What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton = Daunte Culpepper (1 Viewer)

'Warrior said:
'Englishteacher said:
you first
sorry was being lazy......similarities....size = hugespeed = fastrocket arms? checkprolific rookie seasons? check (although Culpepper sat for a year behind Cunningham before he started)rushing prowess; including red zone? checkdominant wr? check Steve SMith and Randy Mossthat's looking at the positives

'Warrior said:
'Englishteacher said:
you first
sorry was being lazy......similarities....size = hugespeed = fastrocket arms? checkprolific rookie seasons? check (although Culpepper sat for a year behind Cunningham before he started)rushing prowess; including red zone? checkdominant wr? check Steve SMith and Randy Mossthat's looking at the positives
As much as I like Smith >>> than Moss, they are two very different typr of WRs. Like Megatron, when Moss was in his prime all a QB had to do was lob it up in his general vicinity. I don't think you can compare anyone on the Panthers roster favorably with Carter.Just my gut feeling, but I think Cam has more of a drive to excel than Culpepper

'Warrior said:
'Englishteacher said:
you first
As much as I like Smith >>> than Moss, they are two very different typr of WRs. Like Megatron, when Moss was in his prime all a QB had to do was lob it up in his general vicinity. I don't think you can compare anyone on the Panthers roster favorably with Carter.Just my gut feeling, but I think Cam has more of a drive to excel than Culpepper
Good analysis here. Smith is pretty good at the deep jumjp ball though. He's just 5'9. He will get open deep. Can't remember how long Carter played with Moss and Pepper. Look for the Panthers to go after a big time #2 WR in the next few years. Of course, good luck finding a HOFer like Carter.I liked Cam's reaction to a loss in the NFL, "I haven't lost a game since junior college." Culpepper may not have the derive Cam has but he was a competitor. One thing he lacked though was smarts. He was rumored to be dumb as a doorknob.Still, I'm liking the comparison in terms of the two. I think Cam has a higher ceiling though. He still hasn't played a ton of high level football. He only started one year at Auburn and still hasn't had that much experience in a pro style offense. There's a lot of room to grow.

YOU MEAN THEY ARE BOTH BIG BLACK QUARTERBACKS?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fair enough comparison. The measurables are nearly identical and Culpepper busted onto the scene with some nice passing games and was a legitimate rushing threat, especially his first couple years (22 rushing TDs and 1400 yards in his first three years as a starter).

In fact their first four starts comparison is downright creepy.

| Passing | Rushing | Cmp Att Pct Yards Y/A TD Int Rate | Att Yards Y/A TDsCam | 97 163 59.5% 1386 8.5 5 5 84.5 | 33 133 4.0 4Daunte | 72 117 61.5% 991 8.5 6 5 87.9 | 40 198 4.9 3
I don't think the comparison necissarily tells us anything about where Cam's career will go though.

OK. Tell me another guy he is more similar too.
Roethlisberger?
Roethlisberger works too. I think Roethlisberger is a more mature passer but lacks the fluidity that Cam has in the pocket and on the run. I think all three are similar but I don't put Cam or Culpepper on Ben's level. I think Cam and Culpepper are more atheltes than pure passers but it's not like Ben is that pure a passer either. Good comparison.

It's a fair enough comparison. The measurables are nearly identical and Culpepper busted onto the scene with some nice passing games and was a legitimate rushing threat, especially his first couple years (22 rushing TDs and 1400 yards in his first three years as a starter).In fact their first four starts comparison is downright creepy.

Code:
       |               Passing                        |      Rushing       | Cmp   Att     Pct  Yards  Y/A  TD  Int  Rate | Att  Yards   Y/A TDsCam    |  97   163   59.5%   1386  8.5   5    5  84.5 |  33    133   4.0   4Daunte |  72   117   61.5%    991  8.5   6    5  87.9 |  40    198   4.9   3
I don't think the comparison necissarily tells us anything about where Cam's career will go though.
I like Newton's rating better as Culpepper certainly had more to work with in terms of personnel.

In terms of expected success at the NFL level, I compare him to Sam Bradford.

Heisman winning quarterback selected as a high draft pick with a winning pedigree.

I think this easily translates to success at the next level.

I don't like the comp to Culpepper. Seems off. CPepp had better weapons and less feel for the game.

Cam's field vision and accuracy as a passer far exceed CPepp's at any point in his career.

Newton is more like a rich man's Freeman or Roethlesberger.

I don't like the comp to Culpepper. Seems off. CPepp had better weapons and less feel for the game.

Cam's field vision and accuracy as a passer far exceed CPepp's at any point in his career.

Care to expand on this? This is the first I have seen anyone talk about accuracy as one of Cam's strengths. Cam is 21st in completion percentage and is at a lower rate than any of Culpepper's seasons in Minnesota. I know completion percetange is not an exact proxy for accuracy but it's the best thing we have.

It's a fair enough comparison. The measurables are nearly identical and Culpepper busted onto the scene with some nice passing games and was a legitimate rushing threat, especially his first couple years (22 rushing TDs and 1400 yards in his first three years as a starter).In fact their first four starts comparison is downright creepy.

Code:
       |               Passing                        |      Rushing       | Cmp   Att     Pct  Yards  Y/A  TD  Int  Rate | Att  Yards   Y/A TDsCam    |  97   163   59.5%   1386  8.5   5    5  84.5 |  33    133   4.0   4Daunte |  72   117   61.5%    991  8.5   6    5  87.9 |  40    198   4.9   3
:rolleyes: when I first saw the thead title but I agree it's a "fair enough" comparison.Also agree that it doesnt really tell us anything as far as projecting the future. And let's also not forget that C-Pepp was fantasy stud for a number of seasons. I know he was the key to 2 of my championships. As for real football I would like to have seen how his career would have turned out were it not for injury and circumstance. On a sidenote I really think Randall Cunningham would have been one of the all time greats under different circumstances.But anyways Cam strikes me as different than anybody we've seen. I like the mention of a deluxe Roethlisberger-Freeman in terms of style. He seems to have that "it" factor to go along with the obvious physical attributes. It will be very interesting to see how his career plays out but gotta love the start right out of the gate.

Care to expand on this? This is the first I have seen anyone talk about accuracy as one of Cam's strengths. Cam is 21st in completion percentage and is at a lower rate than any of Culpepper's seasons in Minnesota. I know completion percetange is not an exact proxy for accuracy but it's the best thing we have.
Watch Cam play. He has much better command of the football than most QBs. Way better than CPepp ever did. His int's this year have been more the result of bad decisions throwing the ball into coverage. When he is inaccurate, it's more due to poor footwork, where he is still very raw. But even with that poor footwork, Cam's intermediate to long passing is a wonder to behold. Also, Legadu freaking Naanee has to be the worst WR in the NFL. Dude has missed A LOT of plays for Cam this year. Plays were Cam absolutely put it on him and the ball hit the ground. Important plays. Game changers. Even game winners. Smiff is the man and is making plays. Olsen and Shockey have been good targets. Lefell serviceable. But Legadu... PUKE!

With Moss, All I ever remember Culpepper doing was throwing up jump balls and letting Moss go up and get them. You really can't use stats when comparing them not to mention that Culpepper has the added statistical advantage of playing more than half his games indoors.

Watch Cam play. He has much better command of the football than most QBs. Way better than CPepp ever did. His int's this year have been more the result of bad decisions throwing the ball into coverage. When he is inaccurate, it's more due to poor footwork, where he is still very raw. But even with that poor footwork, Cam's intermediate to long passing is a wonder to behold. Also, Legadu freaking Naanee has to be the worst WR in the NFL. Dude has missed A LOT of plays for Cam this year. Plays were Cam absolutely put it on him and the ball hit the ground. Important plays. Game changers. Even game winners. Smiff is the man and is making plays. Olsen and Shockey have been good targets. Lefell serviceable. But Legadu... PUKE!
Fair enough. As far as watching Cam play, I was at the Packers game but it's the only one I've seen. It's always different from the stands but I remember several "might have been" moments with missed throws by Cam. Overall very impressed though, obviously. And Legadu is a failed QB-to-WR project, hard to believe he is still in the NFL really. He must manage to do some nifty stuff in camp every year or something.

Heh, just stumbled across this. Seemed appropriate to post here. Warren Moon on Newton:

"I was around Cam almost every day for a good two or three weeks leading up to the draft," Moon remembered. "I watched his footwork, his arm, his throwing technique. It was really a matter of fine tuning. You could see he was going to be good. You just had to spend time around him and the Panthers did. The Panthers did their homework.

"The biggest thing was his attitude. He has this calming influence and it spreads throughout a huddle and a team. I've been around too many quarterbacks who had this not to recognize it. I've been around quarterbacks who had all the talent in the world but didn't have that confidence. Cam has that confidence. He can lead without being a bully."

Cam reminds me of a young ryan leaf only he is a bit more talented. he also smells of poo cause he attended auburn university.

although not his choice as he went to the highest bidder.

discuss :popcorn:

New Orleans Reporter: "Have you surprised yourself with the transition (from college to NFL)?"

Cam Newton: "If you write a good article, do your surprise yourself?"

:lmao:

He's a far better runner than Culpepper was.

As I've said before (and it's not a unique view), I think of him as a bigger, stronger, not-as-fast Mike Vick.

Maybe a faster, more mobile Roethlisberger...that might work too.

He's a far better runner than Culpepper was.As I've said before (and it's not a unique view), I think of him as a bigger, stronger, not-as-fast Mike Vick.Maybe a faster, more mobile Roethlisberger...that might work too.
What part of Newtons game reminds you of Vick? The last QB I think of when I see Newton play is Vick, he can move out of the pocket but hes no threat to go running down the field for 30-40 yards.

awesome quote from Cam. good for him.

I wonder if Cam can shoot fireballs from his arrsee...or perhaps defeat the krakken? I heart him.

He's a far better runner than Culpepper was.As I've said before (and it's not a unique view), I think of him as a bigger, stronger, not-as-fast Mike Vick.Maybe a faster, more mobile Roethlisberger...that might work too.
What part of Newtons game reminds you of Vick? The last QB I think of when I see Newton play is Vick, he can move out of the pocket but hes no threat to go running down the field for 30-40 yards.
Yeah, what they bring to the run game is completely different. Vick is Houdini. Cam is Godzilla.

I agree that he's more of a pocket-passer than Vick.However, I actually do think he is a running threat, and would not be surprised to see him rip a 30 yard run on occasion. He combines the running threat (although obviously not as fast or quick as Vick) with a cannon arm (which Vick also has).Like Vick, he's also a consistent threat to run it in near the goal-line.Basically, Vick and Newton are the most likely threats to put up 350/2 TDs passing and 60/2 TDs rushing on a given Sunday.

Nice to see that consensus is that Super Cam >>>>>>> Culpepper. OP, you're fishing trip is done.

Users who are viewing this thread