What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (31 Viewers)

whoknew said:
According to Schefter, the Lions are signing Mike Daniels.

Is he any good anymore? Is he still good?
He’s only 30 and was a Pro Bowler in 2017. He missed time last year with a foot injury. I assume the Lions think he’s healthy if they signed him.  Lions aren’t going to be run on by anyone this year. My worry still is that the secondary, LBs in coverage and outside pass rush might make passing against Detroit a bit too easy.

He’s only 30 and was a Pro Bowler in 2017. He missed time last year with a foot injury. I assume the Lions think he’s healthy if they signed him.  Lions aren’t going to be run on by anyone this year. My worry still is that the secondary, LBs in coverage and outside pass rush might make passing against Detroit a bit too easy.
really like this signing.  we probably have the best interior dline in the nfl. 

don't sleep on Okwara at DE, he had a nice year last year and should only get better.  I expect our defense to be bordering on top 10.  I have a hard time seeing us better than 8-8 maybe 9-7 but stranger things have happened. 

really like this signing.  we probably have the best interior dline in the nfl. 

don't sleep on Okwara at DE, he had a nice year last year and should only get better.  I expect our defense to be bordering on top 10.  I have a hard time seeing us better than 8-8 maybe 9-7 but stranger things have happened. 
The best IDL without a doubt.Flowers, Okwara and Hand will be plenty fine on the edges though we have no real athleticism there. I just hope pass coverage can hold up. 

Packers fan here and I can say the general consensus of Packers fans on the Daniels release was “what???”

scheme versatile and can get after the passer. If he is healthy, that is a great pick up. Really no risk for you guys because it’s a one year deal.

as the thread pessimist I can say I like the deal, and they added to the strength of the teams defense. Dline. Protects vs injury.

Is he only a two down guy much like Snacks? 

Theo cut 
It's a bit puzzling to me honestly. He can't run the ball but he's an incredibly effective in the short passing game. PFF said only Todd Gurley had more YAC at the RB position than Theo over the last 3 years and that's with Gurley played 1000 more snaps. I find it hard to believe the Lions didn't have a role for him this year. They must really like what they have seen from rookie Ty Johnson. 

It's a bit puzzling to me honestly. He can't run the ball but he's an incredibly effective in the short passing game. PFF said only Todd Gurley had more YAC at the RB position than Theo over the last 3 years and that's with Gurley played 1000 more snaps. I find it hard to believe the Lions didn't have a role for him this year. They must really like what they have seen from rookie Ty Johnson. 
Theo will have a job very soon. Still think he should be a full time slot guy. Has all the skills needed and played that at ND. Maybe the Pats will find room for him.

Theo was probably cut to make cap room for Daniels.I don't mind this.Defenses all ways knew the lions were passing when Riddick was in.
Based on I was reading from the  Lions reporters, Detroit had enough money to sign Daniels, keep Theo and still have $14 million of cap space available. I agree Theo was a giveaway they were passing but that was his role: be on the field when they had to pass as he was both a solider receiver and pass blocker. Also, he was used in the slot to good effect from time to time. I felt like he could play a role similar to the often injured Amendola. 

Appealing it, says he was using fertility treatment drugs without realizing it had a banned substance. Claims he notified the team, league and NFLPA. I remember he ripped Seahawks DBs for being selfish, getting themselves suspended for PEDs.

Kerryon owners will like the Theo cut, KJ is more of a 3 down back now.
He was already a 3-down back, this just jacks his price up. He stays healthy his PPR floor is around 245 (1,500 YFS, 6 TDS, 60 rec.) That’s inside the top ten. Expect his ADP to rise from RB19 to RB15, he’ll still be a good value IMO.

He was already a 3-down back, this just jacks his price up. He stays healthy his PPR floor is around 245 (1,500 YFS, 6 TDS, 60 rec.) That’s inside the top ten. Expect his ADP to rise from RB19 to RB15, he’ll still be a good value IMO.
As someone picking late in the 3rd in his main league, I hate what this is going to do to his adp 

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone picking late in the 3rd in his main league, I hate what this is going to do to his adp 
Ha! Yeah I have no shot either picking 34th (1.10 in a 12 team.) Whereas rn you can choose between Freeman, Kerryon or Aaron Jones in mocks, come late August it’ll be Drake, Jacobs or Lindsey.

Gonna to be interesting to see where Hockenson goes in redrafts. 12th-14th rounder atm, I could see him coming off around the Burton-Hooper-McDonald Tier (TE10-12), possibly higher if he has any impressive plays in PS.

My best lion adp pick as of now would be KJ at rb19. But the defense at 24 and Prater as K16 are also decent value for those who like to load up at more important positions first. That dline will disrupt just enough to create turnover prone situations.

I think Detroit is emulating a lot of what the New England Patriots are doing (and were doing in the 2017-2018 Seasons) as they transition to more of a power running team. Detroit is working on utilizing a legitimate FB, they are striving for RBs who can do multiple things on the field but also have a size aspect to them: C.J. Anderson's the shortest RB at 5'8" but listed at 220 while the 'smallest' (used loosely) RB is Ty Johnson at 5'10" 210. Zenner's a deep sleeper if injuries strike as he has the size to run inside as a backup but also some ability to be a receiving threat in a change of pace Rex Burkhead type role (25 catches between 2016 & 2018 with 10.1 YPR).

Hockenson's a dual threat, Jesse James provides a well rounded balanced TE who can be a factor as an in-line blocker, and Nauta/Thomas/Traylor represent depth who can evolve their games.

Outside of 5'8" Brandon Powell, they got a lot of size at the WR position with Golloday/Marvin Jones/Kearse all listed at 6'1"+ and 200+ pounds. Even Amendola is 5'11" 185 and has proven his mettle as a tough nosed receiver willing to get his nose dirty blocking outside.

This team has potential to be really interesting from a value perspective related to the running game but also as a possible downfield passing team.

The Detroit News likely misquoted this or its lacking context:

According to Berry, Evan Engram of the New York Giants was the only rookie to finish in the top 10 in fantasy points for tight ends. Engram accomplished the feat in 2017, which was buoyed by injuries to wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard and Brandon Marshall.”

Pretty sure the quote should have been “Since Gronk, Engram is the only rookie TE to finish top 12.” Here’s a list from last summer (e.g., does not include 2018) of every rookie TE who finished inside the Top 30 at the position.

Rookie TEs who finished TE30 or better

If he stays healthy he should be Top 15 and his RZ potentially makes him a low TE1. I’ve got three distinct tiers:

Elite - Kelce, Kittle, Ertz

Set it & forget it - Howard, Engram, Henry

The Big 3 are gonna be gone by the 25th pick. Howard & Engram should be there late 5th / early 6th. Henry is ECR TE6 but a lot of people slide Enron or Cook ahead of him.

Gonna need a TE2 also - Ebron, Cook, Njoku, McDonald

Borderline - Hooper, Burton, Rudolph, Walker

If you take one of those 8 I think you have to snag Hock in the 13th-14th. If somebody reaches maybe take Reed, Fant or Goedert.

I don’t see the Lions giving him more than 60-70 targets, and he’ll be inconsistent with a lot of dud weeks where doesn’t get a TD.

BobbyLayne said:
The Detroit News likely misquoted this or its lacking context:

According to Berry, Evan Engram of the New York Giants was the only rookie to finish in the top 10 in fantasy points for tight ends. Engram accomplished the feat in 2017, which was buoyed by injuries to wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard and Brandon Marshall.”

Pretty sure the quote should have been “Since Gronk, Engram is the only rookie TE to finish top 12.” Here’s a list from last summer (e.g., does not include 2018) of every rookie TE who finished inside the Top 30 at the position.

Rookie TEs who finished TE30 or better

If he stays healthy he should be Top 15 and his RZ potentially makes him a low TE1. I’ve got three distinct tiers:

Elite - Kelce, Kittle, Ertz

Set it & forget it - Howard, Engram, Henry

The Big 3 are gonna be gone by the 25th pick. Howard & Engram should be there late 5th / early 6th. Henry is ECR TE6 but a lot of people slide Enron or Cook ahead of him.

Gonna need a TE2 also - Ebron, Cook, Njoku, McDonald

Borderline - Hooper, Burton, Rudolph, Walker

If you take one of those 8 I think you have to snag Hock in the 13th-14th. If somebody reaches maybe take Reed, Fant or Goedert.

I don’t see the Lions giving him more than 60-70 targets, and he’ll be inconsistent with a lot of dud weeks where doesn’t get a TD.
I'd consider Mark Andrews as a late round TE target as well.

Not gonna link camp reports because 99% of them are fluff & filler, but the defense dominated Day 6 of TC. Tracy Walker is looking good & likely to start alongside Diggs. Wiggins looks like he’s the starting LG (for now.) Stafford looks like manure  - pick 6 & a lot of off target throws. Amendola is by far the best route runner. Ty Johnson is a burner and at 212 pounds not as little as you might be thinking; he did well in pass pro drills. He’ll see a lot of work in PS IMO, might be some hype as the Theo replacement.

Not gonna link camp reports because 99% of them are fluff & filler, but the defense dominated Day 6 of TC. Tracy Walker is looking good & likely to start alongside Diggs. Wiggins looks like he’s the starting LG (for now.) Stafford looks like manure  - pick 6 & a lot of off target throws. Amendola is by far the best route runner. Ty Johnson is a burner and at 212 pounds not as little as you might be thinking; he did well in pass pro drills. He’ll see a lot of work in PS IMO, might be some hype as the Theo replacement.
Also read a lot of stuff about Kerryon looking like garbage in pass pro

Also read a lot of stuff about Kerryon looking like garbage in pass pro
Two days in a row he’s struggled with the one on one blocking RB v LB drill. It’s an evaluation that heavily favors the D but Ty Johnson has been looking decent. Hence the thought he’ll be ready to take over the Theo role.

Conversely, in the RB v LB pass route drills Kerryon has been decleating people. But if he’s gotta do better in pass pro.

Well at one time the Lions did play their games in Tiger Stadium.
Aye, but they were never NFL Champions when it was called that (1961-99.)

They won the 1935 NFL Championship at the U of D Stadium. The Tigers had won their first World Series a few months before, and in April, 1936 the Red Wings won their first Stanley Cup. Detroit was called The City of Champions.

The 1952,1953 and 1957 NFL Championships came about when it was called Briggs Stadium (1938-1960), and the latter two were played at home.

22,496 days Or 61 years, 7 months, 4 days Or 739 months, 4 days ago.

Stafford had another bad day at TC, he’s looked terrible this week. Amendola probably ain’t done yet, he got behind Agnew, who is faster than Slay. Jermaine Kearse and rookie Travis have been early standouts for the two backups - they’ll probably keep 5 on the 53-man - so Brandon Powell might be on the bubble.

Hock opened up practice winning three straight 1-on-1s with DBs. Not sure how many targets he’ll get, James is also having a very good TC, but that kid is a stud.

Stafford had another bad day at TC, he’s looked terrible this week. Amendola probably ain’t done yet, he got behind Agnew, who is faster than Slay. Jermaine Kearse and rookie Travis have been early standouts for the two backups - they’ll probably keep 5 on the 53-man - so Brandon Powell might be on the bubble.

Hock opened up practice winning three straight 1-on-1s with DBs. Not sure how many targets he’ll get, James is also having a very good TC, but that kid is a stud.

Do you think there is any chance Hock makes a fantasy impact this year? It sure seems like he is getting fed a lot with the first team. 

Do you think there is any chance Hock makes a fantasy impact this year? It sure seems like he is getting fed a lot with the first team. 
My opinion is KJ, CJ, and the kicker are the 3 best values on this team. Run first offense with the passes being spread around a bunch of people.

Leroy Hoard said:
My opinion is KJ, CJ, and the kicker are the 3 best values on this team. Run first offense with the passes being spread around a bunch of people.
For sure- the thing with Hock tho is he is going so late and the threshold for a TE being viable is so low. 

Draft Hock is if you think he’ll blow up early & want to save the FABB. If you’re spending draft capital early, Kittle has an early bye, the other two studs are late. I’ve been trying to grab Howard or Henry around the 58/63 (5/6) turn and sometimes take Hock at 154/159 (13/14) if he’s around, but if he creeps up to where I have to take him at 130/135 (11/12) I’ll probably pass. 

James is gonna take a lot of snaps and some targets. We’ll see how it plays out but I expect he’ll be inconsistent with not much market share. I don’t think he’s a generational talent but he’s def a very good all around TE. 

Realistically how many targets will he see in 2019? Rookie targets:

Kelce 87* (second year - not a good comp IMO)

Kittle 63

Ertz 56

Howard 39

Ebron 49

Njoku 60

Gronkowski 59 (ten TDS!)

I think 60 is probably about right, 70 would be amazing. If we give him a great percentages because he’s special, maybe

42-49 catches 

450-600 yards 

4-6 TDs 

Like I said, 13th-16th round, why not. If I have to take him where it might mean passing on Eckler as my RB4 or MVS as my WR5 or Lamar Jackson as my cheat code backup, I’m less inclined. YMMV

I know how much all football fans love fullback news from the Detroit News.

"Here are some notes and observations from the Monday's joint practice between the Detroit Lions and New England Patriots. 

► It might seem like a strange item to lead with, given the spectacle of the joint practices with the defending champs, but second-year fullback Nick Bawden continues to open eyes with his potential, not just as a blocker, but also a pass catcher. 

Bawden has shown good quickness out of the backfield and linebackers have struggled to stick with him on routes, even in one-on-one drills. That success has carried over into team portions, especially red-zone work."

Someone really needs to run up and steal that pointy pencil out of Mattys stupid ear.
Smartest man in the room. That’s presuming Bob Quinn is somewhere else, since he’s already done his once a year presser.

The whole league is being transformed by Mike Leach disciples & QBs who ran the air raid in college. We’re building a team Bill Parcells would be proud of.

Users who are viewing this thread