What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (3 Viewers)

I suspect in the next few days there's going to be an interview with Joe Paterno. Though the evidence seems to strongly suggest he has moral culpability for these terrible events, and while I think, reluctantly, that firing him was the right decision, I am going to withhold my personal final judgment of the man until I hear what he has to say. I'm hoping against hope that there are mitigating circumstances. I want to believe in the man.

What did you want Paterno to do? State law requires him to report this to his superiors, he did. His only mistake was actually believing the superiors could handle the situation. If his superiors handle it appropriately, none of this happens.
his only mistake?well, letting a child rapist hang around for another 9 years might have been another.
Sandusky was no longer under Paterno's control by 2002, he had emiratus status at Penn State through his retirment package. In order to revoke that, it had to be done by people above Paterno, most likely by the University President.
Stop.
Yes. After Paterno rid the school of all the child rapists he should have gone on to tackle all the underage drinking that goes on at Penn State. Then he could have helped out on all the petty crime and vandalism. Cured cancer. Ended world hunger. Established world peace. What other things do we expect from Paterno?
Moral compass. Look into it.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdfHere is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
I don't think anyone thinks Paterno did anything criminal by his omission. But the way the indictment reads, and the conclusions the grand jury came to, suggest that Paterno buried his head in the sand, at best, and went along with sweeping it under the rug, at worst.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdf

Here is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.

I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
What about morally?
Paterno had no way of knowing whether the report was truthful or not. It was not his job to investigate. He reported everything he knew to the people who should have investigated the report. A police report should have been filed by the University, not the coach. He is not charged with campus security.From a moral point of view, there were two people involved in this and there was no way for Paterno to know who was telling the truth. Destroying Sandusky's career over what could have been a false report also could have been morally wrong. He did the right thing by reporting it to the people who could investigate the charges.

Why didn't the mother or the child file charges? Why didn't the mother file a police report?

I love the people who act like it was an NCAA infraction and that there was some chain of command to go through.

Pretty sure if you are told of a murder or child rape the only chain of command is a direct call to the police.

I suspect in the next few days there's going to be an interview with Joe Paterno. Though the evidence seems to strongly suggest he has moral culpability for these terrible events, and while I think, reluctantly, that firing him was the right decision, I am going to withhold my personal final judgment of the man until I hear what he has to say. I'm hoping against hope that there are mitigating circumstances. I want to believe in the man.
Thanks, Tim.

That's great, Tim.

Thanks, Tim.
You're welcome! :thumbup:

I wonder how Joe will react when the reporter tells he has was fired a week ago

I have a hunch that the only insight you're going to get from a Joe Paterno interview is that he is a confused, semi-coherent old man.

I am simply amazed by the fact that the majority of callers in to the nightly Pittsburgh sports call-in show are defending Paterno and are outraged that he was fired.
Dont know what you listen to, but 93.7 is easily the best sports talk station these days, and Im not hearing that at all. Their 10pm-2am host Chris Mueller has been on point all week with this situation/scandal, and he's a PSU alum.

I am simply amazed by the fact that the majority of callers in to the nightly Pittsburgh sports call-in show are defending Paterno and are outraged that he was fired.
Dont know what you listen to, but 93.7 is easily the best sports talk station these days, and Im not hearing that at all. Their 10pm-2am host Chris Mueller has been on point all week with this situation/scandal, and he's a PSU alum.
Yeah, listening to Mueller right now. Was watching the Nightly Sports Call on the CW from 10:30-11.

The disdain for Paterno is crazy all over the place. Yeah, he didn't make a phone call but who is the guy that saw the activity? Who is the guy that actually did make a phone call... to his dad? As far as 2002, Paterno was inadvertently involved (as far as we know).

Good, Paterno is out. Move on to the next guy... the one who actually did see it. Let the witch hunt begin for him.
Wow.. Please go read the Grand Jury report before you make more of a fool out of yourself.

If you've got a 40-year old man who knows too much about the video games that 8-year olds play, that's a warning sign.

Thanks, Dr. Phil.

have a FB friend (who I work with) who went to PSU. here are his fb posts:

Joe Pa fired...bad move penn state. Let the man resign.JoPa followed the correct process for reporting incidents according to university by-laws. The issue is , was he morally obligated to do more.In the media, joe pa might be more powerful but on a college campus, he doesn't have much power at all. At the end of the day, he is a coach and reports to the AD. The president has a hell of alot more authority.
these guys are insane

i cant beleve people are mad that he was fired in a phone call

if he would have made a phone call more young boys wouldnt have been raped

if the worst he gets because of his inaction is a tarnished reputation and a phone call instead of a prison sentence he should be happy

every abuse victim after he had the chance to act and did nothings is on his soul and god will be his judge now

but hey penn state jackalopes go a head and protest over this it is a sad commentary on your intelligence and moral compass

Here is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.

I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
What about morally?
Paterno had no way of knowing whether the report was truthful or not. It was not his job to investigate. He reported everything he knew to the people who should have investigated the report. A police report should have been filed by the University, not the coach. He is not charged with campus security.From a moral point of view, there were two people involved in this and there was no way for Paterno to know who was telling the truth. Destroying Sandusky's career over what could have been a false report also could have been morally wrong. He did the right thing by reporting it to the people who could investigate the charges.

Why didn't the mother or the child file charges? Why didn't the mother file a police report?
Why didn't the 10-year old file charges? C'mon, man. Or the mother? Predators know who to target. I doubt the mother even knew. That's why many, including Joe Paterno himself, believe he didn't do enough. Kids can't protect themselves from adults.

Last edited by a moderator:

What about morally?

Yup, lots of people to blame...but Paterno is in that line too. And not just because he is the Diety of Penn St (which is an aggravating factor), but because after '02 when an assault was alledged by an existing and continuing football coach in a football building; he permitted Sandusky to attend practices (including closed practices) with young boys. And that fact alone, which is one of the few nuggets we know for sure, is grounds for dismissal. What we dont know? I'm afraid this could get far, far worse for JoePa; but that discussion about what's next is for another day.

You know there will be massive de-commitments and transfers. How are they going to recruit in the midst of this? PSU football is done. Sorry to break the news to you
I don't think any players have decommitted yet.Recruiting will certainly be a challenge, but they aren't going to become Indiana overnight I don't think.
Correct, as of now, no decommits. The #4 overall recruit crossed PSU off his list of a handful of schools, but thats usually the type of player we dont get. Derrick Williams was the last real elite recruit PSU got, and that was like 5-6 years ago.Recruiting will be more difficult, but Paterno's role in recruiting for the last few years if not more was severely dimished. It might actually end up being a wash if they bring in a coach that is a great recruiter.

What about morally?

Can you have lower expectations for the living legend who ran that school? Please.

The disdain for Paterno is crazy all over the place. Yeah, he didn't make a phone call but who is the guy that saw the activity? Who is the guy that actually did make a phone call... to his dad? As far as 2002, Paterno was inadvertently involved (as far as we know).

Good, Paterno is out. Move on to the next guy... the one who actually did see it. Let the witch hunt begin for him.
Wow.. Please go read the Grand Jury report before you make more of a fool out of yourself.
GRAND JURY REPORT

Why is the Penn State football program a disgrace?Sandusky wasn't a part of the program in 2002. Paterno is getting a very raw deal here.
Sandusky has used the Penn State facilities to sodomize young boys. Paterno has known him for 45 years. He has had access to bring boys their from the abused children charity that he was a part of. Are you dense or stupid?
Or in this country you are innocent until proven guilty he was not indicted and in this country law and order matters not an opinion.And stay away from the attacks on another it makes you really look just as bad.Jerry raped kids, not Joe he reported it yet the guy who witnessed it yet said nothing still has a job and no one is hating him.Face it many crave drama and firing Joe was the better story for the media. Even if he did what was required of him by law.
What was required by law is irrelavent. What you (Jopa) done if it was one of your kids? Are you kidding me.

I know this is insignificant and not important in the grand scheme of things considering the heinous crimes committed... but this scumbag Sandusky has brought down a legend and an institution. Don't get me wrong, all those involved deserve it, but it's just amazing how one person can ruin so many lives.
The legend brought himself down and truly has no one else to blame but himself.

Why is the Penn State football program a disgrace?Sandusky wasn't a part of the program in 2002. Paterno is getting a very raw deal here.
The only people that got anything raw, were a bunch of children.I don't know how closely related to JoPa you are but #### is just getting ready to hit the fan...wait til the feds get a hold of this

What about morally?

Can you have lower expectations for the living legend who ran that school? Please.
he ran the football program not the politics of the university. in the report it says joe reported it and the others covered it up. what else whas he supose to do, go above his bosses heads to the police based of only one report he heard? that is up to his superiors who covered it up.let me be clear sandusky is a man who should not be on this earth in any way but joe pa is getting a bad deal here regardless of manys self righteous opinion to a what i understand as a very sensitive subject. but lets not paint joe pa the person who reported it as the monster.

What about morally?

Why didn't the 10-year old file charges? C'mon, man. Or the mother? Predators know who to target. I doubt the mother even knew. That's why many, including Joe Paterno himself, believe he didn't do enough. Kids can't protect themselves from adults.
I thought you read the indictment?The mother was hiding the kid at home. Telling Sandusky he wasn't there when he was. You are saying that she didn't know something was wrong? She told Sandusky to stay away from him.

And he was 12. Not that it makes much of a difference, but the indictment states he knew what was happening was wrong. If he didn't tell his mother, why not? And why would she act that way towards Sandusky?

I'm not saying what happened isn't horrible. Its repulsive and horrible. What I'm saying is that it appears Joe Paterno wasn't aware of what was happening and wasn't trying to hide it. He went to his superiors and reported it immediately. If the Grand Jury thought he had knowledge and was concealing, he would have been indicted also.

I know this is insignificant and not important in the grand scheme of things considering the heinous crimes committed... but this scumbag Sandusky has brought down a legend and an institution. Don't get me wrong, all those involved deserve it, but it's just amazing how one person can ruin so many lives.
The legend brought himself down and truly has no one else to blame but himself.
:goodposting: I don't think this takes away from his accomplishments on the field, but it definitely makes one question what kind of man Paterno is. His legacy is still intact, but will be forever tarnished, and deservedly so.ETA: Absolutely the right call by Penn State to fire Paterno. You have to draw a line in the sand on certain things and say "that's not ok". This is one of those things.

Last edited by a moderator:

:shrug: I'm not going to hang a guy out to dry without hearing from him first. What did he know? How much did he know? When did he know? To my knowledge, neither of those have been clearly answered. Yeah, I'll wait until I hear facts compared to speculation as to "what he knew".PEACE

What about morally?

he ran the football program not the politics of the university. in the report it says joe reported it and the others covered it up. what else whas he supose to do, go above his bosses heads to the police based of only one report he heard? that is up to his superiors who covered it up.let me be clear sandusky is a man who should not be on this earth in any way but joe pa is getting a bad deal here regardless of manys self righteous opinion to a what i understand as a very sensitive subject. but lets not paint joe pa the person who reported it as the monster.
Do you honestly believe JoPa was just a mere link in the chain of command at PSU?

Users who are viewing this thread