What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (3 Viewers)

There's a reason they struggle against good teams--they are outmatched from a talent perspective. And good teams will shut down their crap wrs.

I was worried about Newton coming into the year, but he's really proved to me that he's a top 3 guy in the long run and he seems to have grown up a lot. I think Rogers is the only other qb in the league that could be successful with his wr core.
I think the WRs have progressed to "mediocre" from crap. Still way too many drops. There were 3-4 right on the numbers last night that were dropped. If Cam were any better a QB they'd have caught those balls.

I would have loved Ginn to catch that 1st half bomb that went right through his hands.
The interesting thing is Ginn has less drops than Smitty. That one hurt a bit because it looked like a deep strike touchdown.
I know he's worn his helmet like that since college, but I've always wondered how the hell Smitty can see through his face mask. It's almost like his head is too big to fit in the helmet :lol:

I would have loved Ginn to catch that 1st half bomb that went right through his hands.
The interesting thing is Ginn has less drops than Smitty. That one hurt a bit because it looked like a deep strike touchdown.
I know he's worn his helmet like that since college, but I've always wondered how the hell Smitty can see through his face mask. It's almost like his head is too big to fit in the helmet :lol:
:lol:

This has been a fun few weeks, as a fan of the kid. I was starting to worry early in the season, but he's answered a lot of questions. He'll have to more to answer when the going gets tougher, but, again, it's been fun.

He never went anywhere :shrug: The offensive play calling's been terrible all year. Only dopes read into him putting a towel on his head etc. As was said in the other thread, he'll be fine. ETA: And the play calling was affecting the running game as well. If this staff is kept, there are going to be a lot of upset fans. The only one worth keeping is the DC and even then arguments can be made against that.
I think that most of us fans are considering a staff change as a given. I've been shocked before, but this would be high on the list of shockers if Rivera and his staff hang around.
Cam discussion has become laughable at this point....let's go back to the coaching staff. I'm not sure I've seen a staff grow as quickly and obviously as this one has. They are doing a good job in their calling now and it's made all the difference. It's amazing what one can accomplish when they use their tools the right way. Hopefully, they keep it up. There's a direct correlation between their approach and this team's success.
Yes. They finally are using him correctly. The beginning of the season was ugly because they took away his ability to strike fear in defenses with his legs. That can really open up the passing game and it has for them.

Last night should be the norm for him
Over the second half of last year and this year, it's also clear that he gets the fact that he doesn't have to win the game on every play. Doing a much better job checking down and taking underneath. If I'm not mistaken it was this thread where it was suggested that he doesn't make players around him better because he throws the ball too hard or something crazy like that. I'm waiting for the comment that Manning/Brady suck because they aren't getting 75 a game with their legs.
Same argument used against Michael Vick in Atlanta. People were also blaming his left-handed spiral.

Who would you rather have Cam or Luck?
I still take Cam, but I have been very high on Cam at every stage, as a fantasy player. Luck is safer and likely has a higher market value right now. But Cam has already shown that he has elite fantasy upside, something we can only project in the future for Luck. I feel like Luck can (and is) be one of the best real life QBs in the NFL, and never match what Cam did as a rookie, fantasy wise.

He never went anywhere :shrug: The offensive play calling's been terrible all year. Only dopes read into him putting a towel on his head etc. As was said in the other thread, he'll be fine. ETA: And the play calling was affecting the running game as well. If this staff is kept, there are going to be a lot of upset fans. The only one worth keeping is the DC and even then arguments can be made against that.
I think that most of us fans are considering a staff change as a given. I've been shocked before, but this would be high on the list of shockers if Rivera and his staff hang around.
Cam discussion has become laughable at this point....let's go back to the coaching staff. I'm not sure I've seen a staff grow as quickly and obviously as this one has. They are doing a good job in their calling now and it's made all the difference. It's amazing what one can accomplish when they use their tools the right way. Hopefully, they keep it up. There's a direct correlation between their approach and this team's success.
Yes. They finally are using him correctly. The beginning of the season was ugly because they took away his ability to strike fear in defenses with his legs. That can really open up the passing game and it has for them.

Last night should be the norm for him
Over the second half of last year and this year, it's also clear that he gets the fact that he doesn't have to win the game on every play. Doing a much better job checking down and taking underneath. If I'm not mistaken it was this thread where it was suggested that he doesn't make players around him better because he throws the ball too hard or something crazy like that. I'm waiting for the comment that Manning/Brady suck because they aren't getting 75 a game with their legs.
Same argument used against Michael Vick in Atlanta. People were also blaming his left-handed spiral.
:lmao: I don't doubt it. Weird thing to me was no one complained about Favre breaking WR fingers.

don't forget about LaFell's drops as well. He dropped a 20 yard strike that him between the 1's right around the 15 yard line. One of the worst drops I've ever seen.
Cam's fault

don't forget about LaFell's drops as well. He dropped a 20 yard strike that him between the 1's right around the 15 yard line. One of the worst drops I've ever seen.
Yeah Lafell also dropped that sure first down a couple of games ago.

:ph34r:
Luck is really good there is no doubt. I think he had more time under center in college than Cam and it definitely showed. He was more mature than Cam when he came out. I think Cam is catching up on that score and I think Cam is physically just a marvel. That is really hard question as I think they are pretty equal in the long run.

Luck is really good there is no doubt. I think he had more time under center in college than Cam and it definitely showed. He was more mature than Cam when he came out. I think Cam is catching up on that score and I think Cam is physically just a marvel. That is really hard question as I think they are pretty equal in the long run.
Luck is my QB in every league but one, couldn't get him in the rook draft in that one - I was able to trade up for RG3 though.

I'm the minority, but I think his fantasy ceiling is higher than anyone's.

Luck is my QB in every league but one, couldn't get him in the rook draft in that one - I was able to trade up for RG3 though.

For the love of God please keep us posted

For the love of God please keep us posted
:hifive:

I wouldn't agree with that last sentence but hard to go wrong with him on your team. RG3 I think I would skip. I see too much Vick in him. By that I mean a smaller guy who is going to get hurt because he can't absorb the kinds of hits linebackers lay on running QBs. This is one of Cams advantages. He is as big as the guys hitting him and can take a bit more of it. I wish he would learn to slide feet first though.

When used properly Super Cam is the second best QB in fantasy football. If he ever gets a legit WR corps, look out. Smiffy can still be an ideal WR2, but this offense needs a legit WR1 in the worst way. Josh Gordon type.

I wouldn't agree with that last sentence but hard to go wrong with him on your team. RG3 I think I would skip. I see too much Vick in him. By that I mean a smaller guy who is going to get hurt because he can't absorb the kinds of hits linebackers lay on running QBs. This is one of Cams advantages. He is as big as the guys hitting him and can take a bit more of it. I wish he would learn to slide feet first though.
Luck's athletic traits are very similar to Cam, he is every bit as capable of piling up those rushing totals as Cam. He just doesn't rely on them as much because he is a better passing QB.

RG3's ahead of Vick in several areas, but unfortunately they share one trait - protecting himself outside of the pocket. It was back again last week. Old habits die hard. I've been trying to flip him to the Wilson owner, but to no avail. I think Wilson's being slept on the most among this group because his run game and defense are so strong he doesn't have to dot the boxscore every week to win. He showed last year he's capable of being an elite QB though.

Luck's athletic traits are very similar to Cam, he is every bit as capable of piling up those rushing totals as Cam. He just doesn't rely on them as much because he is a better passing QB.
Does he rely on them or just take advantage of the situation?

:fishing:

Funny....I was thinking the same thing about your post he replied to. I don't think Luck would be as successful in Carolina and Cam and I don't think Cam would be as successful in Indy as Luck. There's a reason the offenses are run the way they are for each.

Cam Newton leads all QBs in third down yards per pass attempt with 10.32. 122.7 rating on 3rd down

^ This is insane. 10.32 yards per attempt on 3RD DOWN?

Funny....I was thinking the same thing about your post he replied to. I don't think Luck would be as successful in Carolina and Cam and I don't think Cam would be as successful in Indy as Luck. There's a reason the offenses are run the way they are for each.
Luck would be successful anywhere.

This I do agree with.

I didn't say he wouldn't be successful...I said he wouldn't be as successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night was the first time I've watched a Panthers game all season. Cam was accurate on a ton of his passes and not just the wide open ones. Really impressed with his touch and accuracy.
Yep. He's special. Came in very immature, and people must find it easy to hate on him, but the signs of maturity are there. And he's getting better. Panthers need to surround him with better WRs though. So many pitiful drops that hit LaFell and Ginn right in the hands if not numbers on their chest. :rant:

Whoa.

EDIT: Luck plays like a LB at QB.
If you say so.
http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/1081/luck-runs-like-a-linebacker

If I didn't have to leave the office right now I'm sure I could find dozens more like this.
Don't bother; I can find the hyperbole myself.

SI.Com: "Cam Newton, Auburn's Mack Truck of a QB..."

Mack Trucks > Smaller trucks > Tigers > Lions > really fast scooters > German Shepherds > linebackers: Proof

Luck's athletic traits are very similar to Cam, he is every bit as capable of piling up those rushing totals as Cam.
Trolling, or you really believe this?
The second part.
Luck is sneaky fast, but he isn't the threat to run that Cam is. He has nowhere near the power, and I doubt he'd hold up as well.
I don't really want to make this into a Cam vs. Luck thread, since I love both, but here are their combine numbers.

40 yard dash: 4.59 seconds vs 4.67

Vertical jump: 35 inches vs 36

Broad jump: 126 inches vs 124

3 cone drill: 6.92 seconds vs 6.80

20 yard shuttle: 4.18 seconds vs 4.28

The first column is Cam, the second is Luck. Overall, they are very similar as athletes. Obviously, Cam has run it much more so far in their careers. But Luck is a very good runner. When he runs, he picks up first downs at a great rate. On his career, 8.88 percent of rushes have resulted in a TD. For comparison, Cam's rate is 8.25 percent. ESPN QBR's isn't a perfect stat but last year, Luck had a rush EPA of 18.3. Cam's was 20.1 (his rookie year was 19.7). Just because Luck doesn't run that much doesn't mean he's not a very good runner.

Luck's athletic traits are very similar to Cam, he is every bit as capable of piling up those rushing totals as Cam.
Trolling, or you really believe this?
The second part.
Luck is sneaky fast, but he isn't the threat to run that Cam is. He has nowhere near the power, and I doubt he'd hold up as well.
Whoa.

EDIT: Luck plays like a LB at QB.
um okay guy, whatever you say

Just because Luck doesn't run that much doesn't mean he's not a very good runner.
Do you think Luck is the running threat that Cam is? If so, that's fine, and we can agree not to. But countering my statement without taking a stance is a bit of a strawman.

Luck is a great athlete for a QB, and can run the ball. Newton is simply on another level. Those stats are pointless, IMO, when the usage is so different.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImTheScientist said:
Newton is fine as long as everything is going well. If things are not going his way get ready for the pouting to begin. :cry:
Sounds like you should invest in Kleenex since your favorite team's #1 WR is Harvin :coffee:

Both are great physical talents. Maybe Cam gets the edge but really you're talking the difference between an A and an A+. On the mental side - maturity and being a student of the game - Cam gets a C (and that's an improvement given that he was a D) and Luck gets another A.

I don't know of another quarterback that, when entering the league, I'd bet money on entering the HOF some day. Peyton may have been the last one.

NFL Matchup will have a segment on Cam / Panthers on their show tomorrow...can't wait for this thread to be bumped after the airing :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread