What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

Im talking about the realities of today also.

I dont find the point compelling.
In order for digital games to be resold, there’s going to need to be some favorable court decisions. Right now, the developers and gaming companies prevent it from happening, but there’s been mixed results in related court cases so far. Right now, the reality of today is digital creators can prevent resale.

Why should any creators receive any compensation for the reselling of their original creation?
because you need their buy-in. They are currently selling non-transferable licenses.
I fundamentally disagree.

If I resell my Topps baseball card, Topps should receive a cut?

If I resell the painting by David Dodds which I purchased, should he (you) get a cut?

In order for digital games to be resold, there’s going to need to be some favorable court decisions. Right now, the developers and gaming companies prevent it from happening, but there’s been mixed results in related court cases so far. Right now, the reality of today is digital creators can prevent resale.
I believe this is different.  For digital content, like Amazon videos, Steam games, etc - you dont own the content.  You are paying for the right to use content.  I believe this is completely different.

If your purchase a license key, that is absolutely transferrable.

I fundamentally disagree.

If I resell my Topps baseball card, Topps should receive a cut?

If I resell the painting by David Dodds which I purchased, should he (you) get a cut?
Your point is valid. Nobody is arguing against what “should” be allowed right now. It’s just not today’s practice and you’ll need legal decisions to make it happen.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I believe this is different.  For digital content, like Amazon videos, Steam games, etc - you dont own the content.  You are paying for the right to use content.  I believe this is completely different.

If your purchase a license key, that is absolutely transferrable.
No, it’s not. Should it be? Maybe, but Gamestop or someone will have to challenge the legality of non-transferrable licenses and win.

No, it’s not. Should it be? Maybe, but Gamestop or someone will have to challenge the legality of non-transferrable licenses and win.
This is why you shouldn’t take these reddit theories on what Cohen is going to do at face value. They never seem to look into the reality of making their fantasies happen. Like most conspiracy theories, they break down when you try to actually operationalize them.

This is different than just playing the price action, which I hope is what everyone is ultimately only doing with this. There’s definitely validity in riding this wave outside of the conspiracy stuff.

Well, since Xbox and PS4 only allow you to enter the code once, what’s your play? They sell the game with their conditions. Unless that changes, this is wishful thinking. Again, why would any game creator or Microsoft/Sony not just create their own NFTs if they decided to allow for resales? I don’t seem them allowing resales, but there is no special technology or secret sauce that would keep them from just expanding their online stores that you can get to within the console.

Whether or not you think it’s not compelling doesn’t negate that that’s how it is and that there is zero moat anyone has outside of the consoles/game creators.

Did you buy MUDS? One of the key things people in here liked was that they would continue to get royalties as people traded the “cards” to others.

I think the idea is that those who lent their shares out will recall them, because if they don’t they won’t receive the dividend. ETA: Or whatever Dodds said.

Honestly, this seems like another reddit dream (“the board is going to recall the shares even though that’s not really a thing!”) hoping Ryan Cohen will follow in the footsteps of the former Overstock CEO who dreamt the idea up before leaving the company, selling all of his stock, and disclosing his multi-year affair with a confirmed Russian agent. He’s also a conspiracy theorist.

I do think HBO could make a decent Patrick Byrne movie, though. I’d watch.

Fundamentals aside, though, that chart looks pretty good.
Not to mention that Overstock never actually did this because the brokers said they would take cash equivalents instead of the crypto dividend. This seems like attempt to combine two conspiracy minded sets of investors into the same mania. Check out Overstock's chart for last August.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why you shouldn’t take these reddit theories on what Cohen is going to do at face value. They never seem to look into the reality of making their fantasies happen. Like most conspiracy theories, they break down when you try to actually operationalize them.

This is different than just playing the price action, which I hope is what everyone is ultimately only doing with this. There’s definitely validity in riding this wave outside of the conspiracy stuff.
Yep, stuff we’re talking about it the actual business side of things. Short term swings in these stocks have 0 to do with that, which is a bit scary.

Loving ZS. It’s still down a bit from the high, but it’s nice when your original investment pops 50% in a day. Makes the overall return look nice.

Well, since Xbox and PS4 only allow you to enter the code once, what’s your play? They sell the game with their conditions. Unless that changes, this is wishful thinking. Again, why would any game creator or Microsoft/Sony not just create their own NFTs if they decided to allow for resales? I don’t seem them allowing resales, but there is no special technology or secret sauce that would keep them from just expanding their online stores that you can get to within the console.

Whether or not you think it’s not compelling doesn’t negate that that’s how it is and that there is zero moat anyone has outside of the consoles/game creators.
I dont believe it makes sense from a customer standpoint.  Either I own something, or I dont.  If Im renting something, I do not own it.

I dont believe it makes sense from a customer standpoint.  Either I own something, or I dont.  If Im renting something, I do not own it.
You do understand you appear to be discussing something we aren’t, right? You are talking about how you think things SHOULD work, which I’m not sure I even disagree with, and we’re talking about how things DO work.

You do understand you appear to be discussing something we aren’t, right? You are talking about how you think things SHOULD work, which I’m not sure I even disagree with, and we’re talking about how things DO work.
Funny :)

I believe Im discussing how things do work, you are discussing on how you think things should work.

Funny :)

I believe Im discussing how things do work, you are discussing on how you think things should work.
:shrug: I don’t even know how to reply. There’s literally been court cases litigating what we’re talking about. You own a game license which, when you bought it, you agreed was non-transferrable. That’s currently legal. Re-sellers need to convince courts that shouldn’t be legal. There’s no gray area here. SHOULD game licenses be transferable? Sure, maybe. But right now that’s not the case. It just isn’t.

Did you buy MUDS? One of the key things people in here liked was that they would continue to get royalties as people traded the “cards” to others.
Not only do they sell games with their conditions, they are mostly moving to selling games as a service....across multiple platforms. Difficult to imagine they could compete with something like Steam on cost or Microsoft/Sony on content without essentially acquiring some 3rd party developer with a few AAA games.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s currently legal. Re-sellers need to convince courts that shouldn’t be legal.
Why?  Thats how it works today and I believe it is how it should continue to work.  If you buy something you agree is not-transferrable, why should the courts change that?

Not only do they sell games with their conditions, they are mostly moving to selling games as a service....across multiple platforms. Difficult to imagine they could compete with something like Steam on cost or Microsoft/Sony on content without essentially acquiring some 3rd party developer with a few AAA games.
And just wait until better versions of Stadia happen and it’s all streamed, anyway. 5G will lead to this.

:shrug: I don’t even know how to reply. There’s literally been court cases litigating what we’re talking about. You own a game license which, when you bought it, you agreed was non-transferrable. That’s currently legal. Re-sellers need to convince courts that shouldn’t be legal. There’s no gray area here. SHOULD game licenses be transferable? Sure, maybe. But right now that’s not the case. It just isn’t.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGgaI-BcI4

Why?  Thats how it works today and I believe it is how it should continue to work.  If you buy something you agree is not-transferrable, why should the courts change that?
I don’t care about “should.” Resellers have tried to make it so the non-transferable condition itself is not allowed, with some mixed success. 
The original post that started this was Dodds stating, as fact, that Gamestop would soon be reselling previously owned digital games. We’re just saying there’s going to need to be major changes for that to happen. If you’re just thinking they’ll sell new games, sure, they can do that if the developers think that’ll help them.

Not to be rude, but just because you don’t believe it makes sense doesn’t mean that it hasn’t already happened and is in place and not likely to change.

Honestly, in terms of the downloaded games, the legalese may be something like a forever rental on one PS4/5 or one instance kind of like you can have X number of active streams with Netflix. You own one instance of the game under one account and you can move it if you upgrade the console under the same account. Basically, you do own it but it’s a limited use license.

There’s been a zillion non-transferable things purchased. Consider it a warranty for the original owner and you can’t sell it to the next guy or girl.

I don’t care about “should.” Resellers have tried to make it so the non-transferable condition itself is not allowed, with some mixed success. 
The original post that started this was Dodds stating, as fact, that Gamestop would soon be reselling previously owned digital games. We’re just saying there’s going to need to be major changes for that to happen. If you’re just thinking they’ll sell new games, sure, they can do that if the developers think that’ll help them.
In my opinion you are getting caught up in "digital".  People have been reselling license codes (not actual hard copies of software) for decades.  Regarding re-sellers, ill say it again ... you cant re-sell something you dont own.

Integrating NFT/blockchain isnt a silver bullet here.  NFT doesnt solve DRM and if you believe it does, then I dont think you understand the underlying technologies.

Im happy to bow out of this conversation.  We seem to be talking past each other.

:banned:

Not to be rude, but just because you don’t believe it makes sense doesn’t mean that it hasn’t already happened and is in place and not likely to change.

Honestly, in terms of the downloaded games, the legalese may be something like a forever rental on one PS4/5 or one instance kind of like you can have X number of active streams with Netflix. You own one instance of the game under one account and you can move it if you upgrade the console under the same account. Basically, you do own it but it’s a limited use license.

There’s been a zillion non-transferable things purchased. Consider it a warranty for the original owner and you can’t sell it to the next guy or girl.
Sure.  Hence why I stated it as my opinion and not fact.  See what I did there?

For your concept in the second paragraph, please explain to me the difference in that point to Steam.  IMHO they are the same thing which already means its solved.  FWIW - I could sell my steam account as I do own the rights to log into it.

I was gonna give really good stonks advice.........but then I got high

Sorry for the boring ask, but does anyone have a recommendation on a nice 4-5% dividend stock with nice growth potential as well? Trying to rebalance some stuff here, need some safety with swoon capability.
Depends on what you mean by nice growth potential and what kind of timeline you're looking for. Will 20-ish% in the next 1-2 years work? If you're looking for more/faster, don't bother to read this. If that works...

WPC is rock solid, it's still yielding over 5.5%, it's up 10% from where I bought in, and it has another 17% to go just to get back to pre-COVID prices. I think there's still upside from there as we reopen, rates remain low, and new businesses start to replace those lost during the pandemic. And I'm willing to collect 5.5% as long as I have to in order to find out. 

They'll reach dividend aristocrat status pretty soon ('22, I believe. If not, '23), and that will add them to the radars of some additional people/institutions/funds when it happens. That status is a magnet for income investors, and some companies lost it with dividend cuts over the last year+. 

Here is a nice comparison between how they performed during COVID vs what is considered a similar REIT. I have to think that's a decent representation of how they perform in the absolute worst conditions. Hopefully we don't have to test it again anytime soon.

Sure.  Hence why I stated it as my opinion and not fact.  See what I did there?

For your concept in the second paragraph, please explain to me the difference in that point to Steam.  IMHO they are the same thing which already means its solved.  FWIW - I could sell my steam account as I do own the rights to log into it.
Well, first Steam is for PC Games, right? Kind of like a PC console so how does Steam help you with XBox and PlayStation? That’s a big difference. Does GameStop sell games for PCs? Second, if you are talking about selling your account then you aren’t the target account, what you are talking about is borderline piracy in that no one like my sons is going to buy an account for each game.

I was gonna give really good stonks advice.........but then I got high

Sorry for the boring ask, but does anyone have a recommendation on a nice 4-5% dividend stock with nice growth potential as well? Trying to rebalance some stuff here, need some safety with swoon capability.
UWMC is in your divvy range.

Users who are viewing this thread