What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (20 Viewers)

I have 2k to throw at something highly speculative. I have enough AMC/GME. Anyone want to pitch something fun?
Not sure if it's fun, but I've been scaling into OPEN. Beaten down, has Chamath stink all over it. Still might go below 10 yet but is looking to have rev in the $8-$10 B range next year and creep toward profitability. Sitting at $8B now and I'm looking for a double in 6-12 months on a sentiment reversal. Also seems like at worst a neutral play if not better suited for inflationary environment IF those fears pan out.

I have 2k to throw at something highly speculative. I have enough AMC/GME. Anyone want to pitch something fun?
Look into TRCH... merger with with meta material happening soon and it will be paying a special dividend from a sell off of oil land. I’m in for 1000 shares just to see what the dividend will be... some people are saying a couple bucks some are saying could be $20 so who knows.

Edit to add: I’m a complete moron though so do your DD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into TRCH... merger with with meta material happening soon and it will be paying a special dividend from a sell off of oil land. I’m in for 1000 shares just to see what the dividend will be... some people are saying a couple bucks some are saying could be $20 so who knows.
In for 690 shares. I don't mind an oil play to offset all of the clean energy stuff I have long. 

I wish I had bigger 🎱🎱's  :(

~15% gain in less than 2 days in a company I like :shrug:
Lol. Tell me about it. I was beating the UPST drum the last week and the week prior with earnings when it was in the 80s. I certainly wasn’t thinking that in 5 trading days it would go from 80 to 140. SMH. Glad I own some but I definitely have enough other stuff that I could have sold (like KALA over $8 and CLOV at $11) and cash.

It’s risky to push all in but sometimes you just have to trust your gut on something you like.

Palo Alto Networks (NYSE:PANW) FQ3:

• Non-GAAP EPS of $1.38 beats by $0.09
  • GAAP EPS of -$1.50 misses by $0.34.
  • Revenue of $1.07B (+23.1% Y/Y) beats by $10M.
  • Fiscal third quarter billings grows 27% year over year to $1.3 billion.
  • Deferred revenue grows 30% year over year to $4.4 billion.
2021 Outlook: 

• Total billings in the range of $5.28 billion to $5.30 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 23%
  • Total revenue in the range of $4.20 billion to $4.21 billion, representing year-over-year growth between 23% and 24%
  • Diluted non-GAAP net income per share in the range of $5.97 to $5.99, using 99 million to 101 million shares
  • Adjusted free cash flow margin of approximately 30%.

Don't see the '21 GAAP number atm and not yet sure what drove the GAAP miss in Q3.

Stimmies run out, Kohl's will run dry.  But that kind of drop is still kind of a head scratcher.  It isn't at 30x P/S or anything crazy.
It's like .75x, but I'm not sure that's a good measure for a brick and mortar purveyor of goods.  PE of 13.5 based on guidance.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy this, just trying to understand what they needed to do to not see 10% shaved off the share price.

The Wildcard Wednesday Motley Fool podcast from last week was pretty interesting. It was about a company called Nelnet (NNI). It essentially has a large amount of student loan receivables. Not a sexy business, but they are trading near book value so they are a small cap value play.

The interesting part seems to be that they are using these inflows to seed smaller venture capital type of investments as well as return capital to shareholders via buybacks (page 11). One of the largest of these such investments has become Hudl, which has been a growing presence I have seen in both college sports and golf. The former is about to experience allowing players to monetize their likeness.

I always like these sorts of long term stories where companies try to plant a lot of acorns that could become oaks (I think that is a Bezos phrase). Just thought some of y'all would find it interesting. Opened a slightly more than starter on it, but not very big.

The Wildcard Wednesday Motley Fool podcast from last week was pretty interesting. It was about a company called Nelnet (NNI). It essentially has a large amount of student loan receivables. Not a sexy business, but they are trading near book value so they are a small cap value play.

The interesting part seems to be that they are using these inflows to seed smaller venture capital type of investments as well as return capital to shareholders via buybacks (page 11). One of the largest of these such investments has become Hudl, which has been a growing presence I have seen in both college sports and golf. The former is about to experience allowing players to monetize their likeness.

I always like these sorts of long term stories where companies try to plant a lot of acorns that could become oaks (I think that is a Bezos phrase). Just thought some of y'all would find it interesting. Opened a slightly more than starter on it, but not very big.
Well that makes sense now.  Buy in the fall and sit in the ground doing nothing for 6 months and then grow slowly.

Stimmies run out, Kohl's will run dry.  But that kind of drop is still kind of a head scratcher.  It isn't at 30x P/S or anything crazy.
Total speculation here on my part but I look at this company similar to BLMN and wonder how on earth is it worth more post-covid than pre? BLMN is up 50% compared to pre-Jan 2020, Kohl’s is closer but a triple in the last 6 months and still worth more than it was pre-pandemic. They are blowing away earnings estimates but those earnings estimates are still significantly below what they were pre-pandemic.

Might not be a bad value/contrarian play. I would guess they got completely wrecked by suspended SL payments and the rumors of SL forgiveness so it would make sense they are trading near book value. Sounds like a classic Peter Lynch investment

Thanks. I have a very crude litmus test for looking at companies I've never heard of, you'd laugh if I told ya. But, this passes the test. 

Thanks. I have a very crude litmus test for looking at companies I've never heard of, you'd laugh if I told ya. But, this passes the test. 
Same here actually. That's how I end up with some many damn tickers. :lol:

This one seems like something I may put more into, just been meaning to point folks to that podcast.

Total speculation here on my part but I look at this company similar to BLMN and wonder how on earth is it worth more post-covid than pre? BLMN is up 50% compared to pre-Jan 2020, Kohl’s is closer but a triple in the last 6 months and still worth more than it was pre-pandemic. They are blowing away earnings estimates but those earnings estimates are still significantly below what they were pre-pandemic.
I’ve mentioned this same thing in here about BLMN as well. There’s this kind of thought that everything non-growth/tech is a value play and cheap because the re-opening but if you look at stocks like JPM and BLMN, they are at ATHs even though they aren’t fully back business wise to 2019. Banks had great quarters mainly due to those rule changes that let them take reserves and roll them back into revenue or earnings. Same with Kohl’s and other retailers that actually did well in the pandemic. It wasn’t just Zoom that gained tons of revenue, HD, Walmart, Target, Lowe’s, etc. all benefited hugely from stimmies and being the only places around to buy stuff. Q2 YoY has been something that more companies, not just WFH/tech stocks have mentioned as harder comparisons. Q1 was much easier because people were just starting to close up a bit and not going out because no one knew.

Banks had great quarters mainly due to those rule changes that let them take reserves and roll them back into revenue or earnings. 
That isn't a rule change, that is just how reserves work when there are less charge-offs than you reserve for. The rule change was CECL at the start of 2020, which effectively makes banks reserve for losses more conservatively (based on future scenarios).

That isn't a rule change, that is just how reserves work when there are less charge-offs than you reserve for. The rule change was CECL at the start of 2020, which effectively makes banks reserve for losses more conservatively (based on future scenarios).
Got it, I don’t know the rule specifics but the reserves not being reserves anymore made their quarterly numbers better. That’s a one time thing and more of a re-allocation of their existing money, right? It’s not the same as adding another million clients and gaining revenue from them in client fees.

$GLBE looks interesting. Under the radar IPO last week, didn’t crater or moonshot but has been strong overall. They facilitate cross-border e-commerce, backed by Shopify and just partnered with Facebook.

Has actual earnings, growing like crazy. Israeli and founder-led. I’m starting a small position and will watch it for a quarter or so and see its first earnings before deciding to add more.

Got it, I don’t know the rule specifics but the reserves not being reserves anymore made their quarterly numbers better. That’s a one time thing and more of a re-allocation of their existing money, right? It’s not the same as adding another million clients and gaining revenue from them in client fees.
Correct. It is the reversal of losses they would have booked via reserves in the 1Q20/2Q20. Pretty sure all banks report their outstanding reserves in the earnings supplement. There will be more to come the rest of the year. You also have buyback announcements that will follow the annual stress test results (in probably about a month) after banks being restricted from that last year.

I think this was all really clear a year ago and the thesis is almost played out. At some point, the focus will return to the bold somewhat. 

Correct. It is the reversal of losses they would have booked via reserves in the 1Q20/2Q20. Pretty sure all banks report their outstanding reserves in the earnings supplement. There will be more to come the rest of the year. You also have buyback announcements that will follow the annual stress test results (in probably about a month) after banks being restricted from that last year.

I think this was all really clear a year ago and the thesis is almost played out. At some point, the focus will return to the bold somewhat. 
Right, that’s what I was getting at. Kind of like how BLMN seems a bit expensive considering they are worth we’ll more than 2019 and aren’t doing as well (costs for restaurants going up) and JPM has considerable Fintech competition now. At $90 and below, they were a good buy, but some of these value plays are up as many times as the growth/tech stocks since the dip last March.

Right, that’s what I was getting at. Kind of like how BLMN seems a bit expensive considering they are worth we’ll more than 2019 and aren’t doing as well (costs for restaurants going up) and JPM has considerable Fintech competition now. At $90 and below, they were a good buy, but some of these value plays are up as many times as the growth/tech stocks since the dip last March.
The bigger banks are basically utilities. So the story is going to mostly be about how they return capital and reduce costs.

Jamie Dimon did make an interesting point in his letter to shareholders that Fintech companies (particularly ones that lend/take deposits) are not being covered by the same regulations as banks are. I would expect pressure on regulators to do so to increase. Right now this entire De-Fi space is basically unregulated banking complete with unknown leverage and rehypthecation of tokens. That is very risky behavior. 

Taking a small position in F.  Hoping tonights reveal and all the associated free advertising gives this a little pop tomorrow.
Hope you guys tailed me on this.  Sold for a 11% gain in 2 days.  Should have shoved all in but when something is this obvious I always talk myself into being conservative.  

I bought NVDA this week, looking for a gaming play. Happy with the results so far...
Anybody ever take a look at TSM?  Apparently they are the only ones that make the super small chips used in all new cars etc. and NVDA is quite a bit behind them in chip technology.  I try to stay away from over seas companies with that much of a threat from China, but, they seem to have a nice little corner of the market.

Anybody ever take a look at TSM?  Apparently they are the only ones that make the super small chips used in all new cars etc. and NVDA is quite a bit behind them in chip technology.  I try to stay away from over seas companies with that much of a threat from China, but, they seem to have a nice little corner of the market.
Bought 100 shares last October at $89. Been a nice return. Based on my purchase price, it’s probably about a 2% dividend for as well. I can’t imagine I’ll sell it anytime so, just a long term hold.

$GLBE looks interesting. Under the radar IPO last week, didn’t crater or moonshot but has been strong overall. They facilitate cross-border e-commerce, backed by Shopify and just partnered with Facebook.

Has actual earnings, growing like crazy. Israeli and founder-led. I’m starting a small position and will watch it for a quarter or so and see its first earnings before deciding to add more.
Or, instead of this profitable growth company whose a leader in a burgeoning sector, you can hop into $BOWX, the SPAC that’s bringing WeWork public. This historic bringer of value just announced they lost a mere $2.1 billion last quarter.

Or, instead of this profitable growth company whose a leader in a burgeoning sector, you can hop into $BOWX, the SPAC that’s bringing WeWork public. This historic bringer of value just announced they lost a mere $2.1 billion last quarter.
I wouldn’t touch that stock with a ten foot pole. So much stink on it from that ex-CEO.

@Buckna Since you were talking about BLMN which has soared as a recovery stock, here’s a good article on other companies like that who got beat to heck at the beginning of the pandemic.

For instance, it talks about how Delta’s debt has tripled while trying to keep the business afloat and how it’s technically valued today at a higher price than it was back in 2019 when things were rosy. Same with cruise lines. While the stock price may look palatable, you are paying for dilution and huge debt increases so the “price” of the stock really isn’t apples to apples with pre-pandemic. 

Own. No plans on selling soon. Have thought about adding multiple times. The only thing not to like it political risk imo.

Users who are viewing this thread