What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (21 Viewers)

Yeah that is usually the MO. I'd assume the price action initially was as good as they could have expected and likely covered a lot to start with. Then release that piece to drive it down further. Stock didn't completely crumble. Citron's piece was pretty fluff so not sure he is going to ride that short as long as Valeant. Given it seemed to find support at $5 and just ran to $10, I doubt they'll stay in the short very long. 
Given the volume today I'd be surprised if they were still in the short.  Borrowing at 9+ and buying back anywhere between 4.5 and 6.7 would be some hefty profit for 9 million shares, and given the volume today they certainly could've picked them all back up.

To me, it screams of fraud primarily due to Citrion's piece coinciding too perfectly with the huge short sale.  

Given the volume today I'd be surprised if they were still in the short.  Borrowing at 9+ and buying back anywhere between 4.5 and 6.7 would be some hefty profit for 9 million shares, and given the volume today they certainly could've picked them all back up.

To me, it screams of fraud primarily due to Citrion's piece coinciding too perfectly with the huge short sale.  
So let's say this was indeed fraud, and was proven to be fraud tomorrow.

What would that mean for us?

Guessing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, would it be fair to say that this incident today probably doesn't affect the future price?  Say 6 months from now or a year from now?
We'll have clinical data, and possible uplisting, in a couple of weeks. Relax. Let's focus on our fractional jet ownership. ChetJets.

So, would it be fair to say that this incident today probably doesn't affect the future price?  Say 6 months from now or a year from now?

If another company buys them out it sure might.  Maybe that is who shorted the #### out of it.  
I mean if the drug works, then no, it won't impact it from a year. There wasn't really anything new in the piece. But it did reiterate some questions that still exist and are why it was a sub-$1 stock and trades OTC. Some of the stuff has seemingly been debunked but some of the corporate actions have been puzzling, to say the least.

But no, I can assure that a pharma company looking to buy it out wasn't shorting it. I'm almost sure that would be illegal. 

So let's say this was indeed fraud, and was proven to be fraud tomorrow.

What would that mean for us?

Guessing nothing.
I'd say it's be reassuring in that the drop in share price was almost totally opportunism on the part of some bad actors looking to capitalize on a situation to make money, rather than any inherent weakness in the company, the product, or the potential down the road.  That would be good news.

If it turns out there are tons of investors with access to 9 million shares who have legitimate concerns about the viability of the company, or suspect fraud from company leadership or other stuff, that's more concerning.

But certainly seems to be more of the former, than than the latter at this point at least especially with Citrion basically retracting the article (after the damage had been done, mind you)

Question.  Why does everyone think it's manipulation when a stock goes down 40%, but not when it goes up 900% in a few months?

This isn't a bash on CYDY.  It happens with every stock when this happens.
For the same reason people get angry at the Don't Pass Line guy on the craps table. I agree, that it's no different than a guy pumping and dumping a stock like Portnoy. Probably trading out of a stock five minutes after he mentions it. But there is something more acceptable about it being from the long side. 

I think short sellers get a bad rep but Left kinda loses the ability to ##### when he does #### like this. 

Question.  Why does everyone think it's manipulation when a stock goes down 40%, but not when it goes up 900% in a few months?

I consider it manipulation because it's basically gaming the system.  When you buy, you're generally hoping for increased returns in the future.

When you short 9 million shares (that you don't own but are borrowing for the purpose) of an OTC stock in a short amount of time and follow that up with a hit piece, the entire goal is to manipulate the price of the stock down artificially by flooding the market with shares and spreading bad news, such that you can sell your borrowed shares, and buy them back at a discount as you spread fear into others encouraging them to either sell their shares, hit their limits, or just step away due to the confusion being caused.

It's manipulation of the market imo.  It has little to do with the valuation of the company or any attempt at determining the market value for the company and investing or shorting accordingly.  Shorting is a valuable thing in the market, and helps markets be efficient.  But there are ways you can "short" that are considered security fraud by the SEC for good reason.  Colluding with a group of folks to all short at the same time, and spreading misinformation purposefully, are two things that seem to be indicators of fraud instead of more legitimate shorting behavior.

Q: they can’t possibly f up the press conference tomorrow can they?

i mean all they have to do is talk about the Coordinated bear raid and the fact that there were bad actors that likely committed fraud And this “has” to rebound a bit.

be something if they just went ahead and announced (positive) results 

For the same reason people get angry at the Don't Pass Line guy on the craps table. I agree, that it's no different than a guy pumping and dumping a stock like Portnoy. Probably trading out of a stock five minutes after he mentions it. But there is something more acceptable about it being from the long side. 

I think short sellers get a bad rep but Left kinda loses the ability to ##### when he does #### like this. 
Pumping and dumping is also a form of securities fraud, no?

My life on this board is proof people don't like contrarian points of view.  :lol:

I'm beginning to grasp the short selling, but a couple of questions. 

So was the pump this week due to short sellers pumping up the stock or was that all regular investors? 

I guess the answer is a pump driven by the short sellers especially because there seemed to be purchases based on an algorithm. 

Second question to help crystallize it. Do short sellers have to slowly build their positions to pump up the stock price BEFORE the attack or can they just borrow 9 million shares out of thin air at their target price and then start the attack?

i mean all they have to do is talk about the Coordinated bear raid and the fact that there were bad actors that likely committed fraud And this “has” to rebound a bit.

You’re not familiar with management are you?  🤪

I’m hoping it is pre recorded and no q&a

oh god i bought back in not knowing there was another conf call.

I'm beginning to grasp the short selling, but a couple of questions. 

So was the pump this week due to short sellers pumping up the stock or was that all regular investors? 

I guess the answer is a pump driven by the short sellers especially because there seemed to be purchases based on an algorithm. 

Second question to help crystallize it. Do short sellers have to slowly build their positions to pump up the stock price BEFORE the attack or can they just borrow 9 million shares out of thin air at their target price and then start the attack?
They can borrow without building a position.

So that I fully understand how selling works, still being new to all of this):

I am in a Stock Exchange program through my company and have made 3 purchases: 12/31/2018, 06/28/2019 and 12/31/2019.

I am considering selling a few of the stocks from my 12/31/2018 or 06/28/2019 purchase as my understanding is that my earnings would be taxes at 15% vs. a higher rate for the more recent stocks that I had purchases.

If I sold 10 shares (the cost/basis per share was $62.48, holding period is LONG) from the 06/28/2019 purchase, the Long-Term Gain is $217.26. Would I pay taxes (15%) on the 217.26, meaning I would owe $32.59 in taxes in 2021?

If I sold 10 shares (the cost/basis per share was $48.28, holding period is LONG) from the 12/31/2018 purchase, the Long-Term Gain is $359.30. Would I pay taxes (15%) on the 217.26, meaning I would owe $53.90 in taxes in 2021?

Is the above correct? If so, does it make more sense to keep the shares I bought for $48.28 vs. the $62.48, correct?

Other questions:

For the 12/31/2018 purchase, I own 177 shares, the unrealized G/L is: $6359.61, and lot basis is $8545.56. I realize the lot basis is the cost of the stocks time the amount I paid, but how is the unrealized G/L and what does that mean to me ? Is the amount I would have to pay taxes on from the total amount of 177 shares that I own?

Thank you for your assistance. I am trying to further diversify my portfolio and am trying to understand tax implications for 2021 before I make any moves. 

I love how the lawyers are lining up saying that Citron financial released said article and the stock plummeted 35% in a day and if it impacted you to call us..........

..... so we can sue CYDY.

hey jerk face - I want to sue Citron

Pumping and dumping is also a form of securities fraud, no?
Well I suppose it depends on what you consider pumping and dumping. Yes, there is a law against it. But just look on TWTR and you'll see tons of instances that I would consider pump and dump that don't get prosecuted. So I guess even if today's actions border on the illegal, what they could actually prove and prosecute remains to be seen. In my experience, a lot of this stuff doesn't seem to be prosecuted. I mean just look at bankrupt stocks on RH, I'd consider a lot of that pumping and dumping. But then again, the SEC seemed close to aiding and abetting the sale of worthless equity. 

Well I suppose it depends on what you consider pumping and dumping. Yes, there is a law against it. But just look on TWTR and you'll see tons of instances that I would consider pump and dump that don't get prosecuted. So I guess even if today's actions border on the illegal, what they could actually prove and prosecute remains to be seen. In my experience, a lot of this stuff doesn't seem to be prosecuted. I mean just look at bankrupt stocks on RH, I'd consider a lot of that pumping and dumping. But then again, the SEC seemed close to aiding and abetting the sale of worthless equity. 
Agreed on the prosecution side.  Not attempting to get into politics, but SEC strength in the current administration, or even the past few, just hasn't been there.  Plus, proving fraudulent intent is tough.  Have to be able to prove that the article included things the author didn't believe and was just published to drive the price down by misleading people.  Also have to prove collusion in shorting I'd imagine.  Seems like a tough job, especially when folks can coordinate over encrypted communication channels that aren't really accessible to regulators.  

The folks with money are so far ahead of the regulators in the SEC it's not even funny.  The average investors are just left to weather these kinds of things as if we're just prey for the big cats out there...which...we are.

The SEC doesn't care.  Anyone expecting them to take action will be disappointed.

Also, if people really believe in this company the short term blip won't matter.  

Let's be honest.  99% of people are in this stock as a short term lottery play.

The SEC doesn't care.  Anyone expecting them to take action will be disappointed.

Also, if people really believe in this company the short term blip won't matter.  

Let's be honest.  99% of people are in this stock as a short term lottery play.
No doubt. I mean I've been adding on the way up but fully expected something like this. If you truly understand and believe in the company, you do what Chet did and look at this as a chance to buy some on the cheap. I got FOMO a bit and honestly don't know if the stock will be above $10 in a year or below a $1. But if you truly believe in it, you just buy on these dips. 

I mean I will say, these guys do create damage to the stock (and the markets but that is another discussion). The rally probably wasn't the healthiest, parabolic moves usually don't end well. But you could have caused damage to this company longer term in terms of capital raises. You can argue that if you believe in the company it won't work but I've seen companies fail due to a lack of capital or companies like NFLX thrive due to abundant capital access. But that discussion is getting way too theoretical. 

Saw this article linked in Twitter and was hoping to see our favorite brand of lemonade mentioned. Unfortunately it wasn't, but big focus on cytokine storm as a key to solving COVID throughout. Hope both the article's subject and Dr Patterson are right. Hey @chet maybe have Bruce give this dude at Penn a ring!

Because they think they "earned" the 900% but the 40% drop was clearly someone else's fault ;)

Because the idea of borrowing 9 million shares to orchestrate a bearish attack is much more of an abstraction. See all the questions above.

The stock is manipulable, and that's not great, but a silver lining is that the story has not changed for CYDY from when we woke up this morning. 

I completely bungled today. Sold in the drop, got way less of a price than I anticipated (total #sitqhow). Bought back much of my position, probably lost several grand had I held. Tomorrow may present buying opportunities.

This man gets it.
I didn’t earn 2000+ percent, but I’m not posting sour grape posts like this because I didn’t invest. 

sorry you didn’t take the tip from Chet, but don’t put us down for going in on this and sticking it out.  

You’re sad individual(s) for enjoying everyone’s down day.  Guess what though?  I’m still over 1000% gain.  

The stock is manipulable, and that's not great, but a silver lining is that the story has not changed for CYDY from when we woke up this morning. 

I completely bungled today. Sold in the drop, got way less of a price than I anticipated (total #sitqhow). Bought back much of my position, probably lost several grand had I held. Tomorrow may present buying opportunities.
Yes Sir.  I believe in the drug.  Nothing that happened today changed that.

I didn’t earn 2000+ percent, but I’m not posting sour grape posts like this because I didn’t invest. 

sorry you didn’t take the tip from Chet, but don’t put us down for going in on this and sticking it out.  

You’re sad individual(s) for enjoying everyone’s down day.  Guess what though?  I’m still over 1000% gain.  
That isn't how I read it at all?  Wow.

So what's to stop the people who did this short attack from doing it again....and again?
Well that is the important of getting uplisted and getting stronger hands and deeper pockets behind it. These guys can obviously do it more for smaller companies. Obviously harder to push around multi-billion dollar companies. I mean the short essentially caused $3bn in losses by my estimates. Usually investors this invested won't let this stuff happen. So from that perspective, kinda surprised today happened. I don't think Citron is that big. So if you can get a big fund behind it, they'll buy up any squeeze and push them around, causing a short squeeze. 

The other thing is they do have to eventually show the goods too. That works for both sides. Citron has a lot more clout than Culpepper but they can't use the same piece and get the same reaction. Usually the first one is the worst. Might not stop him from trying but I'd say they'd have to bring further evidence that CYDY is a fraud to get a similar drop. But now all eyes are on NP and team. Between Feurstein and him, no more exercising warrants to pay the bills or paid promotions. Have to act like a real company now. 

I will say that this stock obviously won't be at $6 for long. That may be the John Madden quote of the thread. But CYDY getting Citron to take that piece down is a start. It looks like people can just submit stuff to Citron. So if Culpepper or the shorts submitted their evidence, which again, to an experienced short seller, would smell like a fraud. So Citron could double down, dig in and provide actual analysis. Or maybe they get spooked by the threat of a lawsuit and realize it's a legit drug and we never hear from them again. But the latter is usually unusual. 

I was joking - after today I have a cost basis of $0.18.  I'm hoping this thing goes to 1000.

The short also was well timed.  Hitting the stock at a milestone like $10 when investors are more likely to take profits.  It was probably the first time in a while when there was at least as many sellers as buyers.

I am simply not a fan of someone being able to use shares they don't own to drive down the share price while profiting millions in the process.  
I'm not exactly sure if this is true but it's what I've been reading.  If you put in a sell order for your shares at a price target, those shares are unavailable to be "borrowed" by a short seller.  The short needs outstanding shares to borrow.  If there aren't 9M shares to borrow, they wouldn't have the ammo to execute the bear raid.  

You have 20k shares of a stock that is trading at 5 dollars.  You put a GTC sell order at 100 dollars price target, those 20k shares are locked up and can't be borrowed by a short.  

If this is incorrect, someone please advise.  

Wouldn't need to do this for a stock like AMZN or AAPL, etc., but since OTC stocks are often targets of such attacks... could be a way to protect the stock price from these types of attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread