What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

My friend, with all due respect, you are "mind reading" by calling him a junkie. Maybe he moved beyond his demons, maybe he hasn't. However, the Schefter tweets indicate team still believe in the player and wouldn't trade for a 'junkie'. 
With all due respect--I had a sister that almost died due to drug abuse and she wasn't nearly as priviledged as Josh Gordon.  The dude abandoned his own baby and his babys mother to do drugs with Manziel.  He only is involved in their lives because a court ordered him to take a paternity test and ended up legally binding him to do so.   The guy is on the brink of a come back on a team that has stood by him for years--and aggravates an injury doing a promotional shoot--shows up late to work and tries to blame his injury for something that happened in practice on Friday.   The only way a junkie recovers is through being honest with themselves and others--and the dude is making it impossible for others to support and trust him.  Even if he's not actively a junkie at this very moment--it sure sounds like he's acting like one.  

I don't know what they had in place. But I recall reading that when Dez came to Dallas he had a full time "babysitter" in a sense who stayed by his side 24/7 until he showed the maturity to handle what being in the NFL entailed.
player has to consent to that.  

there are unfortunately a lot of barriers preventing teams from helping players. 

A "better" support system?  While the Browns are a dumpster fire--the one thing that they have done over the years is sticking with Josh Gordon. We can blame the Browns for a lot of things--let's not blame them for Josh Gordon being an idiot and a junkie.  
The Browns have been this guys backstop for years and have finally had enough. Dorsey isn’t putting up with Gordon’s shenanigans plain & simple.

i wish him well, hope he gets his head on straight but not going to lose sleep over this. Said earlier in this thread, Gordon’s focus isn’t football, hadn’t been for a long time. He won’t be worth a #### until that changes. 

I’m sorry, man.  This is your site, but we should be allowed to point out what an idiot this guy is.  If you believe it’s somehow a disease, great, but please do not censor those that know that some people are just stupid.
It's not censoring. It's not being a tool. If you want to make jokes about how stupid he is, take your hot take somewhere else. 

The Browns have been this guys backstop for years and have finally had enough. Dorsey isn’t putting up with Gordon’s shenanigans plain & simple.

i wish him well, hope he gets his head on straight but not going to lose sleep over this. Said earlier in this thread, Gordon’s focus isn’t football, hadn’t been for a long time. He won’t be worth a #### until that changes. 
Sounds like "doing the right thing" isn't his focus.  Until THAT changes, it won't matter what else he focuses on.

player has to consent to that.  

there are unfortunately a lot of barriers preventing teams from helping players. 
I got the feeling that JG was all in on his recovery...I don't know. I wasn't there. Maybe as someone else said a change of scenery will do everyone some good. I'd have to think any team trading for him would make part of his contract some stipulation that he accepts help so he stays on track with his recovery that is additional to what the league is already doing.

With all due respect--I had a sister that almost died due to drug abuse and she wasn't nearly as priviledged as Josh Gordon.  The dude abandoned his own baby and his babys mother to do drugs with Manziel.  He only is involved in their lives because a court ordered him to take a paternity test and ended up legally binding him to do so.   The guy is on the brink of a come back on a team that has stood by him for years--and aggravates an injury doing a promotional shoot--shows up late to work and tries to blame his injury for something that happened in practice on Friday.   The only way a junkie recovers is through being honest with themselves and others--and the dude is making it impossible for others to support and trust him.  Even if he's not actively a junkie at this very moment--it sure sounds like he's acting like one.  
I'm sorry for you had to go through that and hope all is well now. Equating different situations to Gordon's is a textbook definition of "confirmation bias". You see similar things and automatically assume that they're the same. No one has any idea what Josh is going through. Maybe he moved past his demons, maybe he hasn't. In situations like this, you look purely at 'actions'. Schefter says others teams are interested in trading for him. To me, that means others are confident in giving him a shot. Maybe he'll turn into an All-Pro that wel all want him to be---maybe he won't. But by calling him a 'junkie' at this stage just isn't productive because we just don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like "doing the right thing" isn't his focus.  Until THAT changes, it won't matter what else he focuses on.
For all we know, he could have gotten injured shooting a promotional video for Thursday Night Football. Who knows at this point. Monitor 'actions' and avoid the 'noise.

Jon Gruden took the award this year for handling (potential) star players who their respective teams deem "problematic".......but it makes no sense for the Browns to do what they are doing UNLESS it is a drug issue.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago

More

The #Browns announced they are releasing Josh Gordon, but they may not get there. I’m told as many as five teams are researching possibly trading for Gordon. Cleveland has a market.

i didn’t read everything, but the report stated Josh “was not himself” when he showed up late and reported the hamstring.  

my guess is they suspected drug use. 

Article lists Dallas, Arizona, and Jacksonville as possible destinations. From a fantasy perspective, Dallas is the best spot. However, going back to Texas may not be ideal unless the Cowboys have a solid, specific support system ready for him.
Gordon definitely feels like a Coughlin type of guy. Marronne too...

Florio adding that Gordon was late for "multiple meetings". I still think some drug related issue is the most likely explanation, but maybe he just wanted out of Cleveland.

After reading this link, you've GOT to think a trade to the Cowboys just makes too much sense, doesn't it?  Jerry will overpay (as always) AND be over confident in his abilities to shepherd along a troubled soul (Dez, Hardy, Gregory, Pac Man, etc. etc. etc.).
After passing on Moss, Jerry has had a soft spot for troubled WRs. You may be onto something...

So, the Browns trust him enough to make him a starter, pump him up a little, send him to a promotional event, and then "suspected" him of something after he's late to a meeting the next day, and they instantly move to release/trade him after waiting on him this long?  You'd think they'd have at least tried to verify it unless they just got tired of guessing or waiting for him to do something wrong again.  Either way, another team is going to take a shot, and it'll likely be a team that really needs him.

Supposedly he (re)injured his hamstring at that event, not at a practice.  The guy played 75% of his team's snaps in week 1 after missing basically the entire camp and fighting through a hammy injury.

Something seems like it's missing from the story, but it's foolish for anyone to jump to conclusions no matter what your opinion of him is.  Addiction is serious, and anyone who laughs it off or is insulting about it shouldn't be sharing their opinion in the first place.

After reading this link, you've GOT to think a trade to the Cowboys just makes too much sense, doesn't it?  Jerry will overpay (as always) AND be over confident in his abilities to shepherd along a troubled soul (Dez, Hardy, Gregory, Pac Man, etc. etc. etc.).
Gordon and Gregory in the same locker room doesn't sound like a recipe for success in the NFL but it would be one heck of a buddy movie.

I'm sorry for you had to go through that and hope all is well now. Equating different situations to Gordon's is a textbook definition of "confirmation bias". You see similar things and automatically assume that they're the same. No one has any idea what Josh is going through. Maybe he moved before his demons, maybe he hasn't. In situations like this, you look purely at 'actions'. Schefter says others teams are interested in trading for him. To me, that means others are confident in giving him a shot. Maybe he'll turn into an All-Pro that wel all want him to be---maybe he won't. But by calling him a 'junkie' at this stage just isn't productive because we just don't know.
No confirmation bias at all--it's looking at a history of facts regarding Gordon and coming up with a conclusion that makes the most sense.   Gordon showed up to work late and lied to an employer that has stood by his side while he was a junkie is beyond dumb. The fact that other teams are interested in his "talent" means nothing.  The Pats drafted a thug in Aaron Hernandez because they thought that his on field production was worth the risk of him being a bad person off the field.  His draft stock fell because other teams knew that he had the potential of being a major problem off the field. He ended up being a murderer.  Other NFL teams being interested in Gordon means absolutely nothing

So, the Browns trust him enough to make him a starter, pump him up a little, send him to a promotional event, and then "suspected" him of something after he's late to a meeting the next day, and they instantly move to release/trade him after waiting on him this long?  You'd think they'd have at least tried to verify it unless they just got tired of guessing or waiting for him to do something wrong again.  Either way, another team is going to take a shot, and it'll likely be a team that really needs him.

Supposedly he (re)injured his hamstring at that event, not at a practice.  The guy played 75% of his team's snaps in week 1 after missing basically the entire camp and fighting through a hammy injury.

Something seems like it's missing from the story, but it's foolish for anyone to jump to conclusions no matter what your opinion of him is.  Addiction is serious, and anyone who laughs it off or is insulting about it shouldn't be sharing their opinion in the first place.
Yeah, I agree with this. I'll do some mind reading of my own and assume Dorsey was waiting for the slightest 'slip up' before getting rid of him. Dorsey killed his own trade leverage tho by saying they were going to release him on Monday.

getting your aliases banned too?

power move.  
I, as an unbiased observer, don’t get the stance @Joe Bryant is taking.  So an NFL player can’t be called a moron on this site?  If that’s the call, so be it.  But it seems it’s being enforced in this thread only then, when a player is (supposedly) being released for yet unknown reasons.  Doesn’t sound like he’s failed a test, so he’s not being called a moron for being an addict.  So why is calling Gordon a moron worthy of “some time off?”  Seems ridiculous.  And no, I’m not an alias.  

Oof, I forgot how many suspensions get dished out over this thread. I better go back to my hole in the Jamaal Williams thread. You boys have fun. I also changed my original stance. I would like to cut him but will hold out to see if an organization that has a better history than the Browns takes a shot on him.

Clearly more is going to come out very soon. I would plan to move on from Gordon. This should be a 9 out of 10 on the concern meter. "He didn't seem himself" is a nice way of saying they suspect he relapsed. The Browns are getting ahead of what they know is inevitable while trying to save face.

I took the chance with him against better judgement. I pray I am wrong but my gut say's it's over.

If me not allowing people to publicly mock a guy with addiction problems makes you not subscribe, do what you gotta do. 
Was he calling Gordon a moron because of his addiction problems?  Sure doesn’t seem like it, so you lost me there.  Hasn’t LeVeon Bell had a drug suspension previously?  Are you banning everyone calling him a moron in his thread?  

Clearly more is going to come out very soon. I would plan to move on from Gordon. This should be a 9 out of 10 on the concern meter. "He didn't seem himself" is a nice way of saying they suspect he relapsed. The Browns are getting ahead of what they know is inevitable while trying to save face.

I took the chance with him against better judgement. I pray I am wrong but my gut say's it's over.
My sentiments exactly. Our only hope is they just had enough of him being tardy to meetings and he legitimately aggravated the hammy at a promo shoot. 

No confirmation bias at all--it's looking at a history of facts regarding Gordon and coming up with a conclusion that makes the most sense.   Gordon showed up to work late and lied to an employer that has stood by his side while he was a junkie is beyond dumb. The fact that other teams are interested in his "talent" means nothing.  The Pats drafted a thug in Aaron Hernandez because they thought that his on field production was worth the risk of him being a bad person off the field.  His draft stock fell because other teams knew that he had the potential of being a major problem off the field. He ended up being a murderer.  Other NFL teams being interested in Gordon means absolutely nothing
The larger point: Most NFL players come from tough backgrounds. A lot of these guys have demons. When I say demons, it can be a huge range of things. Some can handle them and overcome, some can't. At the end of the day, NFL teams have shown that they will give uber talented players multiple chances. The Browns stood by Gordon for a long time, but with a new GM in place, he wants to put his stamp on it. Rightfully so. The cost of putting his stamp on it is getting rid of players like Gordon and even Corey Coleman. Either way, Dorsey better hope that 'his guys' are better than what he has gotten rid of. 

It sounds like Gordon will have another chance with another team. It's up to him what he does with that chance. 

I, as an unbiased observer, don’t get the stance @Joe Bryant is taking.  So an NFL player can’t be called a moron on this site?  If that’s the call, so be it.  But it seems it’s being enforced in this thread only then, when a player is (supposedly) being released for yet unknown reasons.  Doesn’t sound like he’s failed a test, so he’s not being called a moron for being an addict.  So why is calling Gordon a moron worthy of “some time off?”  Seems ridiculous.  And no, I’m not an alias.  
You clearly don't get it.

There is a difference between calling someone's actions moronic and calling someone a moron.

It is additionally galling to call someone a moron because they are an addict and/or (I think "and") have mental illness.

Users who are viewing this thread