What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

Like I said he'd make a good TE or H-Back. Physical skills are there...
Cuz you've seen him catch passes and block before? Those are the skills required for those positions.Repeating your ignorance only makes you look worse.
We've all seen him play quarterback and its not working. His ego is too big to change positions though so he'll end up in the trash with Tebow.There have been 100's of success stories of players changing positions. He is not getting it done, just face it. Is he your cousin, why so defensive? Especially if he loses his mobility, he's worthless. And it's a message board, not concerned about fitting in, just speaking my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cuz you've seen him catch passes and block before? Those are the skills required for those positions.Repeating your ignorance only makes you look worse.
We've all seen him play quarterback and its not working. His ego is too big to change positions though so he'll end up in the trash with Tebow.There have been 100's of success stories of players changing positions. He is not getting it done, just face it. Is he your cousin, why so defensive? Especially if he loses his mobility, he's worthless. And it's a message board, not concerned about fitting in, just speaking my mind.
I would say he was getting it done earlier in the season, with room for improvement. Of course he's worthless if he loses his mobility, but he's injured, what do you want him to do? You're going to penalise him because he's injured?

I would say he was getting it done earlier in the season, with room for improvement. Of course he's worthless if he loses his mobility, but he's injured, what do you want him to do? You're going to penalise him because he's injured?
I'm saying you take away his running ability he's worthless. He can't make his living in the pocket, so that makes it difficult to trust him moving forward, he relies on the dual threat. He is going to continue to get dinged up if he runs...So its a vicious cycle. Peyton and other QBs can sit in the pocket and be productive on 2 stumps...

Gvindy said:
Cheesedawg said:
Do you give up on every prospect after their eighth start?

Gvindy said:
Cheesedawg said:
Do you give up on every prospect after their eighth start?
He has never been a great pocket passer all the way back to college. There have been warnings from all sorts of experts, past players, coaches, he needs alot of development and is maybe beyond help. Good luck to the supporters, I just don't see it with him. I realize the bar has been raised on QB's now, expectations are that they will assimilate quickly, and maybe that is too much to expect. But, what, 1 TD passing and 8 INT in the past 4? Thats pretty bad. Look at guys like Keenum and Foles, coming in lighting it up. Didn't take but a few bad games for Schaub (and ok an injury-which may be overblown) and he was out, that's the culture we live in, quick results. As a fan I would give him this year, but if this play keeps up it would be unacceptable if he can't turn it around. I've heard Raider fans chime in, they're not all happy with him. So in short no I don't give up on every prospect this fast, but if you take his background into account, there is reason to believe he will continue sucking at the NFL version of a QB. Imagine that Al Davis made a bad pick?And with all this said maybe a simple offensive redesign would improve matters. Interested to see what happens...

Gvindy said:
Can you give us a link to the 100's of success stories of players that changed positions in the NFL? Will you also be providing a link to the 1000's of stories of players that have unsuccessfully changed positions in the NFL?

Gvindy said:
We've all seen him play quarterback and its not working. His ego is too big to change positions though so he'll end up in the trash with Tebow.

There have been 100's of success stories of players changing positions. He is not getting it done, just face it. Is he your cousin, why so defensive? Especially if he loses his mobility, he's worthless. And it's a message board, not concerned about fitting in, just speaking my mind.
Can you give us a link to the 100's of success stories of players that changed positions in the NFL? Will you also be providing a link to the 1000's of stories of players that have unsuccessfully changed positions in the NFL?
Well of course there have been more failures, there are only a small percentage of players from college that are successful period. Dude just sucks at passing though, but he has elite physical skills. Tell me Pryor hasn't regressed. Either he switches it up or he's out of the league or riding pine in a couple years. Just bringing up alternatives. I like his speed, agility and work ethic. I think he could be successful with some work. If Raider fans are fine with mediocrity, have at it, keep him in there... Look at all the tight ends that are coming into the league and succeeding with minimal time at the position...It's not out of the question.FYI Julius Peppers played running back in HS, Jim brown played linebacker, Jim Thorpe-every skill position, Hines Ward-QB, RB, Antonio Gates-LB,Joe Thomas-TE, Vernon Davis-WR and Safety, Dante Hall-RB, Jason Peters-TE, Jeff Hostetler- LB, Curtis Conway-QB, Warren Sapp- LB, TE, Jason Taylor-LB, Rod Smith-QB, Ladainian Tomlinson- LB, Lance Briggs-RB, Marvin Harrison- RB, Tony Gonzalez-LB, Otto Graham-DB, Dave Casper- OL, Jim Kelly-Linebacker,Todd Christensen- RB, Julian Edelman-QB,Jim Alstot- LB Ryan Grant-LB,antawn Randle El-QB,Kordell Stewart-WR Josh Cribbs-QB, Mike brown-QB, Tim Wright-WR just this year. There are more than you think. Granted moves along the lines are the most common...

Heres a link but most was from memory...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/245932-nfl-players-who-once-played-positions-you-might-not-expect/page/10

We need McGloin to come out and have a clean game with a win so as to make Oak. WR relevant again. That being said, I am hedging that bet by starting the HOU D against him.

Gvindy said:
Ashem said:
Gvindy said:
We've all seen him play quarterback and its not working. His ego is too big to change positions though so he'll end up in the trash with Tebow.

There have been 100's of success stories of players changing positions. He is not getting it done, just face it. Is he your cousin, why so defensive? Especially if he loses his mobility, he's worthless. And it's a message board, not concerned about fitting in, just speaking my mind.
Well of course there have been more failures, there are only a small percentage of players from college that are successful period. Dude just sucks at passing though, but he has elite physical skills. Tell me Pryor hasn't regressed. Either he switches it up or he's out of the league or riding pine in a couple years. Just bringing up alternatives. I like his speed, agility and work ethic. I think he could be successful with some work. If Raider fans are fine with mediocrity, have at it, keep him in there... Look at all the tight ends that are coming into the league and succeeding with minimal time at the position...It's not out of the question.FYI Julius Peppers played running back in HS, Jim brown played linebacker, Jim Thorpe-every skill position, Hines Ward-QB, RB, Antonio Gates-LB,Joe Thomas-TE, Vernon Davis-WR and Safety, Dante Hall-RB, Jason Peters-TE, Jeff Hostetler- LB, Curtis Conway-QB, Warren Sapp- LB, TE, Jason Taylor-LB, Rod Smith-QB, Ladainian Tomlinson- LB, Lance Briggs-RB, Marvin Harrison- RB, Tony Gonzalez-LB, Otto Graham-DB, Dave Casper- OL, Jim Kelly-Linebacker,Todd Christensen- RB, Julian Edelman-QB,Jim Alstot- LB Ryan Grant-LB,antawn Randle El-QB,Kordell Stewart-WR Josh Cribbs-QB, Mike brown-QB, Tim Wright-WR just this year. There are more than you think. Granted moves along the lines are the most common...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/245932-nfl-players-who-once-played-positions-you-might-not-expect/page/10
That's pretty good. How many changed positions once they arrived in the NFL? A great athlete can change positions in high school or college. What's Pryor going to transition to, and where will he get enough reps to be good enough to compete with guys who have been playing that position for years?

Gvindy said:
Ashem said:
Gvindy said:

That's pretty good. How many changed positions once they arrived in the NFL? A great athlete can change positions in high school or college. What's Pryor going to transition to, and where will he get enough reps to be good enough to compete with guys who have been playing that position for years?
Depends, but remember The Raiders GM McKenzie didn't pick Pryor and Raiders coaches have spoken highly of McGloin. If McGloin can protect the ball and even do a semi-good Case Keenum/ Nick Foles impersonation it might be hard for Pryor to get back on the field. I know that is still a big "if" with OAK facing the #1 Pass D today. I would just hate to see Pryors physical skills go to waste if McGloin somehow takes over, Pryor is fun to watch in the open field.. We'll see how the game goes today.

Pryor tried to play through a knee injury with a decimated O-line... Correlated with the decline in his production.

Guess my point is let's see him fully healthy and struggling with an actual NFL line before we write him off completely. Maybe I'm alone, but he's come SOOOO far throwing the ball, and the rushing ability is unquestioned.

If I'm the Raiders, I give that kid every chance before moving on...

No NFL quarterback has been more effective against the blitz, with Manning completing 63.6% of his passes in those situations (14 of 22) with four touchdowns and a passer rating of 140.5.

Surprisingly, Oakland's lightly experienced Terrelle Pryor is second on that list with a 133.5 rating when blitzed, followed by Atlanta's Matt Ryan, 130.1; Seattle's Russell Wilson, 127.8; and San Diego's Philip Rivers, 123.2. http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20130929,0,4490971.column#axzz2gF1WjCp5
Interesting article from the LA Times about how Peyton Manning carves up defenses on blitzes. A water is wet article. But what is interesting is look who rides among the elite QB's at passing rating on blitzes. Terrelle Pryor with a lofty 133.5 rating.
I'd like to see the raw stats on that because I don't think he gets blitzed much, so you're cooking up some index off a tiny sample size.

if a guy runs for 1 yard and then 39 yards, I'm not really interested that his ypc is 20.

this is just my guess, though -- he could be the most blitzed qb in football for all I know.

btw, if he starts sucking, I want credit for coining tereblle pryor
just remember where you heard it first

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Sunday's start at Houston will be "a big barometer" on whether Matt McGloin can "supplant" Terrelle Pryor as the Raiders' starting quarterback.
In other words, the Raiders aren't committed to Pryor in the least. It makes sense because Pryor has struggled so mightily over his last four starts, but also a reminder that GM Reggie McKenzie didn't pick Pryor. Al Davis did. The fact that Raiders coaches "love" McGloin also gives him a leg up, obviously depending on his performance. He's facing the NFL's No. 1 pass defense on the road.

Related: Terrelle Pryor

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

LawFitz said:
TP2 can be Cam like under the best case but he's far away from that right now.
Fully agree.

Still in Pryor's corner (tho I didn't see the last game). I think he brings a lot more tools to the table. Just needs experience...a lot more experience.

Somehow guys that supposedly weren't able to get open for Pryor are magically open for McGloin. That's 2 TDS

Just a guess here, but I'd venture to say if it ain't Pryor, the Raiders QB of the future isn't on the roster.

Been trading for Pryor in all of my dynasty leagues. He's the next big thing, people are just slow to realize it because he was an Al Davis supplemental draft pick. Most physically talented QB in the league, and he's starting to come around as a passer.
Oof.

lod01 said:
Been trading for Pryor in all of my dynasty leagues. He's the next big thing, people are just slow to realize it because he was an Al Davis supplemental draft pick. Most physically talented QB in the league, and he's starting to come around as a passer.
Oof.
I don't see an "Oof" there. In dynasty leagues he's worth a shot. He's basically learning to pass from scratch in the last two years (he's admitted to this). He hasn't been healthy recently and seems to have another pretty good QB on the team that can help the Raiders now more than he can.

He could be wrong, but it's surely not an "Oof" moment. Pryor showed flashes early in the year when healthy.

lod01 said:
Oof.
I don't see an "Oof" there. In dynasty leagues he's worth a shot. He's basically learning to pass from scratch in the last two years (he's admitted to this). He hasn't been healthy recently and seems to have another pretty good QB on the team that can help the Raiders now more than he can.

He could be wrong, but it's surely not an "Oof" moment. Pryor showed flashes early in the year when healthy.
QB's need to be able to pass.

Where does Pryor fit in dynasty now? Would McGloin be a better prospect as of today?
Difficult to determine Pryor's dynasty value at the moment. Before last week he looked to be Oakland's QB of the future, but now...

If McGloin's performance against the Texans was an outlier then Pryor will be starting again.

As a Pryor owner in several leagues I am holding him and have added McGloin to hedge my bets until I see how this plays out.

Where does Pryor fit in dynasty now? Would McGloin be a better prospect as of today?
Pryor is like a bigger faster Vince Young.

McGloin is yet to be determined. But if I was wanting a backup QB in dynasty I would take the flyer on McGloin. The problem is that if the coaching staff isn't totally sold on him and he has a stretch of bad games, Pryor will rear his ugly head again.

Still think Pryor is the QB to own in dynasty. McGloin is capable, and it's nice to see him compete in his backup role. There was not enough game film tape to really be prepared for his tendencies. Going forward, defensive coordinators will be able to expose his limitations. I really like McGloin to be a good game manager, and he will get the most of his weapons. Guys like Streater, Rivera, even Reece all will see upticks in their value with McGloin.

Having said all that, Pryor's upside is much much higher than McGloin. Remember that McGloin is the UDFA 4th string QB out of camp that made good, and was a mild surprise to even make the roster over current backup Tyler Wilson. He could win the games he's capable of winning, but against better teams, it will be a dose of reality I fear.

No telling if Pryor gets back healthy this season, all the way at least to take advantage of those wheels of his. But the Raiders would be foolish to give up on him so soon. His upside is on par with any of the top draft pick QB's next year. I still think the Raiders QB of the future is either Pryor or one of the stud QB's in the draft.

I really like McGloin's story but also know next to nothing about his ability. Could be the next Kurt Warner or Nick Foles or Matt Flynn. He's a big crap shoot at the moment.

I like Pryor but I would like Pryor a whole lot more if he was on a team with a more dynamic coaching staff, I'm personally not a big fan of Olsen.

Goodbye Pryor. Glad to see you go.
Apparently you are.

I'm not sure what it is about Pryor, but like Tebow, some people just REALLY want to see him fail, which isn't really the case for Kaepernick, or RG3, or even Freeman for that matter.

I really like McGloin's story but also know next to nothing about his ability. Could be the next Kurt Warner or Nick Foles or Matt Flynn. He's a big crap shoot at the moment.

I like Pryor but I would like Pryor a whole lot more if he was on a team with a more dynamic coaching staff, I'm personally not a big fan of Olsen.
Not a huge fan of Olson either. But let's add some needed context. He's a journeyman OC, that's had a mixed bag of success/failure and probably the best qualified guy the Raiders could have gotten to cowtow to a young rookie head coach like Dennis Allen. One thing I give credit to Olson is knowing his personnel. The Raiders have a real problem with starter quality at the skill positions and even the depth positions. The one superstar talent the team has/had is DMC and he's going away next year. The rest of this group of starters would be lucky to break the rosters of some of the better teams, let alone starting roles. The team is young, cap strapped, and the cupboard is bare. Thankfully, they get an almost fully stocked draft class and a boatload of cap space next year. To see Terrelle Pryor succeed despite the banged up O-line, despite the unsteady talent at the skill positions was exciting to watch. If he could stay healthy, if he could be better protected, if the skill position players can be upgraded in the draft and/or free agency, I think Olson can be innovative enough to adapt a plan and match it to his personnel. It's not his fault he's working with blanks. If there is an available upgrade on the market that wants to come to the Raiders, I'd be fine with that. But until we got the ammo to be thinking deep playoff run, we probably are fine with a guy like Olson running the show.

Apparently you are.

I'm not sure what it is about Pryor, but like Tebow, some people just REALLY want to see him fail, which isn't really the case for Kaepernick, or RG3, or even Freeman for that matter.
Actually all of them currently are horrible. Cousins needs a shot in Washington. There is a case of drafting a QB in the 1st round and maybe the backup is better but they are too stubborn to make the move. It's not like the old days where you paid a guy zillions and you feel the need to try and get your $ worth.

it's actually kinda funny in WASH. They can't even make up an excuse like it's the WRs.

Yeah, they all do suck to a certain degree this year. But with RG3, it's not like "See?? HE SUCKS! I LOVE IT! Convert him to H-Back or WR and let's see how fast he can RUN!"

Apparently you are.

Actually all of them currently are horrible. Cousins needs a shot in Washington. There is a case of drafting a QB in the 1st round and maybe the backup is better but they are too stubborn to make the move. It's not like the old days where you paid a guy zillions and you feel the need to try and get your $ worth.

it's actually kinda funny in WASH. They can't even make up an excuse like it's the WRs.
Cousins has 2 INTs in 9 attempts this year. You're being more ridiculous than usual.

Not a huge fan of Olson either. But let's add some needed context. He's a journeyman OC, that's had a mixed bag of success/failure and probably the best qualified guy the Raiders could have gotten to cowtow to a young rookie head coach like Dennis Allen. One thing I give credit to Olson is knowing his personnel. The Raiders have a real problem with starter quality at the skill positions and even the depth positions. The one superstar talent the team has/had is DMC and he's going away next year. The rest of this group of starters would be lucky to break the rosters of some of the better teams, let alone starting roles. The team is young, cap strapped, and the cupboard is bare. Thankfully, they get an almost fully stocked draft class and a boatload of cap space next year. To see Terrelle Pryor succeed despite the banged up O-line, despite the unsteady talent at the skill positions was exciting to watch. If he could stay healthy, if he could be better protected, if the skill position players can be upgraded in the draft and/or free agency, I think Olson can be innovative enough to adapt a plan and match it to his personnel. It's not his fault he's working with blanks. If there is an available upgrade on the market that wants to come to the Raiders, I'd be fine with that. But until we got the ammo to be thinking deep playoff run, we probably are fine with a guy like Olson running the show.
That's summed up well Raiderfan. Regarding DMC--given how well Rashad Jennings has played in his absence how do you see them being used when he returns. I'm pretty unlikely to keep both at that time and having had McFadden on my roster frequently over recent years being able to play Jennings consistently has been a breath of fresh air!

Regarding DMC--given how well Rashad Jennings has played in his absence how do you see them being used when he returns. I'm pretty unlikely to keep both at that time and having had McFadden on my roster frequently over recent years being able to play Jennings consistently has been a breath of fresh air!
I think DMC is fantasy irrelevant going forward. I still carry him in one league over no better options on the waiver wire. I might have dropped him for a waiver wire defense but no good ones were available. A second kicker maybe?

Jennings has changed a lot since his days backing up MJD in Jacksonville. The knock on him was his physical conditioning and desire. He took on a new health & fitness routine, sleeps in a hyerbaric chamber, kind of the same story you hear about Arian Foster although I don't think he's vegan. Anyway, I don't think DMC will be able to take back the bellcow snaps away from Jennings going forward. He might be able to force a timeshare. I'm actually more worried about Reece getting an expanded role, with the playbook opening up more for Matt McGloin to use him as the joker. I think that's been sorely needed anyway, to open up the offense. The DMC era in Oakland is just about over. Anything DMC can do Jennings can do better. Jennings/Reece could be a powerful duo. Farewll DMC.

Apparently you are.

Cousins has 2 INTs in 9 attempts this year. You're being more ridiculous than usual.
LOL at your ridiculous sample. How can you just embarrass yourself like that? Let me school you. Would this be the same game RG the TURD had 2 INTs also and Cousins came off the bench trying to lead the Redskins from the HUGE hole RG3 helped dig for the 'skins? Hmm, yes it was.

To show your ridiculousness, I'll counter. Cousins had a better completion % that game than RG3.

It is way to early to determine how McGloin and Pryor are going to work out for the Raiders.

McGloin had one nice game. It would be foolish to annoint McGloin as anything after one game.

Raiderfan's discussion of Jennings and DMC is spot on. Jennings is the main RB in Oakland for the remainder of the season. DMC has not played well all season and is always hurt. DMC is done in Oakland.

I honestly think that McKenzie and Allen are not sold on Pryor. McKenzie and Allen have been intrigued by McGloin since he signed with them early in training camp. However, if he and/or McGloin don't show much promise by the end of the season then I think the Raiders starting QB for 2014 is not on the Roster.

I honestly think that McKenzie and Allen are not sold on Pryor. McKenzie and Allen have been intrigued by McGloin since he signed with them early in training camp. However, if he and/or McGloin don't show much promise by the end of the season then I think the Raiders starting QB for 2014 is not on the Roster.
You may be right that McKenzie/Allen aren't fully committed on Pryor. But the fact the owner is behind him coupled with him being the last Al Davis draft pick gives Pryor a little more latitude than you may believe. FWIW, one of the major reasons I want Pryor to be the guy starting next year is McKenzie's poor track record drafting prospects. If he gets to choose our next QB savior, I'm going to be wincing behind my couch as they call the pick next April.

You may be right that McKenzie/Allen aren't fully committed on Pryor. But the fact the owner is behind him coupled with him being the last Al Davis draft pick gives Pryor a little more latitude than you may believe. FWIW, one of the major reasons I want Pryor to be the guy starting next year is McKenzie's poor track record drafting prospects. If he gets to choose our next QB savior, I'm going to be wincing behind my couch as they call the pick next April.
I disagree that Mark Davis is fully behind Pryor. FYI, during the pre-season Mark Davis picked McGloin to be the undrafted rookie that would make the biggest impact for the Raiders this year. I think Raider fans who think because Pryor will get more latitue because he was Al Davis's last draft pick is nothing more then just wishful thinking on their part.

Oof.

I traded a 3rd rd pick for him in one league, and Chris Givens in another. Would happily still do it today. Pryor is still only 24 and while it might take a second organization, there has to be some OCs out there that are drooling to at least have a shot to scheme around his rare tools. All you have to do is listen to the quotes from defenders against him. They hate having to chase him for a whole. The OAK OL has been in shambles all year, and as we've seen, this regime is erring on the side of not believing in Pryor. They might be right, but as a speculative hold in dynasty, Pryor still has plenty of value. If he is a starting QB, he will surely be featured as a runner in a way that will give him low QB1/high QB2 value at worst. If he "gets it" at all as a passer, he could be a lot more than that.

Oof.

I traded a 3rd rd pick for him in one league, and Chris Givens in another. Would happily still do it today. Pryor is still only 24 and while it might take a second organization, there has to be some OCs out there that are drooling to at least have a shot to scheme around his rare tools. All you have to do is listen to the quotes from defenders against him. They hate having to chase him for a whole. The OAK OL has been in shambles all year, and as we've seen, this regime is erring on the side of not believing in Pryor. They might be right, but as a speculative hold in dynasty, Pryor still has plenty of value. If he is a starting QB, he will surely be featured as a runner in a way that will give him low QB1/high QB2 value at worst. If he "gets it" at all as a passer, he could be a lot more than that.
No there really doesn't. The good OCs won't waste time with him. The bad OCs might but since they are already bad at what they do, they won't last long with this guy as their starter. There is no way this guy will be even a 3 year starter of 16 games/year, ever, for any team, let alone a franchise QB. Get him a Carolina/Seattle/SF level D and they could mask his deficiencies temporarily.

Now if you are talking fantasy here, his upside is ham and egger. After the bye weeks are done, stats will show that the only QBs in the top 10 that run much are Newton & White. Pryor is nowhere near their skill level. There are none in the top 5. It's a passing league, not a running league.

Are we still talking about this hack? This is a passing league. Tim Tebow got bounced from the league and this guy shouldn't be far behind.

Edit to add: With this type of player every play is a broken play. Sure they can look good on occassion and make the spectacular play but when they don't they are just plain bad.

Users who are viewing this thread