Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

Just now, SouthJersey said:

Man I'm so old...

I'm reading about RBLX and how it's the 2nd most watched videogame on YouTube.  30 billion views last year (Minecraft had 100B).  I just don't get how kids would enjoy watching others play a game.  I literally got into fights with buddies because they were taking too long of turns on Genesis.  When I was a kid I would rather clean my room instead of watching someone else play and I couldn't.

I was the same way...but then I saw this:

Mom: Would you get off that damn youtube and stop watching other people play damn games!!

Kid: Why?

Mom: 'Cause I need the TV to watch other people buy houses. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • fantasycurse42

    3538

  • stbugs

    3396

  • BassNBrew

    3268

  • Capella

    2069

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

2 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I was the same way...but then I saw this:

Mom: Would you get off that damn youtube and stop watching other people play damn games!!

Kid: Why?

Mom: 'Cause I need the TV to watch other people buy houses. 

Excellent point.  Guilty

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, General Malaise said:

Since the summer of 2018 our firm has been heavily involved with a private helium company that is currently our largest single investment across all funds.  My boss has a board seat and we've written articles that appeared in global news sources about the company and its chief resources the last couple of years.  The helium play is an interesting one in that there are very few public pure plays related to helium and the ones that are aren't good ones, even though a Desert Mountain Energy DMEHF (for example) has exploded over the last 24 months.  

This private company is the real deal.  It's producing currently and the next step will more than likely involve a SPAC vs going the IPO route.  A deal with a major underwriter/brokerage firm has been secured - a strategic relationship with beneficial terms incentivizing the firm to be active in the success upon creation.  Lotta work left to do, but hoping this is a 2021 event and I'll keep the thread posted on any updates that I'm allowed to make.  Pretty exciting times here!


Also, cobalt the metal ticked up again - metal prices were stagnant the last year and a half so this is pretty interesting to follow.  Mentioned last week that investors were dipping their toes back into this one.  Pay attention when that happens.  

@JAA

Okay, so it was 2020.....but, ahem.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

Man I'm so old...

I'm reading about RBLX and how it's the 2nd most watched videogame on YouTube.  30 billion views last year (Minecraft had 100B).  I just don't get how kids would enjoy watching others play a game.  I literally got into fights with buddies because they were taking too long of turns on Genesis.  When I was a kid I would rather clean my room instead of watching someone else play and I couldn't.

I don't get it either.  And that's okay!  Our parents didn't understand the things we were heavily into, their parents couldn't understand the Rock and Roll they liked and so on and so on....

But in 20 + years in the hedge fund space, this is the first time I've actually gotten excited about a gaming stock to the point where I bought it on the IPO and didn't really even care about valuation.  This thing is runaway behemoth.  I don't get it.  I've never played it.  My head spins and I get dizzy watching my kids play it.  But I know addiction.  Oh boy, do I know addiction.  And this thing is the heroin of screen time right now for kids.

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is no longer a war against the hedge funds.

We are fighting the algorithms.  Man vs machine.  

Ape must buy. Ape must hold. Ape must win.

 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthJersey said:

Man I'm so old...

I'm reading about RBLX and how it's the 2nd most watched videogame on YouTube.  30 billion views last year (Minecraft had 100B).  I just don't get how kids would enjoy watching others play a game.  I literally got into fights with buddies because they were taking too long of turns on Genesis.  When I was a kid I would rather clean my room instead of watching someone else play and I couldn't.

Its content.  We would also be fine watching 3 minutes of commercials to get 90 seconds of BA Baracus pittying some fool.  Nowadays, whatever content a kid wants he can get it on demand 24x7.  They dont need to wait till Thursday night after Knight Rider.  Now get off my lawn plz

Edited by JAA
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Man what a weird day. Feels like I say that every day now. 

Better than crack damnit!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Not to halt momentum here, but I've made mention a time or two that we have been working hard on a deal to help bring a private helium company public the last 2 years and have a large position in this company.  Helium  gas is in constrained supply (and has been since the last BLM auction of 2018) and demand continues to increase via tech, semiconductors, medical, space exploration just to name a few.  

There are very few ways to play helium currently.  Not my first mention of this one, but if you're a gambler and like stocks priced at a buck and change, you can do worse than Desert Mountain Energy which has some helium deposits in Arizona. Priced at a $1.85 in the US under DMEHF.  I'd be happy to discuss offline if anybody had more interest.  

There is also Royal Helium and American Helium, but those are hard passes for me/us.  These might also do well once the helium market is galvanized by what we're working on in a 'rising tide lifts all boats' sort of way, but my money is on DMEHF if you're intrigued enough to play this gas.  

Big mistake for the US to let go of it's helium reserve.  Prices have gone way up.  I have heard of new supply coming online in the middle east, but haven't seen that reflected in the price.  Some nat gas wells have it, some don't.  It is expensive to setup the extraction machinery.

I also happen to know the biggest single consumer in the US - glad I don't have their bill for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JAA said:
7 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Back in GME.  Quitting the mafia is easier than this stock. 

Seeing some resistance at 290.  IMO as long as we finish above 265 today its a great sign.  Every day cant be 20%

7 hours is like 50 years in GME time

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sand said:

No (and IMO use of helium for friggin' balloons should be banned).

We can still use it for funny voices, though, right?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

I bet you’re a blast at parties. 
 

;)

Absolutely!

Right now it's a very limited resource and since we use it heavily for things like MRIs there are better uses than balloons.  We can fill balloons with hydrogen instead.  Mini-Hindenburgs.  That will go over incredibly well at parties.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoiler tags don't work here? Really?

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Almost certainly wine
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stbugs said:

I agree with you. Just look at all the discussion in here. Not that long ago it was mainly about good companies that people felt would increase because they were doing well. We’ve got two separate threads on penny stocks and CYDY. This thread is 90% GME. If that doesn’t worry you, nothing will.

The whole theory on GME/others and fighting hedge shorts seems to not jive as well with the overall short interest at all time lows. Seems that the margin interest may be more of the driver and that’s scary because any large dips get exacerbated. The market came roaring back because of stimulus and the hope that that just means more money coming into the market.

I also agree on tech and the secular trend. If people think that these companies aren’t going to be driving growth and big banks and oil will now be driving don’t get it. Sure things rotate because there’s always a herd but those are short term trends. As a long term investor and someone who was alive and working in software back during the dot com bubble, I can tell you that while I know there will be scores of EV and Genetics companies that die on the vine, they are a big part of the future and the dot com era was a time when valuations had nothing to do with reality. There are a lot of non-profitable or just becoming profitable tech companies, but back then there were way more non-revenue companies. It was early, early in the cycle. Tesla didn’t exist. Google wasn’t close to being a public company. The iPhone didn’t exist, heck the iPod didn’t exist until the market had already started its correction. Netflix was a mailing company and I can’t remember if they existed. Amazon was only a couple years public and didn’t have AWS or anywhere near the breadth of reach/sales. Anyone trying to tie the dot com bubble to the tech market today is way off base, they are not even remotely the same.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the long term market and short term, I have no clue.

It's interesting because perma-bear Michael Burry has been screaming "bubble" for a good bit now.  But the interesting part about his take on things is that while he obviously thinks GME and the penny stocks and whatnot are speculative nonsense, he thinks the biggest bubble that is going to massively pop is the mega-caps.  He thinks "the world's largest companies are massively overvalued".  He's talking Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.  Stuff that people consider "safe".

He's just one guy (obviously with a notable track record), but it's an interesting thought.  It's easy to say Apple/Amazon/etc are great companies so they deserve to be worth a lot, but these companies have run a TON in the last few years.

It gets easy to overlook/forget about stuff like Apple adding 5x the total market cap of Netflix to its valuation simply by announcing a stock split, which when you set all the other crazy stuff to the side is mind bendingly insane all on its own.

The current combined market cap of Exxon, Coca Cola, Nike, Wells Fargo, and Pfizer are worth less than the amount the market cap of Microsoft has increased in the last 2 years.  INCREASED.  That's not saying Microsoft is worth more than all of those companies combined.  That's saying Microsoft's value has increased in the last 2 years more than all of those companies are worth combined.  Is that sustainable?  Has Microsoft really grown by the total value of Exxon, Coke, Nike, Wells, and Pfizer in the last 2 years?

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie Harper said:

I'm staying away from Rblx. It's a game and kids will flock to the next big thing. It was huge in 2016 and only came back because of the pandemic. 

Not my experience. In fact, I wound up kicking my kids off of RBLX because of the pandemic. They were turning into zombies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I don't get it either.  And that's okay!  Our parents didn't understand the things we were heavily into, their parents couldn't understand the Rock and Roll they liked and so on and so on....

But in 20 + years in the hedge fund space, this is the first time I've actually gotten excited about a gaming stock to the point where I bought it on the IPO and didn't really even care about valuation.  This thing is runaway behemoth.  I don't get it.  I've never played it.  My head spins and I get dizzy watching my kids play it.  But I know addiction.  Oh boy, do I know addiction.  And this thing is the heroin of screen time right now for kids.

Agree. 3 kids here and none of them or their friends talk about anything else. It doubles as their social life. 
 

As an aside, I looked into creating games because I could see how huge it was going to be, but they also have a bottomless pit of young people developing new games for pennies.  Bad if you are a software guy looking to capitalize on it, but good for their bottom line I’m sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DEADHEAD said:

Not my experience. In fact, I wound up kicking my kids off of RBLX because of the pandemic. They were turning into zombies.

Probably the right decision tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Not to halt momentum here, but I've made mention a time or two that we have been working hard on a deal to help bring a private helium company public the last 2 years and have a large position in this company.  Helium  gas is in constrained supply (and has been since the last BLM auction of 2018) and demand continues to increase via tech, semiconductors, medical, space exploration just to name a few.  

There are very few ways to play helium currently.  Not my first mention of this one, but if you're a gambler and like stocks priced at a buck and change, you can do worse than Desert Mountain Energy which has some helium deposits in Arizona. Priced at a $1.85 in the US under DMEHF.  I'd be happy to discuss offline if anybody had more interest.  

There is also Royal Helium and American Helium, but those are hard passes for me/us.  These might also do well once the helium market is galvanized by what we're working on in a 'rising tide lifts all boats' sort of way, but my money is on DMEHF if you're intrigued enough to play this gas.  

Thanks, I'll be checking it out.  And by that, I mean probably just buy some

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KGB said:

That's friggin awesome! :banned:

It's a mistake.  The valuation is insane.  I just don't see it continuing to grow at 60% YoY.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sand said:

It's a mistake.  The valuation is insane.  I just don't see it continuing to grow at 60% YoY.

I don't know the long term, but I like the validation I feel by seeing ARK buy it

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sand said:

It's a mistake.  The valuation is insane.  I just don't see it continuing to grow at 60% YoY.

A good analogy on CNBC tonight, "it's like giving a star athlete past his prime a fat long term contract."

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

A good analogy on CNBC tonight, "it's like giving a star athlete past his prime a fat long term contract."

Ah, so a Joe Flacco stock...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

So this is the second time they shorted the hell out of GameStop when it got around 350. Makes you wonder what’s behind that wall. 

They need it below 300, or out of the money for the 3/12 $300 calls.  I’m thinking craziness Monday if it finishes like 330 end of week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JAA said:

They need it below 300, or out of the money for the 3/12 $300 calls.  I’m thinking craziness Monday if it finishes like 330 end of week.

I have to say it was a little unsettling how quickly I reloaded on that dip. Like, I didn’t even think about it. I hammered it super fast. I’m into it. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Not to halt momentum here, but I've made mention a time or two that we have been working hard on a deal to help bring a private helium company public the last 2 years and have a large position in this company.  Helium  gas is in constrained supply (and has been since the last BLM auction of 2018) and demand continues to increase via tech, semiconductors, medical, space exploration just to name a few.  

There are very few ways to play helium currently.  Not my first mention of this one, but if you're a gambler and like stocks priced at a buck and change, you can do worse than Desert Mountain Energy which has some helium deposits in Arizona. Priced at a $1.85 in the US under DMEHF.  I'd be happy to discuss offline if anybody had more interest.  

There is also Royal Helium and American Helium, but those are hard passes for me/us.  These might also do well once the helium market is galvanized by what we're working on in a 'rising tide lifts all boats' sort of way, but my money is on DMEHF if you're intrigued enough to play this gas.  

My due diligence checks out. Shall look to make an entrance. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Capella said:

I have to say it was a little unsettling how quickly I reloaded on that dip. Like, I didn’t even think about it. I hammered it super fast. I’m into it. 

Reloaded?

So you panic sold when it dropped?

But we GME apes ... YOLo diamond crank yankers ...rockets and moons and FOMO Hodors! Has DD taught you nothing?

Edited by Bossman
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...