Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's Talk Penn State Football

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Ohio State, I nearly choked on my own vomit rooting for you today.  Get bent. Thanks, THE Pennsylvania State University

just received my confirmation-  going to the ROSE BOWL!!

First time posting in this thread. My folks grew in central, coal mining PA. Shamokin was the town name. I'm 37 and lived there some years of my childhood. Penn State, the Phillies and Eagles wer

Remember the "Clifford For Heisman" talk back during limited duty McSorley's last year?  Back when he went 5-7 for 195 &  2 TDs?

Back when we WERE Penn State?

I still love my Lions, but this year sure is hard to watch.  :bag:

Edited by Tin Cup
  • Like 1
On 11/12/2020 at 3:15 PM, Tom Servo said:

That's a shame. Before he ever really got a chance to shine on a different level. Too bad. Best goes out to the young man and may nothing but brightness come through his door for future endeavors.

• Like 1

Perspective

Want some perspective on Penn State’s 30-23 loss to Nebraska in Lincoln Saturday, a defeat that dropped the Nittany Lions to 0-4 on the 2020 season? For everything you’ve heard about the challenges facing the program during this crazy year, well, those are looking like nothing more than excuses at this point.

Consider, if you will, that when Penn State was hit with NCAA sanctions in 2012 — punishments some considered worse than the dreaded “Death Penalty” — it survived that stretch without suffering a single losing season. That was with significantly reduced scholarships, players being allowed to transfer without penalty, and no possibility of bowl games for what turned out to be two years.

So yes, James Franklin’s program has been impacted by some difficult circumstances this season — what turned out to be an ill-timed makeover of his staff, one significant late opt-out and the unfortunate loss of his top two running backs. And he’s playing a Big Ten-only slate.

But we’re now at the juncture where if the Nittany Lions lose one more game — and it sure is looking like that’s going to happen — it will ensure the program’s first sub-.500 campaign since going 4-7 in 2004. This from a team that was ranked No. 8 when its 2020 season began Oct. 24.

He's not wrong.

Edited by Tom Servo
13 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Perspective

He's not wrong.

Technically I believe he is wrong on one point: I think that the under .500 record for bowl games is out. Anyone can get in those games that are played. So we could go 3-5 in the regular season, beat Illinois or Minnesota for the 9th game and then win a bowl game to go 5-5. 

10 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Man - what is going on with PSU?

On a simple level, I think the loss to Indiana took the air out of the tires.  Until yesterday, the team had not had a lead for 12+ quarters after that pylon play.

Uncharacteristically high number of turnovers this year, which seems to lead to the wheels falling off each game.  Overall poor and inconsistent  (and below-average P5) QB play

Poor defensive schemes and execution, especially with the LBs and secondary.  Even in other poor years, usually PSU defense has been able to keep them in games.  Not this year.

Hearing rumblings of discontent in the locker room.  Will be interesting to watch the transfer portal this offseason.

• Like 2

Forgot the game was even on. Turned it on and watch Clifford throw a pick 6 where he couldn't be bothered to even try to tackled a DT rumbling down the field. Turned it back off. 

If they go 0 for, is there serious consideration in firing Franklin? This is embarrassing. 

6 hours ago, Insein said:

Forgot the game was even on. Turned it on and watch Clifford throw a pick 6 where he couldn't be bothered to even try to tackled a DT rumbling down the field. Turned it back off. 

If they go 0 for, is there serious consideration in firing Franklin? This is embarrassing. 

Recruiting is going to be difficult no matter who is coach now.  

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Looks like we’re pulling this one out. 

Do you think PSU should accept a bowl bid?

Is someone seriously offering a bowl bid, lol. If they are, take it. Do they deserve it? Absolutely not.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

What do you think of the Yurcich hire?

I feel really bad for Ciarrocca... and even though PSU's offense didn't click at the beginning, I really liked what he was doing with the offense.  I also loved that he was a central PA guy growing up in Lewisberry, practically in my backyard.

In a way I feel like this doesn't have much to do with Ciarrocca.  Yurcich was a big name.  I think he was Franklin's first pick for the job when it was eventually given to Ciarrocca.  He bacame available and Franklin pounced when he had the opportunity.

I also think he be gone soon, but I am actually somewhat impressed that Franklin is taking this shot.

Edited by Jutz

Agree. Like that he is taking his shot. Feel bad for Kirk, although I was annoyed by the play calling at times last year. 

I've heard, and believe is true since it's somewhat common, that Yurich was the first choice but that Ohio State did not allow him to interview with other B1G schools so he want to Texas and we got Ciarrocca. 

We'll see how it goes.