What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart signed to a 5 year extension (1 Viewer)

This is wonderful news for all us Stewart owners. We all wanted to hold him for 5 more years, thinking that when he turns 30 he will finally get that opportunity to take a starting job and shine.

This is wonderful news for all us Stewart owners. We all wanted to hold him for 5 more years, thinking that when he turns 30 he will finally get that opportunity to take a starting job and shine.
What I don't understand, why would Stewart sign? I feel like if he put himself into free agency, he would get paid like a top 10 back, right?

Not to say he's not worth it at all, but I think he got more guaranteed $$ ($22.5 mil) than Foster, McCoy, Forte. (Even if his total deal worth is less)

Big fan of Stewart. Good to see Carolina recognize his value.

-----------

And I disagree with anyone that thinks "He should have just waited a year" for a deal. You never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever 'just wait a year' financially as an NFL RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart signed a five-year extension worth $36.5 million and a max of $42.5, including $22.5 million guaranteed.

-per Adam Shefter

If I was a Carolina fan I would love this. As a patient Stewart owner for 3 years, I kinda want to cry.

Very smart move for him. He has gotten some unfortunate injuries, but the talent is undeniable. Good signing.

I had both him and DeAngelo for two seasons or so in dynasty, and finally dealt them both last season. Just couldn't stand the week-to-week ups-and-downs with those guys. Looks like there's no end in sight now for that roller coaster ride...

Yeah, don't be a Cliff Avrill. Take the money when its offered to you. Just hope this means the aknowledgement of giving him the primary role and the phasing out of DWIL.

I think that the best Stewart owners can hope for is a 70/30 split. Williams may be 29, but he has been fairly lightly used. I could see him playing to 32 or 33, depending on his willingness to extend his contract. The real thing this move means to me is that there is no way Williams sticks around w/o restructuring his deal.

I also hope this means the Panthers continue to use Stewart heavily in the passing game. If he can ever get tov4 receptions a game, he has a ton of value, even if he's only getting 15 carries a game.

I think that the best Stewart owners can hope for is a 70/30 split. Williams may be 29, but he has been fairly lightly used. I could see him playing to 32 or 33, depending on his willingness to extend his contract. The real thing this move means to me is that there is no way Williams sticks around w/o restructuring his deal. I also hope this means the Panthers continue to use Stewart heavily in the passing game. If he can ever get tov4 receptions a game, he has a ton of value, even if he's only getting 15 carries a game.
What's wrong with a 70/30 best case scenario? Unless you're Maurice Jones-Drew, you're not getting more than 70% of your team's rushing offense. As a patient Stewart owner... You know what? I'm okay with this. It would have been nice to have him go somewhere to be the undisputed starter, but he's been outplaying Williams, his share of the offensive pie has been increasing every year (to the point where he actually saw more snaps than Williams last year, and got a couple starts over a healthy Williams for the first time)... Carolina or elsewhere, his time as a featured RB is fast approaching.Edit: actually, this is probably the best time ever to buy Stewart as all the true believers finally give up hope.

I was hoping he would get extended. I'm a very happy Panther fan. :thumbup:
I'm not so sure about this. Having no dog in this fight, how much have the Panthers spent on what essentially amounts to one position (let's be honest, Tolbert is no fullback) in the last two years?Seems like really poor management?

No brainer for Stewart. Gets top, going rate money and he doesn't have to take a beating as a lead back for as long a Deangelo Williams is still playing for the panthers.

Makes me wonder if Deangello is gone next year. Not sure of his contract details, but I vaguely remember hearing the Panthers arent on the hook after this year.

Panthers had money to spend the other year and decided on Deangello. May have been a gift/mistake.

I think Stewart will get more carries and TD's this year. 70 / 30 split

I think Stewart is the main back next year. Williams will have to take a pay cut or be released.

Stewart is a good value right now considering all the owners that have been keeping him might move him now rather than keep hold him.

BUY LOW

I was hoping he would get extended. I'm a very happy Panther fan. :thumbup:
I'm not so sure about this. Having no dog in this fight, how much have the Panthers spent on what essentially amounts to one position (let's be honest, Tolbert is no fullback) in the last two years?Seems like really poor management?
Signing Deangelo was a bit of mistake, given his age. His signing had as much to do with Jerry Richardson making a statement after the lockout, as it did with signing him to a deal. Signing Stewart to this extension is great management. As a Panthers fan, I am thrilled with the extension. I expect Stewart to be the top back in Carolina this year, with Deangelo being used quite a bit as well. Deangelo will probably be on his way out after this or next season, and I fully expect Stewart to be the main guy this year. Just as an FYI, all of Deangelo's guaranteed money ended this season. Yes, it was a large contract, but they definitely took the big picture into account.

(let's be honest, Tolbert is no fullback)
Tolbert is their fullback, and will be a special teams player for them. He fills the big void that Brad Hoover left, and his four year deal was for 8.4 million. They can also use him on special plays. He was a great offseason signing for the Panthers.

Tolbert is their fullback, and will be a special teams player for them. He fills the big void that Brad Hoover left, and his four year deal was for 8.4 million. They can also use him on special plays. He was a great offseason signing for the Panthers.
He might be their fullback, but he is no fullback. I didn't realize how sweet a deal the Panthers got on him though. Essentially a two year deal for $3.2 mil?

Yes, Tolbert is definitely the fullback... And from watching practices, he looks good in that role. I also expect Chud to create some truly unique fb plays for him. I could see him with 50 catches this season, along with some rushing. There has even been talk of the Panthers working on the wishbone.I know the Darren Sproles thing gets thrown around a lot with players, but I see Tolbert being the fb version of Sproles this year. Basically, used all over the place. The Panthers running game is going to be really interesting to watch this year. I'm excited about the possibilities, even if fantasy players are annoyed by things.

I think this is still good for Stewart owners: the general theory should be the more salary someone makes , the more you would use them in your Offense. If he gets %60 of the load - I'm happy.

"It is what it is."

I've got him in a couple leagues and I'm not pulling my hair out over this. Sure, I would've liked to have seen him sign a big contract with the Packers or Colts in the offseason, but that was never very likely. D-Will is a good back, but getting a bit long in the tooth. I think Stewart will gradually nudge him aside, though it could take a few years. In the meantime he'll continue to be what he has been, a serviceable RB2-RB3 for FF pursposes.

Tough luck for folks who took Stewart high in rookie drafts a few years back though. In terms of opportunity, he's probably had one of the unluckiest careers of any elite NFL back in recent history. Carolina's somewhat puzzling decision to hand D-Will a big contract is the thing that really screwed both of their FF values over. As independent starters, they could each be top 5 backs in this hobby. Oh well. At least they will be able to walk when they're 50.

Who gets more rushing TD's this year...Stewart or ....Cam Newton? :)
Carolina is going to run the ball down other teams throat. Cam isn't going to fool teams like he did last year so Stewart will be the huge winner.Stewart 12 TD'sNewton 6 TD'sWilliams 2 TD'sTolbert 3 TD's

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened to all us Stewart dynasty owners.

I think Stewart will get more carries and TD's this year. 70 / 30 split

I think Stewart is the main back next year. Williams will have to take a pay cut or be released.

Stewart is a good value right now considering all the owners that have been keeping him might move him now rather than keep hold him.

BUY LOW
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

IMO, disappointing for fantasy owners and obviously an NFL team that is not touch with current economics of NFL football.

IMO, disappointing for fantasy owners and obviously an NFL team that is not touch with current economics of NFL football.
I don't think that's entirely true. Yes, they could pick up a rookie in the draft, but it's hard to pass up known talent that's a perfect fit for your offense. This is doubly true if DWill's contract is largely voidable next year and they want to keep Stewart as their bellcow.

"It is what it is." I've got him in a couple leagues and I'm not pulling my hair out over this. Sure, I would've liked to have seen him sign a big contract with the Packers or Colts in the offseason, but that was never very likely. D-Will is a good back, but getting a bit long in the tooth. I think Stewart will gradually nudge him aside, though it could take a few years. In the meantime he'll continue to be what he has been, a serviceable RB2-RB3 for FF pursposes. Tough luck for folks who took Stewart high in rookie drafts a few years back though. In terms of opportunity, he's probably had one of the unluckiest careers of any elite NFL back in recent history. Carolina's somewhat puzzling decision to hand D-Will a big contract is the thing that really screwed both of their FF values over. As independent starters, they could each be top 5 backs in this hobby. Oh well. At least they will be able to walk when they're 50.
I think this is overall good for Stewart. Its a good upcoming team with a great QB thrat to keep teams honest and while its been disappointing if you drafted him in rookie drafts a few years ago, he's still talented enough to have a nice FF role and not get run into the ground in the process. in all reality, the days where any RB comes into the league and has a long LT-like run of greatness for 8+years is probably going to be a scarce thing in the NFL for a while. So I'm liking it overall. Yeah, he didn't wait and sign with the Steelers in 2013 as the bell cow, but he also didn't wait until 2013 and sign with some team with lots of porblems, terrible line, etc. I'll take the known and take his RB2 output while knowing that circumstances can toss him into a RB1 spot at any time.

Although DWills guaranteed money will be up after 2012, the Panthers would take a 5 million cap hit if they cut DWill according to Evan Silva.

Egh. I like he's staying put. Good up and coming offense. He just as well could have ended with Miami,Cincy,AZ,Wash

I like the continuity. Many owners bought Stewart (cheaper) when DAngelo resigned. Can't say I'm disappointed whatsoever with this outcome.

Egh. I like he's staying put. Good up and coming offense. He just as well could have ended with Miami,Cincy,AZ,WashI like the continuity. Many owners bought Stewart (cheaper) when DAngelo resigned. Can't say I'm disappointed whatsoever with this outcome.
I've come around to this manner of thinking. At worst it should be a 50/50 situation that evolves into Stewart with the lion's share. On one of the best offenses in the NFL, with Newton providing a credible threat to defenses, this isn't the worst possible outcome and could pay dividends for several years.

Can't believe that in this day and age the Panthers have over 40 million in guaranteed money tied up in RB's.

I don't think that's entirely true. Yes, they could pick up a rookie in the draft, but it's hard to pass up known talent that's a perfect fit for your offense. This is doubly true if DWill's contract is largely voidable next year and they want to keep Stewart as their bellcow.
Can't give starters money two guys at a position where highly productive guys have to holdout and such to get theirs. williams should have gotten the short end as the older (even if he was "first"). trust me, if the Texans give Tate a starter's contract, i will be leading the bandwagon of negativity.

a lot of jstew owners being pissed in here. i don't know why this is a surprise they've been talking about an extension for awhile.

i think he will be the main guy next year if not this year. he outperformed dwill last year.

I had both him and DeAngelo for two seasons or so in dynasty, and finally dealt them both last season. Just couldn't stand the week-to-week ups-and-downs with those guys. Looks like there's no end in sight now for that roller coaster ride...
Owned DWill and not Stewart. Just dumped DWill for Wayne and Gonzo

Carolina will restructure Deangelo next year, now that the guaranteed money is over with this season. Stewart is the lead RB of the future (and in my opinion, the present), so they locked him up.

Even though there are a lot of wannabee cap experts on here, this move makes perfect sense for the Panthers. Yeah, they probably overspent a little on Deangelo last offseason, but that doesn't mean that locking up Stewart this season is a bad move. They didn't devote a ton of money to Stewart for this season, and I'm confident a Deangelo restructure will bring the overall RB allocation to a reasonable level next season. Along with Cam and Tolbert, Carolina will have an extremely potent running game...and from what I've seen in training camp, along with the info from the beat writers who have attended the others, there will be a ton of moving pieces with the running game. Don't be surprised to see Tolbert, Deangelo, and Stewart on the field at the same time this year.

'Gawain said:
'D said:
Egh. I like he's staying put. Good up and coming offense. He just as well could have ended with Miami,Cincy,AZ,WashI like the continuity. Many owners bought Stewart (cheaper) when DAngelo resigned. Can't say I'm disappointed whatsoever with this outcome.
I've come around to this manner of thinking. At worst it should be a 50/50 situation that evolves into Stewart with the lion's share. On one of the best offenses in the NFL, with Newton providing a credible threat to defenses, this isn't the worst possible outcome and could pay dividends for several years.
It was pretty close to 50/50 last year and if you throw in receptions, then Stewart had more touches.

so is it time to drop D Williams or is there some trade value i can squeeze out of him in dynasty?

Users who are viewing this thread