What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton to Pats (1 Viewer)

Saw some local discussion on the move, and there was some debate that if they wanted Cam to start they would have signed him in March or April and not waste 3 months when he could have been learning the system. So the thought process was that Cam will slot in as the backup and will have to beat out Stidham. Clearly anything could happen, but some folks still think the plan for now is still Stidham. 
 BB has often had this air of doubt around many stars when the Pats sign them. I figure it helps with getting them to mesh with the team, put work in, and has a positive effect. 

Doesn't it always or almost always wind up being the star starts and/or is a key cog?

I don't see the playbook being an issue...if you are going to start Cam Newton you are not going to run the same system as Tom Brady and I think it was changing with Stidham anyways...the big question is...what Cam Newton are they getting, one in the ballpark of MVP Cam or one that may have hit the wall/regressed after years of wear and tear...this will be an open competition but if Newton is close to MVP Cam he will obviously get the nod but if not and Stidham shows he can play BB will not hesitate to start him...the Pats are now in a far better spot at this position, they have two scenarios (actually three if they feel Stidham is the heir but just not ready yet) and if either one works out they could really surprise some people this year and take an even bigger leap next year when the cap space opens up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the playbook being an issue...if you are going to start Cam Newton you are not going to run the same system as Tom Brady and I think it was changing with Stidham anyways...the big question is...what Cam Newton are they getting, one in the ballpark of MVP Cam or one that may have hit the wall/regressed after years of wear and tear...this will be an open competition but if Newton is close to MVP Cam he will obviously get the nod but if not and Stidham shows he can play BB will not hesitate to start him...the Pats are now in a far better spot at this position, they have two scenarios (actually three if they feel Stidham is the heir but just not ready yet) and if either one works out they could really surprise some people this year and take an even bigger leap next year when the cap space opens up.
My fear is they play Cam and not Stidham and won’t win the SB with either. They won’t pay Cam market value and he walks and they still have no idea about Stidham. So a year from now they still don’t have a QB with experience. 

As for the cap space for next year, they are going to have to negotiate a work around or else the cap could drop by $70-80 million with limited revenue this year. 

My fear is they play Cam and not Stidham and won’t win the SB with either. They won’t pay Cam market value and he walks and they still have no idea about Stidham. So a year from now they still don’t have a QB with experience. 

As for the cap space for next year, they are going to have to negotiate a work around or else the cap could drop by $70-80 million with limited revenue this year. 
Welcome to reality Pats fans.  Its hard to win in the NFL and you don't generally get to coast to the AFC Championship every year.  You have to take chances to win as many games as possible and scratch and claw your way to a successful season and you're always searching for a QB.  

They are probably not gonna win the Super Bowl regardless of how well either of them play although if MVP Cam is what they are getting that could change things...I have confidence that by the end of the year it will be definitely known one of them is the QB of the future or they need to look elsewhere...if looking elsewhere is the option it could be a rocky near future.

Welcome to reality Pats fans.  Its hard to win in the NFL and you don't generally get to coast to the AFC Championship every year.  You have to take chances to win as many games as possible and scratch and claw your way to a successful season and you're always searching for a QB.  
My point was they aren’t winning this year anyway . . . it would make more sense to play Stidham at some point to see if he can play. If the league doesn’t destroy the team salary cap number for next year, the Pats are projected to have around $100M in cap space available. This year was essentially best served to set things up for 2021. They could easily be back in the mix next year. Given that Cam is playing for the league minimum this year, I doubt he will take a lowball offer next year and NE won’t offer him near what he will want. A scenario where BB doesn’t really have a long term plan at QB two years in a row seems very hard to comprehend. 

If Bill thinks Cam gets them into SB contention, then signing would make more sense. It’s not a big risk as Newton is playing for peanuts. But it leaves Stidham in limbo. And if they didn’t love Stidham, they should have done more to find a long term solution at QB.

I think it's a desperate attempt to remain relevant.  The Pats have won for so long the very idea of rebuilding probably makes their stomach turn.  In reality they should start thinking how they could get one of Lawrence or Fields. 

I think it's a desperate attempt to remain relevant.  The Pats have won for so long the very idea of rebuilding probably makes their stomach turn.  In reality they should start thinking how they could get one of Lawrence or Fields. 
Never gonna happen. BB would never not go all out to win. Their defense alone will keep them far away from getting near a high enough draft pick for one of those guys. 

My point was they aren’t winning this year anyway . . . it would make more sense to play Stidham at some point to see if he can play. If the league doesn’t destroy the team salary cap number for next year, the Pats are projected to have around $100M in cap space available. This year was essentially best served to set things up for 2021. They could easily be back in the mix next year. Given that Cam is playing for the league minimum this year, I doubt he will take a lowball offer next year and NE won’t offer him near what he will want. A scenario where BB doesn’t really have a long term plan at QB two years in a row seems very hard to comprehend. 

If Bill thinks Cam gets them into SB contention, then signing would make more sense. It’s not a big risk as Newton is playing for peanuts. But it leaves Stidham in limbo. And if they didn’t love Stidham, they should have done more to find a long term solution at QB.
Thats exactly the line of thinking you're going to have to get accustomed to not latching on too.  Almost every fanbase can say that every year.  

BB isn't the kind of guy to throw away a season to develop a player or get a better draft pick.  Hes going to try to win as many games as possible and a healthy Cam Newton gives him the best chance.  You have an excellent defense and probably the greatest coach ever.  I guarantee you Belichick thinks he can coach this team up to playing at a high level by the end of the season.  The thought of sacrificing ANYTHING related to this year to help solve his QB conundrum in 2021 hasnt even crossed his mind.

They might think not throwing Stidham to the fire right away is the best way to develop him...there is no doubt they like him as they were ready to go with him but when you get a chance to get a former MVP for the league minimum you jump on it...this now gives them two chances to figure out their QB situation...I see zero downside to what they did regardless of how it plays out.

I don't think Belichick will ever concede a season. I'm sure he fully intends to win the division again and contend for a high playoff seed, then let the chips fall. I certainly don't expect him to allow concern about his 2021 QB to have impact on who starts in week 1 of 2020. Sure, if they reach a point where they are clearly out of the playoffs, that could change things. But until then, best players play.

ETA: I see @Vandelay beat me to it.

I don't think Belichick will ever concede a season. I'm sure he fully intends to win the division again and contend for a high playoff seed, then let the chips fall. I certainly don't expect him to allow concern about his 2021 QB to have impact on who starts in week 1 of 2020. Sure, if they reach a point where they are clearly out of the playoffs, that could change things. But until then, best players play.

ETA: I see @Vandelay beat me to it.
I agree with you, but it may not be the smart move long term.

With their defense and 4 games with the Jets and Phins there's no way they can draft those QBs.

With their defense and 4 games with the Jets and Phins there's no way they can draft those QBs.
And it would be beyond foolish to count on it as your plan for the future...there are definite scenarios where the Pats take a sizable step backwards this year but with BB coaching I just don't see them in the mix to get a Trevor Lawrence type of QB with their own pick or BB selling the farm to get that high of a pick...their roster (or draft assets) is not in a situation where they can make that type of deal and historically not how BB wants to build his roster...he is gonna try and do this on the fly and if either Newton or Stidham hits he may be able to do it.

Yeah that’s not at all realistic 

There is zero reason they can't win their division. What if Mahomes or Jackson get hurt, or get Covid? NE still has a very good defense, the league's best HC, and possibly the best QB in the division. Are people really thinking Buffalo is some lock? The were a mediocre team, that didn't beat a single playoff team, other than the Titans pre-Tannehill. 

If any team should have been thinking about Lawrence/Fields, it should have been Carolina. Instead of signing Teddy, they should have just rolled with Will Grier and the XFL guy. 

The hype over Cam is getting out of control. Been listening to talk radio and the group think was that Newton getting 30 TD passing and 8 TD rushing is basically a given. And NE as an overall team is pretty much on par as the Panthers 15-1 team, just with a better HC and OC. They are building things up that they are a shade below the Chiefs and Ravens but NE is right back in the hunt. I don’t see things being anywhere near that promising, but I guess when there isn’t any actual ongoing  sports to talk about it gives them something to discuss. 

The hype over Cam is getting out of control. Been listening to talk radio and the group think was that Newton getting 30 TD passing and 8 TD rushing is basically a given. And NE as an overall team is pretty much on par as the Panthers 15-1 team, just with a better HC and OC. They are building things up that they are a shade below the Chiefs and Ravens but NE is right back in the hunt. I don’t see things being anywhere near that promising, but I guess when there isn’t any actual ongoing  sports to talk about it gives them something to discuss. 
i'm really glad the sports blackout has weened me off all the Boston talking heads. havent listened to a sports broadcast of any kind in weeks

Bedard probably has the best take on it in Bostonsportsjournal.com but it's a pay-site so can't post here.

Giardi said the Pats showed interest in March. But at that time price was too high. Heard rumor too Cam turned down better money as back up to be starter in NE. Maybe the Pats were doing things and this was their plan. If it didn’t work out go with Stidham.

On every podcast and every interview i have heard they talk about Mcdaniels and Bills desire to have a mobile qb that can make runs and have that in the offensive arsenal.  I just dont see that anymore with cam.  His body is ruined because of that style and I just dont think he will accept an offense like the ones he had in Carolina.   Sure he might scramble some but in no way should he get the sheer amount of designed runs like in the past.

That said I hope it works out for him.  Hate it couldnt work out in charlotte but there were just so many factors going against him to come back

Giardi said the Pats showed interest in March. But at that time price was too high. Heard rumor too Cam turned down better money as back up to be starter in NE. Maybe the Pats were doing things and this was their plan. If it didn’t work out go with Stidham.
It's really hard to tell what interest level they had and when. I have heard BB say that for a majority of players that become free agents, they will check in with a player's agent to start a dialogue even if they don't have a ton of interest. Basically doing their due diligence, getting a sense of the market, trying to set up a pecking order of who might be available in a pinch, etc. 

As far as Cam goes, if the reports are accurate, NE was negotiating against themselves and only one team (CLE?) talked to him. He is said to have signed for the veteran minimum (plus incentives). So any offer from any team would have been almost impossible to have been less than what NE offered him.

From what I have observed, plenty of people have suggested that the job is not Cam's to lose and there will be a training camp battle and BB will pick someone at the end of camp. Apparently Cam was not promised anything . . . and he has to earn everything (from a roster spot to the starting job to a new contract next year). I have also heard several people still suggesting that they really like Stidham and he is a lot farther ahead in a one-on-one battle to start.

Bottom line, the situation is muddled for now and will take a few months to gain any clarity.

If Cam is healthy there's nothing wrong with this belief.  The Ravens and Chiefs are clearly the favorites in the AFC right now, but chances are at least one of their seasons doesn't even go according to plan.  If I'm placing a bet on a team other than those two, its going to be New England.  Great defense, great coaching, and what I expect to be a really annoying offense to deal with that dovetails beautifully with said defense and said coaching.

I think the Pats at the end of December 2020 will be a better and more dangerous team than last years version that limped to the playoffs and looked pretty weak in January.

If Cam is healthy there's nothing wrong with this belief.  The Ravens and Chiefs are clearly the favorites in the AFC right now, but chances are at least one of their seasons doesn't even go according to plan.  If I'm placing a bet on a team other than those two, its going to be New England.  Great defense, great coaching, and what I expect to be a really annoying offense to deal with that dovetails beautifully with said defense and said coaching.

I think the Pats at the end of December 2020 will be a better and more dangerous team than last years version that limped to the playoffs and looked pretty weak in January.
I agree as long as Cam stays healthy. If not they look just like that five hundred end to the season. 

It's really hard to tell what interest level they had and when. I have heard BB say that for a majority of players that become free agents, they will check in with a player's agent to start a dialogue even if they don't have a ton of interest. Basically doing their due diligence, getting a sense of the market, trying to set up a pecking order of who might be available in a pinch, etc. 

As far as Cam goes, if the reports are accurate, NE was negotiating against themselves and only one team (CLE?) talked to him. He is said to have signed for the veteran minimum (plus incentives). So any offer from any team would have been almost impossible to have been less than what NE offered him.

From what I have observed, plenty of people have suggested that the job is not Cam's to lose and there will be a training camp battle and BB will pick someone at the end of camp. Apparently Cam was not promised anything . . . and he has to earn everything (from a roster spot to the starting job to a new contract next year). I have also heard several people still suggesting that they really like Stidham and he is a lot farther ahead in a one-on-one battle to start.

Bottom line, the situation is muddled for now and will take a few months to gain any clarity.
So if you had to place a bet and pick the winner, who wins the battle?

The Patriots offense last year was a banged up bunch. That killed any chance of them winning by the end of the season. I will be in the minority, but I think Brady was no longer mentally into playing for the Patriots and he didn't really care as much as he did in prior seasons. He knew he was most likely leaving (if not 100% knew), and he was not a happy camper and his play suffered.

As far as your last comment, if the Patriots don't have the number of injuries they had last year heading into December 2020 (assuming the league is still playing), they would be a more dangerous team with either Stidham or Newton than the team that limped to the finish line last year. I have argued several times that over the last 8 or 10 years, NE when healthy was a SB caliber team and the years they lost they had a ton of injuries. Who knows if just being healthy would make NE a contender this year (I have my doubts, but it is at least worth some brief consideration).

NE has issues no matter who the QB is. Some guys are getting up there in years. Other guys are young and inexperienced. There are questions on both lines (and depth issues). There were some big pieces that left from the defense. Their LBs are mostly unproven. They still have limited weapons (if any) on offense. They couldn't run the football last year (so who knows if that will change this year). Their TE situation was the worst in the league last season. There's probably more to items list, but those are the main ones. In the past, BB has been able to navigate though those issues in the past, but that doesn't mean that he can replace guys and fix multiple issues all at once or all in the same year.

So if you had to place a bet and pick the winner, who wins the battle?
Too hard to answer right now. The talking heads keep bringing up that NE is getting a former MVP that accounted for 45 TD on a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. While that is true, they are also getting a guy that couldn't finish the last two seasons, went 0-8 over that stretch, and has taken a pounding over the years.

So until we have any idea what shape Cam is in health wise, if the pounding he has taken hasn't sapped some of his game, and if he can pick up the complex NE offense (even if they modify it some), we have no idea what Cam Newton the Patriots are getting. Literally anything from Cam not making the Week 1 roster to him starting every game all season is on the table. I doubt either on of those is the actual outcome. 

If I had to guess, at this point Stidham seems like he is in a better position to play Week 1 (not based on being a better player but based on having a better grasp of the offense). That doesn't mean as the season goes on that Cam doesn't take the job, but if I had to fathom a guess (not knowing anything more about Cam), I would put forth that Stidham would be a better option to start against MIA. The other potential question is do they proceed with the same offense they ran with Brady (probably not) . . . and do they try to implement a new scheme this year that fits BOTH Newton and Stidham (I am not sure there is an offensive model that fits both of them).

Again, everything is subject to change with more information to add into the mix . . .

Too hard to answer right now. The talking heads keep bringing up that NE is getting a former MVP that accounted for 45 TD on a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. While that is true, they are also getting a guy that couldn't finish the last two seasons, went 0-8 over that stretch, and has taken a pounding over the years.

So until we have any idea what shape Cam is in health wise, if the pounding he has taken hasn't sapped some of his game, and if he can pick up the complex NE offense (even if they modify it some), we have no idea what Cam Newton the Patriots are getting. Literally anything from Cam not making the Week 1 roster to him starting every game all season is on the table. I doubt either on of those is the actual outcome. 

If I had to guess, at this point Stidham seems like he is in a better position to play Week 1 (not based on being a better player but based on having a better grasp of the offense). That doesn't mean as the season goes on that Cam doesn't take the job, but if I had to fathom a guess (not knowing anything more about Cam), I would put forth that Stidham would be a better option to start against MIA. The other potential question is do they proceed with the same offense they ran with Brady (probably not) . . . and do they try to implement a new scheme this year that fits BOTH Newton and Stidham (I am not sure there is an offensive model that fits both of them).

Again, everything is subject to change with more information to add into the mix . . .
Did you actually answer my question? 

If you had to bet on one guy that wins the battle based only on whaat you know now and what you think would happen who would it be?

Agree for sure on Brady knowing he was leaving. Wasn't surprised when he told Stern he knew before the start of the season. https://youtu.be/UEV1JQSOVXs
Probably a different topic worthy of it's own thread is trying to figure when BB was in favor of moving on from Brady. If the rumors that have been circulating are true, Bill wanted to keep Jimmy G. and Brady would have been the one shipped of to SF (but Kraft nixed it). That would have been prior to the start of the 2017 season, meaning that Bill was ready to move on 3 full seasons ago.

For the system, do you see anything other than them modifying the system A LOT. Regardless of who the QB is? 

I know it's cool to make fun of Belichick for being rigid. But to me, he and McDaniels are great coaches. And great coaches have the hallmark of designing a system to get the most out of the resources available. I'd be shocked if they didn't change the offense a ton. The NFL is getting more like Cam Newton than Tom Brady. The QBs coming down the draft funnel in the future will likely be more mobile. I personally don't see any way they don't change the offense a lot. They did on the fly for Brissett even. Do you agree?

Probably a different topic worthy of it's own thread is trying to figure when BB was in favor of moving on from Brady. If the rumors that have been circulating are true, Bill wanted to keep Jimmy G. and Brady would have been the one shipped of to SF (but Kraft nixed it). That would have been prior to the start of the 2017 season, meaning that Bill was ready to move on 3 full seasons ago.
That's what I hear too. And it's usually said in terms of ripping Stidham.

Belichick was ready to move off Brady 3 years ago for Garoppolo. 

Yet with Stidham there as option, Belichick wanted a 3 year older Brady back. 

Did you actually answer my question? 

If you had to bet on one guy that wins the battle based only on whaat you know now and what you think would happen who would it be?
What does "winning the battle" actually mean? I said that based on what limited info we have available now that Stidham would be my guess to start Week 1. From there, everything would be outcome dependent. If NE started the year 6-2 with Stidham, I would expect that NE would stick with him at QB. If they started 0-4, they would quickly make a move to Newton. But the same thing could happen the other direction. They could start out playing Newton, and if he looked mediocre and they didn't win, then they would try Stidham.

IMO, I don't think Cam is 100% healthy, I don't think he fits in well with the offensive talent they have currently, and I am not sure how much of the playbook he can absorb in two months. That's why if NE truly had an interest to have Cam start and be fully up to speed, they needed to sign him 3 months ago. But I also am not getting the warm and fuzzies that there will be much football anyway and that all of this might not make much difference if there are no games played.

The Patriots offense last year was a banged up bunch. That killed any chance of them winning by the end of the season. I will be in the minority, but I think Brady was no longer mentally into playing for the Patriots and he didn't really care as much as he did in prior seasons. He knew he was most likely leaving (if not 100% knew), and he was not a happy camper and his play suffered.

As far as your last comment, if the Patriots don't have the number of injuries they had last year heading into December 2020 (assuming the league is still playing), they would be a more dangerous team with either Stidham or Newton than the team that limped to the finish line last year. I have argued several times that over the last 8 or 10 years, NE when healthy was a SB caliber team and the years they lost they had a ton of injuries. Who knows if just being healthy would make NE a contender this year (I have my doubts, but it is at least worth some brief consideration).

NE has issues no matter who the QB is. Some guys are getting up there in years. Other guys are young and inexperienced. There are questions on both lines (and depth issues). There were some big pieces that left from the defense. Their LBs are mostly unproven. They still have limited weapons (if any) on offense. They couldn't run the football last year (so who knows if that will change this year). Their TE situation was the worst in the league last season. There's probably more to items list, but those are the main ones. In the past, BB has been able to navigate though those issues in the past, but that doesn't mean that he can replace guys and fix multiple issues all at once or all in the same year.
Definitely disagree with your first point.  The offense likely would look very similar to what they ran last year and there's a big fat zero percent chance I'll take Stidham over Brady to run it.  With Newton however, it's going to look night and day.  Newton affects the running game and they way defenses scheme in way that few QBs in the league do.  

Here's Warren Sharp with some good points about Newton's affect on both (make sure to open the thread after clicking): 

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1278002861394341888

And not that I've seen it argued around here, but just for fun, here's a clip of Boston sports radio getting all high and mighty about Cam's celebrations, with video contradiction overlayed by Sharp.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1278339205895278592

The only question is health.  

That's what I hear too. And it's usually said in terms of ripping Stidham.

Belichick was ready to move off Brady 3 years ago for Garoppolo. 

Yet with Stidham there as option, Belichick wanted a 3 year older Brady back. 
I am guessing you mean a 43 year old Brady back. I don't believe BB actually wanted Brady back . . . because if he did, Brady would be back. NE did not waver on their position of not giving Brady a multi-year extension or any guaranteed money. From what I heard, prior to the 2019 season all parties talked things out and Bill said he would only take Brady back for one season at a time for way less than he was set to make in 2019 and that was it. There was no more negotiating, there were no more offers, and there was one phone call this off season when BB and Brady asked each other if either side had moved from their position and that was that. Another topic for a different discussion is whether Bill will be proven right not to give a 43 and 44 year old QB a guaranteed $50 million . . . and as we have discussed in various threads the best way to win a SB these days is on a QB's rookie contract and not by paying someone top of the market value.

Another thing - I always always always catch myself on the "fun players" to watch. 

I believe the fun guys are often over valued. I think we often saw it with Lynch going sooner than he likely should. Just as he was fun. 

We could see the same thing with Newton. Nothing wrong with that. Fantasy football is supposed to be fun. 

I think with Newton though, you might the case he's more interesting than talented right now. And that's not really a knock on his talent. He's just super interesting. We'll see. 

Definitely disagree with your first point.  The offense likely would look very similar to what they ran last year and there's a big fat zero percent chance I'll take Stidham over Brady to run it.  With Newton however, it's going to look night and day.  Newton affects the running game and they way defenses scheme in way that few QBs in the league do.  

Here's Warren Sharp with some good points about Newton's affect on both (make sure to open the thread after clicking): 

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1278002861394341888

And not that I've seen it argued around here, but just for fun, here's a clip of Boston sports radio getting all high and mighty about Cam's celebrations, with video contradiction overlayed by Sharp.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1278339205895278592

The only question is health.  
I am taking the position that Cam is not 100%, that his body is worn down, and that NE doesn't want him running all over the place. So sure, if 2015 Cam Newton shows up I agree that getting a QB that can account for 45 touchdowns makes them a much better team. I just don't think they are getting that (and that that one season will be his career outlier). I also think that my opinion is not alone, as every other team pretty much stayed clear from Cam (yes, I am aware that people will say COVID kept him from getting a physical).

I am guessing you mean a 43 year old Brady back. I don't believe BB actually wanted Brady back . . . because if he did, Brady would be back. NE did not waver on their position of not giving Brady a multi-year extension or any guaranteed money. From what I heard, prior to the 2019 season all parties talked things out and Bill said he would only take Brady back for one season at a time for way less than he was set to make in 2019 and that was it. There was no more negotiating, there were no more offers, and there was one phone call this off season when BB and Brady asked each other if either side had moved from their position and that was that. Another topic for a different discussion is whether Bill will be proven right not to give a 43 and 44 year old QB a guaranteed $50 million . . . and as we have discussed in various threads the best way to win a SB these days is on a QB's rookie contract and not by paying someone top of the market value.
Yes. A Brady 3 years older than he was when he was ready to move him. 

And "wanted him back" is not black and white. It's more wanted him back at the terms he's offering. 

And for sure, I think everyone gets the win with the great cheap young QB. There's a finite number of those around though. Should be interesting what they do next year on that front. 

It means for most people who enters the season as the starting QB. 
That's one way to look at it, but NE could have Stidham play until they feel that Cam knows enough of the playbook to play him instead. It would not shock me if they went with Stidham against MIA, SEA, LV . . . and then sent out Newton against the Chiefs with NOTHING ON TAPE for the Chiefs to scheme for.

That's one way to look at it, but NE could have Stidham play until they feel that Cam knows enough of the playbook to play him instead. It would not shock me if they went with Stidham against MIA, SEA, LV . . . and then sent out Newton against the Chiefs with NOTHING ON TAPE for the Chiefs to scheme for.
Sure. That's helpful too.

If that's what they're thinking as they open the season, that would be awesome information to know. 

I am taking the position that Cam is not 100%, that his body is worn down, and that NE doesn't want him running all over the place. So sure, if 2015 Cam Newton shows up I agree that getting a QB that can account for 45 touchdowns makes them a much better team. I just don't think they are getting that (and that that one season will be his career outlier). I also think that my opinion is not alone, as every other team pretty much stayed clear from Cam (yes, I am aware that people will say COVID kept him from getting a physical).
If he was 2015 Cam you guys would be on the same tier as Balt and KC.  All you need is 2018 Cam to be in the mix as I'm describing.

Whether he runs a lot or not, he still affects the defensive personnel and puts a strain on them in the way only a couple QBs do.  When you add the quality of coaching in NE to that ability, the only limit is their imagination when it comes to pre snap motion, play action, personnel packages...you name it.

That would be awesome. ;) In the meantime, as someone who pays close attention to the team, any educated guesses you had would be great. 
I always post what I see / hear / read, and unfortunately the current situation does not have a majority opinion. I have heard everything from Cam might not make the final roster, that Cam was brought in mostly as a backup, that Cam will start this year but Stidham will start next year, that Stidham will start the year until Cam is ready, and that expect both guys to start games this year. Literally every possible combination under the sun. Heck, I head someone today say that if Hoyer lights up training camp that Bill would pick him to start Week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread