 355

RuYds - 131

It's a small sample and there is some apples in oranges, but my takeaway is the offense will continue to roll.

How does Solders' replacement grade in run/pass blocking?
Don't have PFF sub this year but per article

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/14/patriots-cannon-signed-to-an-extension/

[Marcus Cannon] has a career Pass Blocking Efficiency (PBE) of 91.1 at guard is among the worst at the position, his career PBE at tackle (96.1) is among the best .... Cannon did earn a +3.4 overall grade at tackle starting the final eight games last year in place of Sebastian Vollmer.
Sounds like he is solid on the pass, and a plus tackle overall.

If anyone has the PFF stats since end of last season I'd like to see them as well.

As far as the Solder injury goes... For comparison I'll point to 2011 when the Pats lost Matt Light (also a good LT) for a 5 week stretch.

Averages with Light:

TotYds - 368

PaYds - 251

RuYds - 116

TotYds - 486

PaYds - 355

RuYds - 131

It's a small sample and there is some apples in oranges, but my takeaway is the offense will continue to roll.
The backup(s) aren't the same, are they?

ETA-never mind, saw your subsequent post. Seems like he is a better pass-blocker than run-blocker? Makes sense, as protecting TB would be NE's main priority. Have to assume that's (at worst) a lateral change for Lewis, but definitely not a negative.

Averages with Light:

TotYds - 368

PaYds - 251

RuYds - 116

TotYds - 486

PaYds - 355

RuYds - 131

The backup(s) aren't the same, are they
The apples/oranges includes an almost completely different roster. So no, they backup left tackle from 4 years ago is not the same as the backup LT today....

I'm just posting facts, you can choose to ignore them.

Averages with Light:

TotYds - 368

PaYds - 251

RuYds - 116

TotYds - 486

PaYds - 355

RuYds - 131

The backup(s) aren't the same, are they
The apples/oranges includes an almost completely different roster. So no, they backup left tackle from 4 years ago is not the same as the backup LT today....

I'm just posting facts, you can choose to ignore them.
Yes, I can. As you can obviously ignore the edit I posted 15 minutes before your smart-### post, which you conveniently edited out of your reply. An edit, I might add, that agreed with your belief that the offense will continue to roll.

Cannon came in for Solder after the half against the Cowboys.

Solder allowed a lot of sacks and pressure in the first half, Cannon allowed 0 sacks.

Solder is an elite LT, but his play has been spotty since the beginning of last year, it was unknown for most of the year but he had apparently been playing with testicular cancer and had a testicle removed midseason.
Holy ####!

Talk about playing through it.
No doubt, he's a baller.

Solder allowed a lot of sacks and pressure in the first half, Cannon allowed 0 sacks.

Solder is an elite LT, but his play has been spotty since the beginning of last year, it was unknown for most of the year but he had apparently been playing with testicular cancer and had a testicle removed midseason.
Holy ####!

Talk about playing through it.
No doubt, he's a baller.
:lmao:

How does Solders' replacement grade in run/pass blocking?
Don't have any metrics, but the Pats signed him to an extension this offseason for 2 years 9 million as a backup.

Cannon is a flexible linemen, can play pretty much anywhere on the line. Has been pretty successful at both tackle positions.

That's cool. I have no fear of a mid-week addition to the injury report on a Belichick team before a Sunday Night game.

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes Dion Lewis' (abdomen) Thursday placement on the injury report is "not a major cause for concern."
Reiss did add "at this time." Lewis surprisingly popped up on Thursday's report after being absent on Wednesday, but like Reiss said, we've yet to come across any true reason for concern. Owners should monitor Lewis' status between now and Sunday morning, but keep him locked into lineups.

Holy ####!Talk about playing through it.
No doubt, he's a baller.
As John Kruk once said, "If you dont like the way I play the game, I'll take my ball and go home."

It is cause for concern and it does sound like an appendectomy. I have no proof just calling it like I see it
Well I'm speculating he had diarrhea then. BB has a history of putting the squirts on the injury report, not so much past few years with Vereen- he was on a high fiber diet.

Lol. Give this thread three more hours with all the chicken Littles in here and Lewis will have been shot in the gut and dead and, funny enough, his son was there and saw it and is now fighting crime while wearing a dark bat-like cape.

Users who are viewing this thread