What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (5 Viewers)

Watching sports center. Mort seemed to think Gordon might only be suspended 8 games. Could be 10. Said needed some clarification.

ugh, Rappaport says 10 games for Gordon
Gordon owners got a gift, and the ultimate late season boost. Don't get greedy.
Well I had come to terms with an 8 game gift. Sure I'll take it. It comes at a price of a long time roster stash, but then again, you hold these "lottery" RBs all year long hoping for a few impact games. Here is a lottery ticket that you know you will cash for the stretch run.

Michael Salfino @MichaelSalfino · now

Mort says 8 games "because Gordon has had other issues since the one positive test that put him in the year suspension." Go on.... Nothing.
I wonder if it's related to the incident in which Gordon got ticketed for speeding and his buddy got popped for marijuana possession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there official confirmation of 10 games? Things still don't seem clear. I guess I can settle for 10 of that is the case.

Michael Fabiano@Michael_Fabiano

Josh Gordon decision waiting on opinion of some guy on Internet forum. If he agrees then NFLPA will sign deal allowing Gordon to return this year and miss just ten games.

Twitter is such a ####### #### show. You have people tweeting "That Josh Gordon pick-up just won me my fantasy league doe" right below people tweeting "10 games?! Horse ####.".

What if the Browns pledged to start Johnny against the Saints? In return, Gordon gets 1 game w/ time served. The NFL wants JF to JG very badly. Everybody wins.

#FreeJoshGordon

Now it's time for him to sue the NFL. Suspended 10 games for a 4th violation even though it doesn't count as a violation any longer. I expect him to sue and return by next week.

Now it's time for him to sue the NFL. Suspended 10 games for a 4th violation even though it doesn't count as a violation any longer. I expect him to sue and return by next week.
Week 4 after the Saints would be fine with me.

Under the current rules (as just passed) he does not have a 4th violation? If the prior rules applied then he would be out 16. If the current rules applied then he would get 0. :hangover:

He'd already decided not to sue because he doesn't have a case. The adoption of the new policy doesn't change anything in that regard.

His violation still counts, according to the new policy, since it occurred before March 11. At least that's what's being reported. (If the violation actually doesn't count under the new policy -- if, for example, retroactivity goes back to March of last year -- there will be no need to sue, because Gordon will simply be reinstated just like Wes Welker.)

He'd already decided not to sue because he doesn't have a case. The adoption of the new policy doesn't change anything in that regard.

His violation still counts, according to the new policy, since it occurred before March 11. At least that's what's being reported. (If the violation actually doesn't count under the new policy, there will be no need to sue, because Gordon will simply be reinstated just like Wes Welker.)
But the 10 game suspension for a 4th is an application of the new agreement right?

But for what would be a non-violation under the new agreement?

Week 4 after the Saints would be fine with me.

Under the current rules (as just passed) he does not have a 4th violation? If the prior rules applied then he would be out 16. If the current rules applied then he would get 0. :hangover:
I think the old marijuana standards still apply to his failed test last December. However, he's being grandfathered in to the new discipline protocols. Hence his 4th failed test stands, but his punishment is reduced from 16 games to 10.

His violation still counts, according to the new policy, since it occurred before March 11. At least that's what's being reported. (If the violation actually doesn't count under the new policy, there will be no need to sue, because Gordon will simply be reinstated just like Wes Welker.)
But the 10 game suspension for a 4th is an application of the new agreement right?

It is a violation under the new agreement. Based on what's being reported, the new agreement says that 35 ng/ml became the effective standard as of March 11 of this year, and 15 ng/ml was the standard before that. Gordon tested above 15 ng/ml before March 11.

It is a violation under the new agreement. Based on what's being reported, the new agreement says that 35 ng/ml was the effective standard as of March 11 of this year, and 15 ng/ml was the standard before that.
Ok I see, they incorporated the prior standard I guess. Thanks.

Seriously seems like the league is leaking out various numbers of games suspended to preemptively gauge twitter reaction. :lol:

What if the Browns pledged to start Johnny against the Saints? In return, Gordon gets 1 game w/ time served. The NFL wants JF to JG very badly. Everybody wins.

#FreeJoshGordon
That's kinda freaky. I've been saying this for a while now and here comes some pseudo LOD guy with 39 posts in 9 years saying the same thing.

· RETROACTIVITY: Discipline of players for certain violations in the 2014 League Year will have their discipline adjusted by certain aspects of the new policies.

That's a bit vague.
Uhm, is this the whole thing?

AMENDING MARIJUANA POLICIES: The threshold for a positive test for marijuana will increase to 35 ng/ml from the previous limit of 15 ng/ml. There will be additional steps for players who test positive for the substance before suspension.

· RETROACTIVITY: Discipline of players for certain violations in the 2014 League Year will have their discipline adjusted by certain aspects of the new policies.
Because....

It is a violation under the new agreement. Based on what's being reported, the new agreement says that 35 ng/ml was the effective standard as of March 11 of this year, and 15 ng/ml was the standard before that.
Ok I see, they incorporated the prior standard I guess. Thanks.
Regardless, it seems unjust to apply the new policy retroactively in this manner. Why not apply the new standards to all players currently being disciplined under the old policy? Instead, they based it off of something that's completely arbitrary, namely, the date of the failed test.

What a bad deal for the Browns if he gets 10 games.

They'll probably be out of playoff contention by then and they'll lose a year off his rookie contract.

That's a bit vague.
Uhm, is this the whole thing?

AMENDING MARIJUANA POLICIES: The threshold for a positive test for marijuana will increase to 35 ng/ml from the previous limit of 15 ng/ml. There will be additional steps for players who test positive for the substance before suspension.

Because....
What's in the link does appear to be the whole press release, yes.

Gotta say...

A bit disappointed, and also a bit excited.

At least he's playing. Looks like 10 games, which is lame.... but Ill wait til the NFL site is official

What a bad deal for the Browns if he gets 10 games.

They'll probably be out of playoff contention by then and they'll lose a year off his rookie contract.
Yup. Leave it to the Browns to get the worst of both worlds. Probably will also have to deal with a Johnny Football ACL tear the week before Gordon comes back.

Wish he were gone for the year. Gonna be out for 12 just in time to ruin his free agency clock and start playing after we have no shot at making the playoffs. Again.

AlbertBreer
@AlbertBreer

From the NFLPA, on suspended players: “The Board of Player Representatives gave the NFLPA authority to complete new policies with the League consistent with detailed term sheets the players reviewed. We hope to have final agreements, including effective date for players with adjusted discipline, very soon.”

Users who are viewing this thread