What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (6 Viewers)

I think a lot of us having been expecting reality to set in with tesla for some time now. I just don't get it...
It’s amazing. P/E way over 1000 now and that’s even knowing that the tax credits are what gave them profit to start. I know Toyota and GM aren’t as fashionable but Tesla’s PE is around 100x what there’s is. I can get the growth difference and Tesla having a premium but 100x?

Market cap wise, I believe Tesla is worth more than GM, Toyota, VW, BMW, Daimler, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Ford and Nio/other Chinese EVs combined. That’s interesting.

I even get the you can’t think of it as a car company but they’ve been public for almost 10 years and they’re still a car company that bought Musk’s solar company.

It’s amazing. P/E way over 1000 now and that’s even knowing that the tax credits are what gave them profit to start. I know Toyota and GM aren’t as fashionable but Tesla’s PE is around 100x what there’s is. I can get the growth difference and Tesla having a premium but 100x?

Market cap wise, I believe Tesla is worth more than GM, Toyota, VW, BMW, Daimler, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, Ford and Nio/other Chinese EVs combined. That’s interesting.

I even get the you can’t think of it as a car company but they’ve been public for almost 10 years and they’re still a car company that bought Musk’s solar company.
I have been wrong on this stock for a while. I made some great money on it years ago. I never got back in. And I won’t. It’s too late. Because I do believe it will end badly in the future. I am not a believer. I think there will be far too much competition and when the general investment public realizes this it will be too late. It is the classic cult stock.

Ask yourself this question. Can you live without TSLA? 

Can you live without Google, AMZN, APPL

I can almost assure you 99% of people can say yes to TSLA but you will not find it that easy for the other 3 I mentioned. 

I know this sounds so simplistic.....but TSLA is being traded like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My business partner owns a P90.....I can’t stand it. I drove it once and said...not for me....not ever.

Anyway....I always say you can’t own everything. And I am not one to chase a stock I do not believe in nor see the fundamentals nor intellectual property justifying these multiples and this kind of run up. 

Good luck if you own it. I know several people who made a fortune in this and sold it already. I suggest the same if you own it.

I’ve stopped caring about why Tesla is going up and am just enjoying Tesla going up. Fundamentals don’t always mean anything anymore. 
Not in the short term. Make no mistake.....in the long term they always do. 

That is the difference between a trade and a investment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to nibble into energy with BLDP and UUUU. Seems like less risk/reward than most of the stocks being mentioned in here, but that's just fine.

I have been wrong on this stock for a while. I made some great money on it years ago. I never got back in. And I won’t. It’s too late. Because I do believe it will end badly in the future. I am not a believer. I think there will be far too much competition and when the general investment public realizes this it will be too late. It is the classic cult stock.

Ask yourself this question. Can you live without TSLA? 

Can you live without Google, AMZN, APPL

I can almost assure you 99% of people can say yes to TSLA but you will not find it that easy for the other 3 I mentioned. 

I know this sounds so simplistic.....but TSLA is being traded like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My business partner owns a P90.....I can’t stand it. I drove it once and said...not for me....not ever.

Anyway....I always say you can’t own everything. And I am not one to chase a stock I do not believe in nor see the fundamentals nor intellectual property justifying these multiples and this kind of run up. 

Good luck if you own it. I know several people who made a fortune in this and sold it already. I suggest the same if you own it.
I love my Tesla. I don't think I will buy a gas powered car again.

But yeah Tesla stock makes no sense.

I’ve stopped caring about why Tesla is going up and am just enjoying Tesla going up. Fundamentals don’t always mean anything anymore. 
Speaking of cult stocks, anybody riding PENN? I know sportsbetting is taking off in general, but this is just Barstool fans buying the stock at any price because they’re loyal right? 

Sold off some BEEM today.  Figured today was a nice time to lighten up on it after getting a bit of a scare the last two days.  It was also getting to be way too outsized of a position for me.  Plus, I want to add some new positions to the portfolio - a little BLDP for sure.  Can't miss out on the Todem Totes!

GM/others, any reason why COBCF is now up 32% on the day to what I think is a 52-week high? I was all set to harvest the tax losses but now I'm close to break even on it and am wondering if I should hold. 

GM/others, any reason why COBCF is now up 32% on the day to what I think is a 52-week high? I was all set to harvest the tax losses but now I'm close to break even on it and am wondering if I should hold. 
Was wondering that too. Nice bonus on the rare time this thing ever moves. 

Cobalt seems to be catching a bid after years of dormancy.  Other than that, we're left to guess.  Tried to engage the CEO but he was tight lipped about anything coming that might be a catalyst for higher prices.  

Seems like a lot of the junior miners/exploration companies in raw materials for EV are catching bids.  As I type, physical high grade cobalt ticked up again ever so slightly. 

Speaking of cult stocks, anybody riding PENN? I know sportsbetting is taking off in general, but this is just Barstool fans buying the stock at any price because they’re loyal right? 
It seems like it. Aside from the physical gambling it has, the stock itself has absolutely been based on online wagering like DKNG. I have no clue if that is going well or not. I wonder if it will be similar to pot stocks were when they got hot. The assumption was that everyone including grandmas were going to start toking up and that there’d be pot in wine coolers and beer etc. It seems like pot stocks have done well lately. Tilray has almost tripled since September to over $11. That looks good until you look back and realize during the craziness it was around $150 in late 2018. I think some of these online gambling things could be like that if they are starting from scratch. I like DKNG because they already have DFS in place, but PENN is valued almost the same with the assumption that they’ll get there. I think EV stocks are in that same boat. In a few years EVs will be just cars like LCD TVs became TVs. If every car was an EV would the entire automobile industry be worth 5-10x what it is? Not sure but there’s a gigantic premium and it might not last.

Sold off some BEEM today.  Figured today was a nice time to lighten up on it after getting a bit of a scare the last two days.  It was also getting to be way too outsized of a position for me.  Plus, I want to add some new positions to the portfolio - a little BLDP for sure.  Can't miss out on the Todem Totes!
Good job. Wish I went for the ride but yeah, I don’t think it’s a bad call to take some profits.

Last time I trimmed was to protect some of my "only" 200% gain.  Back up to 400% on this one again with today's bounce, probably time to trim some more.

Any thoughts on XOM long term?  I'm finally back in the green on this one and considering getting out to put the money elsewhere, but that 8% yield is staring me in the face.  Can they maintain that level of dividend?

What are some good security companies to invest in?  Caravans are forming again.

I’ve mentioned AAXN. Tasers and body cameras, plus a recurring revenue source in their evidence.com camera data storage. 
This has been a solid position for me over the past couple years.  High growth and margins in the data side of the business, and long term contracts.  With more of a push around transparency and also moving into other government agencies, I believe this continues to grow on a healthy basis. Plus they have the best product and ability to integrate body cam and in car footage. 

Big thanks to whomever mentioned CLSK right before Xmas.  Up 30% today and a double since 12/21. 
This is one of my 2020 regrets, but I was just starting out and learning.  Bought this one all the way back in June when it was 2.45.  Sold at 3.40.  I only had 24 shares, but still... 

The other was GRWG.  Was in at 7 and out at 8.50.  Its now at 46

Yep

Are you playing the other EV stocks that have been mentioned in here?
This is, among other reasons, why I like my sector ETFs. No friggin idea what companies will be successful, but QCLN is doing alright. 

Not in the short term. Make no mistake.....in the long term they always do. 

That is the difference between a trade and a investment. 
Some I hold, some I trade. I understand what Tesla is, I have stops on it so I’ll make my money no matter what. I just don’t adhere to any sort of old school fundamental standard. The market doesn’t care so why should I. Things have changed dramatically with the robinhood crowd and so my thinking has changed with it. 

Same thing when we discussed Disney 4-5 months ago and you were a strong sell and I was a strong buy. There is no one playbook anymore. 

Market makers are so exploitative with penny stocks.  RLFTF often has almost a penny difference between the bid and ask.  That is a 3% difference.  Right now the bid = $.3307, ask = $.34.  If a person put in a limit buy order of $.345 and another person put in a limit sell order of $.345, you'd think that the trade would go through.  But it doesn't.  They don't have honor your limit orders.  You have to pay .34 if you want to buy and you have to sell for .3307 if you want to sell.  It is as if they are charging a vigorish.

Users who are viewing this thread