Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

That's the biggest bummer about my partner being laid off a few months ago.  Unemployment basically covers what she was contributing to the household budget, but she was plowing like 40% of her income into her 401K to max it out the past couple of years (she obviously didn't make a ton).

That does suck and honestly I’d much rather have seen unemployment being stimulated more than just giving out money to everyone. A lot of people who didn’t need anything got it when the folks really struggling could have gotten extra. There’s still a lot of people unemployed right now and there will be for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • fantasycurse42

    3538

  • stbugs

    3427

  • BassNBrew

    3294

  • Capella

    2076

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

I have a watchlist going on yahoo finance, and the little alert bell had a notification. Almost every stock on my list is at an all-time high.

My Roth contribution and my brokerage deposit just cleared and now everything is up so much I don't want it :lmao:  

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I'm 51 and have been maxing my 401K for 23 years. Now eligible for the over 50 "catch up" contributions so $26K/yr plus another $15K from the employer match, wife same age has been doing same. I also contribute 5% of every check to my company's employee stock purchase program, we get a 10% discount on those shares which have done great. No additional savings possible with two prep school and one college tuition on the books for now. Will be done with that in 8 years and hope to retire then.

The money I play with in here is an old 401K rolled over into an IRA, value about equal to my current $401K. For years I'd let the money in the IRA sit in Fidelity target funds (50/50 in 2030 & 2040), it did ok but lots of opportunity lost. I finally started poking around in here, got inspired, and since mid-October I've been converting shares in the target-date funds to cash bit by bit and buying stocks. I'm now down to around 10% left sitting in the 2040 fund. I wish I'd done this sooner, like in March, but better late than never. the IRA is up 33% since mid-Oct when I started dabbling. I need to do same with wife's accounts as I know she has some money somewhere working less hard than it should be.

Those targeted funds are the devil. I’ll be working several extra years due to holding them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shades said:

I have a watchlist going on yahoo finance, and the little alert bell had a notification. Almost every stock on my list is at an all-time high.

My Roth contribution and my brokerage deposit just cleared and now everything is up so much I don't want it :lmao:  

As soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buyAs soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buy

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

I dipped into it last week, and bought a bit more yesterday on the dip to lower my cost basis (and should have turned around and sold it in the afternoon but missed it).  Of course it could keep going down from here, and since March the lows keep drifting a little lower, but it's pretty close to the 52-week low right now.  

Same here on UVXY.  Got greedy looking for that 20% and missed the quick 15%.  I'm about even at the moment.  Will consider adding more if it dips to bottom 10's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BassNBrew said:

As soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buyAs soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buy

Do they let you buy twiceDo they let you buy twice

  • Laughing 10
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That does suck and honestly I’d much rather have seen unemployment being stimulated more than just giving out money to everyone. A lot of people who didn’t need anything got it when the folks really struggling could have gotten extra. There’s still a lot of people unemployed right now and there will be for a while.

Unemployment is a joke. $240/wk max. Before they take out taxes. Yes, unemployment is taxed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I realized too late I forgot to buy some E and F. Bought B and C early back before the mania in SPACs and still have D as well. I honestly have too many stocks, getting to be like Bass where I can’t remember everything anything.

Fixed

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Those targeted funds are the devil. I’ll be working several extra years due to holding them

Ya, I really feel like an ####### for sitting in them for so long. Embarrassing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Ya, I really feel like an ####### for sitting in them for so long. Embarrassing. 

Meh, don't feel bad. I had an IRA just sitting in an account for about 5 years just languishing there.

Did the same thing as you: this thread peaked my interest so I basically sold some of the stuff in there, bought some stocks, and then opened a separate brokerage account.  Learned a ton since June and this account is finally growing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:
2 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

IPOE to merge with SoFi. Up 30% on the news.

Dammit I got IPOD and IPOF instead, lol

I got all three as early as I could. At least you get some of the spillover ~10% in those!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm 51 and have been maxing my 401K for 23 years. Now eligible for the over 50 "catch up" contributions so $26K/yr plus another $15K from the employer match, wife same age has been doing same. I also contribute 5% of every check to my company's employee stock purchase program, we get a 10% discount on those shares which have done great. No additional savings possible with two prep school and one college tuition on the books for now. Will be done with that in 8 years and hope to retire then.

The money I play with in here is an old 401K rolled over into an IRA, value about equal to my current $401K. For years I'd let the money in the IRA sit in Fidelity target funds (50/50 in 2030 & 2040), it did ok but lots of opportunity lost. I finally started poking around in here, got inspired, and since mid-October I've been converting shares in the target-date funds to cash bit by bit and buying stocks. I'm now down to around 10% left sitting in the 2040 fund. I wish I'd done this sooner, like in March, but better late than never. the IRA is up 33% since mid-Oct when I started dabbling. I need to do same with wife's accounts as I know she has some money somewhere working less hard than it should be.

A word of caution here.....

You say this is the money you play with, so I hope you are indeed understanding that this will be play money.  A LOT of the stocks mentioned in this thread have extraordinary risks associated with them and due to these risks you need to receive a premium return to justify these risks.  You are up a lot of money in the past few months which is great, but you need to understand that this is a very small amount of time.  And stocks, believe it or not, do not always go up. The only reason I even dare mention this is because I worry about some of the people in this thread.  I cringe at some of the trades being made, in fact, I probably have a good half dozen posters on ignore in here because I am sick of hearing about every damn trade they make, and how they make 15 bucks here or a 3.5% return in 4 hours, and so on and so forth.  You are dabbling with retirement money.  

I am in the same demographic region as Nigel - married, 3 kids, relatively same ages, college expenses, yada yada yada.  I really hope people aren't blindly following these trades with retirement funds, but alas it seems like a lot of people are.  I don't mean to sound like debbie downer at all, but this stock run from last April till now has been unbelievable.  I am also years ahead of retirement, in fact, I could probably retire now if needed, but I'm going to wait 3-4 more years or so, just in case.  

I hope that people that are chasing returns like this are using money they can afford to lose.  I will not liken this to flat out gambling, but.....

I am a very active participant in the stock and options market.  I self manage all of my and my wife's accounts.  I am by no means an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn once, do have a degree in finance, and have been investing since I had to phone in trades, and they cost $99.  I was amped when I could do trades for $49 and then it was so awesome when the internet came around and I could do all my trading for $19 each.  I'm old.

Anyway, these comments have been brought to you by the peanut gallery.  I am firmly on the train with you all, and pray it doesn't end for awhile, but I really do hope everyone understands there is a price to be paid eventually (be it stock market correction, taxes, inflation - oh that is coming).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jut an FYI for those in MGNI. One of the reasons for the recent fall.

Spruce Point Capital Management Releases Report and Strong Sell Research Opinion on Magnite, Inc

BY PR Newswire
— 10:30 AM ET 01/07/2021

NEW YORK, Jan. 7, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Spruce Point Capital Management, LLC ("Spruce Point" or "we" or "us"), a New York-based investment management firm that focuses on forensic research and short-selling, today issued a detailed and expansive report entitled "A Repellent Investment" that outlines why shares of Magnite, Inc. ( MGNI ) face up to 50% downside risk to under $14 per share. The full report can be downloaded and viewed at www.sprucepointcap.com. Follow us on Twitter @sprucepointcap for additional information and exclusive updates.

Magnite ( MGNI ) was formed in early 2020 following the merger of two advertising technology companies: Telaria Inc. ("Telaria", formerly Tremor Video) and The Rubicon Project, Inc. ("Rubicon"). The merger was predicated upon cost savings – instead of revenue synergies – and to the anticipated scaling of a Connected TV ("CTV") product, which Rubicon could not build alone. CTV advertising has become increasingly popular with the rise of streaming and web-based content distributors such as Hulu, Disney ( DIS ) , Netflix ( NFLX ) and Roku ( ROKU ). However, our research indicates that Magnite ( MGNI ) currently lacks the depth of quality CTV inventory to adequately scale.

Spruce Point believes Magnite's ( MGNI ) ~400% share price appreciation since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic is completely unjustified. It appears that the market has largely overlooked the Company's clear growth headwinds and highly-questionable management team, which we believe has been masking business challenges with inaccurate financial reporting. We believe our research shows that management is running two separate businesses, but structuring Magnite's ( MGNI ) financial reporting as if the Company has a lone operating segment. We believe that this dubious reporting style may be allowing Magnite ( MGNI ) to conceal challenges that have seen Magnite ( MGNI ) suffer pro forma revenue decline by 1% year-to-date, while public industry peers The Trade Desk ( TTD ) and PubMatic grow 16%.

A high-level overview of some of the detailed findings in Spruce Point's downloadable report includes:

Prior to the merger, publicly-available material indicates that both Telaria and Rubicon were hampered with business and accounting struggles. Telaria issued warnings about potential material weaknesses, including in its last 10-K filing, and its reported capital expenditures were negative prior to the merger. Most concerning, however, is our discovery that Telaria made nearly $10 million of assets and liabilities inexplicably disappear from its preliminary closing valuation. Evidence also shows that Rubicon was under severe pressure pre-merger, failing to deliver on expectations with its apparently exaggerated growth opportunities. We believe this explains why Rubicon sought to merge with Telaria, which had at least one revenue driver (CTV). Rubicon stopped regular reporting of key metrics such as Ad Spend and Take Rate and changed its Free Cash Flow to a non-standard calculation in our view. Spruce Point always warns investors to be cautious when key disclosures disappear or when key metrics change.
 

Post-merger, evidence suggests Magnite ( MGNI ) is struggling and running two separate businesses while only reporting one operating segment. We question what management is hiding with two separate businesses and only one set of financials, especially given that at the very onset of the merger, management made clear that both businesses were "quite different" and would function as two separate business units on two separate platforms. Instead, Magnite's ( MGNI ) website provides unique login portals for Telaria and Rubicon, respectively. We also discovered that Telaria still has its own employees – including in financial and accounting roles no less – demonstrating that Magnite ( MGNI ) appears to be misrepresenting and misreporting its business by running two separate businesses behind the scenes. We also find that pro forma revenue results do not add up when combining Telaria and Rubicon reported revenue. As another sign that something is dramatically wrong, Magnite's ( MGNI) pro forma organic sales are down 1% year-to-date 2020 with peers up 16%. We estimate Magnite's ( MGNI ) pro forma operating cash flow is down 143% year-to-date 2020.


Evidence suggests Magnite ( MGNI) likely faces significant business headwinds, which are not properly reflected in its currently inflated share price. Despite management's historical and future growth story claims, we believe that the 2020 election cycle had an outsized impact on recent Q3 2020 results, adding an estimated $5 million revenue benefit to its highly promoted CTV business. Absent this one-off contribution, we estimate CTV revenue would have declined 16% on a year-over-year basis. We believe Magnite ( MGNI ) faces business headwinds due to increased customer concentration with XUMO, Pluto and Hulu all coming under control recently by larger corporations. In our experience, rarely is it good news for small vendors when large corporate behemoths acquire smaller, more entrepreneurial companies. Finally, creditors changed Magnite's ( MGNI ) financial covenant from "Adjusted EBITDA" to "Maximum Cash Burn" suggesting that further pressures could lie ahead.

We believe Magnite ( MGNI ) is led by a highly-questionable, unimpressive leadership team.An Ineffective CEO: Before joining Rubicon as its Chief Executive Officer, we believe Michael Barrett destroyed value and failed to promptly disclose a Securities Exchange Commission ("SEC") inquiry regarding goodwill impairment accounting in his prior role as Chief Executive Officer at Millennial Media . This discovery – paired with Rubicon management's exaggerated growth opportunities pre-merger – leads us to believe that Mr. Barrett is unfit to serve as Magnite's ( MGNI ) leader.
 
A CFO with a Questionable Past: 

Magnite's Chief Financial Officer, David Day, has an unimpressive and suspect track record. While holding the Chief Financial Officer role of Spot Runner, the advertising and tech company faced a lawsuit from WPP plc ( WPP ) , which alleged Spot Runner of orchestrating a "pump and dump" scheme.

An Inexperienced and Ill-Suited Chief Accounting Officer: 

With Magnite having recently attained a multi-billion dollar market capitalization, we find it alarming that recently appointed Chief Accounting Officer Shawna Hughes has not held an accounting role since 2013. Shockingly, she recently held human resources leadership roles. We believe analysts have wildly marked up Magnite's ( MGNI ) sales expectations largely on the back of a single quarter and promotion from an analyst with a checkered past. Magnite's shares are heavily promoted by Needham & Company ("Needham"), which blessed the merger with a fairness opinion. We believe that Needham analyst Laura Martin incorrectly models revenue growth as increasing 36% on a year-over-year basis due to an understated pro forma revenue base, when our calculations estimate that Magnite's ( MGNI ) true 2020 expected organic growth is a meager 1.7%. In addition, we believe Ms. Martin incorrectly compares Magnite ( MGNI) to an early The Trade Desk ( TTD ) in terms of market share and growth. Our research suggests this is a long shot. Investors should be aware that legal documents show that Ms. Martin played a role in promoting the 2000 AOL/Time Warner merger, which later settled SEC accounting fraud charges. Legal documents alleged that Ms. Martin was willing to write glowing commentary on AOL so as not to offend management though she was aware AOL was engaging in accounting gimmickry. We believe investors should be incredibly wary of Needham's steep price targets on Magnite ( MGNI ) and conduct their own independent due diligence.

It is also notable that insiders have also been sellers of Magnite ( MGNI ) shares, which should give investors serious pause. If these insiders were so bullish on the Telaria-Rubicon merger, we believe they would have been buying stock cheap ahead of the recent price increase, not selling.

Please note that the items summarized in this press release are expanded upon and supported with data, public filings and records, and images in Spruce Point's full report. As a reminder, our full report, along with its investment disclaimers, can be downloaded and viewed at www.sprucepointcap.com.

Spruce Point has a short position in Magnite, Inc. ( MGNI ) and owns derivative securities that stand to benefit if its share price falls. Spruce Point also has long positions in PubMatic , The Trade Desk ( TTD ) and Roku ( ROKU ) which stand to benefit if their share prices increase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Todem said:

I have a 15 year old son (1 kid) so we have college coming up fast. We planned for it. Everything depends on what he wants. He is a talented baseball player and wants to continue playing in college. D1 schools in Florida are all prepaid. 

My son is a Jr in HS and committed this fall to play lax at an Ivy, forgoing offers at some other D1s that offered scholarships. Ivy's as a rule don't give athletic scholarships in any sports which I never realized until a couple years ago. A kick in the nuts for sure, and I'll have to work an extra year or two, but could not pass it up.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

My son is a Jr in HS and committed this fall to play lax at an Ivy, forgoing offers at some other D1s that offered scholarships. Ivy's as a rule don't give athletic scholarships in any sports which I never realized until a couple years ago. A kick in the nuts for sure, and I'll have to work an extra year or two, but could not pass it up.   

Congratulations!!! That is great for your son. 

Yeah Ivy’s do not offer scholarships. Hence why they do not compete in football, basketball or even baseball. They are all about the education and the money LOL. 

It will be interesting what path my son wants to pursue. When he visits a D1 school he may want that lifestyle and say screw it I can walk on and tryout and hopefully get a recommendation from some of my various coaches. Or he goes to some D2 campus’s and feels comfortable and wants to actually play. I told him....it comes to if it is about the love of the hat or the love of the game. He has a passion for the game so I am already preparing for a D2 tuition bill. Hopefully he keeps his grades at this high level (I am sure he will) and get’s academic money (which is very attainable for him in Florida D2 schools). Time will tell.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

As soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buyAs soon as I hit the contribution button fidelity lets me buy

Same on Vanguard but everything was high on 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6 too! :( Same on Vanguard but everything was high on 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6 too! :(

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Ya, I really feel like an ####### for sitting in them for so long. Embarrassing. 

I wasn’t in target funds aside from a little in my “newer” 401ks but going to self directed changed my net worth by a lot in a short time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lomez said:

This seems counter-intuitive, but if we get Federal legalization, does IIPR get hammered?

Can you provide a little more context on your thesis and how you envision this playing out if the Fed's decriminalize (I doubt that the Feds would issue a carte blanche legalization to pot, but would decriminalize and let states decide)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

A word of caution here.....

You say this is the money you play with, so I hope you are indeed understanding that this will be play money.  A LOT of the stocks mentioned in this thread have extraordinary risks associated with them and due to these risks you need to receive a premium return to justify these risks.  You are up a lot of money in the past few months which is great, but you need to understand that this is a very small amount of time.  And stocks, believe it or not, do not always go up. The only reason I even dare mention this is because I worry about some of the people in this thread.  I cringe at some of the trades being made, in fact, I probably have a good half dozen posters on ignore in here because I am sick of hearing about every damn trade they make, and how they make 15 bucks here or a 3.5% return in 4 hours, and so on and so forth.  You are dabbling with retirement money.  

I am in the same demographic region as Nigel - married, 3 kids, relatively same ages, college expenses, yada yada yada.  I really hope people aren't blindly following these trades with retirement funds, but alas it seems like a lot of people are.  I don't mean to sound like debbie downer at all, but this stock run from last April till now has been unbelievable.  I am also years ahead of retirement, in fact, I could probably retire now if needed, but I'm going to wait 3-4 more years or so, just in case.  

I hope that people that are chasing returns like this are using money they can afford to lose.  I will not liken this to flat out gambling, but.....

I am a very active participant in the stock and options market.  I self manage all of my and my wife's accounts.  I am by no means an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn once, do have a degree in finance, and have been investing since I had to phone in trades, and they cost $99.  I was amped when I could do trades for $49 and then it was so awesome when the internet came around and I could do all my trading for $19 each.  I'm old.

Anyway, these comments have been brought to you by the peanut gallery.  I am firmly on the train with you all, and pray it doesn't end for awhile, but I really do hope everyone understands there is a price to be paid eventually (be it stock market correction, taxes, inflation - oh that is coming).

I hear you, and appreciate you taking the time to provide the cautionary tale. While I haven't been this active with my money in the past I understand what a historic run its been, and that it can't last. I'm pretty top heavy with things like AMZN, SE, CRM, DIS, AAPL - all long-term holds which I've accumulated by buying on dips. Aggressive for now, but not reckless (mostly, recent ETHE adventure the exception), and ready to pump the brakes as necessary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

buddy sent me this

 

Putting one on your radar. Ticker BOXL. Had recent insider buys and today they announced a successful phase one roll out in Texas. Anyone who knows anything about school curriculum will tell you Texas runs the show. Anyone the price is up but recent history would tell me we have a $2.50 to $4.00 price move soon. A lot of money just came in right now. I have 3000 shares at $1.67

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Added to my SPAC holdings today.  SBVCF, a cannabis company that announced a partnership with Jay-Z, and VTIQU, which has indicated a focus on autonomous vehicles, electrification, smart mobility, etc.  

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Swaymoney said:

What is a Roth IRA, rules of it and should I get into it asap, aside from my individual stock investments?

Your question is going to get buried in here but it’s an important one. Ask in the personal finance thread😀

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Swaymoney said:

What is a Roth IRA, rules of it and should I get into it asap, aside from my individual stock investments?

 

6 minutes ago, CR69 said:

Your question is going to get buried in here but it’s an important one. Ask in the personal finance thread😀

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/585126-personal-finance-advice-and-education/?tab=comments#comment-12935527

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

buddy sent me this

 

Putting one on your radar. Ticker BOXL. Had recent insider buys and today they announced a successful phase one roll out in Texas. Anyone who knows anything about school curriculum will tell you Texas runs the show. Anyone the price is up but recent history would tell me we have a $2.50 to $4.00 price move soon. A lot of money just came in right now. I have 3000 shares at $1.67

Bought 50 shares of BOXL back in February at $1.21 waited all the way till July to finally get the hell out at $3 per. Good luck

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drunken slob said:

Bought 50 shares of BOXL back in February at $1.21 waited all the way till July to finally get the hell out at $3 per. Good luck

150% in 5 months, I'll take that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great day overall, but not enough for me not to notice $IMMR just took off all of a sudden. I had JUST rolled my 12.50 covered calls forward to a higher strike before that high volume spike. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

buddy sent me this

 

Putting one on your radar. Ticker BOXL. Had recent insider buys and today they announced a successful phase one roll out in Texas. Anyone who knows anything about school curriculum will tell you Texas runs the show. Anyone the price is up but recent history would tell me we have a $2.50 to $4.00 price move soon. A lot of money just came in right now. I have 3000 shares at $1.67

In for a starter position.  The only thing better than telling people you crushed the stock market due to tips for guys named chet, bugs, mcbonken, and totem is telling them that Big League Chew from the inner webs made you rich.

  • Laughing 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Can you provide a little more context on your thesis and how you envision this playing out if the Fed's decriminalize (I doubt that the Feds would issue a carte blanche legalization to pot, but would decriminalize and let states decide)?

My understanding of IIPR's business is that some (many?) of the properties they're buying are because a number of these weed companies can't use traditional financing due to the illegality of marijuana at the federal level. If banks can't/won't do business with you, how do you get the financing you need to grow your grow? Many of them own properties they're choosing to sell to IIPR to get the cash up front in order to finance operations or grow their business, and in the process they're signing long-term lease agreements with IIPR to continue using those properties.

Because those lease agreements are long-term, it's not like IIPR is going away any time soon. I'm not remotely concerned about that. But growth is a component of their run up to where they are. If the US government makes it easier to pursue traditional financing for companies residing in states where legalization has already occurred, does IIPR lose the source of that growth? Again, it's not like they're folding. And I'm sure they'll still find willing participants. But if they come fewer and further between or that puts pressure on their pricing model, then it's possible we've reached a top. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

 O_O

170% change

Not sure how you find these but damn that’s a get out quick if I’ve ever seen one. $43k in revenue last quarter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Thanks to whoever suggest DMG Blockchain.  Up almost 200% in 7 days.

I mentioned it the other day when thanking @hooter311.  It was about .25 when he mentioned it Dec 1.  I got in at .56 and got out today at $1.40.  Not sure if that was smart, but hard to pass up for a three week hold.  Will keep an eye on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Not sure how you find these but damn that’s a get out quick if I’ve ever seen one. $43k in revenue last quarter?

yep! got in at 2.7 and left around 3.20. kicking myself because it shot up to 4 something. 

probably should have slowly started selling portions instead of the whole lump at once. but im guessing that would eat up my 5 intraday trades in 5 day quota

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, needanap said:

150% in 5 months, I'll take that

Yes, for sure. It just languished for months on end though. If not for that July pop, I'd probably still be stuck with it, lol

Obviously I could have moved out sooner at a smaller profit. For some reason or another I felt like I had to make a certain number on that one and a couple others. Was a good lesson on not being so damn stubborn, taking profit and moving on.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drunken slob said:

Yes, for sure. It just languished for months on end though. If not for that July pop, I'd probably still be stuck with it, lol

Obviously I could have moved out sooner at a smaller profit. For some reason or another I felt like I had to make a certain number on that one and a couple others. Was a good lesson on not being so damn stubborn, taking profit and moving on.  

that takes some patience. i get antsy after a few days

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big League Chew said:

that takes some patience. i get antsy after a few days

Exactly, I could have put that money to work in several other spots. Like I said, lesson learned

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lomez said:

This seems counter-intuitive, but if we get Federal legalization, does IIPR get hammered?

That's the thought and probably why the weakness. I'm holding. Margins would probably go down, but base should grow. I also don't expect it to happen overnight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Great day overall, but not enough for me not to notice $IMMR just took off all of a sudden. I had JUST rolled my 12.50 covered calls forward to a higher strike before that high volume spike. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky.

Amazing day. Glad I added extra LMND in the 80s, huge pop today off of a MF recommendation. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and do nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Amazing day. Glad I added extra LMND in the 80s, huge pop today off of a MF recommendation. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and do nothing. 

I actually bought some more today before the rec - not enough that the bump after is gonna shave time off my retirement, but it was the second completely lucky timing thing I did today. I just saw it going up anyway and figured, well, this thing wants to run.

I did do minor trimming today elsewhere - huge gains everywhere without huge volume for the most part so I felt like it was a good time. Nothing crazy but enough to start a new position in two different accounts.

Edited by McBokonon
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I actually bought some more today before the rec - not enough that the bump after is gonna shave time off my retirement, but it was the second completely lucky timing thing I did today. I just saw it going up anyway and figured, well, this thing wants to run.

I did do minor trimming today elsewhere - huge gains everywhere without huge volume for the most part so I felt like it was a good time. Nothing crazy but enough to start a new position in two different accounts.

I’m just sitting tight on the 70 shares I’ve got (up 65%) for a while.  It’s days like today that make me not want to trim. I’ll be close to 10% cash soon and I do have some things I should have bought in early December. If I trim I may move some money around from non-long term options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, guru_007 said:

A word of caution here.....

You say this is the money you play with, so I hope you are indeed understanding that this will be play money.  A LOT of the stocks mentioned in this thread have extraordinary risks associated with them and due to these risks you need to receive a premium return to justify these risks.  You are up a lot of money in the past few months which is great, but you need to understand that this is a very small amount of time.  And stocks, believe it or not, do not always go up. The only reason I even dare mention this is because I worry about some of the people in this thread.  I cringe at some of the trades being made, in fact, I probably have a good half dozen posters on ignore in here because I am sick of hearing about every damn trade they make, and how they make 15 bucks here or a 3.5% return in 4 hours, and so on and so forth.  You are dabbling with retirement money.  

I am in the same demographic region as Nigel - married, 3 kids, relatively same ages, college expenses, yada yada yada.  I really hope people aren't blindly following these trades with retirement funds, but alas it seems like a lot of people are.  I don't mean to sound like debbie downer at all, but this stock run from last April till now has been unbelievable.  I am also years ahead of retirement, in fact, I could probably retire now if needed, but I'm going to wait 3-4 more years or so, just in case.  

I hope that people that are chasing returns like this are using money they can afford to lose.  I will not liken this to flat out gambling, but.....

I am a very active participant in the stock and options market.  I self manage all of my and my wife's accounts.  I am by no means an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn once, do have a degree in finance, and have been investing since I had to phone in trades, and they cost $99.  I was amped when I could do trades for $49 and then it was so awesome when the internet came around and I could do all my trading for $19 each.  I'm old.

Anyway, these comments have been brought to you by the peanut gallery.  I am firmly on the train with you all, and pray it doesn't end for awhile, but I really do hope everyone understands there is a price to be paid eventually (be it stock market correction, taxes, inflation - oh that is coming).

This is a good posting. Just for kicks I went to the first two pages of the thread (from Jan 2013) and looked up tickers that were being discussed as buys.

Only two (QQQ and something called CPRX) of about fifteen tickers beat a boring S&P index fund if held until today. Five lost money. And this is in a near-continuous bull market.

Notably, there was heavy AAPL discussion - but mostly people unsure of whether to stay with it or sell, not buy. AAPL subsequently did twice as well as an S&P index. There was also someone who shorted AMZN (didn't go well).

I enjoy reading about the trades here, but I don't have the stomach for it. I'm sticking with my target date fund.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, D_House said:

This is a good posting. Just for kicks I went to the first two pages of the thread (from Jan 2013) and looked up tickers that were being discussed as buys.

Only two (QQQ and something called CPRX) of about fifteen tickers beat a boring S&P index fund if held until today. Five lost money. And this is in a near-continuous bull market.

Notably, there was heavy AAPL discussion - but mostly people unsure of whether to stay with it or sell, not buy. AAPL subsequently did twice as well as an S&P index. There was also someone who shorted AMZN (didn't go well).

I enjoy reading about the trades here, but I don't have the stomach for it. I'm sticking with my target date fund.

I think there was way more day trading/gambling on long shots back then, too. There's people here who obviously still do those things but as participant numbers grow, we have a much better blend of long-termers, too. And for us (the mainly long-termers) there's WAY more information available to us than there was even 7 years ago.

That said I'm not ignoring these gains in the past year are nuts, but I'm also on record as someone who thinks we're moving through a legitimate industrial revolution. 

Edited by McBokonon
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...