What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

Up 104.50% for the year. Doesn’t seem real. I’ll see y’all down on the islands. 
It’s crazy. I wasn’t hurting at the end of 2019, but my retirement plans are completely different now. Should have gotten in this individual stock stuff way sooner.

Not counting sector funds? 

SE

DIS

TSLA

AMZN

DFS

VZ

GOOGL

MSFT

TM

Let's see - among the mad money investments, in order:

AAPL   (huge cap gains)

AMZN  (here too)

EXC

GBTC

DFS

SPACs (BTWN, IPOD-IPOF)

PLTR

QCLN

DE

NLY

LRNZ

Many of these not AAPL or AMZN thanks to discussion in here.  I just wish I knew GBTC existed a year ago when BTC was at 3.5k.  I wanted to buy some then, but didn't want to fund another outside account.  But at least I'm in now and it's doing something good.

Overall up ~75% since the beginning of the year here in the discretionary account.  Since online poker shut down that account is now up 6x.  Not nearly so well as overall, as I had some very crash sensitive stocks (REITs) that got crushed, but I'm now officially in the black this year by 5% or so and I paid off my house completely.  So a C+/B- kind of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXC only up 18% for me.  Made 20+% on PPL.  Not bad getting a 40% return on utility companies in 6 months when the market maybe did 20% over that time.  Thanks @Todem

I'm going to hold my EXC until I'm out of cash.  It should be trading at $50 so there is another 20% on the bone.
:yes:

Made ~15% on PPL and up 14% on EXC.  Not trading this, though.  I'll just keep cashing the divvy checks forever.

Many analysts are expecting a Q1 correction, nothing major but maybe 10% S&P correction.   This makes a lot of sense to me and I've strategized accordingly.

This is why I'm mostly cash and waiting for a better buying opportunity(sans crypto) hopefully in Q1.   I'm forced to hold onto some of my triple digit gainers like DKNG for tax purposes, but I expect DKNG could continue to run so I'm okay holding.

I'm always looking out for the next "SI" though.  I've been looking at a silver swing trade play for example.
Makes sense, I'll probably wait to max the IRAs for a while. Might go ahead and drop $120 weekly until there's a large drop. 

Up 104.50% for the year. Doesn’t seem real. I’ll see y’all down on the islands. 
Damn impressive cap.  My 16% increase in retirement funds is pathetic in comparison.

Let's see - among the mad money investments, in order:)

QCLN

LRNZ
I was told not to include ETFs, but these would be my 2nd and 3rd largest holdings outside of the broad market types.

I was told not to include ETFs, but these would be my 2nd and 3rd largest holdings outside of the broad market types.
Those were your suggestions and they're doing nicely.  They are still on the speculative side (high beta) and definitely in the poker money account, so for me they're on the list.  :P

BTW, I want to buy UFO, but I'm at 0 cash in that account.  That would be a long hold, but it's definitely an area that I see high growth in.  I see it as a no brainer decade long type purchase.

For you gamblers (literally and figuratively) I present:  Playgon.  PLGMF is your US ticker.  We're in this one pretty heavily and I've followed along personally.  I have a crush on one the female dealers but that not why we here!  Actually, that may be why I'm here.  

Anyhow, another penny stock that could fit the bill for some of you.  $0.47 cents a share currently, I think this thing could be HUGE.

or go to zero.  NOBODY KNOWS*

*We're betting on huge.  No pun intended.  Outstanding management pedigree, best in breed technology and did I mention really hot dealers?  
This is my kind of play, BUT the daily volume is less than 40,00. Those numbers allow some heavy duty manipulation. Still interested, but kind of scary to me, as I've been burned in those low volume pennies a few times/

UVXY 18%

CYDY 11%

SI 10%

MMED 8%

TM 5%

ASO 3.5%

AMZN, MSMY, PYPL,  2-3.5% ea

BABA, DELL, HAACU, JNJ, KNX, PLUG, QCOM, VIAC, WMY, KALA 1.5 - 2% ea

Another 3-5% small, highly speculative plays

CASH ~15%

I will rebalance tomorrow and probably up my cash to 20-30%. It would be higher, but UVXY give me good insurance/

I'm not a penny stock guy...never have been.  Just too little info for me.
Yeah as mentioned above the volume was so small when I looked. $6k a day. They have a Toronto listing but I think you pay that $50 fee like that Swiss CV stock some bought. For a penny stock, not worth it.

Dang...I was wondering why I was up 1.6% today with that boat anchor doing nothing.  Looks like it was good Luckin.  Up 96% today.

Hard to tell where I'm at on the year.  One account is up 114% but that includes gains/losses on the new contributions throughout the year.  I've kept that account around 20% cash on average due to "frothiness" which has dragged the return down.  I've probably keep between 70-120 stocks throughout most of the year so I haven't seen many monster pops.  What's interesting is that the sales proceeds on the year are 10x the starting balance.  That's some pretty high turnover.

The other account which open in September is up 7% in 3 months which would be 28%.  That account has been around 40% cash.  

ARKF is a great managed fund too.  Led by Cathie Woods who has unique relationships with corporate leadership that give her and ARK an edge IMHO in terms of effectively managing their fund.

Big fan of what they are doing.   They've had huge run ups and everything feels frothy to me(hence my cash position) but if you want to go long on fintech I like this fund.  I''ll probably jump back in during a Q1 low...I've been holding long in several retirement accounts.
Alot of what I'm in right now is tailing ARK.

DOCU

PACB (Which is down since I purchased, might be a good time to buy)

PSTG

This is my kind of play, BUT the daily volume is less than 40,00. Those numbers allow some heavy duty manipulation. Still interested, but kind of scary to me, as I've been burned in those low volume pennies a few times/
I am super impatient so got in at the ask yesterday for a little starter position. It is certainly not going to be easy to get out if I ever want to, but seems interesting enough to hold on to as a gamble. 

:yes:

Made ~15% on PPL and up 14% on EXC.  Not trading this, though.  I'll just keep cashing the divvy checks forever.
I cashed out of PPL in August up 18% in one month.  Still holding EXC, up 13%.  Along with OKE (up 50%) and it's 9.2% yield, I plan on holding for awhile.  Thanks @Todem!

As for top holdings in my Roth (which again, make up only 12% of my retirement funds):

FNILX - still holding 10%, this is what I sell when I need cash for a purchase

QELLU - 6%

TSLA - 5.6%

BABA - 5.4%

CRM - 5%

RVVTF(!!!) - 4.7%

SE - 4.7%

Then it gets a lot less sexier with 3.5-4% of things like PM, BHC, TSCO, T, KHC, XOM, CSCO, EXC, PEO, PFE.

Then at the bottom with 1-3% are some speculative plays, some of which I've already taken profits out, like BEEM, HGEN (my only big loser even with the recent spike), BTWN, RIDE, and I just added ACTC and PLGNF today.

Yeah as mentioned above the volume was so small when I looked. $6k a day. They have a Toronto listing but I think you pay that $50 fee like that Swiss CV stock some bought. For a penny stock, not worth it.
Is that PLGNF? If so the volume is slightly higher and the fee is only $6.95 for me on Thinkorswim. 

Is that PLGNF? If so the volume is slightly higher and the fee is only $6.95 for me on Thinkorswim. 
Not sure. Only looked at the pink sheet one which had tiny volume. I just assume on Fidelity that buying on other international exchanges hits that fee. I’m not interested in this one. 

Don't be afraid to be rich

I sense the fear in your post
WTF are you trying to say? Not sure I get why you are trying to get under my skin but oh well. I just don’t think I’d invest enough for this penny stock to make a difference in my return. I’m fairly aggressive, but I’m good with not buying it.

WTF are you trying to say? Not sure I get why you are trying to get under my skin but oh well. I just don’t think I’d invest enough for this penny stock to make a difference in my return. I’m fairly aggressive, but I’m good with not buying it.
Sorry. Originally I was quoting chet. No instigation intended.

Sorry. Originally I was quoting chet. No instigation intended.
No worries, just threw me. I’m not getting back into that one either, did my turn before, made a chunk and got out. I looked at this one and just wasn’t interested to risk enough to make it worth the effort.

Anyone looked into $IMMR? They make the haptics happen in PS5 and get a cut for every console and controller sold yet they haven’t moved that much. Could be a good play into earnings in a couple months.

Their tech is used in cars, wearables, too. I think I’ll dabble a bit tomorrow just to get in and research more.

Anyone looked into $IMMR? They make the haptics happen in PS5 and get a cut for every console and controller sold yet they haven’t moved that much. Could be a good play into earnings in a couple months.

Their tech is used in cars, wearables, too. I think I’ll dabble a bit tomorrow just to get in and research more.
That’s an interesting one

No worries, just threw me. I’m not getting back into that one either, did my turn before, made a chunk and got out. I looked at this one and just wasn’t interested to risk enough to make it worth the effort.
Yeah, I don't think I could pull the trigger on this one, either.

Weird historical revenue. A ton in 2018, dropped by 3/4 and this year looking less than last year. Not the kind of history I like.

Weird historical revenue. A ton in 2018, dropped by 3/4 and this year looking less than last year. Not the kind of history I like.
I almost (seriously, I did) added that you wouldn’t like this one because you’d look at the numbers and apply traditional metrics/analysis to it. 🤣

Their past is not their future. I care where they’re going more than where they’ve been.

That said, I’m barely through my due diligence with them but first glance looks like they might be hitting their stride.

I almost (seriously, I did) added that you wouldn’t like this one because you’d look at the numbers and apply traditional metrics/analysis to it. 🤣

Their past is not their future. I care where they’re going more than where they’ve been.

That said, I’m barely through my due diligence with them but first glance looks like they might be hitting their stride.
Honestly I like his approach.  It's a good mix of old school numbers and new school growth investing.

I almost (seriously, I did) added that you wouldn’t like this one because you’d look at the numbers and apply traditional metrics to it. 🤣

Oh I agree. It was just my first look more to get a feel for it. I’ve invested in things that re-started their revenue so to speak.

Do they have much revenue outside the PS5? Figure that would be a diminishing revenue channel over time if they don’t have others.

Oh I agree. It was just my first look more to get a feel for it. I’ve invested in things that re-started their revenue so to speak.

Do they have much revenue outside the PS5? Figure that would be a diminishing revenue channel over time if they don’t have others.
Yeah, they do and working on others. I’ll try a more thorough post tomorrow. I’m still looking into them - my original post was actually asking if anyone else here had familiarity.

CEO purchases

$HYMC - $240k purchased at $7.60. Currently at $8.15.

$NMTR - $100k purchased at $0.64. Currently at $0.86.

CEO Recent Trades:

CEO John Temperato bought 153,846 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.

CFO Recent Trades:

CFO Edward J Sitar bought 61,538 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.

Directors and Officers Recent Trades:

Director Mark A Sirgo bought 230,769 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.

I just read this about the Telsa addition to the S&P 500.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/traders-brace-for-wild-action-and-historic-volume-ahead-of-teslas-entry-into-the-sp-500.html

I don't understand how are this Tesla demand in the last minute isn't going to run the price through the roof.  Also AIV is dropping out.  Can't follow everything but a $5 stock paid a $10.15 dividend when it had been paying 41 cents a quarter.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/aiv/dividend-history

Does it make sense to buy Telsa this morning and the put up an ask price a couple of percent over the price at 3:50?

I just read this about the Telsa addition to the S&P 500.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/18/traders-brace-for-wild-action-and-historic-volume-ahead-of-teslas-entry-into-the-sp-500.html

I don't understand how are this Tesla demand in the last minute isn't going to run the price through the roof.  Also AIV is dropping out.  Can't follow everything but a $5 stock paid a $10.15 dividend when it had been paying 41 cents a quarter.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/aiv/dividend-history

Does it make sense to buy Telsa this morning and the put up an ask price a couple of percent over the price at 3:50?
Also, given the dumping of over stocks, would it make sense to short the market near close?

CEO Recent Trades:

CEO John Temperato bought 153,846 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.

CFO Recent Trades:

CFO Edward J Sitar bought 61,538 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.

Directors and Officers Recent Trades:

Director Mark A Sirgo bought 230,769 shares of NMTR stock on 12/15/2020 at the average price of $0.65.
On Thinkorswim it's showing an article from a week ago that this was going to happen. Looks like it was planned on advance but of course yesterday they announced an Israeli fund was investing lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread