What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (3 Viewers)

Not sure Brissett is the comp you want. In the 3 games he started in 2016 he had 55 att for 400 yards  0 passing tds, 16 rushes for 83 yards and 1 rushing td.

I think Cam could be really good this year.  I don't think the passing yards are going to be crazy high but they might be a functional offense and he could have 750 rushing yards and a lot of TDs.  

I think the best part is the early reveal.  If he doesn't have a good week 1 against MIA then you can drop him and move on.
Brissett only started 2 games not 3. 

I do agree that we should know pretty early if Cam is going to rebound. I think week 5 is the cutoff point. Miami has a sneaky decent secondary, likely better than the Raiders or KC who are also in the first 4 games. 

On the flip side, if you get him as a backup(and most likely he will be) and he starts hot, he's probably a pretty easy guy to trade based on his track record, and the team he's on.

Not sure what you are getting at. He was a Top 4 fantasy QB four other years besides his rookie year not throwing for 4,000 yards. Are you suggesting he stops running the ball?
I'm sorry.  I submitted the post before finishing the thought process.  What I was working towards - Cam has to play with the swagger he came into the league with in order to get back to fantasy relevance.  Does he have the balls (I mean, legs) to run for 600+ yards again?  I just don't see it.

I'm sorry.  I submitted the post before finishing the thought process.  What I was working towards - Cam has to play with the swagger he came into the league with in order to get back to fantasy relevance.  Does he have the balls (I mean, legs) to run for 600+ yards again?  I just don't see it.
I feel like if Cam was old and washed, not only would he not be the starter, he wouldn't have even made the team. I can't see the Hoodie giving Cam the vote of confidence if he's physically not ready.

If you look at who he is throwing to, I would guess he is more apt to run for 600 yards than pass for 3500.

If you look at who he is throwing to, I would guess he is more apt to run for 600 yards than pass for 3500.
But he has to do both to get back to his top 4 finishing ways, amirite?  I see NE trying to turn an old Cam into a young Lamar.  Hope he can throw for barely over 3K while tossing 30+ TD's.

At the moment, based on roster projections (and no last minute additions) here are the career reception totals for all receivers not named Edelman that Cam will have the pleasure of throwing to:

WR:
Bird 44
Meyers 26 (on the roster bubble)
Harry 12
Olszewski 2
Slater 1
Ross 0

TE:
Izzo 6
Asiasi 0
Keene 0
Yikes!!  That is one sad list. At least James White is still there.

But he has to do both to get back to his top 4 finishing ways, amirite?  I see NE trying to turn an old Cam into a young Lamar.  Hope he can throw for barely over 3K while tossing 30+ TD's.
Except Cam in today’s game is not going to rank Top 4 with that cast of characters. The only combo of things I could see is 1k from Edelman, 1K receiving yards from the RBs, 500 yards from TEs, maybe some deep balls for Byrd for 500 yards, and 500 yards from Harry. And I would take the under on all of those. 

Cam was the #3 fantasy QB in 2017 with 348 points. That would have ranked 6th last year and 7th if Mahomes didn’t get hurt. Cam needs passing yards, passing TD, rushing yards, and rushing TE to get back to the Top 5. I think he will struggle to get to the levels he was at in CAR In all of those on a new team with 3 weeks to learn the offense with limited practice and almost all unproven receivers. 

Pick a number for passing yards. Now project who gets those yards. It will be tough to get to that number. 
2018 numbers bumped up by 20% from 14 games to 16 would be:

3400/24/13 -> 4100/29/15

488/4 -> 600/5

Edelman 1100/6

White 700/6

Harry 600/7

Other RBs 500/4

WR3 400/4

TEs 500/4

Subtotal 3800/31

So, yes, 3500/26/12 and 500/4 seems like the "happy path" / what can happen without injury....

Patriots coach Bill Belichick refused to publicly name Cam Newton as the team's starting quarterback.

Belichick reportedly informed the team that Newton would start but, unsurprisingly, wouldn't give the media that same luxury. Even so, Newton is fully expected to open the year as the Patriots' QB1 against the Dolphins over Jarrett Stidham, who underwhelmed and battled a leg injury throughout camp. The 31-year-old has not warranted a top-12 ranking since the first half of the 2018 season, but that's expected to change against Miami.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

Sep 4, 2020, 8:50 AM ET

I don't know about the rest of the season, but I think week one is somewhere you want Cam starting especially in DFS. I have a feeling he is going to absolutely ball out. You just know Cam has that chip right now after the summer and Hoodie wants everyone to know what he can do without Brady. They will not take their foot off the pedal Sunday. 

I don't know about the rest of the season, but I think week one is somewhere you want Cam starting especially in DFS. I have a feeling he is going to absolutely ball out. You just know Cam has that chip right now after the summer and Hoodie wants everyone to know what he can do without Brady. They will not take their foot off the pedal Sunday. 
The daily reports out of training camp on the NE offense were not kind. On a good day, the offense looked bad and on a bad day they looked horrible. Lots of folks indicated Cam looked lost and at times was a deer in the headlights in the middle of plays and either froze, threw the ball away, or they had to blow the whistle because he didn't understand the play. I heard an interview with one of the media coverage folks on Friday, who said he went to every practice and the defense got the better of the offense every single day (and no days were even close).

Cam could be the most determined person out there, but having only a few weeks to try to remember even a portion of the playbook, limited practice time, and essentially a much different set of characters on offense in NE over the past two years (except for Edelman) leads me to really wonder what on earth they could cobble together offensively for their first game. I just don't see any situation where they will be so far ahead that they could even consider taking their foot off the pedal. I suppose the defense could be so good that they force a bunch of turnovers and get a couple of scores on their own.

Also, if Cam is over determined to make something happen, those are typically the plays when guys get hurt . . . and we all know Newton hasn't been the healthiest of players. As I see it, NE will hold on for dear life and barely win the game in a low scoring affair.

NE will hold on for dear life and barely win the game in a low scoring affair.
I have Miami winning on the strength of their now-impressive rushing and passing attack. I think they beat the Pats 23-16 or something like that. At least with respect to skill players on offense, I think Breida, Howard, P. Williams, and D. Parker backed by Fitzpatrick is much better than anything the Pats will throw out there. Parker lit up Gilmore last year at the end of the year, IIRC.

I have Miami winning on the strength of their now-impressive rushing and passing attack. I think they beat the Pats 23-16 or something like that. At least with respect to skill players on offense, I think Breida, Howard, P. Williams, and D. Parker backed by Fitzpatrick is much better than anything the Pats will throw out there. Parker lit up Gilmore last year at the end of the year, IIRC.
We shall see. MIA literally HAS NO IDEA what the Patriots will do on offense. If Cam can get them to do what is designed, the Pats will hold a big advantage. But if the offense is not on the same page, then they will struggle.

We shall see. MIA literally HAS NO IDEA what the Patriots will do on offense. If Cam can get them to do what is designed, the Pats will hold a big advantage. But if the offense is not on the same page, then they will struggle.
Some rpo. Keene in at fullback and moving to create mismatches. AsiAsi attack seams. 

Cam fan here, and I do think he has a shot at being a fantasy monster with his legs later in the season.  But I would not think week 1, when he hasn’t played a game in almost a year, in a new offense, with poor skill position help, is a week where anyone should be starting Cam in FF.  

Between 2011-2018 (Cam's full seasons), Here is a list of QBs who have more top 12 weeks than Cam Newton: 

1) Drew Brees
2) Tom Brady 

His arm looked shot last year. If he has healed up, I am intrigued, but he still has no weapons. 
His current weapons aren't really any worse(and are potentially better) than what Newton had for most of his time in Carolina. I mean Kelvin Benjamin, Ted Ginn, Devin Funchess, Jerricho Cotchery were among his top WR's. Edelman even in his mid 30's is better than any of them. If Harry is something, this could actually be one of the better supporting casts of Cam's career. The OL is among the best for sure. 

Its unfortunate we didn't get a healthy Cam with CMC, Moore, and Samuel last year. Probably would have been the best group of his career. Cam was having the 2nd best passing season of his career in 2018 with them before he went down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he can. He's been a top-10 QB his entire career, based mostly off his legs. I fully expect those legs to carry him again. They aren't plugging Newton into Brady's offense, I'm fully expecting an entirely different style from the Patriots offense this season.

Belichick has long expressed the difficulty in dealing with a mobile QB, and while it was a small sample size, when Brady was out a couple years back, New England had all kinds of designed QB runs, and creative misdirection offense with Jacoby Brissett at QB, and I feel very comfortable saying Brissett isn't even close to the runner or passer that even a diminished Newton is, and what if Cam is fully healthy?

Honestly, I think Cam can be a top-5 QB this year. I'm not saying he will, but its on the table. I'm not really seeing much difference between Newton and Josh Allen fantasy wise, other than Allen isn't coming off injury, and Newton has proven top-5 ability. The biggest difference is that Newton is going at least 4 rounds later. 
I agree with this.  I do think it is going to take Newton 2-3 weeks to get going and comfortable with learning a new playbook, and not having a full off-season to work with the players.  

One thing people are forgetting though that I think is super important is the year that Cam was MVP 35 pass tds, 10 ints, and 10 rushing tds was the year that Kelvin Benjamin tore his ACL in camp.  The panthers were literally left with nothing at WR that year prior to the season.  Greg Olsen was the best WR by a landslide.  Cam not having a lone target to hone in on became so much more dangerous because he learned to spread the ball around, and make smart plays.  

Now, being a Panthers fan our coaching staff (SCREW THIS YEAR), and offensive play calling for most of the past 10 years has been redudant and often times "dog ####".  I can imagine that the first few weeks they will limit the playbook and the offense to make it a little simpler for him until he gets up to speed.  See his rookie year for how this worked out.  He is on a one year deal they are going to want him to run, (Plus when he is running this is when he plays the best because I think he feels more comfortable, but from a viewer's perspective he just has always played better overall when he is a dual threat.  Keeps the defense honest.).  When he just sits in the pocket too much he starts to make mistakes, and the defense can exploit some of his weaknesses.    I will say in 2018 he had the best completion percentage of his career, was having a MVP calibur season, and the Panthers were 6-2 and a superbowl favorite before he got hurt.  The guy is motivated and has a lot left to prove to the haters.  

Cam absolutely can be a top 5-7 fantasy QB if he can stay healthy, and start picking things up.  I am all in on Cam this year because I think whenever his value is this low $3 or less in Auction, and everyone doubting is the time when this guy can take you to a fantasy championship.  I doubted Cam the year he won MVP and didn't bet money on him winning, and lost thousands of dollars.  Being a panther fan that was the most exciting year of football I have ever been a part of (3 National Championships in a row for Appalachian State were a lot of fun too though).  I won't doubt a Healthy Cam again, especially with the coaching staff that he has. 

The Athletic's Jeff Howe said Patriots coaches believe QB Cam Newton can still be the kind of rusher he was in 2017, when he ran 139 times. 

That kind of rushing opportunity would give Newton, a 10th round pick, fantasy football MVP upside. He ran for 754 yards in 2017, along with six touchdowns. That's 111.4 fantasy points in rushing alone. “As long as I have legs, I think I’ll have the ability to (keep running),” Newton said. “It’s just making myself available when needed if asked to do so, and we’ll go from there.” It's been clear for weeks that Newton is the late-round quarterback of the 2020 season. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 10, 2020, 10:30 AM ET

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting in week 1. McDaniels basically told us weeks ago that they were excited about Newton's rushing ability. 

Cam has the looks of a top-5 QB if he can stay healthy.

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting in week 1. McDaniels basically told us weeks ago that they were excited about Newton's rushing ability. 

Cam has the looks of a top-5 QB if he can stay healthy.
I love that Newtown showcased he can still rush it, but against a bad defense I am way less confident in his ability to pass the ball.  I think this comes to hurt him as the season continues, 

I love that Newtown showcased he can still rush it, but against a bad defense I am way less confident in his ability to pass the ball.  I think this comes to hurt him as the season continues, 
In the second quarter, the fish took the run away by loading the box while keeping contain.  To start the third quarter, the Pats responded with quick dumps to Edelman and others.  Harry was coming around in the second half until he lost the boneheaded fumble through the end zone for a touch-back.  Clearly 15 runs and 115 yards passing isn't going to get it done, and the Patriots will be gradually opening up the playbook to enhance the passing output.

@Seattle is going to be very interesting.  Matty Ice threw the ball 54 times for 450 yards, and the Seahags at home is going to be tougher sledding in the run game compared to the fish.

In the second quarter, the fish took the run away by loading the box while keeping contain.  To start the third quarter, the Pats responded with quick dumps to Edelman and others.  Harry was coming around in the second half until he lost the boneheaded fumble through the end zone for a touch-back.  Clearly 15 runs and 115 yards passing isn't going to get it done, and the Patriots will be gradually opening up the playbook to enhance the passing output.

@Seattle is going to be very interesting.  Matty Ice threw the ball 54 times for 450 yards, and the Seahags at home is going to be tougher sledding in the run game compared to the fish.
I found this morning's discussion on Get Up silly and amusing. Basically, no one cared that NE won and TB lost. Essentially, Brady will still be approaching passing records and making a push to get to the SB with Tampa this year while the Patriots have absolutely no weapons and not going anywhere. Cam can't run 250 times and will be hurt in a couple of weeks, the Patriots have no chance against most opponents, and they lost their entire team from last year.

It's been pretty clear (at least to me) what NE has been planning to do, which is basically win on pitching and defense and keeping the score down. They were able to do that against the Phins. It will be interesting see what they do should they start falling behind. For anyone that has ever watching the Pats, people should know by now that what they did last week will not be the same as what they will do this week. I think BB will be overjoyed if they can win a few early games while letting Cam absorb more of the playbook as the season progresses.

After one game it certainly looks like they will rotate and use all of their running backs. I personally don't see them suddenly going all in on Harris once he comes back, so everyone will get a small piece of the pie. And Cam running so much and taking goal line touches will devalue the RB's even more. But if they are winning and the defense can control most of the game, there really isn't a lot of reasons to show much more of the offensive game plan. And I am sure they are thrilled to be playing in SEA without fans in attendance.

I found this morning's discussion on Get Up silly and amusing. Basically, no one cared that NE won and TB lost. Essentially, Brady will still be approaching passing records and making a push to get to the SB with Tampa this year while the Patriots have absolutely no weapons and not going anywhere. Cam can't run 250 times and will be hurt in a couple of weeks, the Patriots have no chance against most opponents, and they lost their entire team from last year.

It's been pretty clear (at least to me) what NE has been planning to do, which is basically win on pitching and defense and keeping the score down. They were able to do that against the Phins. It will be interesting see what they do should they start falling behind. For anyone that has ever watching the Pats, people should know by now that what they did last week will not be the same as what they will do this week. I think BB will be overjoyed if they can win a few early games while letting Cam absorb more of the playbook as the season progresses.

After one game it certainly looks like they will rotate and use all of their running backs. I personally don't see them suddenly going all in on Harris once he comes back, so everyone will get a small piece of the pie. And Cam running so much and taking goal line touches will devalue the RB's even more. But if they are winning and the defense can control most of the game, there really isn't a lot of reasons to show much more of the offensive game plan. And I am sure they are thrilled to be playing in SEA without fans in attendance.
15 designed runs that I read.  I am glad he did well but I will be curious if this is a static plan going forward because thats a lot to ask out of him. 

🤷‍♂️

I have no idea simply stating it will be interesting to see if running game is going to be a weapon in the offense.  15 times is a lot for him.
They ran heavy last year but the problem was troubled oline and loss of Devlin fullback. Hopefully they can work TE in game more and I want to see if Keene can be used to create problems as an h back. 

I will always miss Brady. But part of me enjoyed seeing a different QB, if for nothing else than something new. I thought Cam did well, but not perfect. There were several times he should have read the defense and audibles out of it to counter the defense. Romo pointed this out several times. If the practice evolve is a microcosm of the season Cam should steadily improve. If he achieves better than expected results I hope Patriots can sign him to a couple few seasons at least. 

Anyone know how Cam has done in cold weather?

I thought Oline looked weak early but got better as the game went on. But several times guys had nobody block them rushing straight at Newton. I knew losing Scar would be painful. But some of the blocking yesterday was... 😳😳😳

Someone in my league dropped Cam to fill in for injury.

Have Wentz as my starter, but seeing how shaky the Eagles were yesterday, thinking of dropping a decent chunk of FAAB on Cam.

Thoughts?

Who you dropping to pick up Cam? Format? Number teams?
12 team half-PPR league - would be dropping Cohen or Jonnu Smith depending on how he he plays tonight.

There are also guys like Tannehill and Danny Dimes on the wire who I'll be keeping an eye on tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team half-PPR league - would be dropping Cohen or Jonnu Smith depending on how he he plays tonight.

There are also guys like Tannehill and Danny Dimes on the wire who I'll be keeping an eye on tonight.
I would put Newton in line with Jones and Tannehill and Wentz not too much better.  I could see picking up two of those guys and playing matchups.  

Yeah, if you did pick Newton he gets Jets on Wentz bye week. 

I like Newton’s floor. He may be a #8 to #10 QB after he expands his playbook comfort ability. 

Users who are viewing this thread