Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

30 minutes ago, JAA said:

I actually believe the opposite.  My casual observation is that in the last 6-12 months people have been putting money in safe locations.  Just in the past couple weeks I have seen much higher volume in speculation with an influx into the single and double pennies.  I believe we will see a good bit more safe money put into the market to try and do better than 12%.

:2cents:

The bolded is basically the same as what he said. When everyone and their taxi driver is expecting to beat the market piling into meme and penny stocks, that's the definition of a bubble. Dodds mentioned how GME would be the biggest wealth transfer in the history of the world and while I disagreed just because the FAANG stocks have distributed more wealth than anything else imaginable, he had a point. The only problem is that piling into bad companies and buying up the dilution shares with no regard for fundamentals is how the wealthy/evil hedge funds/executives are going enrich themselves on the backs of retail investors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Gotta love when the dilution is 4x the market cap of the company at the beginning of this year. TRCH executives aren't even hiding the money grab or even offering free popcorn to people willing to buy the shares at inflated prices. They couldn't get the shares onto the market any faster. They've got to be high fiving each other for somehow getting on the meme list. Last year, they would have raised $2M selling 10 million shares. The past couple days, they got $100M from PT Barnum's best friends.

I read they upped that offering by $150M which is why I posted $250M.  My question is where does that money go?

8 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I read they upped that offering by $150M which is why I posted $250M.  My question is where does that money go?

They actually already sold $100M, probably on Monday and/or Tuesday and then said they might/will sell another $150M. It goes into the bank account of the company. Where it goes after that, like executive bonuses or investing into the business, we don’t know. Honestly, since they are selling the assets of TRCH for the merger, I’d bet on the former, a reward for the merger.

Thinking about taking a flyer on some PSTH. The whole concept just intrigues me. The Universal Music aspect is almost secondary at this point.

• Thanks 1

The greatest stock buyback sale ever:

In 2019, GameStop bought back 34.6 million shares for $178.6 million ($5.14 average). Yesterday, the company announced they had completed their sale of 5 million shares and raised $1.13B ($225.20 average).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

In 2019, GameStop bought back 34.6 million shares for $178.6 million ($5.14 average). Yesterday, the company announced they had completed their sale of 5 million shares and raised $1.13B ($225.20 average).

I'd would be following there lead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

From some reading i was doing yesterday, if they make the dividend big enough (25% of the stock price), they only have to pay to shareholders of record the day prior to the payable date.  That would mean anyone selling today won't get the dividend if they can crater the stock price enough to hit that 25% mark.  Not sure if you would have to meet both criteria to get the dividend.  Of course I've seen preferred stock mentioned and not dividend so who really knows what you're getting and when.  Of course Torch dumped another $250M into the pool earlier this week so somebody is getting that pile of cash.  

On another note, what does the SEC actually do???

Three martini lunches?

38 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

And somehow this is the greatest wealth transfer from evil hedge funds to retail investors? Since retail investors own the majority of the shares and are the recent buyers, seems like they are the ones getting reamed on all this direct share offerings and dilution. 

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And somehow this is the greatest wealth transfer from evil hedge funds to retail investors? Since retail investors own the majority of the shares and are the recent buyers, seems like they are the ones getting reamed on all this direct share offerings and dilution. 

Still think warrants to existing shareholders would have been the way to go. 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Very interesting. With the government throwing money around, it sure seems like this is going to be way more common. Funny that Saylor and Microstrategy are big names in crypto now because way back when in 2000, they were one of the early fraud cases (before Worldcom and Enron) that was a big reason for the dot com crash. History tends to repeat itself.

Anytime I hear/see Saylor I wonder why anyone would find him credible. Seems pretty extreme and conspiracy minded.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yeah. Everytime I hear about this greatest wealth transfer I wonder if they realize which direction it is really going.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Still think warrants to existing shareholders would have been the way to go. 

If they were considering the shareholders maybe, but when retail investors are happy to throw them more cash than even they think they’re worth they’d be crazy not jump on that opportunity.

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Very curious to see the results of the AMC vote to allow more dilution in January. I voted no. 

7 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

VGAC/ME

The day after the merger last week it got to $13.02 and has been going down since. I have sold some in between and am thinking about getting rid of it all while still ahead. Haven't seen any analyst takes on it yet.
Up a little pre market.

I bought the stock to hold long-term.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Did some selling this morning....23ME (+20%), Danimer (+5%), Peloton (+20%), Lanthanus (+25%), IMMR (+5%).

added some HGEN at $18.11.

In for some HGEN @ $18.26

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Very curious to see the results of the AMC vote to allow more dilution in January. I voted no. 

AMC is the stock I just don’t get at all. I get GME and the we love Ryan Cohen gang, etc. I don’t think it’s worth close to $200 a share but AMC has none of that loyalty and they’ve ballooned the dilution they went from 100M shares in early 2020 to almost 500M now. I still think most retail investors don’t get the fact that AMC’s market cap is 10x what it was when they were at peak revenue, pre-streaming popularity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

AMC is the stock I just don’t get at all. I get GME and the we love Ryan Cohen gang, etc. I don’t think it’s worth close to $200 a share but AMC has none of that loyalty and they’ve ballooned the dilution they went from 100M shares in early 2020 to almost 500M now. I still think most retail investors don’t get the fact that AMC’s market cap is 10x what it was when they were at peak revenue, pre-streaming popularity.

And I STILL can't short it.  :hot:

40 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I still think most retail investors don’t get the fact that AMC’s market cap is 10x what it was when they were at peak revenue, pre-streaming popularity.

They get it; they don’t care. 

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

They get it; they don’t care. 

I don’t think many do. Did you ever read stuff about Tesla’s stock split? There was a complete misunderstanding of how that worked in a lot of posts like they were getting free money. There’s still a ton of people and posts where people talk strictly about share price when comparing company values. I think you are absolutely giving a lot of these new investors way too much benefit if the doubt. They think as soon as the share dilution is done that all is good and the price pressure is over. I don’t think many have the concept that the shares they hold are actually worth less.

I’m also talking less about people in here and more about people like my kids who talked to me about GameStop stock when I didn’t bring it up.

Edited by stbugs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Yeah. Everytime I hear about this greatest wealth transfer I wonder if they realize which direction it is really going.

Based on how I played the GME stock it certainly went the wrong way.  

2 minutes ago, Harry Frogfish said:

No, most retail investors do not get that.

There are billions of posts on Reddit and YouTube about this stuff, all thoroughly laid out. You guys are underestimating the knowledge base here simply because you disagree with how they’re approaching it. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

There are billions of posts on Reddit and YouTube about this stuff, all thoroughly laid out. You guys are underestimating the knowledge base here simply because you disagree with how they’re approaching it. 

I never said I disagree with how they're approaching it.  They can do whatever they want.

I disagree that they "get it", as you stated.  Billions of posts on Reddit and YouTube does not prove to me they get it.

6 minutes ago, Capella said:

Not really. How many people really understand the long explanations and even read them? How many people in forums like this go and read the entire article people link versus just replying to other posts? I read a bunch of posts on stock splits and talking about how a company is worth more based purely on share price. Do you remember the crap I got for asking someone what he actually liked about the tech of a company and also linking their video demonstration? That’s what I’m talking about. Someone could like a company but not actually understand why or what because they are more likely just parroting some tweet or post or taking something tweeted or posted as fact. I mean we still have tons of people scared of vaccinations for all kinds of made up reasons and you think every retail investor is actually full educated?

I’d still bet a large portion, maybe even majority of the new retail investors don’t get how dilution works and how AMC’s current value compares to pre-COVID numbers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capella said:

I think there are a lot of guys in the reddit threads that know exactly what's going on.  Hell, I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of people in those threads that are better traders than anyone here.  I think there's also a very large amount of 'newbies' and followers that have zero clue.  They're hoping for a get rich quick moon shot and don't understand anything wrt stocks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I think there are a lot of guys in the reddit threads that know exactly what's going on.  Hell, I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of people in those threads that are better traders than anyone here.  I think there's also a very large amount of 'newbies' and followers that have zero clue.  They're hoping for a get rich quick moon shot and don't understand anything wrt stocks.  

Exactly. Not saying there aren’t knowledgeable people on there, although not every long research posts is actually true, but there are far more followers who just believe any story on there and just want to get rich quick. There are also a ton of what I’d call true believers who believe they are actually making the world better, but that’s a different story.

I will also add that I think there’s a bunch of folks on there who are the ones getting in early and promoting stocks and make out like bandits.

Edited by stbugs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Nice day so far. TTD doing great work, trying to overtake MDB as my second largest holding.

Everything is working but I saw that Google delayed its Chrome cookie blocking plan by two years which could explain TTD’s even bigger spike. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Nice day so far. TTD doing great work, trying to overtake MDB as my second largest holding.

Thinning 20% here.  Up 50% in 6 weeks.  Looking for a laggard to move those funds into and unfortunately only see one option.

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, McBokonon said:

I've had SE (Sea Limited) on a watchlist for a while and decided to start a position today because I can't watch it move up anymore. Digital platform based in Singapore, they kind of do everything. E-Commerce, gaming, and digital payments. Outside of CYDY this is going to be my other speculative home run swing as I try and be the @Capella of SE Asian non-China Amazon. I'll put a stop in but giving myself some leeway to average in. Anyone else watching this company? Not a lot of coverage.

https://www.seagroup.com/home

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdetails/nys-se/fi-a22qp2

I believe this is the first post on $SE in this thread - it opened at $70 that day. This is a fantastic reminder to ignore where a stock has been and focus on where you think it's going (for the long term investors.) 

As we approach $300 a year later, I salute thee, Sea Limited, you beautiful bastard. 🍻

• Like 8
  • Laughing 1

21 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I believe this is the first post on $SE in this thread - it opened at $70 that day. This is a fantastic reminder to ignore where a stock has been and focus on where you think it's going (for the long term investors.) 

As we approach $300 a year later, I salute thee, Sea Limited, you beautiful bastard. 🍻

I just took a little less than 10% off the table as it has gotten above the 5% of my portfolio threshold.  Will continue to thin if it runs and will add on any pullbacks.  This has been a prime stock to profit take on run ups.

27 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I wish I had more. I’ve got about a full share now (cost around $180) so I can’t complain, but I remember MF recommending them at $33 in late 2019 and again at $80. Putting most of my money into stocks in late 2019 was a great choice. Just about any tech stock has blown up since then. Those prices were basically the same (or lower in the case of ZM) as buying at the bottom in March 2020.

Between SE and GLBE, you are having a great day. TTD is killing it for me.

• Thanks 1

I had a small buy of SE around $70 and a large buy at $105 so a great average there.  It's one of the few big runners that I actually managed to hold (usually I pike out on the big runners early, and and HODL the stuff that falls all the way back down).  It's almost 12% of my porftolio which I remain comfortable with despite the risk. 

I was SO tempted to buy more when it dropped back to $200 a few weeks ago but I was scared about being over leveraged in it already.

25 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I had a small buy of SE around $70 and a large buy at $105 so a great average there.  It's one of the few big runners that I actually managed to hold (usually I pike out on the big runners early, and and HODL the stuff that falls all the way back down).  It's almost 12% of my porftolio which I remain comfortable with despite the risk. 

I was SO tempted to buy more when it dropped back to $200 a few weeks ago but I was scared about being over leveraged in it already.

Basically the exact same story here ($117 cost average plus I did some trading around the core). It's 14% of our individual stocks which is fine, but I always want more and stupid discipline keeps stopping me.

This could have been one of the all time best days if Bezos hadn't of ####ed it up.  Wish someone would take my account keys away so i don't end up with another share of this steaming pile of 🙂

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Um, I bought SE at $46.56.

I don't care for the rest of this stupid story, so I'm not going to tell it. Worse than Showgirls.

The laugh was more appropriate @identikit

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, McBokonon said:

Basically the exact same story here ($117 cost average plus I did some trading around the core). It's 14% of our individual stocks which is fine, but I always want more and stupid discipline keeps stopping me.

$158 here with 5% in but I traded/banked for another $48.50 in profits across the remaining shares.  Started with three shares around $80 and have been adding anytime it pulls back.  Usually it craters in the pre-market of the day earning are released and that's a great time to add.  So wish I'd sold off some Amazon and made a big splash on the last pullback around $200.

44 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

This could have been one of the all time best days if Bezos hadn't of ####ed it up.  Wish someone would take my account keys away so i don't end up with another share of this steaming pile of 🙂

What does Jeff Bezos do before bed?