What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

I don't follow college football except for scouting players so I don't care one bit about his suspension. What I see on the field is a more accurate Vince Young. I'm very interested to see how much better he can get but right now I'm still iffy on what I've seen. If the Broncos hadn't completely blown the tackle on Moore on his 73 yard TD then Pryor's stats would have been much different so far.

The Tebow talk is ignorant since Tebow is one of the most inaccurate NFL passers I've ever seen.

No NFL quarterback has been more effective against the blitz, with Manning completing 63.6% of his passes in those situations (14 of 22) with four touchdowns and a passer rating of 140.5.

Surprisingly, Oakland's lightly experienced Terrelle Pryor is second on that list with a 133.5 rating when blitzed, followed by Atlanta's Matt Ryan, 130.1; Seattle's Russell Wilson, 127.8; and San Diego's Philip Rivers, 123.2. http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20130929,0,4490971.column#axzz2gF1WjCp5
Interesting article from the LA Times about how Peyton Manning carves up defenses on blitzes. A water is wet article. But what is interesting is look who rides among the elite QB's at passing rating on blitzes. Terrelle Pryor with a lofty 133.5 rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
No NFL quarterback has been more effective against the blitz, with Manning completing 63.6% of his passes in those situations (14 of 22) with four touchdowns and a passer rating of 140.5.

Surprisingly, Oakland's lightly experienced Terrelle Pryor is second on that list with a 133.5 rating when blitzed, followed by Atlanta's Matt Ryan, 130.1; Seattle's Russell Wilson, 127.8; and San Diego's Philip Rivers, 123.2. http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20130929,0,4490971.column#axzz2gF1WjCp5
Interesting article from the LA Times about how Peyton Manning carves up defenses on blitzes. A water is wet article. But what is interesting is look who rides among the elite QB's at passing rating on blitzes. Terrelle Pryor with a lofty 133.5 rating.
I'd like to see the raw stats on that because I don't think he gets blitzed much, so you're cooking up some index off a tiny sample size.

if a guy runs for 1 yard and then 39 yards, I'm not really interested that his ypc is 20.

this is just my guess, though -- he could be the most blitzed qb in football for all I know.

btw, if he starts sucking, I want credit for coining tereblle pryor

I'd like to see the raw stats on that because I don't think he gets blitzed much, so you're cooking up some index off a tiny sample size.

if a guy runs for 1 yard and then 39 yards, I'm not really interested that his ypc is 20.

this is just my guess, though -- he could be the most blitzed qb in football for all I know.
Well, I've got better things to do on a Saturday Night than to do that research for you. But let's just go with assume a fair comparison baseline is that any one on the index started and played every snap for their team. From what I've seen, he's been blitzed plenty. It's just that he breaks out of the pocket so quick it's hard to define it in the conventional quick throw or bubble screens. I guess my point is, without the research, is that there is zero reason to believe it's a small sample size as you say, considering he's played in all 3 games, except for the last 2 minutes of the Denver game.

I'm starting locker over him in fan duel unless I hear some good news tomorrow morning... would much rather start Pryor...

Rotowire had a link to this story citing league sources saying pryor is starting...

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2013/09/28/terrelle-pryor-to-start-sunday-against-redskins/

Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor will start Sunday against the Washington Redskins, six days after sustaining a concussion, league sources told the Chronicle Saturday.
Backup Matt Flynn took most of the reps in practice all week but Pryor passed the NFL and team’s concussion tests Friday and Saturday.
Pryor took limited reps in practice Thursday and Friday and was officially cleared for contact on Friday morning.
Oakland coach Dennis Allen said Friday if Pryor passed another precautionary test Saturday, Pryor would play Sunday against the Redskins. Allen would not say if Pryor would start or come off the bench.
There was no media access to the team’s walk-through practice Saturday and Allen and Pryor were unavailable for comment.
Allen said Friday that Pryor had made “significant progress” from Wednesday to Friday.
“We want to do the right thing for this kid,” Allen said, referring to the extra test.
Pryor told reporters Friday that he felt “100 percent.”
Pryor was injured after absorbing a helmet-to-helmet hit from Denver linebacker Wesley Woodyard in the fourth quarter of Monday’s 37-21 loss to the Broncos. Pryor was knocked out on the play but got up and ran two more plays, both passes, before giving way to Flynn.
Pryor leads all NFL quarterbacks with 198 yards rushing.
Posted By: Vic Tafur ( Email , Twitter ) | Sep 28 at 8:22 pm

Can't help but think this is a terrible move for Pryor. He's far exceeding expectations and looks to have a chance at an excellent job ahead of him. I hope he sits and fights another day.

Can't help but think this is a terrible move for Pryor. He's far exceeding expectations and looks to have a chance at an excellent job ahead of him. I hope he sits and fights another day.
I hear you, but this isn't a knee or ankle. If you pass the concussion testing, you pass it.

I hear you, but this isn't a knee or ankle. If you pass the concussion testing, you pass it.
But any medical professional worth his salt will admit concussions are still an enigma. Taking a week off seems prudent in all cases and I hope the NFL makes that a rule eventually.

I can't ever see that becoming a rule. Imagine the uproar if a star QB is forced to miss the Super Bowl because he was concussed the week before (assuming no 2-week layoff between games).

Now that the NFL reached a quiet settlement with the ex-players, you're probably right.

I just hope Pryor doesn't jeopardize his surprisingly promising career like others before him.

@AdamSchefter: Raiders QB Matt Flynn, not Terrelle Pryor, will start Sunday vs. the Washington Redskins, per league source.
NFL network is reporting the same news of Flynn to start. Love the opportunity for him this week, but can't risk it with him having a late game.

I've followed Pryor as a bucks fan. Never thought he'd do much in the NFL though. I'll give him credit. His poise and accuracy have significantly improved. Not saying he's a stud, but he's definitely has "real" football potential and with him being on Oakland, even more fantasy potential with a lot of garbage time pts.

glazer tweeted flynn to start as well this morning.... i dont think you can trust either to play a full game at this point....

Been trading for Pryor in all of my dynasty leagues. He's the next big thing, people are just slow to realize it because he was an Al Davis supplemental draft pick. Most physically talented QB in the league, and he's starting to come around as a passer.
I like Pryor but this post reeks of chasing Cam Newton's ghost.
I'm getting Pryor for 3rd rd pick or for Chris Givens. I would trade that for Cam Newton's ghost. I'm honestly not sure what that means.

Cam Newton is all kinds of athletic talent. But he doesn't have the heart or drive that Pryor has. I'd take Pryor over a ten year stretch as well.

Can't believe people actually thought the Raiders might sign Josh Freeman.
Only self proclaimed Raider insider, Michael Silver hatched this idea. And that was based on tweets from Bucs beat writers. He even went on to say Freeman would step and start over Pryor. LOL

Consider this anytime you read a Raider "insider" article from Michael Silver going forward.

Only self proclaimed Raider insider, Michael Silver hatched this idea. And that was based on tweets from Bucs beat writers. He even went on to say Freeman would step and start over Pryor. LOL

Consider this anytime you read a Raider "insider" article from Michael Silver going forward.
Silver even went as far to say this B.S. Dude just makes stuff up.

According to Silver, there are voices in the organization who believe McGloin gives the Raiders the best chance to win.

Pryor is the key to the Raiders success. He was highly impressive last night, he had many great throws on the run last night and some great touch on his passes.

Pryor is the key to the Raiders success. He was highly impressive last night, he had many great throws on the run last night and some great touch on his passes.
Agreed. The kid really impresses me. I like what I see on the field. He throws a pretty ball, too.

But more importantly, when I read his interviews, he seems smart, humble, and driven. I think he has a good attitude. I hope he continues to have success as a result of his hard work.

If the offensive line would have played better in the second half last night Pryor would have thrown for 300 yards.

Mistabishi said:
If the offensive line would have played better in the second half last night Pryor would have thrown for 300 yards.
Agreed.

I also like how he looks and think his future is bright but it is difficult to judge entirely. At times it seemed like he took a long time in the pocket going through his reads. When he sees something he likes the ball gets out quick, fast and in a hurry but that seems to break down if the first read isn't there. I like that he doesn't try to force the ball, with his arm strength there is an argument that he could get away with it, but he needs to get to his second and third reads quicker and be more decisive when pulling it down to run with it.

Also someone get him a new pair of cleats, it looked like he left 30 or so rushing yards out on the field because he kept slipping.

Also someone get him a new pair of cleats, it looked like he left 30 or so rushing yards out on the field because he kept slipping.
That's the horrible field conditions of having to share a stadium with the A's. It worked both ways last night. The SD corner who got burned by Denarius on the TD simply slipped and fell, and Dan Fouts was having a cow over Denarius pushing off. The field was in awful shape. Not sure if the kind of cleats he needed to keep his footing would have helped or hurt him. My guess is that they would only slow him down.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Joe Summer said:

laughable

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6757/terrelle-pryor

Former Colts GM Bill Polian called Terrelle Pryor the most improved player in the NFL he's seen this season.

We couldn't agree more. Unfairly labeled as a Tim Tebow type, Pryor currently ranks fifth in the NFL in completion percentage (68.3), sixth in YPA (8.13) and eighth in passer rating (97.6). He's also rushing for 57.2 yards per game and is 2-2 in his four starts. Showing more and more as a passer each week, Pryor has gobs of upside as both a fantasy player and a potential long-term quarterback for the Raiders.

Oct 9 - 10:05 AM

I picked him up in Week 2 and just moved him for a draft pick next year in my Keeper League. But man... I hated to do it. I have Brees though and I think I can get his replacement in the next few years. But again... I really hated to let Pryor go.

No Houston or Flowers today for KC, he should have a bit more breathing room out there to make some plays.

We knew a game like this was coming though I don't put much blame on Pryor as that was one of the worst offensive line performances I have seen in awhile (Giants sacking Cutler 10 times a couple years back comes to mind). Performances like that from the line can cripple a QBs development, their next game will be interesting to see.

Still he wasn't terrible in fantasy, depending on how your league deals with turnovers, but it was pretty ugly behind that offensive line.

One has to assume that this is how the season will go for Pryor... one week he'll kill you, the next he wins your game for you... and next August we can all gush over his top-10 (maybe top-5) FF QB ranking going into the 2014 season based on his average PPG.

How do you guys feel about him for the rest of the season? I was thinking of picking up Nick Foles and dropping Pryor. Pryor is on bye and faces Pittsburgh after that. After that the schedule seems roller coasterish meaning there are good and bad matchups. Foles, if he takes over for Vick, seems to have a nice schedule.

He still threw for 200+ with a TD and ran for 60, even with the three picks it was still a decent fantasy day.

Considering the circumstances--hostile crowd, record noise level, and a decimated Oline, I can give Pryor a pass for his performance this week.

Holding steady. Pryor owners have to fight the urge to drop him over his bye week. The O-line has been a chinese fire drill and they finally get some rest to hopefully get reset. We know that Jared Veldheer and Melenik Watson are on the horizon to solidify that O-line. KC defense is legit. That's a given, and nobody is debating that. Against weaker defenses, Pryor is going to thrive after the bye week. Hold steady.

Holding steady. Pryor owners have to fight the urge to drop him over his bye week. The O-line has been a chinese fire drill and they finally get some rest to hopefully get reset. We know that Jared Veldheer and Melenik Watson are on the horizon to solidify that O-line. KC defense is legit. That's a given, and nobody is debating that. Against weaker defenses, Pryor is going to thrive after the bye week. Hold steady.
Good post. Those are my thoughts exactly. I've got him as my backup to Stafford right now, but if he slips, I will not hesitate to play Pryor who I think is money going forward.

Pryor has had three fairly good games, vs Indy, Denver, SD.

Three medicore games have come vs Jax & KC. The latter especially is understandable.

We've gotten through a bye and that tough game vs the Chiefs defense.

What's the view on the closing schedule in terms of matchups?

8 10/27 PIT - - - - - - 9 11/3 PHI - - - - - - 10 11/10 @NYG - - - - - - 11 11/17 @HOU - - - - - - 12 11/24 TEN - - - - - - 13 11/28 @DAL - - - - - - 14 12/8 @NYJ - - - - - - 15 12/15 KC - - - - - - 16 12/22

@SD

I'll give it a shot:

8 - vs PIT: bench, PIT pass defense is still good and they can still bring pressure off the edge. May have a decent running day, but mediocre to bad passing day.

9 - vs PHI - start, especially if he shows well vs PIT

10 - @NYG - start , any QB not named Freeman vs Giants is a start

11 - @HOU - start if Houston D has quit by then, or suffers more injuries. bench if Watt and starting CBs still going strong

12 - TEN - bench, Verner is shutdown, McCourty is good, stay away. Though Kaep showed they are vulnerable to running QBs...

13 - @DAL - start, avoid Brandon Carr and you're golden.

14 - @NYJ - bench?, depends on status of Cromartie, though the DL will give him fits when he tries to run

15 - KC - toss up, he will get rushing yds here, also sacked/frustrated a lot. If one of those runs is a TD, he'll be worth a start

16 - @SD - start - terrible secondary / LBs, has played better of late, but will be playing out the string by then

He's a sometime starter that you need to platoon. It's not a bad schedule at all, gotta love the NFC East.

Other than the Jags' game (which now appears to have been an anomaly), Pryor has thrown for at least 200 yards and one TD in all of the other games. He's also rushed for at least 30 in every game this season. On paper, the matchup this week is not a good one as Pittsburgh has been good against the pass but if you can put down 200 yards, 1 TD and at least 30 rushing yards as his floor that's more than respectable as a QB2. He's also thrown interceptions in only two games so far this season (although he has five combined in those games) so he generally takes good care of the ball.

Picking him up a week early to cover Stafford's bye. Nice matchup at home against the Eagles.
This was a great ploy that I intended on doing as well before someone beat me to it and picked up Pryor to cover Luck this week. Will have to be Locker for me next week.

Terrelle Pryor: 'I can do things other people can't'By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Terrelle Pryor's progress this season has been one of the most entertaining storylines to follow.

He has almost single-handedly transformed the Oakland Raiders from a 2014 NFL Draft quarterback-lottery team into one that is intriguing to watch every week.

Yet, Pryor, who spent his bye week working on his footwork and mechanics, knows he needs to improve to show he can be the Raiders' quarterback of the future.

"There have been big improvements; I'm proud of my work," he told NFL Media's Albert Breer earlier this week. "And I have confidence that if I continue to work hard, I'm gonna get where I wanna be -- and I wanna be one of the best. ... I know I can do things other people can't."

He's got that last part right. His athleticism is breathtaking.

Unfortunately, his mechanics have also left evaluators gagging.

Pryor told Breer that he's built a library of cut-ups of Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and has tried to implement elements of their footwork into his game.

It's refreshing to hear a talented player -- who has made it this far mainly on his athleticism -- acknowledge he's got a ways to go before he's actually arrived.

"I see myself as a starter in the league, leading a team and having a lot of success doing it," he said. "What's important is that we keep moving forward."

You can read more on Pryor, Mike Shanahan, Case Keenum and other storylines in Albert Breer's Inside the NFL Notebook

We previewed every Week 8 game in the latest "Around The League Podcast."

Users who are viewing this thread