What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings said that Ryan Tannehill badly wants "more freedom" under new coach Adam Gase and his staff.

"I’m going to speak for Ryan right now, which I typically don’t do," Jennings said. "He wants some more freedom. He’s been hand-held his entire career." It's unclear if Tannehill will get it from Gase and new OC Clyde Christensen, as Jay Cutler reportedly only had "limited audible latitude" under Gase in Chicago this past season. Still, Gase figures to be great for Tannehill after the young quarterback was held under wraps by Joe Philbin and Bill Lazor.

Source: Miami Herald
Feb 8 - 11:02 PM

Dolphins OC Clyde Christensen confirmed the team plans to play more up-tempo this season.
Coach Adam Gase hinted at a fast pace on Monday, and Christensen confirmed a day later. Injuries limited the Bears to a league-average play total under Gase last season, but the Broncos led the league in plays his first year as coordinator and finished seventh the following season. Peyton Manning averaged 628 passing attempts over those two years. Ryan Tannehill is a good bet to surpass 600 attempts under Gase this season.

Source: Miami Herald 
Jun 7 - 3:16 PM

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports Ryan Tannehill struggled with accuracy during the offseason program.
Jackson reports Tannehill made a "handful of impressive" throws, but he also suffered from bouts of "errant ball placement." New coach Adam Gase appeared to notice the inconsistency as well. "There have been a few throws where I would like to see the ball placement be a little better," Gase said. "There have been a few times, too, where they haven’t been on the same page ... [and as a result] it looks like a poor throw. That’s the development of the offense. You’re not going to be perfect from the get go." With a proven offensive mind like Gase in town, the makings of a solid line, and quality weapons around him, Tannehill will have few excuses if he does not take a step forward this season.

Jun 18 - 12:37 PM

Dolphins coach Adam Gase says he tried to push Ryan Tannehill to his "breaking point" at OTAs.

Gase threw the kitchen sink at Tannehill, surprising him with unexpected blitzes, distracting him during plays by throwing bags at him and putting him in unusual situations like 4th and 10. "I put a lot on his plate. It’s almost to the point where it’s probably too much this fast," said Gase. "He’s been doing a good job of responding." Gase is giving Tannehill more freedom to call plays at the line of scrimmage, which was Tannehill's biggest conflict with former OC Bill Lazor. Having transitioned from Mike Sherman to Lazor and now Gase, Tannehill is in his third offensive system in four years.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase suggested he plans to emphasize the short-passing game this season.
"More teams than not, it’s 10 yards and under. That’s where all the passing game is," Gase said. "If you want to stand back there and have your quarterbacks get your brains beat out, go at it." With a suspect offensive line, a quarterback who struggles deep, and a great underneath weapon in Jarvis Landry, Gase seems to be making the correct decision by leaning on the short-passing game. Ryan Tannehill shined in a similar system two seasons ago, completing 66.4 percent of his passes and finishing as the QB8. He is a solid upside pick in the 14th round.

Dolphins OC Clyde Christensen said Ryan Tannehill is not getting the ball out fast enough.
"I don’t think anything is as quick as we want," Christensen said. "Nothing – the protection, the run game, the pass game, the routes, nothing is as quick as we want." The offense has reportedly struggled during camp, and they failed to get much of anything going in the first preseason game. As has become the norm over the last couple seasons, Tannehill was under constant pressure in that game. The Dolphins have to find a way to protect the quarterback.

Aug 15 - 12:32 PM

Ryan Tannehill completed 12-of-20 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns Friday night against the Cowboys.
He added two rushes for 16 yards including a nine-yard gain on an option keeper. Tannehill's best plays of the night both went to Kenny Stills. The first was a 55-yard bomb on the move in the first quarter, and the second was a beautiful touch pass for a three-yard score near the end of the first half. He had another sure touchdown dropped by Jordan Cameron. Aside from consistently throwing behind his receivers on out breaking routes, it was an overall solid performance. Just a season removed from a QB8 finish, Tannehill is as good a late-round quarterback flier as any.

Aug 20 - 12:09 PM

In addition to finally being allowed to audible, Ryan Tannehill is now allowed to remove plays before the game.

New coach Adam Gase is taking the revolutionary approach of treating his quarterback like a man. "When I think about some of the things that he’s done really well, the fact that he’s open and that he makes suggestions and then if he doesn’t like something, he tells me," Gase said. "That kind of communication is critical because the last thing I want to do is put him in a position to where he doesn’t like what I’m calling but he doesn’t say anything." It's hard to blame Tannehill's topsy-turvy first four seasons all on his coaching, but it certainly didn't help. Tannehill has been set up for success plenty of times before, but never more so than in 2016.

There is nothing to be gained from benching him. Nothing at all. Gase needs to have all the leverage he needs if he wants to go in another direction. Keep starting him and after the season asses the QB position.

Matt Moore is not going to change anything......and simply put the more we lose this season, the better our draft position will be. We are not a playoff team in the least bit, and I never thought we would sniff more than 6 wins this season anyway. Besides our front 4 we got nothing in the back 7 on defense that can do anything much. Our secondary is horrendous save for Reshad Jones and the I actually like the rookie CB we took and see a lot of nice potential there. Alonso can cover no one. Good against the run but not much else.

Our offense has no running game to speak of. Outside of Jarvis Landry we are below average at the WR position. Unless Devante Parker turns his work ethic around I am getting mroe and more concerned he will be a bust for us. He has the physical talent. But it seems he does not take his conditioning seriously. He needs to totally change his diet and approach and become a professional here soon. He is consistently in the trainers room for all sorts of soft tissue injuries, strains etc. Let's go kid. You want to eh an NFL starting WR start training like one.

Last edited by a moderator:
He rolled to his left and threw a laser that very few Qbs can make and Parker wasn't even open but he nailed him in the end zone and Parker dropped it. The guy got decent OL play for the 1st time with his Pro Bowl Canter...Sam Kennison voice..."Get off of his ###!"

:D

He rolled to his left and threw a laser that very few Qbs can make and Parker wasn't even open but he nailed him in the end zone and Parker dropped it. The guy got decent OL play for the 1st time with his Pro Bowl Canter...Sam Kennison voice..."Get off of his ###!"

:D
He always #### teases us with these flashes of brilliance. LOL.

Ryan Tannehill credits stem cell therapy with healing his injured ACL.

Tannehill has been practicing without restriction since March. Tannehill's injury was not a full tear. Avoiding surgery is often the same thing as merely delaying it, but that does not appear to be the case in this instance. Tannehill had never missed a game until he went down late last season.
 May 25 - 1:59 PM

Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Apparently this is the "official" Tannehill thread.

Sleeperbot reporting Tannehill left field with non-contact leg injury.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago

It's not much, but it is a sign of their state of mind: Dolphins are "concerned"

about Ryan Tannehill's left knee injury, per league source.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are "concerned" about Ryan Tannehill's left knee injury.

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero adds the team is "fearing the worst." The report is notable both because it suggests the injury is not minor and because it confirms the injury is to his left knee, the same knee he suffered a partially torn ACL late last season. Tannehill suffered the setback when he stepped awkwardly while scrambling out of bounds during Thursday's practice.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 11:05 AM

If they really believed Garropolo was going to be great why would they want to set themselves up to play him twice a year?
Would he be great in Miami though? Or great in the Patriot's system?

Not that New England would part with him, but if I was Miami's GM I would be calling Bill with an offer that would be hard to refuse. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances New England would trade Garrapollo or Brissett to the Dolphins for draft picks?
No chance Miami would be interested in that.  Matt Moore is a capable backup and the schedule is brutal.  I don't see any desire to mortgage the future.

No chance Miami would be interested in that.  Matt Moore is a capable backup and the schedule is brutal.  I don't see any desire to mortgage the future.
Capable of what? Finishing 8-8 at best? Miami has built a team on the up and up that will be limited by the QB play. And with this knee injury this puts Tannehill's future in doubt. What happens when Moore goes down?

Capable of what? Finishing 8-8 at best? Miami has built a team on the up and up that will be limited by the QB play. And with this knee injury this puts Tannehill's future in doubt. What happens when Moore goes down?
8-8 is my expectation with a healthy Tannehill. Schedule is brutal.  If his injury is serious, Gase will have Cutler and Kaep on the phone.

Matt Moore lead the team to a playoff birth when Tannehill went down.  He has been a Dolphin for 6 years.  I have a lot of confidence in him.

8-8 is my expectation with a healthy Tannehill. Schedule is brutal.  If his injury is serious, Gase will have Cutler and Kaep on the phone.

Matt Moore lead the team to a playoff birth when Tannehill went down.  He has been a Dolphin for 6 years.  I have a lot of confidence in him.
For Dolphins fans I would hope you're right. But I would much rather trade for a young QB with potential rather than stooping down to Kaep's level. Moore has played well at times but are you confident he can play 16 games?

Osweiler seems possible. He's the odd man out in Cleveland. With Matt Moore in place already and familiar with the offense, Osweiller is the insurance policy and a midseason start.

gabes1919 said:
Get Kaep on the phone
Gase <3 Cutler

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20235178/miami-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-suffers-injury-awkward-fall

Tannehill fell awkwardly on the sideline while scrambling and didn't get up. Trainers looked at his left knee, which has a brace on it, before taking the quarterback inside. Tannehill suffered a sprained ACL and MCL in the same knee last season and didn't require surgery.

The irony here is that Tannehill got all snappy yesterday when reporters asked about the knee. 

Users who are viewing this thread