What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

watching Lewis owners trying to spin this quote into a positive for Lewis is a little like watching Soulfly talking about Josh Gordon.

i see nothing positive here for Lewis owners. I see BB saying Lewis isn't ready to take on a significant role yet.

or maybe he's trying to motivate Lewis to play harder than anyone and take the job - I give the former a 70% chance and the latter a 30% chance.  :shrug:

everyone reads between the lines differently I guess. 
The last person you want to rely on to figure out what is going on in NE is the head coach.

I have been saying all along it is unlikely Lewis is going to step on the field and magically turn into the 2015 Lewis in both role and production. NE is doing fine without him, but they will do even better with him. Just like Gronk, he will ramp up to bigger things in the upcoming weeks. But there is no way they want White to be the primary receiving back with Lewis watching on the sideline if both guys are healthy.

The last person you want to rely on to figure out what is going on in NE is the head coach.

I have been saying all along it is unlikely Lewis is going to step on the field and magically turn into the 2015 Lewis in both role and production. NE is doing fine without him, but they will do even better with him. Just like Gronk, he will ramp up to bigger things in the upcoming weeks. But there is no way they want White to be the primary receiving back with Lewis watching on the sideline if both guys are healthy.
I agree with this. I'd say 2-4 week ramp-up and Gronk is the perfect example of how NE will do it. 

And while I'm not trying to pee on anyone's cheerios, you can't discount the possibility that Lewis isn't fully recovered, or could have lost a step - knee injuries are tricky and everyone recovers differently. 

But optimistically I'd say the Gronk comparison is the most likely scenario. As you suggested, they're not desperate to rush him back. The can afford to ease him in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
watching Lewis owners trying to spin this quote into a positive for Lewis is a little like watching Soulfly talking about Josh Gordon.

i see nothing positive here for Lewis owners. I see BB saying Lewis isn't ready to take on a significant role yet.

or maybe he's trying to motivate Lewis to play harder than anyone and take the job - I give the former a 70% chance and the latter a 30% chance.  :shrug:

everyone reads between the lines differently I guess. 

IMO, he's saying...

my boy tommy is on his revenge tour, it ends with another lombardi trophy, we will need one of our past best weapons for the end of season to lock up home field and throughout playoffs

white & lewis owner

It just says Lewis won't be handed the job simply because everyone is healthy.  I wouldn't expect anything else from a competent organization.  He has to earn it on the field and it will take a lot because White has done a good job. 
This.

Seems silly to try to spin his quote either way. To me, it's the expected case of BB simply stating the obvious while doing nothing to tip his hand.

So Dion Lewis is going to have to be better than White, who BB says has been very good? OK - pretty much what we all already knew (unless you call bull#### on White being VERY good). The adjective is irrelevant - Lewis is going to have to show on the field that he's better than White before he takes his job. But if he does, he will.

It's a gamble, and a long shot at that. I've placed my wager based on the high upside of the return vs. the relatively low cost. He won't even sniff my lineup until he has at least one relevant, meaningful performance under his belt. I highly, highly doubt that is this week against Seattle or even Weeks 11- 12 but it could come just in time for the Fantasy playoffs.  

Or never. But I don't feel like I have any better certainty now than I did before BB's statement.

Markus P Dub said:
Gotta love coach speak

Coach Bill Belichick said it "would take quite a bit" for Dion Lewis (knee, PUP) to pass James White on the depth chart.
Good thing he has "quite a bit" LMAO

Futz said:
The bolded is emphasized on purpose in his statement. He knows Dion is exceptional in this role IF he's getting the Dion of 2025.
I dunno man, 35 year old running backs that produce are rare these days. But if anyone can do it ...

ETA: Looks like I was late again, lol. :bag:  This thread is a hot topic these days...

I wouldn't start him this week, but I have a lot better options. I been holding him on my IR since drafting him in the 13th round, so I have much better options and will wait and see what happens this week, and maybe next. Optimistic about the future though and will be watching closely at his first game. :popcorn:

In another shorter bench league I picked him up weeks ago and am also set at RB positions so no sense in starting him or doing anything crazy this week. That type of move is reserved for only the most deprived and desperate among us.  :lol:

Dropped Gillislee for him as a spec lotto ticket.

Was either him or Kenneth Dixon and it was a very difficult decision (still is a little tough to hold Lewis over Dixon).  But Lewis was huge for me last year and he can do things with the ball in his hands that very few players can match.

Can you feel it?

Soon
That TD vs the Cowboys is just embarassing.

The one thing I don't like about his running style is that when it is clear he is going to get hit he really seems to try to go full Blount and run over people which is just not what he is built for.  Not suggesting he should take a knee or slide but he needs to stop trying to bulldoze people and just go down.

Can you feel it?

Soon
"Look at that wiggle"  :lmao:  

The best way I can describe it is that he's got some of the most decisive feet I've ever seen. When they make up their mind as to where they are going, they do it so much faster than the defender can react it's almost unfair.

Be healthy young man.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) New England Patriots RB Dion Lewis (knee) has yet to be cleared for Week 10 against the Seattle Seahawks, but at least one teammate isn't doing anything to stop the hype surrounding what most expect to be his season debut. "He's nasty in the open field. It doesn't make any sense," said running back LeGarrette Blount, who also added Lewis has been so electric in the open field during practice that he is an unfair matchup for opposing safeties.

Chaka said:
That TD vs the Cowboys is just embarassing.

The one thing I don't like about his running style is that when it is clear he is going to get hit he really seems to try to go full Blount and run over people which is just not what he is built for.  Not suggesting he should take a knee or slide but he needs to stop trying to bulldoze people and just go down.
You're criticism is that he runs over people (when he shouldn't)? He breaks tackles with leverage/strength and near 100% of the time uses this to fall forward. By the way, without those tackle breaking skills that Dallas TD wouldn't have happened, only the initial 2 tacklers would have been avoided. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but there isn't a lot of advice us forum posters could give Dion Lewis to improve his game, and that definitely isn't one of the things I would advise. 

The whole point of why he is so dangerous is he is a real between the tackles type of runner along with all the other things that are plainly obvious in the open field, so the defense cannot key in on what the offense is trying to do. Can't predict a run up the middle, can't predict a screen, can't predict a sweep, can't predict an off tackle run, can't predict a deep pass, can't predict a pitch and he excels in all of these things, greatly. He's not just elite in the open field. He breaks tackles and falls forward on almost every run. Not a one trick pony. If you were building the perfect RB, he would be about as close as it gets for NE's offense.

You're criticism is that he runs over people (when he shouldn't)? He breaks tackles with leverage/strength and near 100% of the time uses this to fall forward. By the way, without those tackle breaking skills that Dallas TD wouldn't have happened, only the initial 2 tacklers would have been avoided. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but there isn't a lot of advice us forum posters could give Dion Lewis to improve his game, and that definitely isn't one of the things I would advise. 

The whole point of why he is so dangerous is he is a real between the tackles type of runner along with all the other things that are plainly obvious in the open field, so the defense cannot key in on what the offense is trying to do. Can't predict a run up the middle, can't predict a screen, can't predict a sweep, can't predict an off tackle run, can't predict a deep pass, can't predict a pitch and he excels in all of these things, greatly. He's not just elite in the open field. He breaks tackles and falls forward on almost every run. Not a one trick pony. If you were building the perfect RB, he would be about as close as it gets for NE's offense.
As I said; I am not expecting him to slide and I am not discouraging him from juking, but at 5'8" 195lbs, with an injury history as long as my arm, he isn't built to be a violent runner.  

He leaves far more yards on the field by missing 16 games with injury then he would lose by not dropping a shoulder and trying to truck a 6'3" 245lb linebacker.

All these vids ... getting me excited to see him play again. Well since we are going down memory lane ... let's revisit the debate from last year when the jury was still out. I am posting these for the benefit of the people that still think this is a mess to avoid, too crowded or are on the fence to pick him up. Let's flip all the way back to page 4 and start there.

He could make an impact. He has rare, elite balance/ankle breaking skill and adequate power/speed and good hands/catch. Very compact. Deceptive power, adequate for nickel/dime sets where he will be facing mostly. Also Pats tied him up in 2014 after the injury thinking they would tie him up for 2015. Didn't play in final pre-season game. He's in the plan.

Gushinghistory/story/narrative while watching his 40+ carry game. Pretty much every play went to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muydhwHqxAg

A few highlights as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxvSzpKl48

recent film:

2TDs in pre-season,

one split out wide receiving ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9j1nAtBV8

one impressive power run inside for TD.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000514583/Lewis-runs-for-11-yard-touchdown

Nice one handed catch and run and juke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tNBbfypZ4

and a last one showing off his shiftiness is not gone after injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfR_fSoOZk

There is zero buzz on this guy, even his recent vids have only a handful of views. Definitely a last/late round pickup that has a great chance to pay off. I think he has a chance to take the vacated Vereen role to a new level if he can stay healthy.

P.S. Jonas Gray was waived to make more RB room so Lewis most likely made the team.
That was posted before the breakout, but it took many more weeks to convince the pool of his rare ability. I believe if he put in a full season he would have had more respect. 

One play can showcase all his skills. Here are a baker's dozen set of screenshots with commentary on the best Dion Lewis play so far this year, and there have been numerous others. Owners rejoice on getting a top5 PPR back with the last pick in the draft! Mr. Irrelevant proves that groupthink in FFB still leaves value to be had, even with the numerous FFB scouting sites out there, nobody saw this coming. :towelwave: well a few of us did. ;)

1. http://screencast.com/t/hUPEHhUW

2. http://screencast.com/t/jgokGS4FGle

3. http://screencast.com/t/bgsugeiR

4. http://screencast.com/t/TMJRzb6DL4

5. http://screencast.com/t/gQWySQg5vw4

6. http://screencast.com/t/88PhbAFcf

7. http://screencast.com/t/KVvr2B2Ts

8. http://screencast.com/t/WD0jvPAQBvZq

9. http://screencast.com/t/YNNP3qLh

10. http://screencast.com/t/ofqnMUszVPd

11. http://screencast.com/t/X0zr6eoGc

12. http://screencast.com/t/nwRw22JT

13. http://screencast.com/t/SpSjNOkFlJ

EDIT: Full Video of play here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000554728/Can-t-Miss-Play-Lewis-shakes-and-bakes-for-TD

STUD!

Quoting two other posts from earlier this thread to underscore why I don't feel it's out of line to suggest that Dion Lewis has been genuinely special this season:

My own thoughts on a single play specifically against the Bills, (plus a couple of other plays more generally from the first three weeks).

A fantastic beat-by-beat breakdown of Lewis' ludicrous 5-on-1 touchdown against the Cowboys by mnmplayer.

He's been doing this all season long. I get the skepticism after two or three games, but we've now got six games, five of which have been jump-off-the-screen special. You can wait until he keeps proving it a few more times, but the longer you wait, the later it is.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 10:40 PM, Adam Harstad said:
  On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 8:29 PM, Ministry of Pain said:
  On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 8:11 PM, Adam Harstad said:
He's ludicrously skilled.

Lewis is the real deal. He's a star. Elusive, but still runs with power. Fluid, runs great routes, and is strong in pass protection, too. Easily the best RB to play in the New England "system" in a decade.
I'm sorry Adam but that's a statement I have no reply for. It would insinuate that he is the best RB in the NFL or at least top5...you used the word ludicrous btw. It is at least in part the system. The OC went on to be a HC and then came back and inserted his offense all over again and part of it is this "role" that they were trying to fill with Shane Vereen. Go back and read some of those threads if you like.

The NE offense supports a WR1 like Edelman, Gronk and then another key receiver whether it is/was a TE2 like AH, then it was Vereen, now its Lewis. he is making plays but go watch that TD play he had tonight, nobody touched him, the entire middle of th efield was wide open, the area was cleared and he ran almost untouched to the goal line.

Real Deal to me are guys like ADP, Lynch, Bell, those guys are real RBs.

I think some of you are way too defensive. I never said the guy was garbage, even identify as an owner, filled out many DK and FD with him in there but to say he is special seems like a stretch to me right now. I wouldn't be jumping up and down if he landed on the Miami Dolphins next week.
I said at one point early in 2010 that if aliens showed up on earth and decided to learn what this "football" thing was, they'd think Arian Foster and Darren McFadden were two of the top five running backs in the NFL. Free of the burden of preconceived notions, evaluating them strictly on the merits of their play, they were easily in that upper tier.

If aliens showed up on earth this August and decided to learn what this "football" thing was, they would think Dion Lewis was one of the top five running backs in the NFL. (Along with Bell, Gurley, Freeman, and Ivory, I would say.) No preconceived notions about the "New England system", or knowledge that Lewis was out of football recently, or any idea about anyone's pedigree... just evaluating the quality of their play and the impact on their team.

Does this seem like lofty praise? Good. It's intended as lofty praise. Dion Lewis has looked phenomenal. I've referred back to Foster's 2010 season several times so far this year, because that's the last time I remember a back that far off the radar in June coming in and playing this out of his mind in September and October.

Reasonable people are welcome to disagree. But I just want to be super-clear that when I say that Dion Lewis looks like a star, I don't mean it in any sense that dilutes the meaning of the word "star". I mean he looks like one of the few truly elite, game-changing running backs in the NFL today.

Yes, Dion Lewis was essentially untouched on his touchdown tonight. So was Rob Gronkowski, but you won't see me calling Rob Gronkowski a product of the system. Why? Because there are a lot of *OTHER* plays where Gronkowski is not virtually untouched, and he makes something happen merely by imposing his will on the defense.

Dion Lewis is capable of imposing his will on the defense. Look at him breaking ankles on that short little out route at around 4:47 in the 1st quarter. Gets the ball with a defender right on top of him, performs the quickest and minutest of fakes of the inside spin, instead spins outside, leaves the defender grasping air and searching for his cleats, and races for 18 or 19 yards.

Look at him on his 11-yard run early in the 3rd quarter. Immediately runs into junk, performs three quick full-speed cuts to weave through traffic for a first down. Look at him leave his feet to one-hand a badly thrown pass against Dallas only to juke out five defenders without the assistance of any blockers for a touchdown.

It's not the easy plays like the untouched touchdown that make me high on Dion Lewis. It's these spectacular plays where there's absolutely nothing there and Lewis is still getting 10+ yards and making multiple defenders miss on every touch. And it's the times New England splits him out wide and has him run legit WR routes, (as opposed to the "RB spit out wide to WR routes" that, say, Denver assigns to Hillman and Anderson.) And it's the image I linked to earlier in the thread of Dion Lewis positively stonewalling a pass-rusher 1.5 times his size coming in with a full head of steam.

Dion Lewis is everything Lamar Miller's supporters have forlornly been trying to make Lamar Miller into for the last year and a half. I know that his past history counts for something, and New England's past history counts for something, and Adrian Peterson's past history counts for something, and Marshawn Lynch's past history counts for something. I'm not saying that I think Dion Lewis is one of the top 5 RBs in the entire NFL right now.

I'm saying Dion Lewis is playing like one of the top 5 RBs in the entire NFL right now. I'm saying it because I believe it.
POTY Candidate

As I said; I am not expecting him to slide and I am not discouraging him from juking, but at 5'8" 195lbs, with an injury history as long as my arm, he isn't built to be a violent runner.  

He leaves far more yards on the field by missing 16 games with injury then he would lose by not dropping a shoulder and trying to truck a 6'3" 245lb linebacker.
It would be like trying to tell a wolf not to run across the street when chasing a rabbit. First of all, its not going to listen to you, secondly it wouldn't be a wolf if it knew the street was even there. Its all going on instinct at this level, man. The moment he gets his brain in the way and starts thinking about lying down, he's not the same guy.

It would be like trying to tell a wolf not to run across the street when chasing a rabbit. First of all, its not going to listen to you, secondly it wouldn't be a wolf if it knew the street was even there. Its all going on instinct at this level, man. The moment he gets his brain in the way and starts thinking about lying down, he's not the same guy.
I'm thinking that you're trying to be a little funny so I want to assure you that I am not taking this debate too seriously.  Personally I don't think it would be any of those things and I think he easily has the intelligence to learn how to run a little smarter without compromising his ability.

If the Lewis of last year is the Lewis we are getting this year that O will be absolutely unstoppable as long as Dante has the boys up front doing their job...insane the amount of weapons Brady has to work with right now...

If the Lewis of last year is the Lewis we are getting this year that O will be absolutely unstoppable as long as Dante has the boys up front doing their job...insane the amount of weapons Brady has to work with right now...
Yes. they can beat you like 10 different ways

Lewis Activated today by Patriots

Moved him from IR to the roster but not playing him this week against Seahawks

Playing Ware and Ivory over him today as a precaution.  Not fully onboard with him playing this week.  That and it's the Seahawks.  

Lot of uncertainty here for tonight. I'd like to play him as he's better than my other options but not sure he'll be active or how much he'd play even if he is active. 

"Unclear" if he will suit up?

[/img]
From an NFL roster perspective, it would make no logistical sense to activate him yesterday and have him inactive today. Unless BB is playing head games with Seattle, which at this point would seem odd. If he wanted to make Lewis look like a big part of the game plan, he would have activated him early in the week. No mater how you slice it, I don't expect much from Lewis today. 

From an NFL roster perspective, it would make no logistical sense to activate him yesterday and have him inactive today. Unless BB is playing head games with Seattle, which at this point would seem odd. If he wanted to make Lewis look like a big part of the game plan, he would have activated him early in the week. No mater how you slice it, I don't expect much from Lewis today. 
yes it would, he was activated from the PUP list.  that is different than being on the "active" gameday roster 

I have Bernard. But unfortunately due to byes, he's my #1 running back this week. So I can't take the wait and see approach on Lewis.  Seems I will have to wait one more week. And may regret it.

Belichek had already dropped Tyler Gaffney, RB on Thursday to make room for Lewis on the 53 man roster. Impossible to know Belichek's motivations, but moving Lewis to the 53 man roster decreases the number of players they have control over for one extra week. It's a relatively small strategic factor, but it is the kind of advantage that Belichek always tries to take advantage of. I think Belichek was convinced by Thursday that Lewis would be playing this week. Anything he has hinted otherwise to the press is Bill's usual obfuscation.

Of course, it means nothing about touches we should expect... Luckily, the Pats and Hawks are facing off tonight, because, unluckily, I am forced to start one of the two as my RB2

Users who are viewing this thread