Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Ahhh...so you don't know either.

Exactly!

Actually, I think the futures are actual contracts you can trade off hours and that’s what you are seeing. Those futures aren’t actually tied to all the stocks in the indexes. I mean the stocks obviously drive the index price during regular sessions but the futures are like buying oil or commodity contracts/futures. I have zero clue where you’d actually trade the futures but I think that’s why they change values outside of the market.

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

WTF are futures based on when individual stocks aren't trading.

Can’t you trade option contracts 24/7?

eta: guess you could trade stocks as well on foreign markets, at least the bigger stocks.  

Edited by Nugget
More thoughts.

8 hours ago, GreenNGold said:

Sitting on cash and waiting for some inevitable dip is normally the wrong move as often the market will be higher even after the dip than it is now.  Unless you time the dip perfectly, being early is the same as being wrong. 

The economy is super strong and the market is just going to keep going up.  People have been waiting for the dip for 10+ years now. 

You must be new here. The consensus in this thread is that timing the market is easy and predictable. Which is why so many here talk about their cash hordes months on end while they slowly bleed $ to inflation and consistently under perform the market because "the big one" is always on the horizon. I stopped trying to lead them to water a long time ago. 

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Should I sell the Moderna I bought 3 weeks ago at $230 with the cash hordes I had at the time?  Anyone else thinking about cashing in here?

Some people believe selling stock means you must be building an even bigger cash horde for the massive end game collapse of all collapses.  Of course that must be it.  Because taking profits when you're up 60% in a few weeks makes no f'n sense at all.  Might as well just sell your soul too you cash hoarder! 

Nice call grabbing MRNA when you did.  I don't have any, but hard not to trim a bit when its up 12%+ in a day. :thumbup:

58 minutes ago, beef said:

Some people believe selling stock means you must be building an even bigger cash horde for the massive end game collapse of all collapses.  Of course that must be it.  Because taking profits when you're up 60% in a few weeks makes no f'n sense at all.  Might as well just sell your soul too you cash hoarder! 

Nice call grabbing MRNA when you did.  I don't have any, but hard not to trim a bit when its up 12%+ in a day. :thumbup:

I almost pulled the trigger on buying this a couple weeks ago

:kicksrock:

13 hours ago, GreenNGold said:

Sitting on cash and waiting for some inevitable dip is normally the wrong move as often the market will be higher even after the dip than it is now.  Unless you time the dip perfectly, being early is the same as being wrong. 

The economy is super strong and the market is just going to keep going up.  People have been waiting for the dip for 10+ years now. 

If you're long (waiting years for a dip) you must have blinked and missed March of 2020.

6 minutes ago, identikit said:

Been in this one since 6/1/21

Down 10+ %

Hope today is the bottom..

That's what I'm betting on.  TNA crossed into Oversold territory as it's dipped below the 50 & 200 DMA.  But I'll be ready to buy more if it's not.  Also not concerned if I have to sit on this for a quarter or two.    

Back in August when it was in the 70's I regretted not getting back in.  Thought about it, but got greedy waiting for a bigger dip.  Not doing that this time.   

14 hours ago, GreenNGold said:

I am only 30% cash and 70% invested.

Been managing my money for over 34 years. It is rare when I build this much cash…..so that should tell you something.

I have only done this 3 times in the last 20 years.

This will be my fourth time in 20 years being  in this much cash.

I will be fine.

I only caught a true bottom between March 16-23rd in 2020

In 2002 we were a tad early as well as in 2008/09 but we did extremely well having some powder while staying mostly invested.

I never met anyone who was poor for taking profits and sitting in some cash awaiting an inevitable pullback which never gets away from me as I buy aggressively when I feel like the market is in capitulation.

Staying fully invested is also a great long term strategy and I will never argue it’s not. Especially when you are 100% mutual funds.

Just understand I am bringing a professional money manager perspective here and again…..taking profits is never a bad idea. I never said get out of the market. Just reduce some exposure to both stocks and bonds here as we enter 2022 and the inevitable change in monetary policy. I am early….I have said as much….and I am sure I won’t catch a bottom….but I will get great value next year at some point and that is my tactical strategy.

Especially with new money as well. 

I know the economy is strong….I don’t think you read a lot of my previous posts laying out exactly what I am thinking and why I am doing it. This is not a hunch. We are about to pump the brakes on this red hot economy…..because if Powell and the Fed don’t inflation will overrun the economy.

A lot of people don’t understand what monetary policy and all this stimulus maybe doing and it will blindside amateur investors chasing high flying stocks. When that happens a panic sets in and people start dumping S&P top ETF’s QQQ’s and indiscriminate selling begins to meet redemptions.

A classic and normal and overdue correction. It will be fast…..and then the market will resume another bull run.

And if I am wrong the money will go back to work anyway. 

Time will tell…..but Friday should be a quick reminder just how fast it can unravel when it gains steam and snowballs. That was just a taste. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Todem said:

Time will tell…..but Friday should be a quick reminder just how fast it can unravel when it gains steam and snowballs. That was just a taste. 

You could hear the leverage unwinding.  Those numbers are quite high these days.  I wonder what percentage of that is retail traders.  I use margin to get around the 3 day settling rules, but never actually carry leverage.  I wonder how many do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Todem said:

Been managing my money for over 34 years. It is rare when I build this much cash…..so that should tell you something.

I will be fine.

In 2002 we were a tad early as well as in 2008/09 but we did extremely well having some powder while staying mostly invested.

I never met anyone who was poor for taking profits and sitting in some cash awaiting an inevitable pullback which never gets away from me as I buy aggressively when I feel like the market is in capitulation.

Staying fully invested is also a great long term strategy and I will never argue it’s not. Especially when you are 100% mutual funds.

Just understand I am bringing a professional money manager perspective here and again…..taking profits is never a bad idea. I never said get out of the market. Just reduce some exposure to both stocks and bonds here as we enter 2022 and the inevitable change in monetary policy. I am early….I have said as much….and I am sure I won’t catch a bottom….but I will get great value next year at some point and that is my tactical strategy.

I know the economy is strong….I don’t think you read a lot of my previous posts laying out exactly what I am thinking and why I am doing it. This is not a hunch. We are about to pump the brakes on this red hot economy…..because if Powell and the Fed don’t inflation will overrun the economy.

A lot of people don’t understand what monetary policy and all this stimulus maybe doing and it will blindside amateur investors chasing high flying stocks. When that happens a panic sets in and people start dumping S&P top ETF’s QQQ’s and indiscriminate selling begins to meet redemptions.

A classic and normal and overdue correction. It will be fast…..and then the market will resume another bull run.

Bought 5, $20.00, 1/21/22 SPXS calls at $0.99 each for some protection. 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, Capella said:

Anybody heard of KULR? I have a buddy who is a financial advisor (mentioned him months ago, very passive) and he went heavy on this. Said he thinks it will pay for his kid’s college one day etc etc. 2 bucks a share now so I bought a handful of shares to just follow it but curious if anybody else here has this one. 

KULR! Up 50% since this post. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

So I assume there’s a reaction to Powell’s (out of context) comment that we should retire the word “transitory.” 

I was watching and the context was that everybody is defining the word according to their own agendas so maybe we should stop using it altogether. Powell was obviously more tactful than that, though. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, beef said:

That's what I'm betting on.  TNA crossed into Oversold territory as it's dipped below the 50 & 200 DMA.  But I'll be ready to buy more if it's not.  Also not concerned if I have to sit on this for a quarter or two.    

Back in August when it was in the 70's I regretted not getting back in.  Thought about it, but got greedy waiting for a bigger dip.  Not doing that this time.   

And more at 80.50

and now at 79.  

Edited by beef

34 minutes ago, Capella said:

is there another variant now or something 

Because some legislators have decided to define "transitory" as "immediately if not yesterday" to describe inflation so they can inflame their base, Powell suggested maybe they stop using the word to describe inflation since nobody is defining it the same way. News organizations have taken this interaction and created the headline "POWELL SAYS RETIRE WORD TRANSTORY" which makes it seem like he's changed his mind and that inflation is forever and we're going to be Zimbabwe soon. As a result, algorithms and dumb people are freaking out and selling everything so they can buy ammo, gold bullion from the guy on that one radio commercial, and MRE's. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Because some legislators have decided to define "transitory" as "immediately if not yesterday" to describe inflation so they can inflame their base, Powell suggested maybe they stop using the word to describe inflation since nobody is defining it the same way. News organizations have taken this interaction and created the headline "POWELL SAYS RETIRE WORD TRANSTORY" which makes it seem like he's changed his mind and that inflation is forever and we're going to be Zimbabwe soon. As a result, algorithms and dumb people are freaking out and selling everything so they can buy ammo, gold bullion from the guy on that one radio commercial, and MRE's. 

I just love having tons of money invested in something controlled by algos and stupid people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, Todem said:

I will be fine.

So, I have a large sum of cash from some recent real estate transactions that are just sitting there . . . I was about to engage a financial advisor/planner with a large firm to invest on my behalf for retirement, mutual funds etc. (while setting some funds aside for single stocks on my own).    Would you hold off on that until 2Q?

33 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

JETS now beneath their 52 week low it looks like? Time to start shopping maybe

ETA: Bounced right off of it per yahoo

I started my position in JETS a little too early and did some DCA on it today.  Feel like I'll be sitting on this one a while.  

• Like 1