What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Dickies said:
Worm said:
Dickies said:
Worm said:
I need to get back into this. Since having kids I have all but given it up. Granted, having no good courses within 45 minutes of me is also a major factor. Even when I played regularly, I don't think I ever threw 300+ feet consistently.

My favorite discs are the Buzzz, Gazelle and this incredibly beat up Beast that I use exclusively to tomahawk. I absolutely HATE all those super fast discs and have no idea what the use for them is. The people that I see on the course that are much better than I am drive with discs such as the Roc or Valkyrie and it seems to be plenty
How old are your kids?Kids are one of the reasons why I play DG instead of ball golf or other activities. I can take my kids out in the woods and hang out with them while I play. No cost, and it doesn't take 4-5 hours of my day.
Mine are 3 (twins), I still feel it's a bit young. The nearest 9-hole worth playing is 45 minutes away and it's got a lot of hills and poison oak. I take them with me when I go to Tahoe, but even then it can be a lot of walking and they get tired out.
Gotcha. Yeah, my youngest (also twins) are 4. They are just getting to the point where they can handle 18 holes on a real course (though not during the hot summer). You've got a lot to look forward to though. My two oldest (6/9) love to go with me.
Cool. Honestly my biggest problem is that the driving distance to the nearest course is obscene. I have a 9-hole in town, but the holes are all super short, there are no obstacles, and it tends to get windy. I just don't find it fun. To play the closest course it is about 45 minutes drive. It's a nice 9-hole course that has a bunch of variety. Other than that it is either drive roughly an hour depending on traffic to San Jose or San Francisco. This means I need to devote an entire day to playing when I figure I have 2 hours of drive time. If I'm driving two hours I don't want to play for 30 minutes and turn around.My in-laws are in Tahoe so that is where i play the most and I do take the kids with me. It's laid back, they can hunt for pine cones, and maybe toss a disc or two. The drive time is 5-10 minutes so if the kids are getting disinterested I don't feel bad about leaving.
Where do you live?

Dickies said:
Worm said:
Dickies said:
Worm said:
I need to get back into this. Since having kids I have all but given it up. Granted, having no good courses within 45 minutes of me is also a major factor. Even when I played regularly, I don't think I ever threw 300+ feet consistently.

My favorite discs are the Buzzz, Gazelle and this incredibly beat up Beast that I use exclusively to tomahawk. I absolutely HATE all those super fast discs and have no idea what the use for them is. The people that I see on the course that are much better than I am drive with discs such as the Roc or Valkyrie and it seems to be plenty
How old are your kids?Kids are one of the reasons why I play DG instead of ball golf or other activities. I can take my kids out in the woods and hang out with them while I play. No cost, and it doesn't take 4-5 hours of my day.
Mine are 3 (twins), I still feel it's a bit young. The nearest 9-hole worth playing is 45 minutes away and it's got a lot of hills and poison oak. I take them with me when I go to Tahoe, but even then it can be a lot of walking and they get tired out.
Gotcha. Yeah, my youngest (also twins) are 4. They are just getting to the point where they can handle 18 holes on a real course (though not during the hot summer). You've got a lot to look forward to though. My two oldest (6/9) love to go with me.
Cool. Honestly my biggest problem is that the driving distance to the nearest course is obscene. I have a 9-hole in town, but the holes are all super short, there are no obstacles, and it tends to get windy. I just don't find it fun. To play the closest course it is about 45 minutes drive. It's a nice 9-hole course that has a bunch of variety. Other than that it is either drive roughly an hour depending on traffic to San Jose or San Francisco. This means I need to devote an entire day to playing when I figure I have 2 hours of drive time. If I'm driving two hours I don't want to play for 30 minutes and turn around.My in-laws are in Tahoe so that is where i play the most and I do take the kids with me. It's laid back, they can hunt for pine cones, and maybe toss a disc or two. The drive time is 5-10 minutes so if the kids are getting disinterested I don't feel bad about leaving.
Where do you live?
Livermore

He's playing at an incredibly high level. Domination.

Hasn't finished worse than third in any tourny this year and took his 4th straight worlds. Insane.

Cedar Hills (North Raleigh)

Apex Nature Park (SW of Raleigh, fairly new)

UNC DGC (Chapel Hill)

All good courses in the area that I've played.

Dumb question alert!!!!!!!

I'm in temporary housing for a bit. I can literally walk out my door and about 100 yards to the course here at Winthrop. Does one have to have a set of discs or would one do? Everyone I see walks around with these backpacks full of these things and I'm not dumping that kind of coin into something I'm not sure I even like. Is the variety necessary or can I go pick up just a couple for me and my son and not be affected too much?

TIA

The Commish said:

I'm in temporary housing for a bit. I can literally walk out my door and about 100 yards to the course here at Winthrop. Does one have to have a set of discs or would one do? Everyone I see walks around with these backpacks full of these things and I'm not dumping that kind of coin into something I'm not sure I even like. Is the variety necessary or can I go pick up just a couple for me and my son and not be affected too much?

TIA
There's no reason to buy a bunch if you are brand new.

You're on the south side so run up to Play it Again off Pineville Matthews Road and tell them you are new and need a few discs for you and your son. They will help you out with a few cheap used discs. If you are ever on the north side of town go by Another Round Disc Golf. Kevin the owner is a friend of mine and is a great guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Commish said:

TIA
There's no reason to buy a bunch if you are brand new.

You're on the south side so run up to Play it Again off Pineville Matthews Road and tell them you are new and need a few discs for you and your son. They will help you out with a few cheap used discs. If you are ever on the north side of town go by Another Round Disc Golf. Kevin the owner is a friend of mine and is a great guy.
Curious....what are the differences between all those things I see them carrying? Weight?

Main differences:

Weight - from lightweight 155 gram discs to max weight 180 gram discs

Speed - from putters to mid range discs to drivers... different discs will travel different distances when thrown with the same force... aerodynamics!!!

Turn/Fade - tendency for a disc to go left or right at the beginning and end of the disc flight

Less is more at this stage. Don't be like me and buy 100+ discs in your first 4 months of playing. All the brands/molds/plastics/flight numbers can be addictive.

My suggestion would be to start with two discs: a midrange like a Cobra, Shark, Mako or Buzzz, and a putter. Check out some Youtube videos on the proper form, and just go out and have fun. Once you can consistently get your midrange to fly straight to 250' or so, add a fairway driver like a Leopard imo.

Cedar Hills (North Raleigh)

Apex Nature Park (SW of Raleigh, fairly new)

UNC DGC (Chapel Hill)

All good courses in the area that I've played.
Thanks Worm. Is the above in order of preference?
Not really, I like them all, and they are all fairly well reviewed. I'd just play whichever you are nearest. Apex Nature might be my favorite of the three if I had to choose. There's a few other decent options too.

When are you playing? I'm in Charlotte but Anborn from FBG's is a good friend who lives in the area. If he's available I'm sure he'd play around after work one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be in a Raleigh suburb Thursday to Sunday, not sure which day I will play, probably Saturday morning.

The Commish said:

TIA
I live in Rock Hill and have a assload of discs. I can give you guys a few.

I'll be in a Raleigh suburb Thursday to Sunday, not sure which day I will play, probably Saturday morning.
cool. i should be around this weekend, and happy to throw a round or two with you if you want a guide. The wife will almost for sure want to play as well.

which suburb? i can suggest some spots based on travel time and must visits.

Swing 51 said:
^^ Knightdale and Clayton. I'll hit you with a PM if my schedule works out.
if that is the case... the course in Zebulon for sure. hit me a PM if you want. either way, throw em straight.

Many thanks Anborn, Zebulon Community Park it is. Online reviews of the course seem to indicate it can be a confusing course layout/difficult for first timers to follow?

i didn't have any problem the first time i went. just lookup the course map on DGCR, or dl it to your phone. i wouldn't call it confusing in the least. There is only 1 (maybe 2) transitions that you even have to think about.

Sorry we couldn't link up Anborn, crazy schedule last weekend and played two rounds at the last minute. Ended up hitting Zebulon at like 8AM. Nice course, reminds me of a couple of courses here in the DC area (actually in Va). I love the signs in the park with Caution: Disc Golf Hole - Please Move For Golfers, such a nice touch. Aside from some ladies walking the paths the park was empty. Saw one other golfer as I was on the 17th.

Also played Cedar Hills, liked it but not as much as Zebulon. That water hole was crazy, I had to lay up like a #####. Played Cedar at around 3pm; didn't play thru anyone but lots of folks on the course.

Thanks a lot for the info on the courses, I'll be back in the area late November and will hit you up if my schedule is a bit more predictable and the weather isn't too bad.

Now I'm beginning to see the challenge. The course is all roped off here at Winthrop in prep for the tournament coming. I didn't ever understand the big deal until I see the "fairways" etc. I thought it was just getting from the concrete slab to the baskets and often wondered "what's the big deal". :mellow:

Is the course closed to the public at this point? That would be a blast to play it at championship level.
Don't think so. It's on a college campus and I see tons of people using it daily. I don't know if they are part of the tournament though or not. With the volume, I doubt they are all with the tournament.

Winthrop is closed this Friday for the Am doubles tourney and Monday for USDGC qualifying but you can get on and play it on the other days before the tournament starts.

The Commish said:
berndog said:
Winthrop is a totally different beast with the ropes up.
do all courses do this when they have a tournament?
Most courses are more wooded so the artificial OB is not needed. Winthrop is very open so the OB is needed to increase the difficulty.

Winthrop is closed this Friday for the Am doubles tourney and Monday for USDGC qualifying but you can get on and play it on the other days before the tournament starts.
Today or next Friday? If they're playing today, they better rent some canoes.

Got to watch some of the tournament here in town....pretty cool. I struggled to hold back laughter when I saw the "caddies" though. Never occurred to me that caddies would be part of the deal. It was also quite the fashion show. Overall, a pretty cool experience though I have a feeling it's something you have to do/play yourself to appreciate what you're watching in the others.

Got to watch some of the tournament here in town....pretty cool. I struggled to hold back laughter when I saw the "caddies" though. Never occurred to me that caddies would be part of the deal. It was also quite the fashion show. Overall, a pretty cool experience though I have a feeling it's something you have to do/play yourself to appreciate what you're watching in the others.
The bags weigh a ton. It drains you carrying a bag like that for so many rounds. A must to have a caddie at the highest level.

The bags weigh a ton. It drains you carrying a bag like that for so many rounds. A must to have a caddie at the highest level.
Really? Had no idea. Figured it was a standard backpack stuffed with as many discs as possible. What makes them so heavy?

Really? Had no idea. Figured it was a standard backpack stuffed with as many discs as possible. What makes them so heavy?
Just the weight of 25-30 discs is a lot (10-15 lbs is possible). A few pounds of water plus snacks, towels, umbrella, miscellaneous, etc. Plus the weight of the bag. Could easily get to 20-30 lbs. Not that heavy in general but if you're carrying that a couple miles a day for four days, taking it off and putting it on, it adds up.

Just the weight of 25-30 discs is a lot (10-15 lbs is possible). A few pounds of water plus snacks, towels, umbrella, miscellaneous, etc. Plus the weight of the bag. Could easily get to 20-30 lbs. Not that heavy in general but if you're carrying that a couple miles a day for four days, taking it off and putting it on, it adds up.
I didn't know they could fit all that #### in one of those bags :lol: I also didn't know they really carried that many discs. I thought it was like 5-6.

I didn't know they could fit all that #### in one of those bags :lol: I also didn't know they really carried that many discs. I thought it was like 5-6.
This guy doesn't even carry that many discs: http://www.natedoss.com/My-Bag

I was just there for the final round and it was an experience I'll never forget, despite the horrible weather. Really felt bad for Wysocki, but McBeth was awe inspiring. If you're a fan of ball golf, the experience was like following Spieth around Augusta on Sunday at the Masters and watching every shot from within chit-chat distance. I already can't wait till next year.

Users who are viewing this thread