What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (23 Viewers)

General Malaise said:
I feel like this is a good one to buy when it takes big dips like it is now.  Just wish I had cash.  

Uranium spot price is $50/Lb.  Stocks got pulverized yesterday which is understandable considering how much they ran.  They may still be overvalued but the spot price is what you want to follow because the leverage in the equities is tied right into that so if it maintains $50 and even climbs, get ya some.  But if it dips, don't be the last guy in the room to turn off the lights. 

@TylerRoseFan
So what are you thinking about the uranium market?  Seems like a blow off top to me at the moment just looking at the spot price exponential rise.  Might be a good choice to ring the register.

My favorite color is back today.....
It’s nice for a couple days. Still down a little this week, but what I’m at least liking is that a higher floor for my portfolio seems to be setting. Don’t want to jinx it but I don’t mind volatility if it can hold this floor for the future.

I jumped into SOFI on a low day for $15

Hoped to make a quickish 20% return when it recovered.

Have a sell order (for 2/3 of my holdings) in place for $18

No clue if I'm playing this right or not....

I jumped into SOFI on a low day for $15

Hoped to make a quickish 20% return when it recovered.

Have a sell order (for 2/3 of my holdings) in place for $18

No clue if I'm playing this right or not....
I was thinking it comes to rest in the $17.50-$18 range, and if it can break through those levels to close at some point this week, $20 comes into play. 

But again, this is like any generic real estate mogul playing President on TV. Complete amateurism here. 

So what are you thinking about the uranium market?  Seems like a blow off top to me at the moment just looking at the spot price exponential rise.  Might be a good choice to ring the register.
Yeah, if you made money in U related names already, ring the register.  I, on the other hand, am stubborn and stupid and will see where this goes.  But I like pain.  I've been married twice.

Yeah, if you made money in U related names already, ring the register.  I, on the other hand, am stubborn and stupid and will see where this goes.  But I like pain.  I've been married twice.
Should have done it this morning when my gut said to.  But I have sold - 1k gain in a pretty short time.  Plowed a bit into ETHE on the weakness there.  

@McBokonon Man, glad I got a half share in DCBO and DOCN and 2/3 a share in INMD when I did. I’d like to fill them out a bit more, but I might wait until the inevitable drop. October the last few years has had some nice ones. Those higher flyers seem to take it in the shorts more than the broader market on the dips. 

@McBokonon Man, glad I got a half share in DCBO and DOCN and 2/3 a share in INMD when I did. I’d like to fill them out a bit more, but I might wait until the inevitable drop. October the last few years has had some nice ones. Those higher flyers seem to take it in the shorts more than the broader market on the dips. 
I’m in the same boat - maybe a little closer to fuller positions but will still add given a great opportunity. Monday wasn’t enough of a drop. Tons of runway left on all of these companies. Would be tough to start positions here for any of them.

I’m in the same boat - maybe a little closer to fuller positions but will still add given a great opportunity. Monday wasn’t enough of a drop. Tons of runway left on all of these companies. Would be tough to start positions here for any of them.
Yep, you’re torn between the long term just buy it if you like it and the I know I can add more cheaper than now. Also, of course Monday didn’t drop any of the stocks I wanted to add. That’s par for the course.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, been meaning to ask for like months now....

What exactly constitutes a 'half share' or a 'full share?

And a 'full position'....

Smart guys, help me out....

Yep, your torn between the long term just buy it if you like it and the I know I can add more cheaper than now. Also, of course Monday didn’t drop any of the stocks I wanted to add. That’s par for the course.
I think it’s Feroldi (who stole the idea from another guy) that keeps a journal of his stock transactions. He notes when he bought it and the metrics. I’m not sure if it’s P/S or P/EV or what (I can look it up) but they will add to positions when that particular metric is lower than when they first bought it. That takes the stock price out of it completely and focuses on the underlying value, and makes adding to positions more mechanical. I think it’s a good idea, another way to remove emotions from this. I haven’t implemented this for myself, of course, but I’m thinking about thinking about it.

And a 'full position'....

That will be personal as far as dollar value, but for me, generally speaking, when I first start a position (or share in stb’s case) I try to go for 5% of my portfolio. Or you could just pick a dollar amount, like you want any position to start at $10k or something. When we say half a position we mean only $5k, in that scenario, because we want to build positions over time.

That will be personal as far as dollar value, but for me, generally speaking, when I first start a position (or share in stb’s case) I try to go for 5% of my portfolio. Or you could just pick a dollar amount, like you want any position to start at $10k or something. When we say half a position we mean only $5k, in that scenario, because we want to build positions over time.

Thanks, McB

God's work...

I do the same with short term/day trading positions.  X amount is my full position but may only start with a .25X or less depending on how volatile the stock/ETF is.   There are times I may get "trapped" or "stuck" as I've bought down enough times to put me at a full position but the stock/ETF keeps dropping (UWMC).  Or maybe I don't hit a full position because I started at such a bad time that I'm already down enough and don't want to buy more (QS, AI).      

And then there are BNKU and NRGU where I sometimes go to fuller, fullest and fullestest positions.... 

It’s probably different for most people, but for me a full share is what I consider to be fully invested in a new stock. It’s a dollar amount ($9-10k) based on when I first started investing in stocks. You would then expect that investment over the years to multiple to way more than one share.

I do have quite a few stocks that I only have a quarter share, but I honestly and trying to clean that up. A lot of those were suggestions in here or recommendations that may have gone down or maybe weren’t my favorites, so started small. If they did well, I probably added. 

I think it’s Feroldi (who stole the idea from another guy) that keeps a journal of his stock transactions. He notes when he bought it and the metrics. I’m not sure if it’s P/S or P/EV or what (I can look it up) but they will add to positions when that particular metric is lower than when they first bought it. That takes the stock price out of it completely and focuses on the underlying value, and makes adding to positions more mechanical. I think it’s a good idea, another way to remove emotions from this. I haven’t implemented this for myself, of course, but I’m thinking about thinking about it.
Interesting but damn that seems like a lot of work!

What do you guys pay in fees?  I opened an account with Fidelity and have racked up like 5K in fees in maybe 6 months.  With maybe 20 total trades is all.  Not happy.

Wrote a quick email to them two days ago saying I'll transfer in no time and have not heard back.

What do you guys pay in fees?  I opened an account with Fidelity and have racked up like 5K in fees in maybe 6 months.  With maybe 20 total trades is all.  Not happy.

Wrote a quick email to them two days ago saying I'll transfer in no time and have not heard back.

I pay next-to-nothing (usually nothing) in fees.

Mine's an IRA though, if that makes a difference.

$0, unless I'm buying OTC or foreign.

Are you in some expensive mutual funds or does your statement say what the fees are for?   

I pay next-to-nothing (usually nothing) in fees.

Mine's an IRA though, if that makes a difference.
I pay $0 with Fidelity (3 IRAs and multiple brokerage/custodial accounts). I have no idea how to rack $5k in fees on 20 trades. Only fees I’ve ever paid was for foreign stocks bought on other exchanges (not OTC or ADR foreign stocks). Even then it was $50.

I do everything myself in the app or laptop browser. 

I pay $0 with Fidelity (3 IRAs and multiple brokerage/custodial accounts). I have no idea how to rack $5k in fees on 20 trades. Only fees I’ve ever paid was for foreign stocks bought on other exchanges (not OTC or ADR foreign stocks). Even then it was $50.

Same here.

$5,000 on 20 trades? Yikes! Would also like to know how that happened.

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread