What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (3 Viewers)

Remember the "Clifford For Heisman" talk back during limited duty McSorley's last year?  Back when he went 5-7 for 195 &  2 TDs?

Back when we WERE Penn State?

I still love my Lions, but this year sure is hard to watch.   :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe PennState is 0-4.  2018 - Recruiting Class was ranked #6 Nationally.  Including 5 Stars, Parsons, Shorter and Slade.  All gone from this team.  Very disappointing.

Perspective

Want some perspective on Penn State’s 30-23 loss to Nebraska in Lincoln Saturday, a defeat that dropped the Nittany Lions to 0-4 on the 2020 season? For everything you’ve heard about the challenges facing the program during this crazy year, well, those are looking like nothing more than excuses at this point.

Consider, if you will, that when Penn State was hit with NCAA sanctions in 2012 — punishments some considered worse than the dreaded “Death Penalty” — it survived that stretch without suffering a single losing season. That was with significantly reduced scholarships, players being allowed to transfer without penalty, and no possibility of bowl games for what turned out to be two years.

So yes, James Franklin’s program has been impacted by some difficult circumstances this season — what turned out to be an ill-timed makeover of his staff, one significant late opt-out and the unfortunate loss of his top two running backs. And he’s playing a Big Ten-only slate.

But we’re now at the juncture where if the Nittany Lions lose one more game — and it sure is looking like that’s going to happen — it will ensure the program’s first sub-.500 campaign since going 4-7 in 2004. This from a team that was ranked No. 8 when its 2020 season began Oct. 24.
He's not wrong.

Man - what is going on with PSU?
On a simple level, I think the loss to Indiana took the air out of the tires.  Until yesterday, the team had not had a lead for 12+ quarters after that pylon play.

Uncharacteristically high number of turnovers this year, which seems to lead to the wheels falling off each game.  Overall poor and inconsistent  (and below-average P5) QB play

Poor defensive schemes and execution, especially with the LBs and secondary.  Even in other poor years, usually PSU defense has been able to keep them in games.  Not this year.

Hearing rumblings of discontent in the locker room.  Will be interesting to watch the transfer portal this offseason.

Forgot the game was even on. Turned it on and watch Clifford throw a pick 6 where he couldn't be bothered to even try to tackled a DT rumbling down the field. Turned it back off. 

If they go 0 for, is there serious consideration in firing Franklin? This is embarrassing. 

Forgot the game was even on. Turned it on and watch Clifford throw a pick 6 where he couldn't be bothered to even try to tackled a DT rumbling down the field. Turned it back off. 

If they go 0 for, is there serious consideration in firing Franklin? This is embarrassing. 
Recruiting is going to be difficult no matter who is coach now.  

What do you think of the Yurcich hire?

I feel really bad for Ciarrocca... and even though PSU's offense didn't click at the beginning, I really liked what he was doing with the offense.  I also loved that he was a central PA guy growing up in Lewisberry, practically in my backyard.

In a way I feel like this doesn't have much to do with Ciarrocca.  Yurcich was a big name.  I think he was Franklin's first pick for the job when it was eventually given to Ciarrocca.  He bacame available and Franklin pounced when he had the opportunity.

I also think he be gone soon, but I am actually somewhat impressed that Franklin is taking this shot.

Agree. Like that he is taking his shot. Feel bad for Kirk, although I was annoyed by the play calling at times last year. 

I've heard, and believe is true since it's somewhat common, that Yurich was the first choice but that Ohio State did not allow him to interview with other B1G schools so he want to Texas and we got Ciarrocca. 

We'll see how it goes. 

Nice recruiting run they are on.  Landing Singleton today gets them to #3 in the 247 2021 team rankings.  Not bad after a down season last year.

60 days until the season opener in Madison…
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised they've had a good recruiting year.

It's rare we start of a PSU season with such a big matchup. Usually they ease you in with and FCS scrub to warm up against. Wisconsin is going to define how this season goes right out of the gate. 

Clifford isn't going to take us anywhere. Had Dotson 7 yards behind everyone and he overthrew him by 15 yards. Then gets sacked next play from his face side without seeing the guy coming. 

Made a lot of mistakes but the defense looks ferocious. Offense has all the pieces to b good. Hopefully Clifford gets more efficient. Impressive win today.
It’s a tough game to work out the kinks. I’m going to call it an escape. 
It’s now been 3,570 days since lost to the Badgers…which is longer than our streak against sPitt. 

Clifford isn't going to take us anywhere. Had Dotson 7 yards behind everyone and he overthrew him by 15 yards. Then gets sacked next play from his face side without seeing the guy coming. 
Clifford will not get you guys to a big game. He’s just not good. He hit two completely wide open guys and made one more guy have to stop and wait for what seemed like 5 seconds. Every other pass that wasn’t a dump off, looked terrible. Anything downfield with coverage was a miss. He’s not good enough to beat any of the top teams.

Clifford will not get you guys to a big game. He’s just not good. He hit two completely wide open guys and made one more guy have to stop and wait for what seemed like 5 seconds. Every other pass that wasn’t a dump off, looked terrible. Anything downfield with coverage was a miss. He’s not good enough to beat any of the top teams.
I don’t think any Peachy Paterno ice cream eating fan will deny this. 

Lot of fun to finally get to Madison. Great city and campus. Most people were nice, although the students were #####. 

Jump Around was really cool, but that place was pretty silent the last 10 minutes of the game. It was weird. Several other PSU fans we talked to after the game mentioned it. 

Pretty standard butt whooping today. Bigger test next week in Auburn. Don't care if they're unranked. They just put up back to back 60 point games. 

Black Shoe Diaries: recruiting

The Nittany Lions are prepping to host almost their entire 2022 recruiting class on campus this weekend. Their lone 2023 commit, five-star offensive lineman Alex Birchmeier, will also be on campus.

Quarterback Drew Allar is arguably the prized jewel of Penn State’s 2022 recruiting class. The top-100 signal caller appears to be the elite quarterback that has been the missing link during the Franklin Era in Happy Valley.

Last week a day many Penn State fans have feared since Allar committed to Penn State back in March arrived. The in-state Ohio State Buckeyes extended an offer to Allar. However, you may have missed this. After all, Allar did not promote the offer or mention it at all on social media, which, in my opinion, is pretty telling.
Allar discussed the offer with Ryan Snyder of Blue-White Illustrated. While you can read the full interview here the biggest takeaway is that Allar told Snyder that “nothing has changed and nothing will change.” Allar added that he is “locked in,” with the Nittany Lions.
If we can keep a big time Ohio recruit out of the Suckeyes hands, that's a win for us. :thumbup:

I am not excited about losing James Franklin.  Plus, the current roster could lose focus.  The current recruiting class could get cold feet.  Not good any way you look at it.

So, how do my fellow Nittany Lion fans feel about USC coming hard after Coach Franklin.
Seems to happen just about every year, with the main difference this time being that Helton is actually gone and there is actually an opening.

When he was hired, I remember Franklin saying something like “I’m a Pennsylvania boy with a Penn State heart”.  Guess we will see.  His goal is to win a national championship and if he thinks USC is an easier path to doing so I could see him leaving.  He has already been @ PSU longer than any other stop in his career I think.

I don’t think he jumps yet, but I also doubt he will be here all that much longer whether he leaves for another college job or jumps back to the pros.  If/when he does leave, I appreciate what he has done to help “Restore the Roar”.

Users who are viewing this thread