What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

They had over $300M last quarter. Their revenue  was growing but it exploded due to WFH. I’m pretty sure they forecast $1B this year and $2B next year.
Even if they hit those numbers why would that necessarily mean those numbers are going to continue growing going forward?

WFH is not a growing industry.  It's an industry that already grew parabolically and is now going to pullback from here.  We can talk all we want about more and more companies moving to WFH in the future but over the last few months nearly ALL companies were doing WFH.  As the pandemic passes some companies are going to go back to the office and there are going to be fewer WFH companies than there are right now, and they're not going to be rushing for a quick easy to use solution that they can get up and running overnight anymore.

Even if they do $1B in revenue this year where is the growth from there?  Everyone being forced to work from home and needing to figure out a way to do it overnight with something very easy to get up and running was pretty much the absolute perfect scenario for Zoom.  If they can only bring in $1B revenue in that market how is that going to increase by multiples when 3/4ths of the companies go back to work and the rest have time to get the video conferencing software they're already paying for up and running?

Last edited by a moderator:
KGB said:
Shorted Sirius this AM.

Figure car sales go down, SiRI goes down
I have a 90 day free trial of this.  I'm not sure I'm going to keep it, but I've had two phone calls from them already (and here, I'd like to offer that the people working for them are just slightly below Spirit Airlines employees for their customer service skills) where they offered me a chance to keep it for $2 a month.  That doesn't seem like a very lucrative business.....

This Zoom discussion is the same one I have internally about Slack ($WORK). People who use it LOVE it but the stock has been stagnant. Another one on my watchlist I can't bring myself to buy. Any Slack stock bulls here?

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically the reason I'm hearing the word Zoom so much is that the non-paying consumer is using it and the paying corporate customers are using other/better platforms?
Can't speak for private industry, but the Army has gone from "DO NOT USE ZOOM!!!" to using it for classes and training. Microsoft is still the platform for official meetings.

This Zoom discussion is the same one I have internally about Slack ($WORK). People who use it LOVE it but the stock has been stagnant. Another one on my watchlist I can't bring myself to buy. Any Slack stock bulls here?
Not a bull, but I bought 100 shares after seeing the excitement that our IT guys had about it. It's done nothing in the intervening month but all I hear is that people like it. I may even buy 100 more on a dip. Buying completely on their word of mouth. I know nothing about it, really.

Not a bull, but I bought 100 shares after seeing the excitement that our IT guys had about it. It's done nothing in the intervening month but all I hear is that people like it. I may even buy 100 more on a dip. Buying completely on their word of mouth. I know nothing about it, really.
Do you know if your IT guys upgraded to a paid version? 

Does tripling or quadrupling revenue matter when the revenue that we're talking about tripling was $330 million on a company with an $80 billion market cap currently trading at 1500x multiples?

Fundamentally buying Zoom right now to me is a lot like drafting DK Metcalf 1st overall in a dynasty startup draft.  Yeah maybe he'll be the next Randy Moss and end up living up to that pick, but you're already buying him at his absolute ceiling.  Anything other than the absolute best case scenario imaginable ends up being an overpay.

And that's not even accounting for the notion that several of the competitors and potential competitors in the crowded market we're talking about own the devices that these solutions are being used on, so as we move forward they can either push people to those options or integrate them well enough that people prefer it.

Of course all of that is disregarding memes, momentum, and name recognition which play a massive role in this current market.  But fundamentally Zoom has the same market cap as companies doing $40+ billion annually in revenue and I just don't see that kind of realistic upside for Zoom or anything close to it.
It does matter. First of all, who cares about companies with $40B in revenue that aren’t worth more. Profits matter more for those companies. Software is an extremely profitable business so revenue multiples are higher. Second, scoffing at a company tripling and quadrupling revenue makes no sense. That’s why they’ve jumped even in an environment where companies aren’t spending like crazy  

Hey, if you think they are overvalued that’s fine. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. WFH isn’t going away and business travel will drop. There’s plenty of companies who’ve had competition and succeeded.

I don’t know the future but you are cherry picking numbers that aren’t reflective of the current state.

It does matter. First of all, who cares about companies with $40B in revenue that aren’t worth more. Profits matter more for those companies. Software is an extremely profitable business so revenue multiples are higher. Second, scoffing at a company tripling and quadrupling revenue makes no sense. That’s why they’ve jumped even in an environment where companies aren’t spending like crazy  

Hey, if you think they are overvalued that’s fine. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. WFH isn’t going away and business travel will drop. There’s plenty of companies who’ve had competition and succeeded.

I don’t know the future but you are cherry picking numbers that aren’t reflective of the current state.
Yeah good discussion, fair points you're making.  The sticking point for me is while it's true WFH isn't going away, it is undoubtedly going down from where it is right now, which is basically 100% penetration.

WFH will undoubtedly increase from where it was in January 2020.  But it will also undoubtedly substantially decrease from where it was in May/June of 2020.  We will likely never see that many people working from home again in our lifetime.

So if they could do $1B revenue when the entire country was forced to WFH, how are they going to grow from there when 75% of the people working from home right now go back to work?  And when all the companies with solutions that businesses are already paying for improve their product to the point where it doesn't make sense to pay for two of them?

This isn't like TSLA or something where we can say "imagine how many cars they are going to sell if 20 years from now people only buy electric vehicles".  We've already seen how many people would purchase zoom if every company in the country closed their workplace and worked from home and it still wasn't even a fraction of what the company is currently valued at.  How many people are going to be canceling subscriptions next year when things return to normal.  How many more are going to cancel subscriptions when they have more time to integrate the platforms they are already paying for?  How does that lead to growth from where they are right now, which is already revenue far below their valuation?  Where is the growth going to come from when WFH has already maxed out and is only going to revert back from where it is today?

Yeah good discussion, fair points you're making.  The sticking point for me is while it's true WFH isn't going away, it is undoubtedly going down from where it is right now, which is basically 100% penetration.

WFH will undoubtedly increase from where it was in January 2020.  But it will also undoubtedly substantially decrease from where it was in May/June of 2020.  We will likely never see that many people working from home again in our lifetime.

So if they could do $1B revenue when the entire country was forced to WFH, how are they going to grow from there when 75% of the people working from home right now go back to work?  And when all the companies with solutions that businesses are already paying for improve their product to the point where it doesn't make sense to pay for two of them?

This isn't like TSLA or something where we can say "imagine how many cars they are going to sell if 20 years from now people only buy electric vehicles".  We've already seen how many people would purchase zoom if every company in the country closed their workplace and worked from home and it still wasn't even a fraction of what the company is currently valued at.  How many people are going to be canceling subscriptions next year when things return to normal.  How many more are going to cancel subscriptions when they have more time to integrate the platforms they are already paying for?  How does that lead to growth from where they are right now, which is already revenue far below their valuation?  Where is the growth going to come from when WFH has already maxed out and is only going to revert back from where it is today?
I share many of the same concerns, but I do not think we're going back to the old normal. 

WFH being maxed out (I don’t think it is) doesn’t mean their revenue ceiling has been hit. Thinking that they can’t expand into other things either after building a huge base. It also doesn’t mean I won’t sell some once I hit long term taxes since it has run up so much so fast.

It seldom pays to try to time the market with long term money. Now, I can get on board with getting out of the riskier securities even if you have made a lot of money on them. But selling out of AMZN, APPL, JPM, other long term, great companies, seems silly. They may go down some but they'll go up over the long term. Why miss those up days?
Today is one of those days where it makes it hard to trim holdings. ZS, ZM, FLGT and FSLY are making it rain. 

NRGU is around $3.  This has been a great entry point over the last month.  If OIL prices ever pop this could be a huge winner.  If you don't want to wait, I think 10% profit within 2 weeks is very likely.
Tailing.  My play acct is now NRGU/SOXL/TMF

Been following the Houston Firefighter story a little bit for RLF-100, and there is a Facebook page associated with him so people can post messages and also updates from the family. So here is a timeline of updates. This appears to be public information as it's out there in the open for all to see. 

Update: 8/18

The vent is currently set at 100%. Vitals are stable but his blood pressure is running a little high. There was no change in the x-rays from yesterday. The new meds are being administered very slowly over the next 36-48 hours. Good news, so far there are no visible side effects.

Update: 8/19 8:30am

Vent is currently at 60% and ECMO 100%. He was still on his stomach which means those numbers could change when they flip him over. Blood pressure is stable and per the nurse, oxygenation is “decent”.

Update 08/19/2020:

Ventilator has been set around 65% all day today. Blood pressure has been stable as well. The 2nd dose was started this afternoon and luckily no visible side effects. This medicine will take a while to show whether it’s proving to be beneficial. It could be Saturday before they know anything.

Update: 8/20 AM

Chest x-ray slightly better. They’ll take a repeat this afternoon and look more closely at it compared to yesterday. The vent is currently set at 60%. Blood pressure remains stable and with no meds needed. All other meds remain the same and Tommy seems to be still tolerating the new medication well.

Stock price aside, it looks like this is a possible solution, which would be awesome for serious Covid patients. Hope this works for this guy and for people that can medically benefit from it. 

Not sure who mentioned GEVO but thank you.  Got in a couple of weeks ago at 57 cents.  It's having quite a day based on the news of a 1.5 billion $ revenue contracts they just signed. 
Yeah, I got in cheap a month or so ago and sold today for a nice profit.  Can't remember who recommended it either but a big thanks to them.

MPW - Medical Properties Trust Inc REIT

I'm not big into REITs, but know some here are.  Came across this one from a SeekingAlpha article.  Being hospital and clinics, seems rather pandemic safe, no?   Currently 18.80's, 52-Wk Range 12.35 - 24.29. 

I can't for the life of me figure out TAP.  The financials look good to me.  They did ####can their dividend.  BUD has had a better bounce back.  I'm up on this by 9%, but just added 15% more to my position at $37.18.  Not going to get rich on this, but seems like a pretty safe bet to get a 10% return.

Out of BBQ for a 12% gain.  This was another PPP purchase I had forgotten about.  The PPP loan didn't impact their numbers last quarter.  Too risky and not really a company I wanted to be invested in long term so it seemed like a good time to exit.  9.3m shares and only 41000 traded today.  There have been days with less than 1000 shares traded and I represented 50% of the trading volume.  

:lmao:  Tesla over $2k is ridiculous. 
Oh, it’s beyond ridiculous. Funny that the inclusion in S&P was the catalyst for the run up over $1000 and that begat the split and the split is the reason for the run up to $2000.

The best part is that the only reason they were able to get into S&P (not sure that’s official yet) was because they had 4 straight profitable quarters and the only reason that happened was selling tax credits.

So, the stock has tripled on 3 things that have nothing to do with their products/core business. 🤦‍♂️ I know it’s CV world this year but amazing that a stock can blow up like that for non-business reasons while the business’ revenue and earnings the last 6 months are actually less than the 6 months before that.

Truly insane and amazing at the same time. I wouldn’t touch the stock now and I also am disappointed that I didn’t ride this heavy train when I remember thinking about buying it around $400 in March.

Oh, it’s beyond ridiculous. Funny that the inclusion in S&P was the catalyst for the run up over $1000 and that begat the split and the split is the reason for the run up to $2000.

The best part is that the only reason they were able to get into S&P (not sure that’s official yet) was because they had 4 straight profitable quarters and the only reason that happened was selling tax credits.

So, the stock has tripled on 3 things that have nothing to do with their products/core business. 🤦‍♂️ I know it’s CV world this year but amazing that a stock can blow up like that for non-business reasons while the business’ revenue and earnings the last 6 months are actually less than the 6 months before that.

Truly insane and amazing at the same time. I wouldn’t touch the stock now and I also am disappointed that I didn’t ride this heavy train when I remember thinking about buying it around $400 in March.
I'd laugh my ### off if Elon sold all his shares and captured these gains.  This run up has made him billions.  

Really, I have 23 parked in my driveway right now and 14 more on order.  Don't we all?  😉
Well yeah.

It's kinda funny to me that the #1 reason I bought at all was my 15yo's infatuation with Tesla. I should have just put his college funds into the stock. Dude would be getting a doctorate "free" and possibly paying for his siblings college.

Well yeah.

It's kinda funny to me that the #1 reason I bought at all was my 15yo's infatuation with Tesla. I should have just put his college funds into the stock. Dude would be getting a doctorate "free" and possibly paying for his siblings college.
Sounds like you owe him a Tesla.

Well yeah.

Sounds like you owe him a Tesla.

Users who are viewing this thread