What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (1 Viewer)

I've always felt the amount of weapons in GB kind of hurt Finley's production. He needs to go somewhere like... say Buffalo who are one of the few teams that will probably be foolish enough to give him a big extension and where he will see a high volume of targets.
I love this line of reasoning. It's why Finley will continue to be over-rated even in the face of years of disappointing production and now a very serious injury.

"Hmmm... Finley couldn't live up to expectations in a pass heavy system with a HOF QB and other great weapons, but I just know he's a BEAST. Yeah, he needs a run first system, a ####ty QB, and a steady diet of double coverage -- then he'll prove me right!"

It's well past time to stop grasping at straws and making excuses for this player. It's been obvious for a while now that he's just not all that good, despite his legions of blind fans...

I was just offered a trade for Tim Wright for Finley. I think Finley has more talent, but will he be the same guy when/if he comes back?
The real question is where he'll end up. I was a big proponent of Finley this past year and I still think it was the right call. He was on pace for a very nice season. However, that wasn't based on talent, it was based on situation and ADP. His drops and low TD numbers in 2012 made his 2013 price tag pretty reasonable and the departure of Jennings would only benefit him. He seemed to have worked out the drops and was back on the same page with Rodgers. Now that his situation is uncertain, I don't want anything to do with him. I think his talent and athleticism has always been overrated. People called him a physical freak when his combine numbers were merely mediocre. He was well suited for the slot in GB and would've been awesome if not for the drops, but he's not a Vernon Davis who can beast in even the worst situations.

I think his talent and athleticism has always been overrated. People called him a physical freak when his combine numbers were merely mediocre. He was well suited for the slot in GB and would've been awesome if not for the drops, but he's not a Vernon Davis who can beast in even the worst situations.
This.

The other thing with Finley is that he has a good sized group of true believers that unshakably believe that he absolutely is an elite talent who has somehow been hindered by a top-5 situation. I'm pretty sure these folks will yet again drive his ADP up into the midrange TE1 level even if he lands somewhere brutal.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel considers the Packers "pretty unlikely" to re-sign free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery).
The Packers' medical team wouldn't clear FS Nick Collins following a similar neck procedure, and may fail Finley in the same way. Ex-college basketball player Brandon Bostick wound up playing under 150 offensive snaps 2013, but flashed with his opportunities and is worth owning in Dynasty leagues as Finley's potential heir apparent. Andrew Quarless is another unrestricted free agent.

I just can't quit this guy. Can't trade him now, hate to drop him just in case. Grabbed him off waivers 4 years ago and have turned down trade offers for him that in hindsight would have been wise. ####.

Rotoworld:

Player rep Blake Baratz says Dr. Joseph Maroon believes free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) should be fully healed "sometime in the next 4-8 weeks."

Maroon, the Steelers' neurosurgeon, performed Finley's neck fusion surgery and recently said there's a "99.9 percent" chance Finley will make a full recovery. Each of the 32 teams in the NFL is going to have its own opinion on Finley, but Baratz expects the soon-to-be 27-year-old to have an active market. The Packers are considered "pretty unlikely" to re-sign Finley. Finley is our No. 3 free-agent tight end, behind Jimmy Graham and Dennis Pitta.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy is "very open and optimistic" about free agent Jermichael Finley's return from his neck injury.
Finley is recovering from the same spinal-fusion surgery that former Packers S Nick Collins underwent, but is apparently making far better progress. "(The Packers team doctor) doesn't feel the same way about Jermichael as he felt about Nick," McCarthy said. "So I'm very open and optimistic about Jermichael coming back. I think the specifics of their injuries are different." Finley isn't considered likely to re-sign with the Packers, but is Rotoworld's No. 3 free agent tight end.

Source: ESPN Wisconsin

Rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy is "very open and optimistic" about free agent Jermichael Finley's return from his neck injury.

Finley is recovering from the same spinal-fusion surgery that former Packers S Nick Collins underwent, but is apparently making far better progress. "(The Packers team doctor) doesn't feel the same way about Jermichael as he felt about Nick," McCarthy said. "So I'm very open and optimistic about Jermichael coming back. I think the specifics of their injuries are different." Finley isn't considered likely to re-sign with the Packers, but is Rotoworld's No. 3 free agent tight end.

Ugh. MCCarthy's man love for Finley continues

Rotoworld:

I called this shortly after he got KO'd. Finley is going to find a very soft market if any and GB will resign him cheaply. Quarless and Bostick had their chance and really didn't impress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Whether or not he should or will come back to the Packers is open for debate. However, what's really newsworthy here is that the Packers team doctor, who is ultra conservative in giving players clearance, seems optimistic Finley will play again.

Personally, I'd like to see the Packers bring him back because they really don't have anybody else near starter quality on their roster. That way they can focus their attention in the draft on defense.

Rotoworld:

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports there's a "healthy market forming" for free agent Jermichael Finley.
This is obviously an agent-driven report, so take it with a grain of salt. The good news is, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last Friday that he was "very open and optimistic" about Finley's recovery. Finley's agent said earlier this month that he could be cleared within the next two months. Barring a setback, we're likely to see Finley back on an NFL field in 2014.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Whether or not he should or will come back to the Packers is open for debate. However, what's really newsworthy here is that the Packers team doctor, who is ultra conservative in giving players clearance, seems optimistic Finley will play again.

Personally, I'd like to see the Packers bring him back because they really don't have anybody else near starter quality on their roster. That way they can focus their attention in the draft on defense.
Good riddance. More mouth than production warrants. Finley drops crucial balls all the time.

Rotoworld:

Good riddance. More mouth than production warrants. Finley drops crucial balls all the time.
Wow..I usually don't agree with you assessments, but in this one, I think your straight on. Finley for the most part has been all hype and no production when needed. Packers should save their money.

Rotoworld:

According to Profootballtalk.com, free agent Jermichael Finley's medical clearance from neck surgery "could be coming very soon."
Finley's primary doctor and neurosurgeon have been out of the country, but return on Friday. Per PFT, the "goal" of Finley's camp is to receive clearance by Tuesday, when free agency begins. Still only 27 years old, Finley's market could be busy if he indeed gets the green light. CBS Sports reported late last month that there's already a "healthy market forming" for Finley.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Rotoworld:

According to Profootballtalk.com, free agent Jermichael Finley's medical clearance from neck surgery "could be coming very soon."
Finley's primary doctor and neurosurgeon have been out of the country, but return on Friday. Per PFT, the "goal" of Finley's camp is to receive clearance by Tuesday, when free agency begins. Still only 27 years old, Finley's market could be busy if he indeed gets the green light. CBS Sports reported late last month that there's already a "healthy market forming" for Finley.

Don't let the door hit you in A$$. C'ya

Serious question: Has any player in fantasy football history ever had a longer consecutive streak of finishes below his ADP?

Finley's been drafted as a top-12 TE as far back as I can remember (at least 2010). Yet he's had only one season with a top-12 finish. And that was 2011, when he ranked TE5 ... and his ADP was TE4.

It's possible that we could be talking about the single most overrated fantasy player of his generation here. So he's got that goin' for him. Which is nice.

Serious question: Has any player in fantasy football history ever had a longer consecutive streak of finishes below his ADP?

Finley's been drafted as a top-12 TE as far back as I can remember (at least 2010). Yet he's had only one season with a top-12 finish. And that was 2011, when he ranked TE5 ... and his ADP was TE4.

It's possible that we could be talking about the single most overrated fantasy player of his generation here. So he's got that goin' for him. Which is nice.
Meh, he got hurt in 2010 and 2013 and only played in 11 games combined those two years. As you mentioned, he was TE5 in 2011 on 767 yards and 8 TDs. He only scored 2 TDs in 2012, and obviously that caused him to plummet in the TE rankings. If he would have scored the same 8 TDs, he would have been TE 7.

I think he's not as good as he once looked like he could be. The injuries have robbed him a bit. But he's kind of a running joke around here, and now pretty under rated because of it. He was young/immature, and suffered a couple season ending injuries. He's also had issues with dropping the ball. But those issues looked like they were going away in 2013 as his play was much improved from prior years. Then he got the neck injury. His career is still at a bit of a crossroads here. I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 guy, but if his neck isn't an issue, I think he'll surprise a lot of people around here with a number of top 10 finishes in the next few years.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe reports free agent Jermichael Finley is drawing interest from the Jets, Chiefs, Seahawks, Giants, and Steelers.
We're not disputing the report, but it certainly sounds like it came directly from the mouth of Finley's agent. Finley has not been medically cleared to play football after last year's spinal fusion surgery. He does hope to receive clearance by early next week. If Finley gets the green light, he should be seeking one-year, "prove-it" deals. He's still only 27 years old.

Related: Giants, Jets, Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Although free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) has not received medical clearance, he is expected to begin making "multiple visits" this week.
Finley has been hoping to be cleared on Tuesday. Even if he doesn't formally get it, Finley is expected to begin visiting teams and taking physical in hopes of landing a contract. Finley turns 27 later this month. He is at the top of a weak tight end market, but will probably only get one-year offers.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Although free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) has not received medical clearance, he is expected to begin making "multiple visits" this week.
Finley has been hoping to be cleared on Tuesday. Even if he doesn't formally get it, Finley is expected to begin visiting teams and taking physical in hopes of landing a contract. Finley turns 27 later this month. He is at the top of a weak tight end market, but will probably only get one-year offers.

so he'll be looed at tomorrow by his doctors? Or has he failed?

Rotoworld:

Free agent Jermichael Finley left his Seahawks visit without a contract, but the sides have "mutual interest" in a deal.
Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Seahawks are waiting for Finely to gain full medical clearance from his neck surgery before signing him. Finley hasn't scheduled any other visits, and it's possible his Seattle signing is a formality upon getting the green light health-wise.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk reports there’s "no timetable" for free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) to gain full medical clearance.
Finley is still expected to ultimately be cleared, but is in a "holding pattern." Finley visited the Seahawks last week, but hasn't scheduled any other trips. Seattle isn't expected to make an offer until Finley's neck gets the green light.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

James Starks' deal is worth $3.165 million

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Excerpt:

The process: Tight end Jermichael Finley is at least two months away and maybe several months more from being in position to sign with a team, a source familiar with the situation said this week.

Finley, one of the 10 unsigned players on the Packers' unrestricted list, visited Seattle on March 12. John Schneider, who was scouting for the Packers when they drafted Finley in 2008, is the Seahawks' general manager.

The Seahawks thanked Finley for coming and informed him in so many words to stay in touch after the passage of time would presumably mean additional healing for his bruised spinal cord, according to sources.

Obviously, the Seahawks' opinion will circulate among teams because they were the first club Finley visited.

Finley underwent a cervical fusion Nov. 14 after suffering damage to the C3-C4 area of his spine. He was injured Oct. 20 on a hard hit by Cleveland safety Tashaun Gipson.

Safety Sean Richardson underwent a cervical fusion on Jan. 15, 2013, after suffering a herniated disc in the C5-C6 area of his spine. It was 10½ months later before the Packers' medical staff gave him full clearance to practice and play as a member of the 53-man roster.

Besides Quarless, the Packers have other veterans — Brandon Bostick, Ryan Taylor and Jake Stoneburner — at tight end.

It probably wasn't coincidence that Zach Miller, the Seahawks' starter, signed off on a huge pay cut two days after the visit by Finley. Seattle also has talented underachiever Anthony McCoy, Luke Willson and Travis Beckum at tight end.

Also at play is the $10 million tax-free insurance policy that Finley would collect if he can't play again.

Rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger believes the Giants could be a landing spot for free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) if they fail to find a tight end in the draft.
The Giants currently have Adrien Robinson atop their depth chart, but are expected to add competition through the draft or free agency. Despite his immense upside, Robinson has appeared in just three career games and still has to earn an offensive role. Finley has yet to be medically cleared and is "at least two months" from signing with an NFL team.

Related: Giants

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

So Finley would get a $10 million tax-free insurance settlement if he never played again, which he equated to $16 million pretax. (Kudos to him for taking out that policy.) He turns 27 this week. If I am him, I am done and taking that money. Finley would need to perform well on a one year prove-it deal this year and then try and get a long-term deal at 28. And those long-term deals never go the full term. Does anyone see him making $16 million in the NFL going forward? I don't see it as a wise financial decision to try to play, not to mention all of the work and injury risk in general playing in the NFL.

So Finley would get a $10 million tax-free insurance settlement if he never played again, which he equated to $16 million pretax. (Kudos to him for taking out that policy.) He turns 27 this week. If I am him, I am done and taking that money. Finley would need to perform well on a one year prove-it deal this year and then try and get a long-term deal at 28. And those long-term deals never go the full term. Does anyone see him making $16 million in the NFL going forward? I don't see it as a wise financial decision to try to play, not to mention all of the work and injury risk in general playing in the NFL.
I gotta think theres more to the policy than him not wanting to play anymore. To collect 10 million i bet hes gotta prove beyond reason that he CAN NOT play even he wants to, and its probably got to be from multiple Drs. Then heaven forbid if someone see him working out after he puts in the claim. But if he can't get cleared by the beginning of the season he might wat to start the process of collecting.

I gotta think theres more to the policy than him not wanting to play anymore. To collect 10 million i bet hes gotta prove beyond reason that he CAN NOT play even he wants to, and its probably got to be from multiple Drs. Then heaven forbid if someone see him working out after he puts in the claim. But if he can't get cleared by the beginning of the season he might wat to start the process of collecting.
Seems like that wouldn't be hard to prove. He had his vertebrae fused and plays a very violent sport. What sort of lawsuit do you think he'd have against the insurance company if they denied his claim and he was later paralyzed after returning to football?

The talk and "show how much Im working" stuff may just be the proof he needs to collect.

Keep talking to teams, keep working and showing that. Then when nobody will clear him he has the proof he needs to collect the insurance.

As Saber said, talking is nothing new to him, so its not hard for him to pull off if this is the case.

Also, wouldn't anything he gets with a new NFL contract have to be split with his agent? He may need closer to $18-20m in NFL money so that after agents and taxes he'd walk with the same $10m he'd have from the insurance.

Rotoworld:

Jermichael Finley (neck) will undergo X-rays and an MRI in the next two weeks.
According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the test results will then be shared with interested teams. Although it's possible he'll receive good news, Finley remains without a timetable to gain full clearance.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins have "had conversations" with free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery).
Joe Philbin spent four seasons as Finley's offensive coordinator in Green Bay. The Fins "could have interest" in Finley if he receives clearance to resume his career, but "other teams have been more proactive," per beat writer Barry Jackson. Finley is undergoing X-rays and an MRI on his neck over the next week. Finley previously failed a physical during a March visit to the Seahawks.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

Free agent Jermichael Finley will undergo an X-ray on his surgically fused spine on Monday.
If the X-ray checks out, Finley will undergo an MRI/CAT scan. Per USA Today's Tom Pelissero, Finley is "on track," but it remains "unclear when he'll be cleared." The Seahawks and Dolphins have flirted with Finley, while the Jets, Chiefs, Giants, and Steelers have all been rumored to have interest. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported in late March that Finley was "at least two months" and "maybe several months more" from signing a contract.

I think they will talk about bringing him back...but between the neck injury and his attitude at times (though it has somewhat improved)...just not sure I see him wanting to take what GB will likely be offering (which won't be much)

Free agent Jermichael Finley's (neck surgery) agent, Blake Baratz, told Profootballtalk that Dr. Joseph Maroon has given the tight end full medical clearance.

Maroon, the Steelers' team neurosurgeon, is the one who operated on Finley after his injury last season. While this is good news, it's just one doctor's opinion. Finley has previously visited the Seahawks and Dolphins over the offseason, and Seattle failed him on his physical. The Packers are also said to be interested in re-signing Finley after they didn't do much to upgrade the position in free agency or the draft. Green Bay is ultra-conservative when it comes to giving clearance to players who have suffered serious neck injures. See: Collins, Nick. May 29 - 12:56 PM

Users who are viewing this thread