Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Like trying to pick my favorite kid. My SE conviction is higher but $FVRR’s market cap is still significantly smaller (10 billion vs. 140 billion for SE) which implies more runway not taking TAM into account. They’re both great, but I wouldn’t jump completely in to either. Maybe a third or half now and the rest after earnings. They both happen in less than a month.

I was thinking to just dip my toes into both. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hooter311 said:
2 hours ago, [icon] said:

The problem lies in thinking GBTC is a speculative stock. They hold BTC. BTC is being gobbled up by institutional investors at a rate that dwarfs it's production, driving it's value skyward. They can't make more to compensate. It's literally not possible. 

Truth.

Square, paypal, and grayscale are each buying more bitcoin each month than what is being mined.  These companies take it off the market and locked up in trusts.  We are running out of sellers as we speak.  The supply crisis is looming.  The gme squeeze will pale in comparison to the bitcoin supply crisis.

I really don't agree with this, respectfully of course.

I ask myself what makes bc valuable?  The value lies in that its limited and untraceable.  That's it.  Heck, even gold can be made into jewelry and conductors.  Bc?  Not so much.

Finally, bc is only valuable when its underlying software is trusted.  Me myself being in software, I don't trust software.  I would advise you also to not trust software.  In an instant, bc could go to zero, literally zero, if a single technical flaw is found which erodes the trust factor.  Gold?  Gold will always have value.

:2cents:

Edited by JAA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Wild Young Billy said:
58 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I only know what I read/hear. I'm sure you're much more educated about these things than I am. My feeling is that this is actually the key to its adoption. Instead of looking for ways to force Blockchain down people's throats, they need to find blockchain-based solutions that are just better and watch adoption follow.

I'm pissed off all the major banks have limits on transfers between institutions unless you pay a high fee for a 3 day transfer or actually go into the branch location to initiate a wire transfer. I'm not switching to Dogeman Sachs because they advertise they can do all my banking using Blockchain. But if they say we'll transfer whatever you want, wherever you want, from wherever you want, for free, in 5 seconds (and it just so happens blockchain is the reason we can do this), OK, you have my attention.

Expand  

Faster payments equals faster fraud. That's why banks are hesitant and because there are some limitations to the network on which the money moves. Blockchain eliminates the threat of double spend, making it a vehicle for faster transfers and zero fraud

Until you wake up one morning and your wallet is empty and you have no recourse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made two purchases today.

SBNY based on analysts' upgrade and a desire to be more invested in crypto related equities

XLE based on Tom Lee forecasting a 40% pop in energy in the short term

 

 

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TripItUp said:

Made two purchases today.

SBNY based on analysts' upgrade and a desire to be more invested in crypto related equities

XLE based on Tom Lee forecasting a 40% pop in energy in the short term

 

This would be pretty surprising to me. It's already up ~50% over the last three months. I also just trimmed some of the XLE I acquired over the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Trimmed: FLGT, SI, RMGCU, JOFFU. JNJ, TYME, BABA, BTAQ, NTRM, TPGY, CLDR, GSAH, MBIO, GDRX, XL

Kept: UVXY, MARA, MSTR, GBTC, DMGGF, UUUUWS, NEVDF, HOFVW, CBBLF, WLDFF, PVH, VYSTR, SFIO

Bought: UVXY

Also sold some winners and added to my UVXY average $10.11

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hooter311 said:
2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

For those of us that can't afford a bitcoin and especially those of us who can't figure out how to buy a bitcoin, is playing stocks like DMGGF or Hive Blockchain the next best things?  Because I do want some torque related to bitcoin, but I'm still confused and frightened of the whole thing.  Like, I still don't know what it is.  In my head, it's like a mushroom that comes out of a brick when Mario's head hits it.


That's all I got. 

Honestly, using an app like cash app, paypal, and robinhood all make it incredibly easy to trade crypto without having to worry about wallets and keys and hackers and what not.

You don't have to buy an entire bitcoin.  You could buy $10 worth a week and still have a ton to show for it in a few years.

 

In tax advantages accounts like Ira's you can buy GBTC which is a trust that just holds btc.  1 share is equivalent to holding roughly 1/1030th of a btc and they trade at a small premium.

This is what I did on 12/23 - I had a small balance in my Paypal account so I put half of it in BTC.  That $500 is $994 today.

I added some GBTC to my Roth last week, up 40% right now.  This account is where I'd really like to build some more exposure.  But with MOGO and MSTR up 400% - 600% and RIOT up 1000% in the last 3 months, seems risky to jump in those now.  I do have a few TSLA shares.  So maybe I just keep adding to GBTC, which is "only" up almost 200% in that time?

And just to remind myself I'm not that smart - I bought GBTC back in July at $12.31, and chickened out and sold it a week later for a couple of % gain.  That'd be up 390% right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

This is what I did on 12/23 - I had a small balance in my Paypal account so I put half of it in BTC.  That $500 is $994 today.

I added some GBTC to my Roth last week, up 40% right now.  This account is where I'd really like to build some more exposure.  But with MOGO and MSTR up 400% - 600% and RIOT up 1000% in the last 3 months, seems risky to jump in those now.  I do have a few TSLA shares.  So maybe I just keep adding to GBTC, which is "only" up almost 200% in that time?

And just to remind myself I'm not that smart - I bought GBTC back in July at $12.31, and chickened out and sold it a week later for a couple of % gain.  That'd be up 390% right now.

Ok gb, I’ll buy the beer at Jerry’s bbq

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RC94 said:

When I go to the crypto page on Paypal it gives you the option to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, or Litecoin.  Which do you guys recommend?

 

bitcoin

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Well see, this is another thing I'm having trouble grasping.  3-4 years ago, there over a THOUSAND different cryptocurrencies with names like Dragon Milk Semencoin.  Did those just vanish?  And how are all these things worth anything?  I mean if I pull up a gram of gold from the dirt, I can explain away its value.  But a BitKitty?  I don't get how it has any worth.  

I guess you could say a dollar printed from a press is no different.  Or a baseball card.  My head needs a hit and a nap.

They're only worth something because people think they're worth something. But that's true for most things. 

59 minutes ago, JAA said:

I really don't agree with this, respectfully of course.

I ask myself what makes bc valuable?  The value lies in that its limited and untraceable.  That's it.  Heck, even gold can be made into jewelry and conductors.  Bc?  Not so much.

Finally, bc is only valuable when its underlying software is trusted.  Me myself being in software, I don't trust software.  I would advise you also to not trust software.  In an instant, bc could go to zero, literally zero, if a single technical flaw is found which erodes the trust factor.  Gold?  Gold will always have value.

:2cents:

That pretty much echoes my thoughts, but I'm just a lawyer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CGRdrJoe said:

You know, the guy that bought a ZEBRA

Got bitcoin money baby!

 

But yeah, sold the zebra.  Ol' barcode was almost as bad of an investment as AMC.

  • Laughing 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Got bitcoin money baby!

 

But yeah, sold the zebra.  Ol' barcode was almost as bad of an investment as AMC.

Barcode is such an awesome name for a zebra.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took a few racks of the FLGT profits and started a position in $CRM AH in my traditional IRA. This is an account I don’t make deposits into anymore so I tend to trim a little sooner than other accounts if I can do enough to start a decent position. Been making some of my best choices here for whatever reason. Stocks here now are:

AAPL / FVRR / FLGT / ETSY / CRM

This little portfolio has big balls. Big ol’ balls. Big as pumpkins, big as grapefruits, yes sir.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, I think the market has absorbed the Slack purchase, hopefully they really make it work, and it’s honestly getting put into my AAPL/MSFT/TSCO team of just plain solid companies that also happen to find ways to grow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Anyway, I think the market has absorbed the Slack purchase, hopefully they really make it work, and it’s honestly getting put into my AAPL/MSFT/TSCO team of just plain solid companies that also happen to find ways to grow.

I just got my 401 K rolled over to my new Fidelity IRA. It’s pretty sizable and I’m going to start buying stuff tomorrow. Mostly ETFs and some low cost index funds. I’m also planning on loading up on the ones you listed there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, urbanhack said:

I just got my 401 K rolled over to my new Fidelity IRA. It’s pretty sizable and I’m going to start buying stuff tomorrow. Mostly ETFs and some low cost index funds. I’m also planning on loading up on the ones you listed there.

Might I also recommend setting a little aside for a risky play, specifically STMH? It's one I discovered without anyone's help, vertically integrated cannabis play. Should moon.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Might I also recommend setting a little aside for a risky play, specifically STMH? It's one I discovered without anyone's help, vertically integrated cannabis play. Should moon.

I think that’s a joke, right?

I’m trying to do the riskier stuff in my Roth but I really have no idea what I’m doing.  😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Might I also recommend setting a little aside for a risky play, specifically STMH? It's one I discovered without anyone's help, vertically integrated cannabis play. Should moon.

Rolling the dice on some penny pot, eh?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

I think that’s a joke, right?

I’m trying to do the riskier stuff in my Roth but I really have no idea what I’m doing.  😂 

I've done riskier stuff in my IRA's (both ROTH and Traditional, really depending on which once has the cash for it) quite a bit, especially since I'm usually out of them quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Swaymoney said:

Rolling the dice on some penny pot, eh?

Yeah - I was joking since that actually hack's pick from earlier, but for a gamble I've seen worse. OTCQX is the best of the OTC markets, much stricter. Model looks good. I try to have a gamble going because I like action but I keep 70% (or so) of retirement pretty much untouched, and the rest is trading around core positions. And then a little craps money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Buying Unity Calls and Stock tomorrow.  I think we could see a a short term 20% gain here.  More of a swing trade.

 

I added to the long term position in my g/f’s account. Saw Ark added, too. These guys aren’t just doing video games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

This is what I did on 12/23 - I had a small balance in my Paypal account so I put half of it in BTC.  That $500 is $994 today.

I added some GBTC to my Roth last week, up 40% right now.  This account is where I'd really like to build some more exposure.  But with MOGO and MSTR up 400% - 600% and RIOT up 1000% in the last 3 months, seems risky to jump in those now.  I do have a few TSLA shares.  So maybe I just keep adding to GBTC, which is "only" up almost 200% in that time?

And just to remind myself I'm not that smart - I bought GBTC back in July at $12.31, and chickened out and sold it a week later for a couple of % gain.  That'd be up 390% right now.

Were you in on NGAC?  They just got an EV truck maker.  Not one of mine, Sally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Buying Unity Calls and Stock tomorrow.  I think we could see a a short term 20% gain here.  More of a swing trade.

 

That's a good catch. Completely missed that it fell. Probably going to be in on this.

What Calls are you looking at?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current rooster, no real order:

AAPL, CRM, ETSY, FVRR, FLGT, SE, AXON, SQ, TSCO, ABNB, LMND, GDRX, U, DKNG, MSFT, CRWD, PINS, STMH

Sold off OESX today for a 20% gain but I think still think it’s going to head to 14/15. The account it’s in has TSCO, SQ, SE, AXON, and ABNB and I’ll use profits for dips in those. Have a decent 11% cash position.

Edited by McBokonon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The SPACs aren't slowing down:

Charlie Bilello @charliebilello

US SPACs, IPO capital raised...

2013: $1 billion

2014: $2 billion

2015: $4 billion

2016: $3 billion

2017: $11 billion

2018: $9 billion

2019: $13 billion

2020: $83 billion

2021 YTD: $38 billion (a billion a day)

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sand said:

Were you in on NGAC?  They just got an EV truck maker.  Not one of mine, Sally.

Nope, NGAB like others here. NGAC back down to $12.98 now.  Checking with my EV guy to get his thoughts on Xos (the target). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, stbugs said:

Not yet and I wish I bought. I’d likely stick to GBTC or it’s kin so that I could maintain it in Fidelity with everything else. It may seem like I am being negative but I’m truly still skeptical like @Wild Young Billy in that there is 0 that has happened that’s life changing.

We are in a current phase of investing where there are so many retail investors jumping in on every “tip” that every penny stock being mentioned anywhere is a winner. Bitcoin is a self fulfilling prophecy that I think has legs but other than being digital gold/a currency or inflation hedge, where is it changing anything? If it’s disrupting gold as an asset then I get that a bit but companies are out to make money. Maybe it’s the heavy involvement of Saylor/Microstrategy that honestly gives me a bad taste. Dude was caught cooking the books back in 2000 and I knew people who worked there. The stock languished for 20 years until he bought Bitcoin. He’s evangelizing because it lines his pockets. It’s funny that there are rich people who are angels and other rich people (some “other” hedge fund guys, some are beloved lol) that are devils. Just amazing how much a tweet can move markets nowadays. 99% of the arguments to invest are driven by the Tesla bought some, Apple might and if enough people buy it it will jump in price. That could be applied to any commodity.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll jump in soon because I want to share in the profits from here but I don’t buy into blockchain changing the world (more than gold does). There were dozens and dozens of business use cases and none of them have materialized outside of Bitcoin ad a good investment/place to park cash. That’s enough to make it a good investment but what’s next?

Also, I probably sound too negative as I was extremely tempted to buy in the Fall. Selling Tilray for a small gain was basically the same level of mistake so we all miss good buys.

Speaking of Tilray, what are your thoughts on this stock now? I bought some in August at $7.00 a share and can’t decide if I should let it run or take some profits.  It was more just for fun money than anything, so tempted to let it run despite it likely being massively overvalued at this point 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JAA said:

I really don't agree with this, respectfully of course.

I ask myself what makes bc valuable?  The value lies in that its limited and untraceable.  That's it.  Heck, even gold can be made into jewelry and conductors.  Bc?  Not so much.

Finally, bc is only valuable when its underlying software is trusted.  Me myself being in software, I don't trust software.  I would advise you also to not trust software.  In an instant, bc could go to zero, literally zero, if a single technical flaw is found which erodes the trust factor.  Gold?  Gold will always have value.

:2cents:

Crypto has value just like the paper currency that we use every day.

A crisp $100 bill is useful for nothing ... can't make jewelry or conductors out of it ... ok, maybe to start a fire.

We can no longer take our paper currency to Fort Knox and demand our reimbursement in gold and silver.

It is perceived value. Everyone understands paper currency has value ... crypto is almost there. Just waiting for the big mainstream players to accept it.

I can't argue about the software ... bud I'd have to believe there are a bazillion safety nets in place to prevent issues. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Crypto has value just like the paper currency that we use every day.

A crisp $100 bill is useful for nothing ... can't make jewelry or conductors out of it ... ok, maybe to start a fire.

We can no longer take our paper currency to Fort Knox and demand our reimbursement in gold and silver.

It is perceived value. Everyone understands paper currency has value ... crypto is almost there. Just waiting for the big mainstream players to accept it.

I can't argue about the software ... bud I'd have to believe there are a bazillion safety nets in place to prevent issues. 

.... the issue that crypto is having is that banks are against it. It circumvents much of there services and fees ...exchange rates and such. Big banks will fight crypto till the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bossman said:

.... the issue that crypto is having is that banks are against it. It circumvents much of there services and fees ...exchange rates and such. Big banks will fight crypto till the end.

If banks would agree to take public crypto (BTC, ETH, etc.) they'd find a way to get fees out of it, most likely claiming that it's a higher risk/more volatile money than US backed dollars. I wouldn't be surprised to see a government backed digital currency, and see banks create some sort of blockchain based token for interbank settlement to solve the 2-5 day wait to transfer funds among banks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

Speaking of Tilray, what are your thoughts on this stock now? I bought some in August at $7.00 a share and can’t decide if I should let it run or take some profits.  It was more just for fun money than anything, so tempted to let it run despite it likely being massively overvalued at this point 

Don’t ask me, I’m the idiot that was happy with a small gain before it took off like a rocket. Based on pre-market, I’d be trimming but I can’t even trim damn it. Like pouring salt in a wound. I’d have a nice big fat chunk of change if I just avoided selling anything this past year. My good calls selling a couple of my big stocks on peak day pales in comparison to losing out on stuff that spiked. In December I didn’t look so bad but there’s stocks getting parabolic every day now. Crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Bought some CMLF.  SPAC targeting life sciences companies that enable and support innovation.  Board of Directors includes Sean George, PhD, CEO Invitae $NVTA and Emily Leproust, PhD, CEO Twist Bioscience $TWST which are both large ARK holdings.

Took a flier on this yesterday.  Up 40% pre-market.  Am I seeing this right?  

Thanks for the post!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...