What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could we organize a meaningful NFL Fan Strike? (1 Viewer)

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
Obviously everyone's aware of the controversy surrounding the replacement refs. That's being discussed endlessly in other threads so let's not do that here. For the purposes of this thread let's just assume that there's something about the NFL we're all mad about and we want to let the NFL know.

It's clear the owners are not easily embarrassed and will probably only concede when it starts affecting their bottom line.

Would it be possible to fire up some kind of viral campaign to send a useful message to the owners? I don't expect anyone to not attend games they have tickets to, or to not watch football at all, or anything like that. There's no way enough people would go along with it for it to work, so in reality you'd just be depriving yourself. But what if we tried something like: On Sunday, October 14, we all pledge to turn off our TVs from 1-2 pm ET. If you're going to a game, go. If you want to watch football on TV, watch it all day, except for that first hour. Take that extra hour to play with your kids or do some much-needed yardwork, or whatever. Just see if we could create a meaningful dip in TV ratings for one hour on a Sunday.

1) Do you think it would be possible in reality to pull this off? With social media, etc. I think it would be easy to quickly spread the word, but with the grip NFL football has on this nation would it be possible to really get enough people committed to create an actual effect?

2) Do you think it would serve a purpose? If we, as fans, somehow made 1-2 pm the lowest-rated hour of NFL football in years, would that send a strong enough message to the owners that we've had enough, strong enough for them to actually change their stance? Or would it just be a blip they shrugged off?

#NFLFanStrike :shrug:

1) Do you think it would be possible in reality to pull this off? With social media, etc. I think it would be easy to quickly spread the word, but with the grip NFL football has on this nation would it be possible to really get enough people committed to create an actual effect?

2) Do you think it would serve a purpose? If we, as fans, somehow made 1-2 pm the lowest-rated hour of NFL football in years, would that send a strong enough message to the owners that we've had enough, strong enough for them to actually change their stance? Or would it just be a blip they shrugged off?

That's the problem with a strike, right there. There simply aren't enough fans who are willing to turn off the TV, stop buying merchandise and Sunday Ticket subscriptions over the quality of the officiating. They'll be happy to share your links on FB and Twitter, but that's about it. Most fans already thought the refs sucked to begin with, so what's the difference now? As a longtime Cowboys fan, I can't tell you how many games I've seen over the years that were won and lost by a bad call or non-call over the years. It's a fact of life as a football fan. People are overreacting like last night's bad call was the first time this ever happened in history, which is pretty silly.

There simply aren't enough fans who are willing to turn off the TV, stop buying merchandise and Sunday Ticket subscriptions over the quality of the officiating. They'll be happy to share your links on FB and Twitter, but that's about it.
Please re-read my proposal. I'm not suggesting anyone stop buying merchandise and Sunday Ticket subscriptions. I'm not asking anyone to stop watching football completely, or to even sit out a single game. Just one hour. Do you still think it would be impossible to get enough people to turn off just the first hour of the early games on one Sunday in October?

There simply aren't enough fans who are willing to turn off the TV, stop buying merchandise and Sunday Ticket subscriptions over the quality of the officiating. They'll be happy to share your links on FB and Twitter, but that's about it.
Please re-read my proposal. I'm not suggesting anyone stop buying merchandise and Sunday Ticket subscriptions. I'm not asking anyone to stop watching football completely, or to even sit out a single game. Just one hour. Do you still think it would be impossible to get enough people to turn off just the first hour of the early games on one Sunday in October?
I'd be in depending on when the Cowboys play that day

I'd be in depending on when the Cowboys play that day
IN unless it's the Panthers or my first chance to see RG3 or a game involving one of the fantasy players on my 10+ teams or a game I'm gambling on.

I want Rodger Goodell to pay for the Old refs pension plan out of his own pocket. He make 20 million per year.

It would only matter if it were the people going to the stadiums. If Fans could organize some kind of first quarter strike so that the stadium was very empty for the first quarter that would be a visual that would mean something. Heck it wouldn't even have to be the entire first quarter - kickoff and the first drive and then take your seat.

It would only matter if it were the people going to the stadiums. If Fans could organize some kind of first quarter strike so that the stadium was very empty for the first quarter that would be a visual that would mean something. Heck it wouldn't even have to be the entire first quarter - kickoff and the first drive and then take your seat.
That's pretty much the norm here in Carolina.

The NFL and the owners have already collected the money from those tickets... they could care less if there is a butt in that seat for any portion of the game or not. And since the seats are all sold (for most NFL towns - sorry Jacksonville) the game will be broadcast locally and so the TV stations could care less if there is a butt in that seat. So no the fans have even less leverage on the NFL than the referee's union...

Obviously everyone's aware of the controversy surrounding the replacement refs. That's being discussed endlessly in other threads so let's not do that here.
Bump for those weighing in with opinions on the replacement refs.I'm really just interested, in general, if it's possible to pull something like this off to meaningful effect. I want this to be about "could we," not "should we."Personally I don't think it's possible, but I'm curious if the power of social media combined with a relatively minimal sacrifice (one hour of TV) could really get something like this off the ground.

Short answer: No

Long answer: If learning about the serious brain damage in retired players wasn't enough to get people to turn off the NFL, a few (highly entertaining) ref goof ups aren't going to do it either.

I don't mind the replacement refs. And I enjoy all the controversy!
So you won't complain later when your team gets robbed. I am Viking fan and I was rooting against the Packers last night but I know what goes around comes around. My team could be the victim of a game deciding bad call next week.

t would only matter if it were the people going to the stadiums. If Fans could organize some kind of first quarter strike so that the stadium was very empty for the first quarter that would be a visual that would mean something. Heck it wouldn't even have to be the entire first quarter - kickoff and the first drive and then take your seat.
This is the problem.Americans are addicted to football.It's like telling a crack head to stop doing crack.I really don't think the owners would really care about 1 quarter of a visual effect.Now, if this Monday night in Dallas 7,563 people showed up all night, and instead of 15 million viewers there were 876,000 that would be effective.The loss of revenue in concessions and TV ratings would be something a guys like Jerry Jones would listen to...but IMO doing something...anything for 1 quarter is just like a baby throwing a tantrum.The owners know our addictions and decide accordingly.

Last night's game was one of the most entertaining things I've seen on TV in awhile. No way I stop watching.

Short answer: NoLong answer: If learning about the serious brain damage in retired players wasn't enough to get people to turn off the NFL, a few (highly entertaining) ref goof ups aren't going to do it either.
I agree with the sentiment but sadly, I think you might be wrong about this. Most people are less interested in retired players who are now suffering from brain damage, and more interested in "goof ups" that mess with the outcomes of games. The former is easy to put in the back of your mind; the latter is what we're all watching live, what affects our fantasy football outcomes and the millions of dollars of bets placed in Vegas, etc. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people were more outraged over the immediate impact of the replacement refs than the long-term health effects of the game.

How about not watching this week's Thursday Night game. The Thursday Night games are crap anyway and this week's Browns-Ravens game is not exactly a thriller.

Would be nice to make a big dent in the ratings. To be honest, even the threat of organizing something like this would get bigtime media coverage, as the reporters know the games are a joke and are eager to support anything that would make the NFL look even worse.

OK, the URL NFLfanstrike.com is available. If you register that, create an online petition and get a Facebook page going, and launch something on Twitter like #NFLFanstrike, you would have enough action going by the end of the day to get media coverage.

The whole thing could revolve around not watching the Thursday Night game.

You probably wouldn't actually make a difference, but it might be fun. Not going to do it myself though, since I'm a Ravens fan and will be watching the game!

Luckily I paid for Sunday Ticket (sports package) by the month.

Called this morning and cancelled commencing October 6th. Up in the Great White North, we have a propensity to strike or boycott, especially out in Quebec (education fees the most recent example)

DO I expect any majority of Cdn NFL fans to cancel subscriptions or do anything meaningful? No. The NFL is a luxury.

But if enough people grew a set of nuts and just did something simple like cancel the Ticket (which I really didnt want in the first place), there'd at least be a small dent made in revenue.

Stream your games homies. Sure the video quality ain't great, but it's a perfect compliment to the piss poor quality of the games we're watching anyways.

I'm going to borrow a page from Aristophanes and call for a sex strike. Starting now, I refuse to have sex with my wife until the NFL brings back the regular refs. That'll show 'em.

OK, the URL NFLfanstrike.com is available. If you register that, create an online petition and get a Facebook page going, and launch something on Twitter like #NFLFanstrike, you would have enough action going by the end of the day to get media coverage.The whole thing could revolve around not watching the Thursday Night game.You probably wouldn't actually make a difference, but it might be fun. Not going to do it myself though, since I'm a Ravens fan and will be watching the game!
armchair revolutionists... :rolleyes:

No. I don't think so.

Complaining to the NFL will do nothing in my opinion. The only way things will change is if advertisers start pulling their ads. You want to have an impact? That's where you direct your energy.

Ok, I'm with you. Here's my thoughts:

1)Make it a boycott of one game. As much as some people would be willing to go along with a full out boycott, the idea of getting the collective hive to sit out all the games is hopeless. However, if you limit it to one game, then you at least can get everyone who is not a fan of those teams to think about it.

2)Make it a boycott of this week's MNF because it happens to include the Cowboys, so you have the opportunity to boycott a team owner who is about as vocal and influential as owners can be.

3)Its short notice, but timing is important PLUS, if you wait, you actually give people more time to waffle on it. Also, October is usually breast cancer awareness month and the NFL supports that so you don't want to take away from an otherwise very good cause and publicity PLUS you would be fighting against people that normally are casual fans at best to start with and they are coming along just for the support. So that would be a fight you don't want.

4)Get the info out. Start right here. Ask peope to Tweet and Facebook and SET CLEAR GUIDELINES.

Say something to the effect of:

-The boycott is for ONE game.

-THIS GAME.

-NOT asking people to not go. Asking them to stay out of their seats until end of 1st quarter. Force a national broadcast showing that big old stadium empty.

-Ask for people to contact you that have tickets to bring signs that say Bring back the refs (and leave them in the seats during the 1st quarter).

Regarding concessions sales: I hate to see hard working people lose money and this is a livelihood for many. Asking people not to buy concessions during the game or 1st quarter would be tremendously effective but would also put you at odds with innicent "messengers". Have to ponder if that is worth it.

-Ask everyone watching it on TV to tune in to SEE the effect, then turn off the TV until the 2nd quarter.

Start your posting with the headline "Its time for the fans to be the ones "locking out" what is not acceptable."

#LockouttheNFL#

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I don't think so. Complaining to the NFL will do nothing in my opinion. The only way things will change is if advertisers start pulling their ads. You want to have an impact? That's where you direct your energy.
Isn't that what I'm suggesting? I didn't say anything about complaining to the NFL. We collectively show our power to drastically alter the TV ratings, which will get the attention of advertisers, which will ultimately hit the owners where it hurts (their pockets).

I'm going to borrow a page from Aristophanes and call for a sex strike. Starting now, I refuse to have sex with my wife until the NFL brings back the regular refs. That'll show 'em.
I dunno, I think we need an alliance with the King of the Birds. He can send his flocks to block all the satellite feeds and starve the NFL into submission.

The NFL and the owners have already collected the money from those tickets... they could care less if there is a butt in that seat for any portion of the game or not. And since the seats are all sold (for most NFL towns - sorry Jacksonville) the game will be broadcast locally and so the TV stations could care less if there is a butt in that seat.

So no the fans have even less leverage on the NFL than the referee's union

I'm a NEP season ticket and have been for about 20 years. The tickets are bought and paid for in March/April. But owners make millions on game day on food, beer, hats, t-shirts and the like. So go to the game and just don't purchase anything. Tailgate before and after the game and don't purchase ANYTHING. Going rate for a beer is $8 bucks @ 68,000 fans and while everyone doesn't have one those that do are doing 2 or 3 so at least $500,000 there alone. 16 home teams so $8,000,000. Add up all the other stuff and NFL could easily be on the hook for $16,000,000. I'm thinking they would take notice...

1)Make it a boycott of one game. As much as some people would be willing to go along with a full out boycott, the idea of getting the collective hive to sit out all the games is hopeless. However, if you limit it to one game, then you at least can get everyone who is not a fan of those teams to think about it.

2)Make it a boycott of this week's MNF because it happens to include the Cowboys, so you have the opportunity to boycott a team owner who is about as vocal and influential as owners can be.

3)Its short notice, but timing is important PLUS, if you wait, you actually give people more time to waffle on it. Also, October is usually breast cancer awareness month and the NFL supports that so you don't want to take away from an otherwise very good cause and publicity PLUS you would be fighting against people that normally are casual fans at best to start with and they are coming along just for the support. So that would be a fight you don't want.

4)Get the info out. Start right here. Ask peope to Tweet and Facebook and SET CLEAR GUIDELINES.

-THIS GAME.

-NOT asking people to not go. Asking them to stay out of their seats until end of 1st quarter. Force a national broadcast showing that big old stadium empty.

-Ask for people to contact you that have tickets to bring signs that say Bring back the refs (and leave them in the seats during the 1st quarter).

Regarding concessions sales: I hate to see hard working people lose money and this is a livelihood for many. Asking people not to buy concessions during the game or 1st quarter would be tremendously effective but would also put you at odds with innicent "messengers". Have to ponder if that is worth it.

-Ask everyone watching it on TV to tune in to SEE the effect, then turn off the TV until the 2nd quarter.

Start your posting with the headline "Its time for the fans to be the ones "locking" out what is not acceptable."
meh, don't buy gas THIS Monday....ok, but i will buy it when i do need it...on Tuesday.it's not hurting/effecting anyone.

To make any actual impact people have to sacrifice something. We are too lazy and addicted to do either.

I mean, look we allow them to charge us THOUSANDS of dollars just for the privilege to buy your season tickets.

-THIS GAME.

Start your posting with the headline "Its time for the fans to be the ones "locking" out what is not acceptable."
meh, don't buy gas THIS Monday....ok, but i will buy it when i do need it...on Tuesday.it's not hurting/effecting anyone.

To make any actual impact people have to sacrifice something. We are too lazy and addicted to do either.

I mean, look we allow them to charge us THOUSANDS of dollars just for the privilege to buy your season tickets.
I think you underestimate what a focussed group can accomplish. It really surprises me to see so many people just giving a sentence of "We can't...we are too weak". Really glad we weren't the ones living in America during the revolution.We CAN make an impact. With the access to socail media these days, we can do it easier than any movement in time. The word can be spread from coast to coast in hours and be saturated by tomorrow morning. We start here and we say (whether we are bluffing or not...TBD), that this is the warning shot. If its not fixed next week, we crank it out to a half, then a game, then multiple games. I think people might be seriously underestimating what a blank television set means. TV shows get CANCELLED for dropping in ratings for 3 weeks in a row. The advertising dries up. We won't kill the NFL (and don't want to), but we CAN make them listen. If we really want to.

The NFL and the owners have already collected the money from those tickets... they could care less if there is a butt in that seat for any portion of the game or not. And since the seats are all sold (for most NFL towns - sorry Jacksonville) the game will be broadcast locally and so the TV stations could care less if there is a butt in that seat. So no the fans have even less leverage on the NFL than the referee's unionI'm a NEP season ticket and have been for about 20 years. The tickets are bought and paid for in March/April. But owners make millions on game day on food, beer, hats, t-shirts and the like. So go to the game and just don't purchase anything. Tailgate before and after the game and don't purchase ANYTHING. Going rate for a beer is $8 bucks @ 68,000 fans and while everyone doesn't have one those that do are doing 2 or 3 so at least $500,000 there alone. 16 home teams so $8,000,000. Add up all the other stuff and NFL could easily be on the hook for $16,000,000. I'm thinking they would take notice...
Your point about not buying ANYTHING is a good one. It impacts workig people drastically, but it IS very impactful to the NFL as well. But the point about them not caring about people in the seats since tickets are already bought; I think you are mistaken. The NFL is ALL about image and an empty stadium being nationally televised would make some people cringe.

No. I don't think so. Complaining to the NFL will do nothing in my opinion. The only way things will change is if advertisers start pulling their ads. You want to have an impact? That's where you direct your energy.
Isn't that what I'm suggesting? I didn't say anything about complaining to the NFL. We collectively show our power to drastically alter the TV ratings, which will get the attention of advertisers, which will ultimately hit the owners where it hurts (their pockets).
Okay. I still say no. I don't think you can get people to stop watching. I think that most saying they will turn it off are lying. They still want to see their fantasy rosters perform. I think the NFL is holding all the cards. They have the drug that we are all addicted to. Just my opinion.

I don't expect anyone to not attend games they have tickets to, or to not watch football at all, or anything like that. There's no way enough people would go along with it for it to work, so in reality you'd just be depriving yourself.

This is the problem. You want to send a message to the NFL but are not willing (not you as in you, you as in the collective of the fans) are not willing to make the difficult decisions to actually be meaningful. Boycotting games would be a MUST if the fans really wanted to send a message. The lost revenues would drive a major spike through the owners pocket books. If the fans really want to make the owners think about things, this is not optional. Otherwise they have nothing to fear.

I think this is possible, but highly unlikely because of the dependency of fans to the NFL. That is the problem. The NFL knows they can throw out an mediocre product and get away with it. Again, it's because the fans would never take the hard steps to actually have an impact.

This would not serve any purpose IMO. The owners care about money and this wouldn't put a dent in their cash flow.

The ironey of it all is the fans are just as guilty as the owners in this situation you layed out. The owners are unwilling to make the tough decisions to respect the integrety of the game and the fans are unwilling to make the tough decisions to make the owners feel bad about it. They won't change because nobody has enough balls to make them.

It was killing me last night to see those horrible calls since I am a Packer fan. I actually thought the worst call was on the previous drive when Sidney Rice mugged the Packers defender and they called PI on the Green Bay defender.

What puts me in a real tight spot is that I don't side with the refs and don't want to see them given everything they want.

I'm not sure what the fix is but they need to somehow find a way to get improvement in officiating. I don't know if this means bring in extra officials, getting a knowledgeable overseeer at each game or what? The body of work has been brutal.

It was killing me last night to see those horrible calls since I am a Packer fan. I actually thought the worst call was on the previous drive when Sidney Rice mugged the Packers defender and they called PI on the Green Bay defender.

What puts me in a real tight spot is that I don't side with the refs and don't want to see them given everything they want.

I'm not sure what the fix is but they need to somehow find a way to get improvement in officiating. I don't know if this means bring in extra officials, getting a knowledgeable overseeer at each game or what? The body of work has been brutal.
The fix is to just go ahead and let all the original officials go so they can bring in the real replacements.The only reason these D3 and high school refs are filling in is because the better college refs are blocked by the NFL refs while they're locked out. That block ends when they actually get rid of the regular refs and we can get things going with real replacements, some of them working full-time.

You guys are like a bunch of Gary Johnson voters, your efforts are futile. Its all about having more money and power and the NFL thinks the refs are cutting into theirs. The NFL will win the battle most of the time because the fan base is addicted to their product. Unless some player dies and its tied to refs not calling anything, the NFL will be getting what they want out of this and they don't care how many letters you send them.

Not trying to be an ### here, but this is just how stuff works when you are the big swinging **** in the room.

The thing is, organizing a bunch of people to not watch the game doesn't actually effect the viewers at all. Even if you can get 1 million people to not watch MNF. The ratings likely still remain the same. If none of those 1 million are people with Nielsen ratings boxes in their homes it means nothing. Now if people have Nielsen boxes and are aware of this fact (They should be) then organizing about 1,000 Nielsen box owners to not watch the games would have an enormous impact.

Here's what would happen.

You would get maybe 200 people to agree to this boycott. The total amount that each NFL owner would be out for you not watching that hour would be somewhere along the lines of one tenth of one penny.

And of those 200, about 170 of them would back out at the last minute and watch the hour anyways.

'LAUNCH said:
The solution could be easy. You can't get enough people to stop watching football, but you can impact the most important group and that is the sponsors.http://www.facebook.com/groups/202054939927450/?ref=tsWith enough people, the sponsors could be the one's to light the fire. I doubt it, but couldn't hurt.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If everybody refuses to buy anything they see in a commercial in an NFL game, and are vocal about it then they will start pulling advertising dollars. If Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, et. al start seeing numbers go down, in what I'd imagine is a pretty consistent revenue pattern they will do something about it. I'm sure other brands would notice a change, too, if this sort of thing catches on.#BoycottNFLAdvertisers

'LAUNCH said:
The solution could be easy. You can't get enough people to stop watching football, but you can impact the most important group and that is the sponsors.http://www.facebook.com/groups/202054939927450/?ref=tsWith enough people, the sponsors could be the one's to light the fire. I doubt it, but couldn't hurt.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If everybody refuses to buy anything they see in a commercial in an NFL game, and are vocal about it then they will start pulling advertising dollars. If Pizza Hut and Papa Johns, et. al start seeing numbers go down, in what I'd imagine is a pretty consistent revenue pattern they will do something about it. I'm sure other brands would notice a change, too, if this sort of thing catches on.#BoycottNFLAdvertisers
I still don't think it makes enough impact. The only real way is to boycott games.

'LAUNCH said:
I still don't think it makes enough impact. The only real way is to boycott games.
That would be more effective, but it's much less achievable. People still want to watch their team, so most won't boycott the product itself. It's a lot easier to order pizza from a non-sponsor, or put off buying that new Ford/Dodge/Hyundai for another month or so.

'LAUNCH said:
That would be more effective, but it's much less achievable. People still want to watch their team, so most won't boycott the product itself. It's a lot easier to order pizza from a non-sponsor, or put off buying that new Ford/Dodge/Hyundai for another month or so.
The NFL will just strong arm those companies as well. Their attitude would be "So, you don't want to support us through this bump? We'll remember that next time we are looking for adverstiments. You know the line at the door is pretty extensive. Try not to let it hit you on the way out."

Users who are viewing this thread