What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (1 Viewer)

I was really hoping someone else would take that job. Having him in the same division on the east coast is not good.

The downside of having good assistants is other people want to hire them. Such is life. We will survive.

ETA: I don't remember a single Brady Hoke assistant leaving for a promotion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The downside of having good assistants is other people want to hire them. Such is life. We will survive.

nope...certainly a double edged sword. Mattison staying around has helped on the defensive side of the ball though.

I was really hoping someone else would take that job. Having him in the same division on the east coast is not good.
As a Maryland alumnus, I feel I can tell you with all certainty to not worry, as the powers that be in College Park will no doubt find a way to screw this up. I'm guessing they'll let him go after year 3, you know, just as his recruits (the ones he doesn't lose to Penn State, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. that is) start coming into their prime.

Don't get me wrong, however; I think it was a good hire as he seems to have to qualities we need in his 'pedigree' and hopefully ties to the recruiting pipeline that will bring in a better stream of recruits than the program has historically been able to consistently land, and I hope he can get folks excited about the football program again. I just don't see anything short of a miracle overcoming the ineptitude of the school's administration when it comes to turning it around.

Sorry for the slight hijack. Thanks for the coach, guys.

As a Maryland alumnus, I feel I can tell you with all certainty to not worry, as the powers that be in College Park will no doubt find a way to screw this up. I'm guessing they'll let him go after year 3, you know, just as his recruits (the ones he doesn't lose to Penn State, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. that is) start coming into their prime.

Don't get me wrong, however; I think it was a good hire as he seems to have to qualities we need in his 'pedigree' and hopefully ties to the recruiting pipeline that will bring in a better stream of recruits than the program has historically been able to consistently land, and I hope he can get folks excited about the football program again. I just don't see anything short of a miracle overcoming the ineptitude of the school's administration when it comes to turning it around.

I think he's going to be a great coach personally. And I'm glad he stayed in the B1G. The conference needs some new, quality blood running through it's veins.

I think he's going to be a great coach personally. And I'm glad he stayed in the B1G. The conference needs some new, quality blood running through it's veins.
Hiring a perceived "up and comer" is the only way to turn it around. hiring a re tread will get the same results.

Taking the UC model:

You win games ugly (defensively)

Then you get an offense and fill the stands

Probably going to need to string together 1-2 good coaching hires unless you get someone who was an alumni right away

It took UC Dantoni, Kelly, Butch before they fell on their face and hired Tuberville. But it was a pretty good turnaround over a decade.

nope...certainly a double edged sword. Mattison staying around has helped on the defensive side of the ball though.
I guess, at worst, Mattison becomes DC again. It's pretty comforting knowing that's the floor in this search.

I am not really worried about Durkin the coach as much as Durkin the recruiter trying to sway current/ on the fence kids away from Michigan this year. But it swings both ways. If we get Jeremy Pruitt then the chances of landing Mecole Hardman (5* ATH) increase, so that would be nice.

I am not really worried about Durkin the coach as much as Durkin the recruiter trying to sway current/ on the fence kids away from Michigan this year. But it swings both ways. If we get Jeremy Pruitt then the chances of landing Mecole Hardman (5* ATH) increase, so that would be nice.
IMO, recruiting will always be an uphill fight for any coach at Maryland. First, it's now becoming a basketball-only school, second, there are so many other 'attractions' in the area that Maryland football will always be lucky to be a top 10 priority, and third, which is a result of the second point, Maryland historically loses the local recruiting battles to schools like Penn State, West Virginia and Syracuse, and forget about recruiting players from the South, as even the third-tier players coming out of Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, etc.--who would be STUDS in College Park, still choose the southern schools instead. Durkin has to break that cycle to make Maryland football anywhere near relevant again, which is a daunting task in and of itself, let alone having to deal with an administration that seems to not want a good football program and figures out new and more infuriating ways to set the program back every few years.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
MAC_32 said:
Lewis and Butt returning!? :excited:
Big mistake professional IMO. Their draft stock going to get any higher by returning?
I agree on Butt. I cant see his stock getting much higher next year. He isn't gonna be Jimmy Graham in the NFL but will be a solid pass catching TE in the NFL. Not saying he has peaked, but I see more things happening to hurt his stock (injuries, new QB growing pains, etc) than to improve it.

Also, I wouldn't put it past the Lions to spend a first round pick on him...LOL.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
MAC_32 said:
Big mistake professional IMO. Their draft stock going to get any higher by returning?
I agree on Butt. I cant see his stock getting much higher next year. He isn't gonna be Jimmy Graham in the NFL but will be a solid pass catching TE in the NFL. Not saying he has peaked, but I see more things happening to hurt his stock (injuries, new QB growing pains, etc) than to improve it.

Also, I wouldn't put it past the Lions to spend a first round pick on him...LOL.
Hopefully it's to get bigger/stronger and improve as a blocker. That could shorten his learning curve in the pros and if he does that on top of continuing to be a play maker in the passing game it could improve his stock. I was certainly happily surprised about the news though.

I have doubts about Lewis testing well, so if that's the case then another year of great tape could help minimize those doubts.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
MAC_32 said:
Butt needs to work big time on the blocking part of his game. Arguments could probably be made either way with him IMO.

Rumor from 247 board- Magnus at mgoblog believes is true.

Friend of mine who is an alum just sent me a text saying that his relative treated Jabrill Peppers at an Ann Arbor hospital after he punched glass and tore a ligament in his arm/wrist. Apparently out for the bowl game. Still nothing being reported, but just thought I'd pass it along. Apparently he has been seen in a cast around campus

Has any of this been verified? :oldunsure:

My suspicion is because "leaking" something like this is against some sort of privacy law isn't it?

1. Life has a way of humbling you..

2. Everything doesn't need a reaction.. Take a mental note & keep it moving.

I am really more surprised it took this long to come out. These were posted on the 4th. When people see a star football player in some sort of cast/wrap they are going to have questions.

Big get today. Devin Bush Jr 4* ILB and an FSU legacy. Kareem Walker is looking good for Michigan tomorrow (5* RB) and it appears as if he is trying to get Isaac Nauta (5* TE) back in the mix.

Big get today. Devin Bush Jr 4* ILB and an FSU legacy. Kareem Walker is looking good for Michigan tomorrow (5* RB) and it appears as if he is trying to get Isaac Nauta (5* TE) back in the mix.
I am starting to think the Harbaugh hire may have been a good one.

been working hard on the TE for a while now. Steps in the right direction for sure.

been working hard on the TE for a while now. Steps in the right direction for sure.
I saw that this might be a top 5 recruiting class? A dozen 4* and ten or so 3* ...with a couple of possible 5* pending. Nice.

I saw that this might be a top 5 recruiting class? A dozen 4* and ten or so 3* ...with a couple of possible 5* pending. Nice.
If they land Walker tomorrow they move to #1 on Rivals and Scout

Doesnt mean everything and its a little misleading since they have 23 commits vs everyone else in the high teens, but its certainly something.

It's already at 6 in three composite rankings. Have Rio develop then though

Users who are viewing this thread