What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (29 Viewers)

Good email Q&A column from Kyle Meinke:

Q: I happen to have both Andrew Luck and Matthew Stafford on my fantasy team, which this week feels like a difficult choice. Who has a better day Sunday? -- Ryan J. Smith

A: I'll be up front with you. I don't play fantasy football. I know that a lot of other reporters do -- most, I believe, actually -- but I find I just don't have the bandwidth to deal with fantasy stuff when I have 1,734 other things going on this time of year. 

Having said that, I'd absolutely start Stafford over Luck. No question. I think Luck is actually in for a long day. He's got three guys on that offensive line who have never played their current positions as a pro. He's got a banged up guard in Jack Mewhort. He's got a rookie centerin Ryan Kelly. And Kelly is going up against Haloti Ngata and Tyrunn Walker, who are experienced and talented enough to turn those mistakes into a busted pocket.

And that's saying nothing of Ezekiel Ansah, who dropped more quarterbacks than everyone not named J.J. Watt or Khalil Mack last year. He's gotten better every year in the league, which has me wondering these days, what's he capable of this year? 

Detroit's front seven is its strength. The Colts' offensive line is inexperienced and banged up. I see this as a massive advantage for the Lions, and expect aggressive defensive coordinator Teryl Austin to carpet bomb Luck as much as he can. 

Stafford, conversely, has it the other way. His offense is at full strength, while Indy is down a starting corner (Vontae Davis), safety (Clayton Geathers) and linebacker (Sio Moore), plus a couple reserves. And they sucked defensively to begin with. As long as Detroit's offensive line holds up, I think Stafford has a monster debut while targeting the likes of Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Theo Riddick and Eric Ebron.

Q: Who's the weakest starter and who's the strongest non-starter? -- Adin Kram

A: Interesting question. I guess it kind of depends how you define "weakest." Are you talking the worst starter? Because I'd probably go with center Travis Swanson. Or are you talking about the starter who carries the most risk of losing his job? Because then I'd probably say strong safety Tavon Wilson, who has never been a full-time starter and didn't overtake Rafael Bush for the gig until the penultimate preseason game. Plus, Bush has done it before. So if Wilson struggles at all, he could get the quick hook.

As for the best non-starter, no doubt it has to be Theo Riddick. He caught 80 passes out of the backfield last season, which set a club record for a tailback and tied Danny Woodhead for the league lead at the position. And the Lions just inked him to a three-year extension worth $12.75 million, which places him 13th on the highest-paid tailbacks list. That tells you just how much they think he'll play in Jim Bob Cooter's offense. 

Q: Is there any reason to be optimistic that the Lions can run the ball this year? -- @lstats810

A: Long answer: Sure. Ameer Abdullah is good, and no longer a rookie. Dwayne Washington seems promising. The run blocking seemed to improve as training camp wore on. But I'm still skeptical, especially about the line. And if those guys aren't any good, then it won't matter all that much how good Abdullah is. I think the rushing attack still finishes outside the top 20, to be honest.

Short answer:

Bill Clinton: It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is

Q: What stadium are you looking forward to visit? -- Ferdinand

A: The only joint on this year's schedule that I haven't hit is NRG Stadium in Houston. So I guess that one, because I always like seeing new stuff. But Jerry World is just a spectacle unto itself -- plus, the food is the bomb -- so I'm on board with returning there. Though it does come over Christmas. Sorry, Mom.

As for cities, though, New Orleans is one of my favorites in this fair country of ours. People always talk about New York and L.A. and San Francisco and Miami, when they're talking about great U.S. cities. But damn it, New Orleans is just delightful. The music, the food, the drink, the party. It's got a bit of everything, including some pretty cool history and the nicest people. I'll have a beignet for y'all.

Better make that two. 

Q: Evaluate the o-line. We invested top 3 picks in all 5 starters moving left to right across the line. Should be dominate, why not? -- Colin McNutt

A: I've written this before, and I'll do it again. I believe there were a lot of issues plaguing the line in recent years, but one of them certainly was the scheme. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single guy in that room who actually believed in what Joe Lombardi was doing up front. I've heard stories. They're not good.

So, overhauling the scheme up front is a big, natural step in the right direction. That process began last year, and I give Jim Bob Cooter a ton of credit for the small, but meaningful changes he made to get better results almost immediately out of that group. For example, Matthew Stafford was hit 64 times in the first half of the season, and 41 times in the second half. That's a 35.9 percent decline.

Which is huge, for a quarterback who completed 75.2 percent of his passes when he was clean last year, and 48.3 percent when he was pressured. 

And although the running game finished last in the league, I saw itty-bitty steps in the right direction there too. Ameer Abdullah, for example, averaged 4.8 yards per carry in the final seven games of the season. Part of that was his own natural rookie development, of course, but I thought there were more rushing lanes too. And you'd expect them to take another step forward after they had a full offseason to make the wholesale changes they could not mid-season last year. 

But having said all that, I still wonder if there is a talent issue at a couple of those positions. Travis Swanson was awful last year, and I've seen only modest improvements from him so far this year. Laken Tomlinson was OK last year, and I'm not sure if he's looked any better at all this year. Those are the weak links, and figuring out how to get more out of those guys, or at least scheming to hide their weaknesses, is important.

Riley Reiff has looked good at right tackle, Taylor Decker is improving rapidly at left tackle, and Larry Warford is starting to look like his old self at right guard. Those are the strengths of the line at this point.

Q: In four words, how do you feel about Colin Kaepernick, Trump, cats and crossfit? -- Justin Rogers

A: Nobody likes you, Benedict. 

Q: Can I still ask if Ebron is a bust? :)  -- Porbandar123

A: Sure. But you'll get my stock response too. He struggled as a rookie, no doubt, and so much of it was his own doing. He was immature, and he'd be the first guy to tell you that. (If he would talk to you, which in my experience, has been hit and miss.)

But here's how I like to think about it. He was the top tight end of his draft class, right? So let's take the top tight ends from the 10 years before his selection in 2013, average their production by year, and figure out an expectation for the position.

If you do that, his Year 1 production was slightly off pace. He had 25 catches for 248 yards and one touchdown, while the sample pool averaged 33.2 catches for 356.8 yards and 2.9 touchdowns.

Then in Year 2, Ebron about doubled his production to 47 catches for 537 yards and five touchdowns. That actually surpassed the sample pool, which averaged 45.4 catches for 480.8 yards and 4.1 touchdowns.

So the bottom line is this: I understand the Ebron hate, I do. He was taken before Odell Beckham and Aaron Donald and a bunch of guys who have blown up. He was taken too early, I get it. But none of that is on him. If you want to hate the pick, OK, but hate Martin Mayhew for it. Because Ebron is progressing right on schedule for the No. 1 tight end taken in a draft. What more could you ask of him?

Since Ebron is progressing at the average rate of our No. 1 tight ends, you might be curious to know what that sample pool did in Year 3. Those averages: 51.4 catches for 592.8 yards and 5.8 touchdowns. So that's where I'm setting the bar for Ebron this year.

Q: What kind of start would it take for you to get aboard a Lions bandwagon? -- Mike Hodges

A: A 3-1 start would be a Theo-Riddick-in-the-open-field step in the right direction. Indy is a should-win game, in my opinion, given the injury picture. I know the tendency this time of year is to pick apart the team you've followed all offseason, but the Colts are in rough shape. Detroit should win this game, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And the same goes for next week in the home opener against Tennessee. So do that, earn a split in the Green Bay/Chicago road swing, and you've set yourself up for contention.

But more than the record, I'm looking for progress from the offensive line. Teams lose games they shouldn't sometimes, and are able to bounce back. The Lions could go 2-2, for example, but if I see good things out of the offensive line, especially Taylor Decker, I'll feel much better about their chances to make a push. Because I think the defense is good enough to carry the team, and Matthew Stafford will put up points if he's given the time. It's just a matter of having the time.

Stafford was 17-19 in the second half today.

How cool was he on that last drive?

You KNOW the first pass is going to Theo & you know he's gonna give that dead leg juke & you can't touch him. 19 yard timeout #1

9 yard to Ebron timeout #2

Marvin Jones catch n run 22 yards (GET OUT OF BOUNDS!!) timeout #3

Incomplete

Game winner by Prater

I'll take an ugly win any week

Theo & AA were awesome

#undefeated

I had to check the box score this morning to make sure the NFL did not overturn the results.  I was thinking maybe Prater did not complete the process of making a FG.  

The Colts D was so decimated with injuries, you knew they were going to drive down the field at the end.  The D line got no pass rush and the o line couldn't protect.  Lots of things to clean up if they want to beat a good team.  Running backs looked really promising though. 

The skill players on offense were really impressive the entire game. I think it was a little bit of the Colts defense being decimated, but they still have to make the plays. I liked Stafford's leadership on that last drive. He was looking scary when yelling at both Ebron and Marvin to get out of bounds. 

I have to admit I haven't been an Ebron fan but that was the best game I've seen him play. I'd like to see him string a few together but I finally have a bit of optimism.

The last time I felt Stafford had real control of the team as much as he did in this game was the much-heralded Cleveland game from years ago. Real leadership backed up by great play and decision making. Kudos there too.

Outside of the point-after miss I felt the Special Teams played really well.

The defense played well in the first half and then got gassed in the second. That's an elite passing team and Levy's first game back so I'll give them a pass. However, Whitehead had an atrocious game in coverage.

Many times I said here we go SOL but they fought it off. Good win.

Last edited by a moderator:
jon_mx said:
I had to check the box score this morning to make sure the NFL did not overturn the results.  I was thinking maybe Prater did not complete the process of making a FG.  
I do like that they gave them that last second safety on the most entertaining play of the game. Every point counts.

When the kicker missed that extra point I said damn it Lions always seem t find a way to lose.

Except this time they didn't. 

I thought the defense looked pretty good until they figured out that Whitehead cannot cover.

When the kicker missed that extra point I said damn it Lions always seem t find a way to lose.

Except this time they didn't. 

I thought the defense looked pretty good until they figured out that Whitehead cannot cover.
I was staring him down on every TE reception/TD and I kept seeing him peering into the pocket as if he were shadowing Luck for some unknown reason. Meanwhile, Usain Doyle and Carl Lewis Allen were blazing right by him. It was simply the worst display of LB coverage I've ever seen.

I was staring him down on every TE reception/TD and I kept seeing him peering into the pocket as if he were shadowing Luck for some unknown reason. Meanwhile, Usain Doyle and Carl Lewis Allen were blazing right by him. It was simply the worst display of LB coverage I've ever seen.
I liked the rest of the defense. The TE touchdowns were too easy though. I think that is at least in part the scheme and play call.

Frustrating to watch though.

I liked the rest of the defense. The TE touchdowns were too easy though. I think that is at least in part the scheme and play call.

Frustrating to watch though.
That Kerry Herder cat is no joke. Surprising power and quicks from that frame. I think the pass rush slowed considerably though as the game wore on which hung the secondary out to dry on those lengthy crossing routes. The rush D did what I would expect against that atrocious OL and old man Gore. The real test will come this week against Murray/Henry.

Out of all the things in that game my only real complaint was the scheme didn't change with the game.

The beginning of the game the INDY secondary wasn't in great shape, Detroit played pretty even on types of offensive plays, pretty good.

But as the game went on that INDY secondary was decimated, the Lions didn't change there game plan At All Though, no shots down field.

I understand they won, and they played efficient, no turnovers even..

That game "could" have been put away though with some large plays down field in the 2nd half. (did not like seeing INDY keep up in that)

------

Just saying that you have to change as the game dictates, and you need to take some shots, and keep the other defense back at least some.

I'll take the win, on the road, opening day, I'll take it,

But I'd still like to see that offense open up a bit and go downfield some. (hopefully as the season and offense progresses we'll see it)

The team might be mediocre, but Kyle Meinke has evolved into one of the best beat writers around IMO.

Ask Kyle: On expectations for Dwayne Washington, what to do with Laken Tomlinson

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions travel to Lambeau Field on Sunday to face the Green Bay Packers. And they'll do so extremely short-handed.

They'll be counting on a bunch of backups to help them try to win a second straight game in cheese country. Guys like rookie tailback Dwayne Washington. This week's mailbag delves into the expectations for Washington, fellow rookie Miles Killebrew, and a host of other topics.

Thanks, as always, to everyone who participated -- and a special thanks to @hottdudes on Twitter for inspiring the theme of this week's 'bag. 

Q: If this Lions' season were a Nicolas Cage movie, which Nicolas Cage movie would it be? -- @hottdudes

A: It's gotta be "Leaving Las Vegas," right? Because of all the drinking required to get through it? Although I'd also accept "Lord Of War" because of all the death and destruction and, you know, injuries of all kinds.

Q: Dwayne Washington is our leading rusher tomorrow...by a lot. Buying or selling? -- Bruce Walker

A: It's possible, but if I were a betting man (I'm not, mom, I promise), my money would be on Theo Riddick. He's going to get the start, and the bulk of Detroit's carries. Washington will be involved, no question, and I think he'll get some looks in the red zone, particularly at the goal line. He is definitely Detroit's short-yardage back right now.

But we're talking overall rushing leader, and I think there's a lot to like about Riddick 4.0. I mean, this guy already has the second-most rushing yardage of his career. With 52 yards against Green Bay, he'll set a new high. And he's done it while working as the No. 2 rusher behind Abdullah.

Now that Abdullah is out for at least two months while recovering from foot surgery, Riddick is going to be the back Detroit leans on most. He's always been an elusive kind of guy, but the Lions really worked on the mental components of the position with him this offseason. He's seeing the field better now, making quicker decisions and we're all seeing the results.

I'm reminded of that Week 1 carry where he tried to work left, almost immediately started his cutback after getting the handoff, and then found himself in a rushing lane with only one man to beat in a phone booth. (Of course, he beat him.) I asked Riddick offhand in the locker room the other day whether he actually anticipated that lane being there, or if he just got lucky. "I knew it was there," he said. And gave me a wink.

Yeah. He's feeling it.

Q: Is there a player that has been performing well so far but hasn't gotten a lot of attention? -- Kenneth Gabbert

A: I'm not sure how many people have noticed or not, but I'm highly surprised by what I've seen out of center Travis Swanson. If there's a more improved player from last year to this year, I've not seen it. He's gone from probably the club's worst starter in 2015 to, hey presto, pretty solid through two weeks.

Swanson ranked 33rd among centers last year according to ProFootballFocus. He's fifth right now. I know some people put more stock in PFF than others, but no matter how you cut it, that's huge improvement. He hasn't even allowed a sack this season. Hell, he didn't allow so much as a pressure last week.

I asked Theo Riddick this week why the running game has had so much luck this year, and he answered almost before I finished: "O-line." There have been better guys up front -- Riley Reiff and Larry Warford are smashing faces on the right side right now -- but fortifying the leaks from the middle has been huge as well.

One other guy who has gone under the radar is Tavon Wilson. He won the starting strong safety job at the end of training camp, and after splitting duties with Rafael Bush in Week 1, played almost all last week and looked like one of Detroit's better defensive players. He covered a lot of ground and laid a couple big hits.

Q: How long before Joe Dahl replaces Laken Tomlinson? Very disappointing -- Jam Hatter

A: Tomlinson has been disappointing, from multiple perspectives. He's a first-round pick who is Detroit's worst offensive lineman right now. That's not good. And he doesn't look any better than last year. That's not good either. And he's allowed two of Detroit's five sacks, which is decidedly bad. Especially from a guard.

Tomlinson's footwork looks like the biggest issue to me. I'm no expert when it comes to offensive line play, but you don't have to be when a guy's that slow. His feet also seem to be too close together sometimes, which throws off his balance and he gets tossed aside too easily. Snap to snap he looks OK, but he makes enough of these glaring mistakes to stand out in a bad way.

But here's the thing: Bench him, and what's the alternative? Rookie fifth-round pick Joe Dahl, the top reserve, doesn't look ready to me. I loved what I saw out of him during training camp, and wrote as much, but he still looks like a work in progress. Which is understandable, for a guy who is making the transition from left tackle in college to guard in the pros.

Just consider the preseason, when he was beat pretty bad a couple times. And that was working against backups. 

Who knows, we don't see much of practice these days, maybe he's made remarkable improvements over the last couple weeks. But short of that, I think Tomlinson is Detroit's man at left guard for better or worse. Unless they acquire a veteran, which could become a possibility if Tomlinson's struggles protract.

Q: What is going on with Golden Tate? He is dropping a lot of balls early this year. Am I wrong to say he has more drops this year than Ebron? -- Jam Hatter

A: Drops are a bit subjective, so the stats range depending on your source. Sporting Charts, for example, does a nice job with the stat, but doesn't charge Golden Tate with any drops this year. And anyone watching last week would think he has at least two. Tate would tell you that too. Those balls along the sideline were difficult, but he got two mitts on both of them, and he has to haul them in.

Ebron, conversely, doesn't have any drops no matter who you consult. He's snagging everything right now, even when he only gets one hand on the ball. Seriously, I still don't know how he caught that last ball against Tennessee. If the Lions would have won that game, we'd be talking about that as one of the great plays of the season.

To your point about Tate, though, you're right. Something's off. He's normally among the surest-handed receivers in the league -- he was literally No. 1 in drop rate when he signed here -- but struggled throughout the offseason and is putting balls on the ground two games in. He hasn't been his usual productive self, either. He has nine catches, which is second on the team, but just 54 yards, which is sixth. His 6.0 yards per catch ranks 143rd in the league. 

The Lions are getting him the ball on a lot of short passes and trying to give him clearouts to make the YAC happen, but it's just not working out right now. It'll be interesting to see how Detroit adjusts, because for this offense to hum, he needs to be more involved.

Q: What's the overall mood in the locker room right now? As the drops,  coverage errors , penalties, missed opportunities, and injuries mount, do the Lions seem like a cohesive team?  -- Graying Lion

A: I'll start by saying this team still seems close-knit to me. I think players believe they have a lot of talent in that room, and if they can figure out how to curb the self-inflicted idiocy, they'll win games. Look around the NFC North. Chicago and Minnesota have as many issues as Detroit, if not more, and up in Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers has not looked like, you know, Aaron Rodgers. Players have a way of taking the long view on things, and that's what they're doing here. So no, I don't sense any fracturing whatsoever at this point.

But having said that, players do understand they are not playing well. The mood and activity in the locker room has become noticeably more dour this week. Some guys will play cards or what-have-you, but I haven't seen anyone chilling out playing table tennis or corn hole or whatever else they typically do when the vibes are good. I haven't seen as many players in general, period. 

You would expect that kind of shift in mood when things aren't going right. The key is for them to make it constructive. And while it's premature whether to say they've been able to do that, I don't get the sense that it's been destructive.

Q: Belichick is good at exploiting different aspects of a player's abilities. Chance of Killebrew playing LB? -- Michael Garrett

A: Keep in mind, Jim Caldwell, not Bob Quinn, is in charge of schemes and game-day strategies. But, sure, it's possible. Caldwell was asked on Friday about this very idea, and he correctly noted that when the Lions have five defensive backs on the field, one of them is a de facto linebacker anway. So that's a role Killebrew, a fourth-round pick, could play.

But I wouldn't expect him to play the position much more than that unless the situation becomes truly dire. Detroit views him as a safety, not a linebacker.

Q: Are you scared to ask jim caldwell injury questions now ? -- Charles

A: No. It's my job to ask, and his job to say whatever he wants, or nothing at all. That's the game. (But that doesn't mean I have to like it, either.)

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/09/ask_kyle_dwayne_washington_lio.html#incart_river_index

Very interetsed how the lions respond this week in gb. Im expecting same old lions. Gb def is banged up. No levy no ziggy either. Im expected a rodgers bloodbath but something isnt right with him right now

The Lions were clearly the superior team against Tennessee but they gave the refs an opportunity to take it all away. Dumb football. You just never see the better coached teams do things like that. Caldwell punting on 4 down and 3 from about the 39 yard line is just another example as to how the game speeds up too quickly for him at times. It's not like you have an elite defense. What makes you think taking the ball out of your offense's hands where you have a decided advantage is going to help  you win that game?  :no:  Playing not to lose makes you a loser.

Now we are completely depleted going against GB who is also banged up but at home and Rodgers is getting called out to some degree. This is a classic opposition righting the ship game. I think we get pounded.

GB 34 Detroit 21

The Lions were clearly the superior team against Tennessee but they gave the refs an opportunity to take it all away. Dumb football. You just never see the better coached teams do things like that. Caldwell punting on 4 down and 3 from about the 39 yard line is just another example as to how the game speeds up too quickly for him at times. It's not like you have an elite defense. What makes you think taking the ball out of your offense's hands where you have a decided advantage is going to help  you win that game?  :no:  Playing not to lose makes you a loser.

Now we are completely depleted going against GB who is also banged up but at home and Rodgers is getting called out to some degree. This is a classic opposition righting the ship game. I think we get pounded.

GB 34 Detroit 21
Three TDs and five first downs wiped out by penalties last week. Plus they had something like seven starters leave because of injury. Weird game, but one they absolutely had to win. It doesn't get any easier than Tennessee at home. The boos were well deserved.

We've played the Pack really well the last two season. Hard to count on that continuing today. Need a miraculous performance, like Hyder getting four sacks or Dwayne Washington taking a couple long ones to the house. Straight up, I don't think they can stop the GB offense. Until they cut Dobson and promoted a guy off the practice squad they only had 3 heathy linebackers. You're going to see a rookie safety (Killebrew) who has zero defensive snaps this year playing linebacker today.

But I'm optimistic. Why wouldn't I be? This is my 50th season following this team. We've seen worse. :lol:

Three TDs and five first downs wiped out by penalties last week. Plus they had something like seven starters leave because of injury. Weird game, but one they absolutely had to win. It doesn't get any easier than Tennessee at home. The boos were well deserved.

We've played the Pack really well the last two season. Hard to count on that continuing today. Need a miraculous performance, like Hyder getting four sacks or Dwayne Washington taking a couple long ones to the house. Straight up, I don't think they can stop the GB offense. Until they cut Dobson and promoted a guy off the practice squad they only had 3 heathy linebackers. You're going to see a rookie safety (Killebrew) who has zero defensive snaps this year playing linebacker today.

But I'm optimistic. Why wouldn't I be? This is my 50th season following this team. We've seen worse. :lol:
Boy have we ever. We used to lose because we were just an inferior team. We are now good enough to beat ourselves.

Who knows what the hell will happen today. Feared the worst earlier in week with our D depleted, but now it seems theirs is as well. 

Stafford has been almost impeccable through the first two games. Entirely let down by his team last week. 

This could be shootout and a half. 

So my first season being a Lions fan, Lem Barney had a pick six against Bart Starr in like his second play in the NFL. He won the Defensive Rookie of the Year, HB Mel Farr was the Offensive Rookie of the Year. The next year they drafted Greg Landry, Earl McCullouch and Charlie Sanders. Those teams weren't very good but they were fun to watch.

In the off season they all had jobs because the NFL wasn't really that lucrative. Every winter they put together a barnstorming basketball team - it started back in the 40s and continued through the early 70s - and they always visited my hometown to play against the alumni. Sanders was always their leading scorer but a lot of the stars like Alex Karras, Herb Orvis and Altie Taylor played on the team. Can you even imagine the liability in today's NFL? They wouldn't let them play one game. There was always a lot of clowning around and showmanship, then they'd get serious and play it straight in the fourth quarter. One year Wayne Rasmussen (DB) pulled me out of the front row of the stands to shoot a free throw. I missed from 15' so they had me shoot another from the bottom of the dotted line (I was about 7 or 8) - banked it in. And when the Lions won by one point, I went home thinking I was the difference.

:lol:

Who knows what the hell will happen today. Feared the worst earlier in week with our D depleted, but now it seems theirs is as well. 

Stafford has been almost impeccable through the first two games. Entirely let down by his team last week. 

This could be shootout and a half. 
And yet matty blue skies threw the pick to end the game

Almost impeccable. Every QB throws picks. If it wasn't for penalties and drops the game would have been well out of sight. Can't expect him to win it in the dying minutes every game. For me, when you've only got one drive left to win the game, a pick becomes an even bigger possibility and a little more understandable. 

Who else thinks the unthinkable is inevitable?

They've won the last 6 games in the series.

Their longest win streak in the 86 years of the series is 6 games (1968-70.)

They are facing a backup QB & decimated defense.

The Bears are a consensus worst 3 team.

The Bears may be THE worst NFL team.

They cannot lose this game.

Right? Right??

That would be some vintage SOL right there.

Or maybe it will be the Dwayne Swaggy Washington coming out party?

BobbyLayne said:
Who else thinks the unthinkable is inevitable?

They've won the last 6 games in the series.

Their longest win streak in the 86 years of the series is 6 games (1968-70.)

They are facing a backup QB & decimated defense.

The Bears are a consensus worst 3 team.

The Bears may be THE worst NFL team.

They cannot lose this game.

Right? Right??

That would be some vintage SOL right there.

Or maybe it will be the Dwayne Swaggy Washington coming out party?
I think the all of the above could happen including Swaggy's coming out party. People were talking about the Lions in the suicide pool discussion. I was  :lmao:  Divisional games are no joke. Throw out the records and perception. Just ask Arizona & Seattle about the inferior St.Louis/LA Rams the last 2 years.

The omens portend a true classic Lions match. All the signs point to a win, but we all know what happens when that's the case. 

No doubt one of Jordan Howard or a sellotaped together Alshon will go nuts 

1-3. Predictably losing to the undermanned and pathetic Bears team. Caldwell's seat just went from hot to engulfed in flames. He's not Quinn's guy. Could he be gone on Monday? 

1-3. Predictably losing to the undermanned and pathetic Bears team. Caldwell's seat just went from hot to engulfed in flames. He's not Quinn's guy. Could he be gone on Monday? 
Might as well wait until the (likely embarrassing) loss to the Eagles at home, but his days better be numbered. Next three games after that aren't that intimidating, but I couldn't count on them to beat a winless college team at this point. Something's gotta change.

302 yards for Brian Hoyer

The Lions are DFL in turnovers generated (1)

Started out 0-5/1-7 a year ago

Consistently under prepared   

Bottom three NFL team right now under Caldwell
Takent wise maybe 15th-20th but let's get going on this house cleaning

I think the all of the above could happen including Swaggy's coming out party. People were talking about the Lions in the suicide pool discussion. I was  :lmao:  Divisional games are no joke. Throw out the records and perception. Just ask Arizona & Seattle about the inferior St.Louis/LA Rams the last 2 years.
Worst...coming...out...party....EVER!  Way to blow the opportunity.

Caldwells days were always going to be numbered unless he made playoffs minimum this season. Didn't think we'd be 1-3 though and the situation reaching a crescendo so quickly. 

Our true hope of success is under a new head coach that is Quinn's man. Most likely Patricia. Whether we wait it out until the end of the season remains to be seen. 

This is the Lions we're talking about, that might be a prerequisite on their hirings. I don't think anyone has been an NFL head coach ever again after being hired/fired by the Lions.
This is true. And Caldwell will be the next in a long list. It was a weird week with teams like the Cards and Pats also losing. Divisional games are always tough no matter the records. But Caldwell is not taking this team anywhere. 

Why do u keep bringing this guy up? I doubt hes hc material
Because I think Quinn will hire his guy in the off-season and he's a natural choice given his Pats connection.

He's been a popular speculative candidate the last two off-seasons.

I like that he hasn't bounced around chasing jobs. He turned down a FT gig coming out of school to be an unpaid assistant at Syracuse, landed a job there the next spring, and then Darth lured him to the dark side in 2004. He was a center and spent 6 years coaching the offensive side before moving across the LOS. NE has been a consistently top 8 defense (top 2 in takeaways) his entire time there. 

Why do you doubt he's HC material? 

Please wait till after the Eagles game.  They've been studying Caldwell for a week now, and teams have a tendency to come out strong the week after a firing.

This is the Lions we're talking about, that might be a prerequisite on their hirings. I don't think anyone has been an NFL head coach ever again after being hired/fired by the Lions.
Caldwell would have never been hired as a HC by any other NFL team other than the Lions.  The ravens were going to fire him as OC.

Caldwell would have never been hired as a HC by any other NFL team other than the Lions.  The ravens were going to fire him as OC.
Wrong-headed deciveness was a hallmark of the Mayhew regime. Might be as wrong as the day is long but he was always cocksure about his plan. Won't ever forget him going to straight to the podium when they went on the clock in 2014. Every other team uses their full allotment for discussion, allow for trades, maybe go through the list once more (OBJ, A Donald) - nope, Ebron is our man.

Speaking of which, he admitted he quit on the Theo run, didn't take the excuse offered maybe he heard a whistle. 

BobbyLayne said:
Wrong-headed deciveness was a hallmark of the Mayhew regime. Might be as wrong as the day is long but he was always cocksure about his plan. Won't ever forget him going to straight to the podium when they went on the clock in 2014. Every other team uses their full allotment for discussion, allow for trades, maybe go through the list once more (OBJ, A Donald) - nope, Ebron is our man.

Speaking of which, he admitted he quit on the Theo run, didn't take the excuse offered maybe he heard a whistle. 
Ebron has some skills but is a losing type of player.  Ebron is very soft..have never seen him break a tackle,,Can`t block at all and make ways too many mental mistakes.  Give me a tough gritty TE that can block a lot and catch a little.

Because I think Quinn will hire his guy in the off-season and he's a natural choice given his Pats connection.

He's been a popular speculative candidate the last two off-seasons.

I like that he hasn't bounced around chasing jobs. He turned down a FT gig coming out of school to be an unpaid assistant at Syracuse, landed a job there the next spring, and then Darth lured him to the dark side in 2004. He was a center and spent 6 years coaching the offensive side before moving across the LOS. NE has been a consistently top 8 defense (top 2 in takeaways) his entire time there. 

Why do you doubt he's HC material? 
I just dont like the bb tree at all. Mcdaniels. Crennel. Weiss. Schwartz. Not sure if you give him credit for saban or not.  

BobbyLayne said:

I think if the Lions had selected OBJ instead of Ebron, Caldwell would still be on the hot seat. Probably even more so. OBJ couldn't even save Coughlin.

I am not saying the Lions made the right decision in drafting Ebron, but I can at least see why they may have passed on Donald (who I think was the best option) because at the time they had Suh and Fairley, both 1st round DT picks. They have since let both players walk however, I guess they didn't know they were going to do that at the time?

As far as passing on Beckham, they did have Calvin Johnson at the time, but he has since retired.

I do think it was because of Lombardi and moving towards an offense similar to what the Saints had been doing as why they selected Ebron.

Good front offices make moves with the future i mind. If they had picked Donald when they already had Suh and Fairley, I think they could have still used them all in rotation, even possibly use Donald as a DE. They likely would have been questioned for that move, but over time it would have made a lot of sense, especially if they later decided to let Suh walk (which they did).

They certainly play enough WR that Calvin and Beckham would have made a great tandem. I cannot really explain that one. They would have had insurance and depth when Calvin retired even if they had no idea he was going to do so.

The only thing that makes sense is that they wanted Ebron to become their Jimmy Graham.

Users who are viewing this thread