What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
I think this is a common misconception regarding athletes. 
Stafford hasn’t personally taken home 200 million. He wants to set his kids and grandkids up for life I’m sure, plus philanthropic ventures and family. He also may have many bills for his wife’s health care. Factor in his life style. Taxes. Agent fees. Granted many of us would take whatever the net take home is in a heart beat, but I doubt he is going for a swim in his money pool every morning like Scrooge McDuck, and I imagine he would have to make some significant sacrifice of his current lifestyle to walk away from 21 million for a year 
I think that could be a common misconception for some 3rd string safety who makes 4 million for their entire career, but a 11 year #1 pick starting QB? No way. Even if he only made 40% of his income after taxes and agent fees (no idea what the real % is), all of the listed things would still be set for life and he could absolutely swim in a money pool Scrooge McDuck style. Granted, I don't know what his lifestyle is, if he is Johnny Depping it up and drinking $1,000,000 of wine a night he could obviously go broke, but with even minimal responsibility he will be set. Obviously passing up 21mil a year would impact his total networth, but he has already accrued enough for multi-generational wealth.

Wouldn't he be more likely to play if he has it now? He no longer needs to think about family considerations because there is no avoiding it (unless he is under quarantine for exposure rather than having it himself?). Assuming he does not have any lasting health issues or anything. I always liked him as a mid round QB pick with a ton of upside, but if he takes the year off I can see why. 

I think that could be a common misconception for some 3rd string safety who makes 4 million for their entire career, but a 11 year #1 pick starting QB? No way. Even if he only made 40% of his income after taxes and agent fees (no idea what the real % is), all of the listed things would still be set for life and he could absolutely swim in a money pool Scrooge McDuck style. Granted, I don't know what his lifestyle is, if he is Johnny Depping it up and drinking $1,000,000 of wine a night he could obviously go broke, but with even minimal responsibility he will be set. Obviously passing up 21mil a year would impact his total networth, but he has already accrued enough for multi-generational wealth.

Wouldn't he be more likely to play if he has it now? He no longer needs to think about family considerations because there is no avoiding it (unless he is under quarantine for exposure rather than having it himself?). Assuming he does not have any lasting health issues or anything. I always liked him as a mid round QB pick with a ton of upside, but if he takes the year off I can see why. 
I don’t blame anyone for taking a year off, but in the Not For Long league, that could be career suicide and he could stand to lose more than just 21 million, especially when you factor in endorsements. 
I just thought it was odd to suggest that if he didn’t sit out it would “be nuts” as killface said

The guy missed most of last year, pretty sure he will play if he is allowed to. He just seems like that type of guy.

Does anyone know how the players contracts work if the season is cut short. They were talking on the radio about players may opt out of the big contracts due to the uncertainty.

The example given was if someone has $5M guaranteed this year. If they opt out they will get the $5M next year. But if they play this year and the season is cut in half they only get $2.5M and that year is done. Is that at all accurate?

Lions activated QB Matthew Stafford from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Stafford never actually had the coronavirus, with the Lions going to elaborate pains in their statement to emphasize their quarterback was the victim of a false positive. Annoying, but no harm, no foul, especially at this stage of training camp. Stafford still has plenty of time to get conditioned for Week 1. 

Aug 4, 2020, 3:52 PM ET

Lions activated QB Matthew Stafford from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Stafford never actually had the coronavirus, with the Lions going to elaborate pains in their statement to emphasize their quarterback was the victim of a false positive. Annoying, but no harm, no foul, especially at this stage of training camp. Stafford still has plenty of time to get conditioned for Week 1. 

Aug 4, 2020, 3:52 PM ET
I'm confused.  I thought he opted out for 2020?  Whether he has covid or not is not always the reason for opting out.  Some players have other reasons, that may be covid related, but also family related.  Did he opt out because he thought he had it and is now saying he is not opting out?

I'm confused.  I thought he opted out for 2020?  Whether he has covid or not is not always the reason for opting out.  Some players have other reasons, that may be covid related, but also family related.  Did he opt out because he thought he had it and is now saying he is not opting out?
No. Never opted out. You are confused. 

2020 Fantasy Football: Using advanced metrics to identify five situations worth your attention

Excerpt:

3 - The Detroit Lions’ vertical passing game

It was a hire that was met with some derision but Darrell Bevell brought one clear change to the Detroit offense in his first season on the job. The biggest difference between the Lions of 2019 and the previous iterations: They were throwing the ball and they were doing it extremely well when Matthew Stafford was on the field.

In the first nine weeks of the season, Stafford was completely on fire as a vertical passer. Detroit led the NFL in yards per completion (13.4) while trailing only the deep-passing-addicted Bucs in air yards per completion (8.6). 

To put that in context with how different that was from the previous coaching staff’s approach, Stafford posted 1,759 completed air yards when he played a full 16 game season in 2018.

Last year, he checked in with 1,609 in just eight starts.

If the Lions get right back to throwing deep as often and as effectively as they did under Stafford’s watch ... we’ve probably underestimated this offense. In this scenario, Kenny Golladay can meet his aggressive ADP, T.J. Hockenson (TE15) will look like a complete steal, Stafford will push for a top-10 finish, Marvin Jones will have an awesome weekly ceiling and someone out of this backfield will tempt you every week.

I’m all in on Stafford this year. If he stays healthy he will drastically outperform his ADP. Realizing that you shouldn’t just double someone’s first half stars, he was on pace for 4,998/38/10 last year. In a new offense. Their defense sucks and will need to score points to have a chance at winning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m all in on Stafford this year. If he stays healthy he will drastically outperform his ADP. Realizing that you shouldn’t just double someone’s first half stars, he was on pace for 4,998/38/10 last year. In a new offense. Their defense sucks and will need to score points to have a chance at winning. 
I’m all in.   He’s my QB since I waited a long time to draft a QB.   As you point out, he should do well due to that D.  The Lions will be trying to score with the passing game and not protecting leads with a run game.   Stafford has decent weapons to round out a good situation for FF.   

I've got him in both my leagues.....seemed like most of my league mates are down on him.....i think I reached a bit based on that, but I'm ok with it.

I've got him in both my leagues.....seemed like most of my league mates are down on him.....i think I reached a bit based on that, but I'm ok with it.
Don’t know where you got him, so tough to say if you reached. He’s my back-up in one league, and my primary in two. Where I have him as a primary, the only guy that I passed over in terms of consensus ranking was Josh Allen.  Both leagues are 6pt PaTD leagues and one has bonus points for long TDs. No brainer for me.

Don’t know where you got him, so tough to say if you reached. He’s my back-up in one league, and my primary in two. Where I have him as a primary, the only guy that I passed over in terms of consensus ranking was Josh Allen.  Both leagues are 6pt PaTD leagues and one has bonus points for long TDs. No brainer for me.
Yea Allen, Roethlispuker, Matty Ice, Rodgers, Brady, Brees.......I took Staff over all those guys.....I'm good with it

Yea Allen, Roethlispuker, Matty Ice, Rodgers, Brady, Brees.......I took Staff over all those guys.....I'm good with it
The only one even close for me there is Ryan, who was consistently going before Stafford in my leagues. Enjoy and good luck. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Lions restructured QB Matthew Stafford's contract.

Detroit converted his $7.8 million base salary into a signing bonus.The move guarantees that Stafford gets that money if any games are canceled this year while providing the Lions with some cap relief. Stafford, 32 years old, is currently under contract through the 2023 season. The Lions have a comfortable amount of cap space over the next few years so there's no reason to expect Stafford won't play through 2023 while looking for an extension from Detroit.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 13, 2020, 11:09 AM ET

Matthew Stafford completed 24-of-42 passes for 297 yards with a touchdown and an interception in Week 1 against Chicago.

This was a fourth quarter collapse from Stafford, who forced a pass to Marvin Jones late that was intercepted and let Chicago back in the game. Stafford did enough to put the Lions in position to win after that, but D'Andre Swift dropped a touchdown in the end-zone.  Stafford's only TD was a goal-line throw to T.J. Hockenson. He added 23 yards on five carries that helped salvage his day. Stafford was playing without Kenny Golladay and Danny Amendola (hamstring) was at less than 100 percent. He'll remain a QB2 for a Week 2 matchup against the Packers.

- Rotoworld

I sincerely hope Detroit moves on from Stafford in the next 1-3 years. He's a quality QB and a really decent person. Stellar face of the franchise kind of guy, stands up there in the presser every week and never says the wrong thing. Great attitude and a good leader.

He deserves to finish his career with a franchise that gives him a realistic chance at getting a ring.

Stafford won’t be 33 until February. Obviously there is some legitimate concern about his health after two straight years of back issues but he’s tough as nails. 8.5 seasons of consecutive starts (6th all-time) before they shut him down last year.

Somebody trading for him in the next year or two should see 4-6 more productive seasons. 80K yards and 500 TDs would be a Tarkenton career if he doesn’t get out of Motown.

I'm a big Stafford fan.  I have him in both leagues and wanted to pair him with Golladay, who I missed out on in both......I hope he lights it up.....the sooner Golladay gets back, the better.....should be 1-0

I'm a big Stafford fan.  I have him in both leagues and wanted to pair him with Golladay, who I missed out on in both......I hope he lights it up.....the sooner Golladay gets back, the better.....should be 1-0
Great minds...   I did pair the two but obviously that hasn’t worked out just yet.  I hope the Lions keep Golladay out as long as it takes for him to start his season healthy.  

Matthew Stafford completed 20-of-33 passes for 244 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in the Lions' Week 2 loss to the Packers.

The Lions lacked energy and a plan on both sides of the ball while Aaron Jones steamrolled for three touchdowns and 200+ yards. It's worth questioning what coach Matt Patricia brings to the organization. Stafford himself looked fine aside from his second-half pick six on an out route. He's also been working without his top receiver Kenny Golladay through two games. When Golladay is back, Stafford is a candidate for 300+ yards in most matchups. Hopefully that's the case in Week 3 when Detroit travels to Arizona for a fast-paced match against the Cardinals. Stafford will be a top-12 fantasy option with or without Golladay then.

- Rotoworld

Matthew Stafford completed 22-of-31 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns in the Lions' 26-23, Week 3 win over the Cardinals. 

With Kenny Golladay finally back in the lineup, the Lions notched their first victory. Today was also Stafford's first start of 2020 without a turnover. He found Golladay for a team-leading 6/57/1. Stafford spent the second half working his connection with T.J. Hockenson, and nearly had a 54-yard touchdown strike to Marvin Hall. Instead, Hall was ruled down at the one-yard line before the play was called back altogether by holding. Stafford's non-Golladay score went to Jesse James. Coach Matt Patricia is trying hard to establish the run — Adrian Peterson had 22 carries this afternoon — but Golladay's healthy return greatly enhances Stafford's fantasy outlook. The struggling Saints are an unpredictable Week 4 matchup. 

Sep 27, 2020, 7:25 PM ET

Matthew Stafford completed just 17-of-31 passes for 206 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Lions' 35-29, Week 4 loss to the Saints.

The Saints were playing without their top two corners in Marshon Lattimore and Janoris Jenkins, who were both out with injuries. Completing just 54.8% of his throws at 6.6 yards per attempt is pretty disappointing for Stafford considering the losses of those two. The Lions jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead on the back of D'Andre Swift and Kenny Golladay touchdown catches sandwiched around a Drew Brees interception, but it was all Saints after that with 35 straight points. Stafford's third touchdown was a goal-liner to T.J. Hockenson after Marvin Jones drew a long pass interference call. Stafford has three-straight multi-touchdown games but has yet to top 300 yards this season. The Lions have their bye ahead of a Week 6 date with the Jaguars.

- Rotoworld

Anybody else think Stafford is a great buy low option considering that he now has Golladay back and healthy?  Let’s not forget that he was near elite last year when healthy and has quite an easy schedule over the next several weeks.

Anybody else think Stafford is a great buy low option considering that he now has Golladay back and healthy?  Let’s not forget that he was near elite last year when healthy and has quite an easy schedule over the next several weeks.
Yes. I think he's being severely undervalued right now.

I had a weird dream last night that the Lions front office hired me and my first job was to sit Matthew Stafford down after practice and tell him he's been traded.  He was quite happy about it actually.  Weird stuff.  Just thought I'd let everyone know.

As much as I hate the lions, this is their m.o.  Suck for a few games and then show flashes that gets fans back on the bandwagon. And then go back to sucking when it counts toward playoff time. But these next couple games figure as that middle part.

very questionable decision making in the RZ this year

IDK seems like a few years ago he was being unfairly criticized locally - he's never been their biggest problem

rn it's so obvious the team is going in the wrong direction (and he did play well for half a season in 2019) he's being given a pass

they have to get MJJ going and while the production has been VG I don't understand why Hock is still only seeing 4-5 targets a week

the next couple games will confirm they are headed nowhere, hope to see a lot of TJ and an increased workload for Swift in the second half of the season

fantasy wise I don't think Bevell will ever take him back to the volume stat stuffer he once was, and his efficiency is not as good since JBC left - still a FF high end QB2 in my mind

fantasy wise I don't think Bevell will ever take him back to the volume stat stuffer he once was, and his efficiency is not as good since JBC left - still a FF high end QB2 in my mind
His 8-game season last year, prorated, would have been on track for his best fantasy season since 2011 (arguably his best ever depending on your scoring system).

His 8-game season last year, prorated, would have been on track for his best fantasy season since 2011 (arguably his best ever depending on your scoring system).
Indeed, was playing at an MVP level

Though leading every game and going 3-4-1 probably isn't the stuff MVPs are made of, he was at a high level

But I'm just not a fan of Darrell Bevell in general; probably a reflection of my overall frustration with the Quinn/Patricia era

It is maddening to all Lions fans they sunk so much capital into the draft at RB (questionable strategy) and then sign a 35-year old off the street in the last week of camp who is better than anyone they had on the roster

All that said, logically they should be playing from behind enough to make Stafford a decent play. Just keep in mind that hasn't been the reality at all. The Lions have lost 12/13 and led in all of them except once. They have blown six straight games in which they had double digit leads (three this season.) So unless those patterns change, don't expect Blake Bortles circa 2015 - behind every week, throwing for 350+ with 3-5 passing TDs.

In last 16 starts, Matthew standard stats are 4,207 yards with 30-8 TD/INT. Pretty much the same thing he has been most of his career - rarely in the top 5 conversation, probably top third with plenty of weeks where he'll be middle of the pack.

Indeed, was playing at an MVP level

Though leading every game and going 3-4-1 probably isn't the stuff MVPs are made of, he was at a high level

But I'm just not a fan of Darrell Bevell in general; probably a reflection of my overall frustration with the Quinn/Patricia era

It is maddening to all Lions fans they sunk so much capital into the draft at RB (questionable strategy) and then sign a 35-year old off the street in the last week of camp who is better than anyone they had on the roster

All that said, logically they should be playing from behind enough to make Stafford a decent play. Just keep in mind that hasn't been the reality at all. The Lions have lost 12/13 and led in all of them except once. They have blown six straight games in which they had double digit leads (three this season.) So unless those patterns change, don't expect Blake Bortles circa 2015 - behind every week, throwing for 350+ with 3-5 passing TDs.

In last 16 starts, Matthew standard stats are 4,207 yards with 30-8 TD/INT. Pretty much the same thing he has been most of his career - rarely in the top 5 conversation, probably top third with plenty of weeks where he'll be middle of the pack.
At no point was I suggesting that the Lions or good.  Or that Stafford is elite.

As a Green Bay fan, the status quo in Detroit is great.

Users who are viewing this thread