What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy low, sell high, buy high, sell low (1 Viewer)

I should add that I'm comparing the second halves to show that the main reason Stafford and Newton substantially outperformed Ryan last season was due to incredibly torrid starts. Was it the lockout? Was it that teams had never faced Stafford (healthy, that is) and Newton before? Maybe a little of both, but either way, I think it's interesting to compare just the second halves of the seasons given the possibility that the first half of the season had a greater capacity for anomaly than usual.
The Panthers got fewer goal line opportunities, and played form behind less. I didn't follow the Lions season as closely, so I won't comment on that.

While I still think Brady is going to finish top 3, I can see an argument for him falling out of that tier. If the defense is good and their running game turns out to be a strong one I could see them curtailing the attempts. Don't think it will happen but it's not the craziest argument I've heard.

Why would you buy high on any player?
I've been a "buy high" proponent on here for years and I plan to stick with it this year as well. Put simply, circumstances change very rapidly and so does the value of each player. Owners tend to be in a hurry to "sell high" and will normally sell for anything above the original ADP of the player, regardless of the updated situation/information. The common complaint is that owners overreact, but this is a message board. In terms of how owners actually react and value/trade their own players, they don't react nearly enough as things change.Guys like Wayne who are drafted and valued at WR30 prove right off the bat they're headed for more like WR15 and the owner is up for trading "up" for anything better than WR30. Pay WR22 value for a guy drafted WR30 and get WR15 results. It gets even more extreme in a case like Spiller. IF Jackson ends up out for the year or something, Spiller is a borderline RB1 IMO. I bet his owner will sell him for much less. It's still found value for his drafter who thinks he's getting a great deal getting RB2 or RB3 trade value out of a late round pick.Others where I'm buying high:MJD/ADP.... still being thought of at their 3rd rd draft spot, but would go MUCH sooner if redrafted today.JulioGarconRG3 Broncos passing game

Selling high on Matt Ryan is a bad idea. Althoug he wont point like he did yesterday, that offense is no joke and they look to be airing it out this year. We know Roddy is legit and now Julio looks legit...with Tony over the middle? Ryan is here to stay.

Unless I missed it I am very surprised I havent seen Brandon Lloyd's name posted here. He was wide open on a bomb and Brady just over threw him, he catches that he is looking at a 130 and 1 day with with bonus for long tds in leagues that have those. This may be one of the last week's you can get him at a reasonable price as he is going to have a big year. Not buying that there are too many mouths to feed as Brady had a very pedestrian day due to the score and Ridley gashing the titans on the ground and Lloyd still had lots of looks and just missed having a huge day.

'cheese said:
'TheDuder said:
Why would you buy high on any player?
I've been a "buy high" proponent on here for years and I plan to stick with it this year as well. Put simply, circumstances change very rapidly and so does the value of each player. Owners tend to be in a hurry to "sell high" and will normally sell for anything above the original ADP of the player, regardless of the updated situation/information. The common complaint is that owners overreact, but this is a message board. In terms of how owners actually react and value/trade their own players, they don't react nearly enough as things change.Guys like Wayne who are drafted and valued at WR30 prove right off the bat they're headed for more like WR15 and the owner is up for trading "up" for anything better than WR30. Pay WR22 value for a guy drafted WR30 and get WR15 results. It gets even more extreme in a case like Spiller. IF Jackson ends up out for the year or something, Spiller is a borderline RB1 IMO. I bet his owner will sell him for much less. It's still found value for his drafter who thinks he's getting a great deal getting RB2 or RB3 trade value out of a late round pick.Others where I'm buying high:MJD/ADP.... still being thought of at their 3rd rd draft spot, but would go MUCH sooner if redrafted today.JulioGarconRG3 Broncos passing game
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Unless I missed it I am very surprised I havent seen Brandon Lloyd's name posted here. He was wide open on a bomb and Brady just over threw him, he catches that he is looking at a 130 and 1 day with with bonus for long tds in leagues that have those. This may be one of the last week's you can get him at a reasonable price as he is going to have a big year. Not buying that there are too many mouths to feed as Brady had a very pedestrian day due to the score and Ridley gashing the titans on the ground and Lloyd still had lots of looks and just missed having a huge day.
Not quite sure how his value could have changed. He had 8 targets and caught 5 of them for 69 yards. If you liked him before you should like him now. If you hated him before you should hate him now. I like him and drafted him I simply have no idea how his value (or even perceived value) could have changed.

Johnathan Stewart. The OC said they missed him, it sure looked they missed him ... could be had cheaply as that RB3/flex type

While I still think Brady is going to finish top 3, I can see an argument for him falling out of that tier. If the defense is good and their running game turns out to be a strong one I could see them curtailing the attempts. Don't think it will happen but it's not the craziest argument I've heard.
Not crazy at all. Before Brady starting setting records a handful of years ago - during the Dillon and Antowain Smith days - he was a mediocre fantasy QB when they had a consistent running game and a solid defense. Great real life NFL QB, but not a top tier fantasy QB.In today's pass-happy NFL, I doubt they will all of a sudden ride the running game, but I could certainly see a drop off in the bombs-away mentality.

Where does BenJarvus Green-Ellis fall here? He seems like the most controversial mover of the week. Either BJGE is a plodder who was deservedly dumped by the Pats, or a guy with spring in his step destined for greatness after getting 5.1 YPC vs the Ravens with an offense where even Benson was productive.

Plus, Bernard Scott is coming back.

Which is true? Argh. I have an offer of DJax (my WR4!) for BJGE in a PPR league (I get BJGE) and I'm really torn.

Scott was out- does he take away carries when he comes back?

I might be including him in a trade to reduce risk and ill be getting Donald Brown back- a guy whose stock is low right now.

Murray+Green-Ellis for Jennings+AJ Green+Brown

Depending on the situation, I think a good buy low option is Greg Jennings. With him nursing a groin injury and with all the James Jones and Randall Cobb talk, I think you might be able to get him fairly cheaply. You may have to sit him a week or two but he may pay dividends later.

.From the 9th game through the 15th game for the trio, in standard FBG scoring terms,Stafford had 186.7 pointsNewton had 186.1 pointsRyan had 176.7 points
Stafford and newton had a bye in week 9, why in the world are you comparing total points when ryan had an extra game during that span.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott was out- does he take away carries when he comes back?I might be including him in a trade to reduce risk and ill be getting Donald Brown back- a guy whose stock is low right now.Murray+Green-Ellis for Jennings+AJ Green+Brown
Is that PPR or non-PPR? Makes a huge difference. Still not sure how to value BJGE compared to a week ago.

Thinking I may try to " sell high" and get some value from Roddy White while some people still think there's a question as to who the WR1 in ATL is. Sure does seem like Julio is the man now.

Overreaction? If Bailey covers Julio next week, Roddy could put up big numbers, but too many more games where Julio get 100+/2 to White's 84/0, and his value is going to drop drastically.

I'll throw out a name: Willis McGahee. Manning didn't look as good as the Manning of old to me, but he's going to keep defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. Was concerned during training camp/preseason that ronnie hillman would steal a chunk of carries but it looks he's in Fox's doghouse. Not all that worried about Moreno/Ball stealing much work from him.

I think it's likely that Mcgahee ends the year as a high end RB2 and I think you might be able to get him at borderline RB2/3 prices.

I'm also an S-jax owner considering selling high. Loss of Roger Saffold just makes an already beleaguered offensive line even worse.

I'll throw out a name: Willis McGahee. Manning didn't look as good as the Manning of old to me, but he's going to keep defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. Was concerned during training camp/preseason that ronnie hillman would steal a chunk of carries but it looks he's in Fox's doghouse. Not all that worried about Moreno/Ball stealing much work from him.I think it's likely that Mcgahee ends the year as a high end RB2 and I think you might be able to get him at borderline RB2/3 prices.I'm also an S-jax owner considering selling high. Loss of Roger Saffold just makes an already beleaguered offensive line even worse.
yup. i thought he looked fantastic sunday night, against the best run d in the league over the past decade. throw in the fact that peyton almost always has a productive fantasy rb behind him, and that he was great last year, and i see a top 12 rb at minimum.

'shadyridr said:
'moderated said:
.From the 9th game through the 15th game for the trio, in standard FBG scoring terms,Stafford had 186.7 pointsNewton had 186.1 pointsRyan had 176.7 points
Stafford and newton had a bye in week 9, why in the world are you comparing total points when ryan had an extra game during that span.
cuz it makes his argument better
Completely false, both of you, and I'm surprised as I expect much more out of two veteran and usually more careful posters.My wording is precise and does not say week. It says game.Initially I didn't want to post any fbg content here, but really, all I'm adding that can't be found elsewhere is the final rightmost column, and that's just a conventional scoring system.So here are the 9th-15th games of 2011 for each QB. And yes, that's Week 10 thru Week 16, which I thought wouldn't be too difficult to comprehend, but clearly I was wrong.
Code:
week	Stafford	comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	DET	CHI	33	63	329	1	4	2	1	0	13.511	DET	CAR	28	36	335	5	2	4	2	0	3812	DET	GB	32	45	276	1	3	4	31	0	15.913	DET	NO	31	44	408	1	1	0	0	0	23.414	DET	MIN	20	29	227	2	0	2	4	0	21.815	DET	OAK	29	52	391	4	0	1	5	0	4016	DET	SD	29	36	373	3	0	2	5	0	34.1																						186.7week	Newton		comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	CAR	TEN	23	40	212	0	1	7	55	0	14.111	CAR	DET	22	38	280	1	4	7	37	2	26.712	CAR	IND	20	27	208	0	0	9	53	1	21.713	CAR	TB	12	21	204	1	0	14	54	3	41.314	CAR	ATL	19	39	276	2	2	7	36	0	23.415	CAR	HOU	13	23	149	2	0	7	55	0	22.916	CAR	TB	12	17	171	3	0	6	65	1	36																						186.1											week	Ryan		comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	ATL	NO	29	52	351	2	1	1	9	0	26.411	ATL	TEN	22	32	316	1	0	6	3	0	21.112	ATL	MIN	27	34	262	3	0	4	3	0	28.413	ATL	HOU	20	47	267	1	2	1	10	0	15.314	ATL	CAR	22	38	320	4	0	3	0	0	3615	ATL	JAX	19	26	224	3	0	0	0	0	26.216	ATL	NO	34	52	373	1	0	2	-3	0	23.3																						176.7

'Banger said:
'Crazysight said:
BUY JAKE LOCKER LOW! He will sizzle by the second half, if not sooner.
agreed....I didn't draft a 2nd QB in a couple leagues and I'm trying to add him as a throw in.
Even with a separated shoulder? I know it's the non-throwing arm, but he went down and stayed down. One good pop next weekend and he doesn't finish a game. It's not like it heals in a couple days.Now dynasty I can see a different train of thought.

'chem said:
Where does BenJarvus Green-Ellis fall here? He seems like the most controversial mover of the week. Either BJGE is a plodder who was deservedly dumped by the Pats, or a guy with spring in his step destined for greatness after getting 5.1 YPC vs the Ravens with an offense where even Benson was productive.Plus, Bernard Scott is coming back.Which is true? Argh. I have an offer of DJax (my WR4!) for BJGE in a PPR league (I get BJGE) and I'm really torn.
I think I would be a buyer. I liked what I saw, he ran hard, picked up some key first downs to keep the chains moving and Marvin likes to run. He did nothing at all to make marvin want to lean on scott. I've always liked Scott but I really don't see him getting a shot. For whatever reason Marvin really doesn't want to give him the shot.

'shadyridr said:
'moderated said:
cuz it makes his argument better
Completely false, both of you, and I'm surprised as I expect much more out of two veteran and usually more careful posters.My wording is precise and does not say week. It says game.As you are apparently incapable of figuring this out yourself, the seven weeks in question are Weeks 10-16, none of which were bye weeks for the QBs involved.
Code:
week	Stafford	comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	DET	CHI	33	63	329	1	4	2	1	0	13.511	DET	CAR	28	36	335	5	2	4	2	0	3812	DET	GB	32	45	276	1	3	4	31	0	15.913	DET	NO	31	44	408	1	1	0	0	0	23.414	DET	MIN	20	29	227	2	0	2	4	0	21.815	DET	OAK	29	52	391	4	0	1	5	0	4016	DET	SD	29	36	373	3	0	2	5	0	34.1																						186.7week	Newton		comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	CAR	TEN	23	40	212	0	1	7	55	0	14.111	CAR	DET	22	38	280	1	4	7	37	2	26.712	CAR	IND	20	27	208	0	0	9	53	1	21.713	CAR	TB	12	21	204	1	0	14	54	3	41.314	CAR	ATL	19	39	276	2	2	7	36	0	23.415	CAR	HOU	13	23	149	2	0	7	55	0	22.916	CAR	TB	12	17	171	3	0	6	65	1	36																						186.1											week	Ryan		comp	att	yds	tds	ints	rushes	yds	tds	fbg pts10	ATL	NO	29	52	351	2	1	1	9	0	26.411	ATL	TEN	22	32	316	1	0	6	3	0	21.112	ATL	MIN	27	34	262	3	0	4	3	0	28.413	ATL	HOU	20	47	267	1	2	1	10	0	15.314	ATL	CAR	22	38	320	4	0	3	0	0	3615	ATL	JAX	19	26	224	3	0	0	0	0	26.216	ATL	NO	34	52	373	1	0	2	-3	0	23.3																						176.7
I was just being a smartass. I didnt actually verify his comments. My reply was just a joke.

I was just being a smartass. I didnt actually verify his comments. My reply was just a joke.
Sorry. I didn't mean to jump on anyone, and I know I'm being defensive, so I apologize. What gets me frustrated is that we recently had hundreds of posts in a thread lamenting the state of the Shark Pool, but when someone puts in the effort to actually do a little research into a relevant current topic (in this case, showing that the difference between Stafford and Newton and Ryan was actually very small in the second half of last season), hoping to actually inform others of something that probably not a lot of people realized, another poster takes 30 seconds to throw out a quick insult rather than spending an extra minute or two to double-check the data.Note that I say "insult" because rather than accuse a long-term poster of making such an obvious error in analysis, I would show them the respect of looking at the data briefly to see if my snap judgment was correct. And if that was done in this case, it would have been relatively easy to see that my numbers were not vastly incorrect by virtue of mistakenly omitting a bye week differential in the analysis.Anyway, carry on.

Sorry. I didn't mean to jump on anyone, and I know I'm being defensive, so I apologize. What gets me frustrated is that we recently had hundreds of posts in a thread lamenting the state of the Shark Pool, but when someone puts in the effort to actually do a little research into a relevant current topic (in this case, showing that the difference between Stafford and Newton and Ryan was actually very small in the second half of last season), hoping to actually inform others of something that probably not a lot of people realized, another poster takes 30 seconds to throw out a quick insult rather than spending an extra minute or two to double-check the data.Note that I say "insult" because rather than accuse a long-term poster of making such an obvious error in analysis, I would show them the respect of looking at the data briefly to see if my snap judgment was correct. And if that was done in this case, it would have been relatively easy to see that my numbers were not vastly incorrect by virtue of mistakenly omitting a bye week differential in the analysis.Anyway, carry on.
I took your 9-15 week statement literally, I didn't double check it because you are usually always on top of your game. It seems you were still on top of your game but worded it in a way that confused me. My fault.

I took your 9-15 week statement literally, I didn't double check it because you are usually always on top of your game. It seems you were still on top of your game but worded it in a way that confused me. My fault.
Very generous of you. Thanks.I deserve blame here too because I left room for confusion by choosing to write games 9-15 instead of weeks 10-16 in the post. Ironically, that happened because when I began looking at the stats, I suspected one of the QBs may have had a late (Week 10 or 11) bye week, in which case stating Weeks 10-16 would create the exact problem you were postulating about. I should have changed the "games" to "weeks" once I realized that bye weeks weren't an issue. So for that, my bad. I also could have emphasized the per game statistic rather than the cumulative points statistic. Whatever; it's all good.Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

It's either this week or next as your last chance to get Matthews. If he's not playing make the offer while the owner is in need of someone to start.

It's either this week or next as your last chance to get Matthews. If he's not playing make the offer while the owner is in need of someone to start.
:confused: Didnt the owner of Mathews draft him KNOWING hed be out a few weeks? And theyd trade him just as hes about to come back?

:confused: Didnt the owner of Mathews draft him KNOWING hed be out a few weeks? And theyd trade him just as hes about to come back?
Not if they took an L week 1 and are in need of someone to start. Point is his value is lowest now
hes a week closer to coming back. His value is going UP not down

Not if they took an L week 1 and are in need of someone to start. Point is his value is lowest now
If his value is going up that means it's low now. Wow

If his value is going up that means it's low now. Wow
it was lower last week

Hello Poster,I agree with the sentimental, but Brady did not overthrow him. Lloyd misread the ball and slowed his pace and turned around to catch it when he should have just continud running. Had he done so, he was wide open, and had an easy touchdown (the Titans bited hard on the playaction).If Mr Lloyd belongs in this thread at all, it is as a BUY LOW as maybe the Mr Lloyd owner in your league did not see the game and is starting to whorry that the "not enough targets" + "ooo Patriots look more balanced/will run more" worries are true. I would try to get Lloyd before the Arizona game if I did not already own him in just about every league (full closure).Regards,THE FANTASY KING

Re: Spiller

I'm high on Spiller - I think he's a fine talent, and he's going to be my RB2 for awhile.

But it's not insane to sell high in the next couple of weeks if you're weak at WR or QB. I think the Bills are nuts if they just forget about Spiller once Jackson returns. However, Spiller will have immense trade value over the next three weeks. Spiller at this moment is a high RB2 / low RB1 prospect at the moment. That'll change once Jackson returns.

I didn't receive any offers for RG3, but did start pimping him out. I have Rodgers, so was just looking to move RG3. Ended up going with the following in my 12 team PPR:

RG3 & Donald Brown

for

Doug Martin & Brandon Lafell

I could've rode the wave and tried to get more value out of another good performance, or he could crash and burn and leave me holding him with nobody interested. I decided to go for a move now since this just isn't a very QB-starved year in Fantasy. There were only 2 even perspective teams that would need/want RG3 in my 12 teamer. Everyone else got pretty great QB play week 1.

So far this week I've bought low on Hillis, while selling highish on Crabtree:

I send Crabtree for Hillis & Austin Collie

That deal got better when Collie was cleared this morning.

Then I got rid of my trump card in RG3 to improve my RB2 slot:

I send RG3 & Donald Brown for Doug Martin & Brandon Lafell

Now I've got an owner offering me essentially Lynch & Turbin for Martin. Considering it, but Martin feels like bigger upside in my PPR. I don't know, still mulling it over. Also considering taking a shot at Kenny Britt before he returns to the field.

Got an offer of Britt for Hillis & Donald Jones that I'm considering, but would really like to hold Hillis for now.

Users who are viewing this thread