What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odd trade behavior in my league (1 Viewer)

Normally I don't care about two teams trading in a competitive league, but this one has me scratching my head. About 15 minutes prior to start time on Sunday, the following trade occurred:

Team A gives up Mark Ingram

Team B gives up Roy Williams

On its face, stupid, but fine.

But, this is a start 2 RB/3 WR league and team A only has LeSean McCoy, Michael Turner and Jason Snelling rostered at RB now (i.e., can no longer field a roster during ATL's bye). Team A had no need for any WRs, and did not start Roy Williams. Team A subsequently dropped Roy Williams during this week's waiver period.

These same teams made a trade in the preseason and subsequently traded back the same players one week later (still the preseason).

Very odd behavior indeed. Thinking of asking the commish to verify that these two owners aren't the same person or have similar/nearby addresses.

Thanks

Normally I don't care about two teams trading in a competitive league, but this one has me scratching my head. About 15 minutes prior to start time on Sunday, the following trade occurred:Team A gives up Mark IngramTeam B gives up Roy WilliamsOn its face, stupid, but fine. But, this is a start 2 RB/3 WR league and team A only has LeSean McCoy, Michael Turner and Jason Snelling rostered at RB now (i.e., can no longer field a roster during ATL's bye). Team A had no need for any WRs, and did not start Roy Williams. Team A subsequently dropped Roy Williams during this week's waiver period.These same teams made a trade in the preseason and subsequently traded back the same players one week later (still the preseason).Very odd behavior indeed. Thinking of asking the commish to verify that these two owners aren't the same person or have similar/nearby addresses.Thanks
This IS odd behavior and questions of these kinds are RIGHTFULLY directed at the commish. Its his job to decide what to do.That being said some people don't make no damn SENSE

Last edited by a moderator:
Team A subsequently dropped Roy Williams during this week's waiver period.
Assuming it was a one for one trade, I would be bothered by this. Of course without knowing more about your leage I can see two other possiblities:1) Due to number of teams in the league/roster size/ other characteristic of your league, Ingram has a lot less value than he would to me in a keeper league.2) Team A owner is out of his depth.

This trade taken in combination with a preseason trade-back would raise serious suspicions. If I was the commish, I would step in and force them to prove they weren't the same person or colluding with one another.

This doesn't seem like collusion to me. If it were, I doubt Team A would have dropped Roy Williams after only a week. No, this is clearly a case of a weak manager being fleeced by another manager. It's part of the learning curve in fantasy football and can cause serious problems in your league if it becomes a regular occurrence. Especially if the same two managers are usually involved.

Is your league annonymous owners or do you know these guys? Do you have any idea of skill level? Is this just a basic public league or a pay league?

Some questions to start with. If its a free league, who cares. I'd just move on to something else. Pay league, I'd be annoyed.

Normally I don't care about two teams trading in a competitive league, but this one has me scratching my head. About 15 minutes prior to start time on Sunday, the following trade occurred:

Team A gives up Mark Ingram

Team B gives up Roy Williams

On its face, stupid, but fine.

But, this is a start 2 RB/3 WR league and team A only has LeSean McCoy, Michael Turner and Jason Snelling rostered at RB now (i.e., can no longer field a roster during ATL's bye). Team A had no need for any WRs, and did not start Roy Williams. Team A subsequently dropped Roy Williams during this week's waiver period.

These same teams made a trade in the preseason and subsequently traded back the same players one week later (still the preseason).

Very odd behavior indeed. Thinking of asking the commish to verify that these two owners aren't the same person or have similar/nearby addresses.

Thanks
Well he could pick up a free agent RB before AtL's bye week. It's odd but not really all that bad, with Ingram off to a slow start. The offseason "trade back" would trigger a red flag if it was during the season, but in the offseason it really has no affect on anything and can be explained by both owners having seller's remorse.

I wouldn't make a big deal now, but I'd file it away in case something shady happens down the line.

I am a long standing commish of 2 leagues. This trade would be vetoes faster than you can say "collusion". It wouldn't ben be up for discussion. The only discussion after the vetoed would be "team a and b please explain the reasoning behind that trade ASAP. Your explanation with play a big part in determining your future in this league"

I don't stand for that type of crap. It's a wildly lopsided trade. Williams is a bum and is starting to lose his jib to Knox. Ingram is just starting to come on. A great rb in a prolific offense vs an aging bum of a wr with the dropsies in an inconsistent offense.

I am a long standing commish of 2 leagues. This trade would be vetoes faster than you can say "collusion". It wouldn't ben be up for discussion. The only discussion after the vetoed would be "team a and b please explain the reasoning behind that trade ASAP. Your explanation with play a big part in determining your future in this league"I don't stand for that type of crap. It's a wildly lopsided trade. Williams is a bum and is starting to lose his jib to Knox. Ingram is just starting to come on. A great rb in a prolific offense vs an aging bum of a wr with the dropsies in an inconsistent offense.
Bear in mind this trade was made before Week 3 so Ingram had done squat up until that point - I'm sure in some re-draft leagues with poor owners he was dropped to the waiver wire. I agree even with that it was a poor trade, but if a commish vetoed a trade like that with no investigation into why it was made - that would be as big of a crime as the trade itself.

I am a long standing commish of 2 leagues. This trade would be vetoes faster than you can say "collusion". It wouldn't ben be up for discussion. The only discussion after the vetoed would be "team a and b please explain the reasoning behind that trade ASAP. Your explanation with play a big part in determining your future in this league"

I don't stand for that type of crap. It's a wildly lopsided trade. Williams is a bum and is starting to lose his jib to Knox. Ingram is just starting to come on. A great rb in a prolific offense vs an aging bum of a wr with the dropsies in an inconsistent offense.
Bear in mind this trade was made before Week 3 so Ingram had done squat up until that point - I'm sure in some re-draft leagues with poor owners he was dropped to the waiver wire. I agree even with that it was a poor trade, but if a commish vetoed a trade like that with no investigation into why it was made - that would be as big of a crime as the trade itself.
As a commish, I find I don't need to have a dog if I have a "Beware of Dog" sign. In other words, I contact owners in pending trades like this and ask them to "explain" the transaction to me. You don't have to swing the big hammer, just do a bit of light "QA" so everyone knows you are keeping an eye on things.

As a commish, I find I don't need to have a dog if I have a "Beware of Dog" sign. In other words, I contact owners in pending trades like this and ask them to "explain" the transaction to me. You don't have to swing the big hammer, just do a bit of light "QA" so everyone knows you are keeping an eye on things.
:goodposting: I've done that a few times and there is always a reasonable (albeit stupid) explanation. But folks know I've got my eye on fishy things.

Users who are viewing this thread