What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

Question as I’m a noob to this stock trading world.  I have 15 shares of GME at 252. What’s the smart play here with GME.  Is it cut loses and buy back when it dips again hoping to trade some gains to get back the loses or sit tight and play the long game.  
Get out at a price you can live with as soon as you can or be prepared to ride it down to $5/share.  This is a gamble, not an investment.  If you want an investment pick proven top S&P 500 companies that you believe in or a mixture of growth and income investment funds.

IMHO.

I love all the people telling us GME is going to be a $5/share stock. Why don't you short it then? It's in the $160s now. Or is 30X too low of a win for you. Meanwhile all these "bluechip sure things" continue to bleed off.

I don't think so. You get shares of the new company. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-08/spac-magic-isn-t-free

We have talked about SPACs before, but I have somehow neglected to express appreciation for the clever and elegant bit of financial engineering at the heart of the SPAC structure. Here’s how a SPAC works:

1. You give me $10.

2. I put your $10 in a pool with a bunch of other people’s $10, held in a trust account at a bank.

3. I give you back one share in the pool (representing $10 of money in the pool), and one-quarter of a warrant to buy another share for $11.50. (The combination of the share and part of a warrant is sometimes called a “unit.”)

4. I try to find a company to take public within two years.

5. If I fail, I give you back your $10 with interest.

6. If I succeed, I merge the pool with the company, giving the company the money in the pool and giving you and your fellow shareholders shares (and warrants) in the new combined company. Also I get a bunch of shares and warrants in the combined company, as a reward for my work.

7. When I do this, I give you the choice to either (a) let your money ride and take a share in the new company or (b) get your $10 back, with interest.
At the height of the SPAC bubble nobody really did this, because it's a hassle and most SPACs with imminent mergers were trading well above NAV -- but it is possible!

Have been reshuffling my portfolio.

Current Holdings(non retirement account)

BTC - added a lot with a basis around 52K
IPOE - holding long, added more this morning

MAR - Stock and Options - swing trade, reopening play

ABNB - Holding Long

CZR - swing trade, reopening play

SI - doubled my position today

30% Cash (which I plan on spending this week)

So looks like a bunch of people got their Biden Bucks today and decided to stash it in the market.  

I love all the people telling us GME is going to be a $5/share stock. Why don't you short it then? It's in the $160s now. Or is 30X too low of a win for you. Meanwhile all these "bluechip sure things" continue to bleed off.
If you're referring to me, I only listed it as a possibility, not a sure thing.  Not near the sure thing that sound investing in the stock market over time has proven is.

A self admitted "noob" was asking for advise.  You wouldn't honestly advise a noob to play games with meme stocks rather than tried and true investment strategies would you?

If you're referring to me, I only listed it as a possibility, not a sure thing.  Not near the sure thing that sound investing in the stock market over time has proven is.

A self admitted "noob" was asking for advise.  You wouldn't honestly advise a noob to play games with meme stocks rather than tried and true investment strategies would you?
Never understood why GameStop is called a meme stock. I am pretty sure it's a real company that is attracting some of the best talent from Chewy, Amazon, and Google. If by meme, you mean a stock that was trading at $5 a few years ago and now is worth a fortune with a bright future, I guess I can roll with that definition. GME should be on everyone's radar as a long term hold. It's the next great ecommerce company.

Yea we are starting to get to the point here where I have to decide if I want to cut bait or not and take a few bucks, but in reality the answer is I am very very stupid and will do nothing. 

a pretty good conspiracy take on what we are seeing with GME and AMC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rockstar_stocks/status/1374869345839423493

and since it feeds directly into my confirmation bias, I like it.
Know thyself is a very good investing axiom

GME should be on everyone's radar as a long term hold. It's the next great ecommerce company.
What are you basing this on? Attracting talented people is a great first step, but you still don't know what the plan is. There's nothing more than hope and conjecture to form this opinion, and there's nothing currently differentiating them from existing channels for the business they're targeting. 

"The gaming retailer's global e-commerce sales increased 175%, representing 34% of the company's total net revenue during the quarter. During the same period last year, e-commerce made up just 12% of total sales."

That's a reason for some optimism. But the Q4 numbers overall are not the numbers of the next great anything, and, "In the near and long-term, we plan to invest a large percentage of our capital in the digital experience as well as our supply chain and technology transformation," could be the near term plan from ANY company's quarterly report.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-08/spac-magic-isn-t-free

At the height of the SPAC bubble nobody really did this, because it's a hassle and most SPACs with imminent mergers were trading well above NAV -- but it is possible!
Yep. This is mostly what I have done. Although I did talk myself into SWFT (partly due to this thread) and have a painful 30% haircut on it. I need to update my SPAC total return calculator, but I have a bought a lot of new issuance from good teams near NAV lately. Almost too much.

There has certainly been an oversupply of SPAC issuance into the market this year. We will need to see issuance to slow to see more appreciation. Still would rather be in these than my Capital One High Yield

Never understood why GameStop is called a meme stock. I am pretty sure it's a real company that is attracting some of the best talent from Chewy, Amazon, and Google. If by meme, you mean a stock that was trading at $5 a few years ago and now is worth a fortune with a bright future, I guess I can roll with that definition. GME should be on everyone's radar as a long term hold. It's the next great ecommerce company.
That's fair.  I wasn't smart enough to buy Amazon when they were an online book selling company in the 90s.  I jumped on after they were more proven as more rounded online seller and AWS in the 00s, then again when they really took off almost 10 years ago.  The difference here though being that GME price has been inflated since January because of meme/reddit, Amazon's price didn't see triple digits until 2009 and then it never looked back.

I don't know what the true value of GME is right now, but, I don't think it's triple digits and if you end up buying it at triple the price now you've got a lot longer road to hoe.  I will wait until I actually see it's ecommerce come to fruition and hopefully a price more representative of it's true value, that's worked for me in the past.  Who knows, maybe it will be 20% of my portfolio along with Amazon someday.

Another good reminder, especially for those who just jumped in over the last year (this article is from 2016) - everything is going to be ok. 

The agony of high returns

I looked at the 10 best stocks to own over the past 20 years. These are all cherry-picked for their stellar returns, and the stocks you would probably choose to own if you had a time machine. On average they increased more than 28,000%.

But they all spent a majority of the time well below their previous high mark. They all had multiple declines of 50% or more. A few had multiple 70% drops.
This is normal for growth stocks. 

Hey all. I've talked myself off the ledge a bit. I'm going to wait until some of my holdings recover, then trim some and move into some more index funds. But I'll keep some play money aside for sure. Just won't put too much pressure on myself to keep actively managing 3 IRA accounts. Thanks all for the great words!

Hey all. I've talked myself off the ledge a bit. I'm going to wait until some of my holdings recover, then trim some and move into some more index funds. But I'll keep some play money aside for sure. Just won't put too much pressure on myself to keep actively managing 3 IRA accounts. Thanks all for the great words!
Fwiw, I just transferred my fun taxable account (fidelity) which is used for our next vehicle into M1 which is just a hold account. So now that's our vehicle and lake house account combined.

I'll continue to trade about ⅓ of our coverdell accounts. (Which ends up being about 5% of our portfolio). 

Capella, this is Capella From The Future and I am begging you to please sell GameStop while it’s up big today. Stop being enticed by big money from a stock whose entire platform is selling downloadable games in an era where you can already download games to your Xbox. In a few months the stock will be worth negative 8 dollars a share and you’ll actually owe Charles Schwab himself money. Also the Bucs still have Tom Brady and he just won his 13th super bowl. He picked up hep-c in Tampa though. 

Question as I’m a noob to this stock trading world.  I have 15 shares of GME at 252. What’s the smart play here with GME.  Is it cut loses and buy back when it dips again hoping to trade some gains to get back the loses or sit tight and play the long game.  
Do you need the money?  If you need the money, dont buy GME.  Id you dont need the money ...

🚀🚀🚀🚀

Whats this weird color im seeing across my stocks.  Kinda like a cross between yellow and blue.  Looks like it may be familiar, but im not entirely sure.
All that money people got from the stimulus package must finally be clearing in their brokerage accounts.

Tomorrow might be a really good day. 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Sold off 2/3 of my QS for about 40% gains.

Half went into CCL, might put the other half in at the end of the day.
This seems like ages ago. Thankfully sold the rest of my QS above 60, and also didn't buy any additional CCL which also cratered.

Bought AAPL, DIS and GBTC today with the rest of the cash.

I have a nice chunk but it’s not enough % wise (about 10%). I should have made some more back in early February when I was thinking about trimming more from some big winners. The market trimmed it for me anyway, woo hoo.
Yea - apparently I started my penny stock gambling at the top.  Its causing me to have to really hunt and peck small profits to bring the cash back.  In addition, I struggle every day whether I should sell or hold my 3x bagger.  I believe it could be a 10x with some nice FU money.

I know this sounds trite, but buy low and sell high.  If the stock is low, simply do not sell.  Log out of your account and come back in a year.

You only need to worry about opportunity cost if you are a day trader.

Do you need the money?  If you need the money, dont buy GME.  Id you dont need the money ...

🚀🚀🚀🚀
Need the money is a loaded question as who doesn't, lol, but no the money invested in that trading account was set aside to learn stock trading and I was/am prepared to lose it.   I sold at 162 and will sit on that for a bit.  Will likely look to rebuy in if it dips in to the 140s again.

• Smile
Capella, this is Capella From The Future and I am begging you to please sell GameStop while it’s up big today. Stop being enticed by big money from a stock whose entire platform is selling downloadable games in an era where you can already download games to your Xbox. In a few months the stock will be worth negative 8 dollars a share and you’ll actually owe Charles Schwab himself money. Also the Bucs still have Tom Brady and he just won his 13th super bowl. He picked up hep-c in Tampa though. 
In all seriousness - there will never be a time when all commerce is e-commerce.  People will continue to want Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, and clothing stores.  Sure, they will not have a monopoly, they will have to change their business model, but we humans are social (except my GenZ'rs kids apparently).  We will always want to go into a store.  GME has what all those other Media and Publishers dont have.  They have storefront.  They also have a brand - Game Stop.  I mean, how many people really know who Ubisoft is?  Do they know the company is in Canada?  People know Game Stop.

Im here for the moons, but Im also long on GME.

Need the money is a loaded question as who doesn't, lol, but no the money invested in that trading account was set aside to learn stock trading and I was/am prepared to lose it.   I sold at 162 and will sit on that for a bit.  Will likely look to rebuy in if it dips in to the 140s again.
When I first started (and apparently have learned nothing BTW) when I bought a stock it I called it a Medium term investment.  I figured 5-10 years and then sell.  I figured I had my long term in my 401k/IRAs and I had my short term cash.  This was my Medium term so when I bought, I forgot.  I wasnt trying to day trade, I was trying to pick winners.  I got my first real winner here (forgot who recommended) IRBT.  I bought that stock simply based on a FFA recommendation 12/8/10 and sold it 03/15/21 and made 500% on the deal (HEY LOOK AT ME!!).  Nothing wrong with buying and leaving.

I know this sounds trite, but buy low and sell high.  If the stock is low, simply do not sell.  Log out of your account and come back in a year.

You only need to worry about opportunity cost if you are a day trader.
yup...and diversify.  My Kroger stock is up 15% (all bought in the last 3 months) plus one dividend.  It was a great place to dip into today to buy some DM at $15.69 this morning.  

yup...and diversify.  My Kroger stock is up 15% (all bought in the last 3 months) plus one dividend.  It was a great place to dip into today to buy some DM at $15.69 this morning.  
It seems weird, but my best 4 stocks this past month - wolverine, home depot, Kroger, discover. 🤷🏽‍♂️

In all seriousness - there will never be a time when all commerce is e-commerce.  People will continue to want Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, and clothing stores.  Sure, they will not have a monopoly, they will have to change their business model, but we humans are social (except my GenZ'rs kids apparently).  We will always want to go into a store.  GME has what all those other Media and Publishers dont have.  They have storefront.  They also have a brand - Game Stop.  I mean, how many people really know who Ubisoft is?  Do they know the company is in Canada?  People know Game Stop.

Im here for the moons, but Im also long on GME.
GameStop is still one of my kids favorite stores. I really shoulda kept when I had bought at like $10. 😢

• Sad

Users who are viewing this thread