What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (2 Viewers)

Throwing this out there for discussion from the other thread:

karmarooster said:
20+ points in his first start, and had that 40 yard TD pass to DMC called back, so there was more on the table. I'd expect defenses to adjust, and that will allow more rome for DMC to run. I think the pair could be a poor man's version of RG3+Morris from last year in terms of rushing yards. RG3 and Morris combined for around 2400 rushing yards. On a per game basis (bc DMC will likely miss games), they figure to approach the benchmark 2k combined rushing yards (todays 160 rushing yards project to 2500). Pryor could have multiple 100 yard rushing games.

Poo poo him all you want, but he's valuable as a borderline top 10-12 QB depending on scoring format.
Dynasty wise, I'd say he has about as much value as Tebow had in his second season with Denver. It should be a fun ride, but he won't approach Kaep value because the long term value isn't as clear. I'd say your best bet is to try to sell him to a Raider fan.
Is it fair to say that at the time when Kaep took over, his long term value wasn't clear? You don't have to be a Raider fan to recognize the fantasy upside in Terrelle Pryor. I'm not overselling him, but it's apparent there are still too many who dismiss him because of the fact he plays for Oakland.

Question: Were Pryor's rushes part of designed option-style running plays, or as Vick-in-his-Atlanta years style bootlegs, keepers, and making-something-out-of-nothing type rushes?
They were the latter, which makes it awfully hard to defend. And for the folks who compare him to VY and Tebow, he posted 65% completions on 7.5 YPA. Those are solid passing numbers. The running numbers are what most focus on, but he's corrected a lot of his earlier poor mechanics. He's young, humble, passionate about winning. It's not a stretch to say he could get to the next level. After the game, he was very hard on himself, calling his performance 'awful'. He knew the game was there for the taking and he made a poor choice late in the game. Otherwise, he'd have pulled up one of the more surprising upsets. Doesn't strike me as a guy just happy to be here.
I'm more asking as part of ongoing analysis into whether the NFL's defenses are, in fact, succeeding in shutting down the read option. But I do like that out of Pryor, and am happy he is stashed on my bench. :thumbup:

karmarooster said:
20+ points in his first start, and had that 40 yard TD pass to DMC called back, so there was more on the table. I'd expect defenses to adjust, and that will allow more rome for DMC to run. I think the pair could be a poor man's version of RG3+Morris from last year in terms of rushing yards. RG3 and Morris combined for around 2400 rushing yards. On a per game basis (bc DMC will likely miss games), they figure to approach the benchmark 2k combined rushing yards (todays 160 rushing yards project to 2500). Pryor could have multiple 100 yard rushing games.

Poo poo him all you want, but he's valuable as a borderline top 10-12 QB depending on scoring format.
Dynasty wise, I'd say he has about as much value as Tebow had in his second season with Denver. It should be a fun ride, but he won't approach Kaep value because the long term value isn't as clear. I'd say your best bet is to try to sell him to a Raider fan.
Is it fair to say that at the time when Kaep took over, his long term value wasn't clear? You don't have to be a Raider fan to recognize the fantasy upside in Terrelle Pryor. I'm not overselling him, but it's apparent there are still too many who dismiss him because of the fact he plays for Oakland.
Well, when Pryor burns a defense in the playoffs for 150+ rushing yards, and when he takes the team to the Superbowl, and when he throws for 400 yards and 3 TDs, he might have Kaep value. His value could go up... but if the question concerns his dynasty value right now, I still think it's Tebow-at-his-max rather than Kaep right now.

Chew on this: Does anyone remember an opening weekend (or any weekend for that matter) where only one RB had over 100 yards? So far, it's only Shane Vereen at 101 rushing yards. Of course Bush had over 100 receiving, and 191 combined, but that's sort of beside the point. And we still have Morris, McCoy, Mathews, and Foster (and RG3, and Vick) to go on MNF...

...but right now, Pryor is the rushing leader in the NFL with 112 yards on the ground. :towelwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Were Pryor's rushes part of designed option-style running plays, or as Vick-in-his-Atlanta years style bootlegs, keepers, and making-something-out-of-nothing type rushes?
They were the latter, which makes it awfully hard to defend. And for the folks who compare him to VY and Tebow, he posted 65% completions on 7.5 YPA. Those are solid passing numbers. The running numbers are what most focus on, but he's corrected a lot of his earlier poor mechanics. He's young, humble, passionate about winning. It's not a stretch to say he could get to the next level. After the game, he was very hard on himself, calling his performance 'awful'. He knew the game was there for the taking and he made a poor choice late in the game. Otherwise, he'd have pulled up one of the more surprising upsets. Doesn't strike me as a guy just happy to be here.
He seems to have really matured since his days at OSU.

He seems to have really matured since his days at OSU.
Yep, another interesting stat on the day. There were zero "three and outs". If you were to take action on the number of "three and outs" before the game, I bet you Vegas would have set the O/U at 4. Pryor had them consistently moving upfield all day long.

How to lock in AP/CJ 2,000 rushing yards on the cheap: draft an RB1 and his running QB counterpart.

2012: RG3 and Morris combined for 1600+800 = 2400 rushing yards (RG3 missed one game)

2012: Kaep and Gore combined for 400+1200 = 1600 rushing yards (this goes way up if you Pro-rate Kaep, and way, way up if you prorate including his playoff games)

2011: Tebow and McGahee combined for 660+1200 = 1860 rushing yards (Tebow started only 13 games)

2011: Vick and McCoy combined for 600+1300 = 1900 rushing yards (Vick played 13, McCoy 15)

2010: Vick and McCoy combined for 700+1080 = 1780 (Vick played 12, McCoy 15)

The price you pay is you have to put up with Tebow/Kaep/Vick-level passing numbers. And there's either higher than normal injury risk (Vick) or guys took over mid-season (Tebow, Kaep), making it difficult to predict at draft time. But on a per-game basis, all of them are at/near/way over 2k yards.

However, the phenomena never occurred (yet?) with Cam due to the RBBC in Carolina. But Week 1's Cam + DWill rushing numbers work out to about 1900 yards, and neither had a particularly good game running (38+83).

(is it obvious I'm invested in both DMC and Pryor? lol)

karmarooster said:

Well, when Pryor burns a defense in the playoffs for 150+ rushing yards, and when he takes the team to the Superbowl, and when he throws for 400 yards and 3 TDs, he might have Kaep value. His value could go up... but if the question concerns his dynasty value right now, I still think it's Tebow-at-his-max rather than Kaep right now.

Chew on this: Does anyone remember an opening weekend (or any weekend for that matter) where only one RB had over 100 yards? So far, it's only Shane Vereen at 101 rushing yards. Of course Bush had over 100 receiving, and 191 combined, but that's sort of beside the point. And we still have Morris, McCoy, Mathews, and Foster (and RG3, and Vick) to go on MNF...

...but right now, Pryor is the rushing leader in the NFL with 112 yards on the ground. :towelwave:
Any idiot would want Kaepernick AFTER he accomplished those things the trick to fantasy football is acquiring players before that happens.

Vision6 said:
karmarooster said:
Raiderfan32904 said:

karmarooster said:

Any idiot would want Kaepernick AFTER he accomplished those things the trick to fantasy football is acquiring players before that happens.
Kaepernick never looked as careless with the football as Pryor did yesterday.

Well, it's true Kaep never threw 2 INTs in a single game so far as I can tell. But he never played behind the Oak o-line throwing to the Oakland WRs, either.

He seems more like Vince Young to me than anyone else, but Young turned into such a headcase I don't think that's really helpful even if it's right. Seems obvious he gives the Raiders a much better chance to win though.

Vince Young with even more athletic ability (4.3 speed) and a work ethic that rivals any QB in the league -- save for maybe Kap who is insane.

2 QB league here, I'm trying him this week as my QB2 over Rivers.

Some would say that it's not a big stretch as Rivers is declining.

(But Rivers did have 4 TD's last week against the Houston Defense)

In that League though Rivers had 30 points, an Pryor had 33 points..

We'll see what happens,

Not "confident" but I don't feel I'll get Screwed either.

He can not be any worst than Tebow and Tebow was a good to great fanasty QB. i think Pryor can easily get:

50-70 running yards, 150-200 passing yards. sprinkle in some TDs and INT and i would rather have him than big ben, alex smith, tannehill, weeden.

In leagues where passing Tds are 4pts rushing Tds are 6pts, passing scoring is .04 per yard and rushing scoring is .1 per yard is say Pryor is an obvious start over a lot of pocket passing qbs this week including Matt Ryan, romo...

The work ethic mentioned in post 164 is very important, he has obviously worked at his craft.

I did not watch the game, honsetly I was a little susprised by teh rushing totals but not really much - but what jumped out at me was the passing stat: 19/29 - 2 INts, but then I think one of those was late. I thought I recalled that he was doing much better earlier and several of those incompletes were late, just generally following the game remotely.

Any observations on that point?

His last interception was him trying to fit the ball between multiple defenders to give his guy a shot a scoring. He had to throw it to a guy for the off chance he catches it and takes it to the house, in my opinion that second interception doesn't reflect his skill but rather the situation he was in (clocking counting down to 0, needed a TD to win)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6757/terrelle-pryor

Terrelle Pryor completed 19-of-28 passes for 281 yards and one touchdown in Monday night's Week 3, 37-21 loss to the Broncos before leaving late in the fourth quarter with a concussion.

He got crunched between Danny Trevathan and Wesley Woodyard on a QB draw near the goal line with just a couple minutes remaining. Pryor played two more plays before heading to the locker room for further tests. Matt Flynn came on and went 1-for-2 for 19 yards. Before leaving, Pryor added 36 yards rushing on four carries. He looked to have happy feet in the pocket once again, but Pryor made some nice throws. He hit Denarius Moore a 73-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Two defenders missed tackles on the play, but it was still a good throw deep down the right hashes. The Raiders host the Redskins next Sunday. Pryor will have to pass concussion protocol on a short week.

I know Pryor was a runner at the time he was hit...but is it really legal to hit him with the crown of your helmet straight in the jaw like that?

jah77 said:
He looked okay.

D Moore made him look real good by taking that pass and turning that into a TD.

That was 25% Pryor and 75% Moore.
Looked more like 33% Pryor and 66% Moore to me

I thought he played very well for the circumstances. The offensive line was garbage in protection and they could not run the ball at all. He stood tall and competed and made some great throws. It is always hard to tell if the receivers are getting open but I would suspect they were having trouble against the Denver corners. Definitely saw a lot of promise for Pryor's future especially if the reports of his work ethic are true. His physical tools are incredible.

Another vote for "he looked promising." Line couldn't run block at all, and he was harrassed pretty quickly in the pocket too. But still found guys open and completed most of his passes. Was surprised to see it.

I thought he played very well for the circumstances. The offensive line was garbage in protection and they could not run the ball at all. He stood tall and competed and made some great throws. It is always hard to tell if the receivers are getting open but I would suspect they were having trouble against the Denver corners. Definitely saw a lot of promise for Pryor's future especially if the reports of his work ethic are true. His physical tools are incredible.
Yea i agree he looked great last night.. threw a lot of great throws on the run, showed great poise and pocket presence.. especially being down early and the Broncos knowing the Raiders had to throw

Is he gonna be able to pass the concusiion protocol to play this weekend - juicy matchup against WAS and thinking of sitting Luck and the pep hamilton run show.

why doesn't Jacoby Ford play more? figure if you're the Raiders you'd want your fastest guy on the field at all times.

why doesn't Jacoby Ford play more? figure if you're the Raiders you'd want your fastest guy on the field at all times.
Because he's like 3 feet tall and pryor is inaccurate. His catch radius is really small. WR's were mking crazy grabs of bad passes last night.

I really hope he passes the tests.... I need him in two leagues where I have Cam on bye this week. Pryor against WAS was going to be my high-scoring sub!!

Because he's like 3 feet tall and pryor is inaccurate. His catch radius is really small. WR's were mking crazy grabs of bad passes last night.
I must have watched a different game.
Obviously. The 1st 2 passes were gawd awful. Butler then dropped a really high pass because he turned his head to see the defender getting ready to knock him out. Pretty sure the QB is supposed to put that ball chest high and not 2 feet above his head. He did throw a few lucky passes...like a guy called Vinc Young did in his awful career. Moore was making some fantastic grabs.

That being said, I may actually start this low cost turd in fanduel vs the worst defense in the league.

Is he gonna be able to pass the concusiion protocol to play this weekend - juicy matchup against WAS and thinking of sitting Luck and the pep hamilton run show.
Was it a concussion for sure? I know the ESPN guys said that but I thought it was more the blow to the shoulder than a headshot but I wasn't completely keyed in.

lod01 said:
King of the Jungle said:
lod01 said:
Rick James said:
Obviously. The 1st 2 passes were gawd awful. Butler then dropped a really high pass because he turned his head to see the defender getting ready to knock him out. Pretty sure the QB is supposed to put that ball chest high and not 2 feet above his head. He did throw a few lucky passes...like a guy called Vinc Young did in his awful career. Moore was making some fantastic grabs.

That being said, I may actually start this low cost turd in fanduel vs the worst defense in the league.
i watched a different game as well.. he looked pretty good in the second half especially

Smack Tripper said:
Macdaddy_2004 said:
Was it a concussion for sure? I know the ESPN guys said that but I thought it was more the blow to the shoulder than a headshot but I wasn't completely keyed in.
Yeah, it was confirmed a concussion. He took the shot in the act of running, looked like a shoulder pad and helmet shot. Pryor is going to have pass concussion tests this week if he wants to play.

meyerj31 said:
I really hope he passes the tests.... I need him in two leagues where I have Cam on bye this week. Pryor against WAS was going to be my high-scoring sub!!
i also hope he can get back on the field... he is my rodgers bye week fill in.

andre johnson was able to play the week following a concussion last week.... that's one of the few i remember who did not have to sit out a week after a concussion in recent years

Count me in as another unbiased person who thought Pryor looked surprisingly good. Maybe he doesn't pan out down the line, but he certainly wasn't the ####show I was expecting to see. I don't think I'd seen extended game action (other than simply highlights) from him since his OSU days.

lod01 said:
King of the Jungle said:
lod01 said:
Rick James said:

i watched a different game as well.. he looked pretty good in the second half especially
Was that when Denver was packing up their gear and Manning was studying the Philly D for week 4 becasue this game was over before halftime. Pretty sure Denver didn't care what Pryor was doing in the 2nd half and they still gave him a concussion.

meyerj31 said:
i also hope he can get back on the field... he is my rodgers bye week fill in.

andre johnson was able to play the week following a concussion last week.... that's one of the few i remember who did not have to sit out a week after a concussion in recent years
I'm in the same boat. I'm dumping Pryor for Geno this week. With Rodgers, realistically we only wanted Pryor for this week. Time to make alternate plans.

rotoworld

Terrelle Pryor tweeted Tuesday that he doesn't remember taking the hit that gave him a concussion

if thats the case, i doubt he plays this week

Users who are viewing this thread