What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (2 Viewers)

So, how do UMich fans think they'll do against OSU?
Never in a billion years, at the beginning of this year, would I have thought it was possible that Michigan would be favored in this game. I have no idea what to expect. All I know is I like the defense. If the correct offense shows up, game on.
I saw that defense on Saturday. I was impressed. Of course, Franklin kept wanting to run laterally and you guys just wouldn't let it happen. I'm waiting to see what happens.I really hope you deny their seniors a chance to go out with golden pants.
Their injuries are up the gut on the defensive line. I didn't understand why Franklin was wanting to go laterally either. Made no sense to me, but I'm just a dude sitting on my couch watching these games with a 12 pack, so what the hell do I know?

So, how do UMich fans think they'll do against OSU?
Never in a billion years, at the beginning of this year, would I have thought it was possible that Michigan would be favored in this game. I have no idea what to expect. All I know is I like the defense. If the correct offense shows up, game on.
I saw that defense on Saturday. I was impressed. Of course, Franklin kept wanting to run laterally and you guys just wouldn't let it happen. I'm waiting to see what happens.I really hope you deny their seniors a chance to go out with golden pants.
Their injuries are up the gut on the defensive line. I didn't understand why Franklin was wanting to go laterally either. Made no sense to me, but I'm just a dude sitting on my couch watching these games with a 12 pack, so what the hell do I know?
Franklin is half an idiot, so there's that.

Going on record now as saying this season has suprassed my expectations by a mile.

I am super excited for what the future holds.

I'd sure love to kick that future off by beating the Buckeyes though. :D

Going on record now as saying this season has suprassed my expectations by a mile.

I am super excited for what the future holds.

I'd sure love to kick that future off by beating the Buckeyes though. :D
:goodposting: Yeah, it's been a really fun season to watch even if they lose to OSU this week. I like that things are finally back on track and it appears that Michigan will be relevant again for the next little while. If they can keep Harbaugh for 5 years, i'd be elated.

If Franklin weren't such a terrible coach I think Penn State would have a shot. They have the potential to move the ball through the air where Michigan State has a tendency to struggle and they have a solid defense while Michigan State is currently suffering through problems at QB. The problem is Franklin is a terrible coach, so he'll call a run-heavy gameplan and not give Hack audible options at the line.

Anyone who has watched Hackenberg more than two or three times knows how conpletely horrible he is. Penn State fans in the crowd who were also Steelers fans, were saying he should go pro after this year so the Browns could draft him. lol

He's brutal. Poor decision making, melts immediately under pressure, no ability to go through progressions. It's a one receiver route and a sack.

MAC_32 said:
If Franklin weren't such a terrible coach I think Penn State would have a shot. They have the potential to move the ball through the air where Michigan State has a tendency to struggle and they have a solid defense while Michigan State is currently suffering through problems at QB. The problem is Franklin is a terrible coach, so he'll call a run-heavy gameplan and not give Hack audible options at the line.
Spot-on.

Anyone who has watched Hackenberg more than two or three times knows how conpletely horrible he is. Penn State fans in the crowd who were also Steelers fans, were saying he should go pro after this year so the Browns could draft him. lol

He's brutal. Poor decision making, melts immediately under pressure, no ability to go through progressions. It's a one receiver route and a sack.
Thing is, he didn't suck like this as a freshman. There was discussion in the PSU thread that he seemed to succeed under BOB's pro-style offense, and that Franklin's offense doesn't suit his skills. IMO, he ought to pull a Flacco and transfer to an FCS school to boost his draft stock.

MAC_32 said:
Spot-on.
The thing is, when PSU hired Franklin, I thought it was a GREAT hire. Franklin won big at Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT! Believe me - that is not easy. It is remarkable.

So I don't know what's going on at PSU.

MAC_32 said:
Spot-on.
The thing is, when PSU hired Franklin, I thought it was a GREAT hire. Franklin won big at Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT! Believe me - that is not easy. It is remarkable.

Thing is, I don't either. To be fair, a lot of these players are BoBs guys, but that shouldn't be an issue except at QB.

MAC_32 said:
Spot-on.

He doesn't have the players. Three years of sanctions, key player transfers, and a new system made it tough. Hackenberg sucks, the offensive line sucks too but he's been sacked 101 times in three years. lol Like I said, one receiver route ending in a sack. That's penn states go to play.

MAC_32 said:
Spot-on.

He doesn't have the players. Three years of sanctions, key player transfers, and a new system made it tough. Hackenberg sucks, the offensive line sucks too but he's been sacked 101 times in three years. lol Like I said, one receiver route ending in a sack. That's penn states go to play.
Yep, coaching matters.

MAC_32 said:
Spot-on.

Yep, coaching matters.
Armchair coaches don't, thankfully.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2015/11/24/harbaugh-busts-buckeye-bos-memory/76346924/

Ann Arbor — They walked together quietly through Forest Hill Cemetery, most holding roses and flowers to set at the graves of legendary Michigan football coaches Fielding Yost and Bo Schembechler and longtime radio broadcaster Bob Ufer.

This has become a tradition here, organized by Jeffrey Holzhausen the Tuesday before the annual Michigan-Ohio State game, which is Saturday at Michigan Stadium. Holzhausen started the grave walk as an organized event in 1997, although he started coming alone to the grave sites in 1992 during his freshman year at Michigan as a personal tribute.

An estimated 200 fans walked Tuesday night through the cemetery, first stopping at Schembechler’s grave.

As Holzhausen addressed the group, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, a former Michigan quarterback who played for Schembechler and is about to coach in his first Michigan-Ohio State game, and his father, Jack Harbaugh, who coached with Schembechler, joined the group and listened.

After Holzhausen’s impassioned speech about Schembechler, he asked if anyone wanted to speak.

“I know we’ve got a big group, guys, feel free,” Holzhausen said. “Come on.”

Jim Harbaugh, also accompanied by his 15-year-old daughter Grace, and Zach Eisendrath, Michigan football director of operations and internal communications, piped up.

“I’d like to say something,” Harbaugh said.

Holzhausen later said he had no idea Harbaugh had arrived.

“I had no idea he was there,” he said. “It’s Michigan magic and tradition all in one spot. It meant the world to me.”

Harbaugh moved closer to Schembechler’s grave and spoke about his coach.

“Bo was my coach,” Harbaugh said. “I first met him when I was nine years old when my dad coached here at Michigan. He was the secondary coach. He was larger than life to our family. Excited and enthusiasm beyond what anybody could imagine. He would let us come to practice. We were ball boys, my brother John and I.

“And getting to play for coach Schembechler, what I can tell you is this, everything I base my entire professional life on and my personal life was learned here at the University of Michigan. It’s rooted at the University of Michigan, it was experienced at the University of Michigan. And it’s the team, the team, the team. We win as a team. Everybody does a little, and it adds up to a lot. When it came to honor, integrity, doing things at the highest level, Bo Schembechler set the standard.

“I draw daily inspiration from coach Schembechler, like so many that knew him, anybody that knew him, anybody that was associated with him, anybody that played for him or anybody that coached with him, he set the standard at the very highest level. One of the greatest of all time, Bo Schembechler.”

Holzhausen then asked if anyone wanted to follow Harbaugh’s speech. Jack Harbaugh stepped up.

“I was here for seven years with Bo from 1973 to 1979 and we competed six times against Woody Hayes,” Jack Harbaugh said. “Not a day went by in (Schembechler’s) presence that you weren’t motivated and moved by (him).

“Never once did he give a talk before a game that the hair didn’t raise up on the back of my neck. He was such a motivator and such an inspiration.”

Jack Harbaugh added that Schembechler affected the personal lives of his assistants, as well.

“The values he taught us and values he taught his players, we as coaches used that with our own children,” Harbaugh said.

“I loved the man, I will always love him. As long as there is breath in my body, he will be an inspiration and inspire me. Thank you so much, Bo Schembechler.”

Holzhausen then asked Harbaugh if he would smash a buckeye. A small bright blue block was set on the ground, covered with patchy snow, in front of Schembechler’s grave. Harbaugh smashed it to the delight of those gathered.

Holzhausen, the first to speak, gave a personal remembrance of Schembechler.

“I don’t think there’s anybody I learned more about life from other than my dad and grandfathers than Bo and Michigan football. It’s only appropriate to honor him,” Holzhausen said. “We went through a long stretch where, frankly, we owned Ohio State and we earned it. We didn’t take it for granted, we earned every one of those ones. But I knew the other shoe would drop at some point.

“I didn’t know it would hit us and drop as hard as it did. I can’t imagine how proud Bo would be to know that one of his own has come back to lead us back to where this program is supposed to be and already has got us on our way. There’s no doubt in my mind, my kids are going to talk about coach Harbaugh like I talk about Bo.”

The group then moved through the cemetery to the graves of Ufer and Yost. When they had paid their respects, they concluded with the singing of the alma mater, “The Yellow and Blue” and then fight song, “The Victors.” Harbaugh then asked the group to pay tribute to the 5-year-old Chad Carr, the youngest son of Tammi and Jason Carr, who passed away Monday from a brain tumor.

Chad Carr is the grandson of former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr and All-American defensive back Tom Curtis. Jason Carr was a quarterback at Michigan and Tammi was the longtime development officer at Mott Children’s Hospital.

Harbaugh asked the group to recite the Lord’s Prayer in Chad’s honor.

“That’s how we ended the night,” Holzhausen said.

Michigan quarterback Jake Rudock heard about the cemetery walk late and arrived as it was concluding. Holzhausen and about 10 others, including Plymouth resident Griffin Hickman, 31, and 2006 Michigan graduate, gave him the tour of the three grave sites. Rudock also smashed a buckeye at Schembechler’s grave.

Hickman said he was moved by Harbaugh’s presence at the walk.

“He obviously has a major responsibility this week or any week during the season, yet he chose to spend an hour of his time as part of a favorite tradition we’ve enjoyed for years,” Hickman said. “To see him in the background when Jeff was talking about his return to Michigan and the fact Jeff didn’t know he was there added a little drama to the night. It was really interesting watching him listening to what Jeff said about him, and you could tell he was moved about what was said about him as a successor within the program.

“I would go on the grave walk with or without Jim Harbaugh there and have a half-dozen times, but to have Jim and Jack Harbaugh there, and later, Jake Rudock, really speaks to how tonight’s tradition has spread throughout the Michigan family. There’s no question that it gets us all fired up for Ohio State week.”

angelique.chengelis@detroitnews.com

Right now it feels like the worst loss one of my teams has ever suffered. It's hard to compare NCAAFB to other sports because every game counts and I've seen some heartbreakers in Detroit that had bigger implications, but this one really stings
Michigan's loss to Iowa in 1985 on a really long FG cost them the National Championship. There have been worse losses. The abrupt ending just makes it seem worse than it was.
Maybe, but that was a huge game that would have meant a ton to Michigan after nearly a decade of suffering. This loss was bad on many levels including knocking them off of any hope of making it to the national championship playoff.
:lmao: That wasn't happening anyway. You might want to watch some other college football games jon, this team is not there yet.
Yeah, crazy talk. They would be sitting around #5 right now with a coin toss game vs. OSU then the Big10 title game which would be tougher. I just said there would have been a hope though.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://tinyurl.com/juyjjhs

From the great state of West West Virginia. I guess when you are getting owned by Mike Huckabee you have time on your hands.
They do this every year :lmao:
Along with the whole "That Team Up North", both are terrible shtick.
I'm not a big fan of the "ohio" shtick either, but for whatever reason it seems to drive them crazy. It's like fishing with dynamite in my family :lol:
It's not insulting to me, it's just kind of puzzling in a weird juvenile way.

From the great state of West West Virginia. I guess when you are getting owned by Mike Huckabee you have time on your hands.
I'm not a big fan of the "ohio" shtick either, but for whatever reason it seems to drive them crazy. It's like fishing with dynamite in my family :lol:
you go boy!!!! :thumbup:

You still have to answer for that whole Xichigan and That Team Up North shtick, which sucks.

You still have to answer for that whole Xichigan and That Team Up North shtick, which sucks.
Yeah I think it's kind of cheesy too. I get it from a rah-rah perspective...if you're a student. After you're 21 or so it seems a bit brainwashed to get that worked up. Yeah like everyone else, Michigan's arrogance annoys me, but I don't get the over the top act in response.

Not a total loss today

ANN ARBOR -- Less than two hours after dropping a humbling game against rival Ohio State, Michigan got a bit of good news for its future.

Four-star 2016 defensive lineman Jordan Elliott announced his commitment to Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder from Houston rates as the No. 98 player overall in 247sports.com's national composite list.

While I'm not a huge fan of any of the rivalry shtick, at the 'the team up north' thing has some history behind it.

Wow, what a dud today...... I mean, damn... we looked better the last few years when we REALLY sucked and had little to play for except pride!

Big Jim better win the bowl game, otherwise this season doesn't look that different from something Hoke might have produced with a bunch of rah rah enthusiasm.

And if Iowa somehow wins next Saturday, everyone looks that much worse.

Big Jim better win the bowl game, otherwise this season doesn't look that different from something Hoke might have produced with a bunch of rah rah enthusiasm.

And if Iowa somehow wins next Saturday, everyone looks that much worse.
You seem oddly unfamiliar with what Mickgan football was this last decade. Last year Michigan was 5-7 with loses to several really bad teams. You also don't get how bad Michigan's defense had been. Yesterday was the first time their defense looked terrible. A bad day for Michigan for sure, but an unbelievable season from what was.Probably a leading candidate for National Coach if the Year. But yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a total loss today

ANN ARBOR -- Less than two hours after dropping a humbling game against rival Ohio State, Michigan got a bit of good news for its future.

Four-star 2016 defensive lineman Jordan Elliott announced his commitment to Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder from Houston rates as the No. 98 player overall in 247sports.com's national composite list.
I'll take the pity commit....Get Gary and they are well on their way to fixing their problem :thumbup:

Yesterday was frustrating to say the least. I'm not an X's and O's expert, but it boggles my mind that Michigan was getting the ball run down their throats and yet still only had 6 in the box with 2 safeties deep. The biggest strength of the defense is the secondary and specifically the ability of the corners to lock down with man-to-man coverage so WHY were they not stacking 8 in the box? I really don't get it.

Yesterday was frustrating to say the least. I'm not an X's and O's expert, but it boggles my mind that Michigan was getting the ball run down their throats and yet still only had 6 in the box with 2 safeties deep. The biggest strength of the defense is the secondary and specifically the ability of the corners to lock down with man-to-man coverage so WHY were they not stacking 8 in the box? I really don't get it.
I didn't get the impression we played much/any two deep. The problems early after the roughing penalty were the combo of losing Glasgow and lb's over pursuing/not staying in their lanes. After getting run over for a while the whole unit just became demoralized. I knew Glasgow was valuable, but before the Indiana and Ohio games I didn't realize he was our defensive mvp.

While I'm not a huge fan of any of the rivalry shtick, at the 'the team up north' thing has some history behind it.
Agreed. I can understand that. It's the whole Xichigan thing that seems juvenile.

Can't Ohio work in calling Michigan the Oven Mitt state?

Users who are viewing this thread