What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (21 Viewers)

There are a lot of smart people in this thread, maybe you can confirm what I am thinking as I am not smart on this topic. 

I have 20 years until retirement and am about 80% invested in equities. 

If inflation causes a lot of volatility for the near future am I correct in just riding it out?  

There are a lot of smart people in this thread, maybe you can confirm what I am thinking as I am not smart on this topic. 

If inflation causes a lot of volatility for the near future am I correct in just riding it out?  
Over 20 years, just about anything is worth riding out. Folks who were 20 years out in 2008 are fine now, though with seven years left, it might be time to tweak.

It's a matter of risk tolerance, but I'd strongly recommend keeping your set portfolio, maybe check once every 6 months and ignoring the noise unless you enjoy the process of trying to beat the market. I'm 12-15 years from Retirement, almost all equities. But in my wife's IRA, which mirrors what I'd recommend to most people, she's 15% VTIP. 

Over 20 years, just about anything is worth riding out. Folks who were 20 years out in 2008 are fine now, though with seven years left, it might be time to tweak.
Yep. It's possible those who sold out in an 2007 would be better off today but good luck timing that correctly.

Sold almost all my UWMC this morning at $8.40. so at least that's a positive for the day.
Thanks for the reminder on this. I had bought it a little high the first time, so today was a green exit finally.

Will probably re-buy if it drops down again. 

Any interest in Capstone (CAPC)?  Not sure if mentioned before but went back to see and couldn't find anything.  

currently 1.65 on OTC.  Rumors of NAZ uplist, and the whole dog/pony show heard before.  Shareholder meeting this week.  

Working on the smart mirror tech to be available soon and in a store near you.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a matter of risk tolerance, but I'd strongly recommend keeping your set portfolio, maybe check once every 6 months and ignoring the noise unless you enjoy the process of trying to beat the market. I'm 12-15 years from Retirement, almost all equities. But in my wife's IRA, which mirrors what I'd recommend to most people, she's 15% VTIP. 

Yep. It's possible those who sold out in an 2007 would be better off today but good luck timing that correctly.
That’s the problem with jumping out is that you have to jump back in quickly or else stuff jumps and you sit around waiting for a better entry and never do it. Or, worse, they see the cash hanging around and decide to spend some of it. I just read something about the outflows and inflows for the ARK main fund and it mentioned that most people got in during November and were all underwater at this point. That’s why most retail investors do poorly. They chase gains and typically get in after the run up. The April to November run was huge so if you missed it, you bought high and maybe even already jumped ship and will miss the bounce back.

I agree with this.  You have 20 years until you retire.  Once you retire you don't need all the money at once.  You will hopefully need that money for another 20 to 30 years.  Some people think of it as buckets of money.  I need 1 bucket for the first year and another bucket for the 2nd year and so on.  So only a portion of the total needs to be more secure.  As OZ said it is a matter of risk tolerance as to how quickly you shift the money.

Any interest in Capstone (CAPC)?  Not sure if mentioned before but went back to see and couldn't find anything.  

currently 1.65 on OTC.  Rumors of NAZ uplist, and the whole dog/pony show heard before.  Shareholder meeting this week.  

Working on the smart mirror tech to be available soon and in a store near you.  
Interesting but aside from working out (there’s established products for that), I couldn’t think of a good reason to sit in front of my mirror longer than getting ready in the morning. Just feel like your phone, head implant/glasses, TV, personal assistant (like an Echo) and the like are more likely to be in places that you’d spend enough time to need a smart assistant. 

It's time to start selling off a very specific group of stocks. Those that don't provide the , "vote for all board members" or "vote board members individually" option. Think I have carpal tunnell now.

It's time to start selling off a very specific group of stocks. Those that don't provide the , "vote for all board members" or "vote board members individually" option. Think I have carpal tunnell now.
I threw away another 15-20 of them this morning. I still don’t know why I can access/vote in Fidelity’s site/app but the little checkboxes that say edelivery of everything are useless.

I agree with this.  You have 20 years until you retire.  Once you retire you don't need all the money at once.  You will hopefully need that money for another 20 to 30 years.  Some people think of it as buckets of money.  I need 1 bucket for the first year and another bucket for the 2nd year and so on.  So only a portion of the total needs to be more secure.  As OZ said it is a matter of risk tolerance as to how quickly you shift the money.
Great point on the not needing everything year 1. You can’t ignore growth in retirement as well, just need to ensure you’ve got a nice cushion of safe stuff to weather a storm. The Financial Crisis happened, the dot com bubble happened and the pandemic drop happened but if you had enough time, you recovered and then some. Time is a great equalizer and helps smooth out the bumps but also gives you access to the higher returns.

Great point on the not needing everything year 1. You can’t ignore growth in retirement as well, just need to ensure you’ve got a nice cushion of safe stuff to weather a storm. The Financial Crisis happened, the dot com bubble happened and the pandemic drop happened but if you had enough time, you recovered and then some. Time is a great equalizer and helps smooth out the bumps but also gives you access to the higher returns.
Right. This is the reason the pie cake makes sense.

Was just going to say that, I listened to 2 episodes of Retirement Answer Man this morning.  Completely different allocation strategies, depending on when you'll need the money.
Big fan. 

Not everything is pertinent right now, but there's a lot of things to consider and I like the way he breaks retirement down. It's not just finances.

Agree with everything everyone replied so far, but, one thing I didn't see mentioned is to make sure your portfolio is diversified enough to withstand any one or group of stocks going bust.  If it's set it and forget it maybe look at mixture of mutual funds that will take care of the diversity for you.  If you do a bunch of individual stocks make sure to pick proven S&P blue-chip companies in a variety of different markets (not just tech stocks for example) and most importantly pick companies that you believe in.  

I probably should sell the rest of my C and WFC.  It's a kick in the nads knowing I when 10% those two last fall and 90% Bezos and seeing them up 125% and 108% plus a dividend along the way to rub more salt int he wound.

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
.  If you do a bunch of individual stocks make sure to pick proven S&P blue-chip companies in a variety of different markets (not just tech stocks for example) and most importantly pick companies that you believe in.  
I get why that is solid advice, but if you're keeping yourself to only large cap companies, you're limiting your portfolio.

One option would be to select some companies like that and add like 20-30% small or micro cap in ETFs and international.

I have 15 companies in my IRA now, I think ten are in the S&P 500. 

GOLD has been on a nice run lately.  Tempting to sell some and shift it to Bitcoin.  Tough decision as I could see another 20% upside with GOLD, but GTBC can do that in a week.

I get why that is solid advice, but if you're keeping yourself to only large cap companies, you're limiting your portfolio.

One option would be to select some companies like that and add like 20-30% small or micro cap in ETFs and international.

I have 15 companies in my IRA now, I think ten are in the S&P 500. 
Sure, agree.  It just sounded like not knowing and picking stocks which in that case are usually big names. That's why I suggested mutual funds.  I have a brokerage account that has 5 big hitter stocks and 5 mutual funds that has done really well.  

Sure, agree.  It just sounded like not knowing and picking stocks which in that case are usually big names. That's why I suggested mutual funds.  I have a brokerage account that has 5 big hitter stocks and 5 mutual funds that has done really well.  
That's the way I like it.  👍

Uh huh uh huh... 

Watching the Russell 2000 and Dow try to make it back to 0% over the last 20 minutes.

"YOU CAN DO IT!"

Anyone who owns High Tide Inc care to explain to a newb like myself what I'm supposed to do next?  It's all jacked up in my Etrade account.  

Revenue of $11.3 million, up 35% from the fourth quarter of 2020 and up 234% from the first quarter of 2020. Projected '21 revenue growth of over 500%. 

Accelerated customer adoption, adding more customers in the first quarter of 2021 than all of 2020 combined

Completed redemption of all outstanding public warrants

I mean, if you bought a company with $18M in '20 revenue for $15+, what were you expecting them to do in Q1 '21? 

I don’t know the company but what’s happening?
There's a 15/1 share consolidation that happened on 5/12 split and it's now trading under a new symbol.  My etrade account the ticker went from HITIF to 42981E104 and it's been at the same price/number of shares since Wed with no volume.  Trading is happening under the new ticker.  I assume eventually my shares will be converted but not sure how long that typically takes or if I need to do anything.  

Revenue of $11.3 million, up 35% from the fourth quarter of 2020 and up 234% from the first quarter of 2020. Projected '21 revenue growth of over 500%. 

Accelerated customer adoption, adding more customers in the first quarter of 2021 than all of 2020 combined

I mean, if you bought a company with $18M in '20 revenue for $15+, what were you expecting them to do in Q1 '21? 
I dunno, I just like blindly bagging on Chamath.

That summary sounds pretty good, though. Thought they sounded interesting at the time but lost track.

One of the MILFs on my kid's baseball team said you can make wine with a Instapot. 

ETA

Found this

$DEA yielding around 5.2% right now. I was going to move my HSA $$ into WPC (5.68%), but I'm already in it. Might not be a bad move to diversify into government. Anyone watch this closely? @Sand?

It's been on a steady decline the last year, and is within 5% of its March '20 low. Makes me wonder if I'm missing something significant.

Users who are viewing this thread