What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

Continuing the contrarian stance I took a position in TECS @ 8.91. Probably just a day trade, but the market seems to be getting a little jittery and I could see some selloff before the 3-day weekend. Its a 3x inverse of the S&P technology select sector

Last edited by a moderator:
JPM crushes and announces $30 billion buyback, down 2%.  C also smashed it and is down.  It's not going to be a fun earnings season.

Parking some cash in $VCVC, got in at $10.50 premarket. Founders are 10X Capital - Their VC track record is here and includes DraftKings, Wish and Palantir - along with a director from DraftKings. Targeting tech, AI, fintech, etc. 
For these SPACs the warrants (if there are any) are determined when they reach an agreement with a company to go public, is that right?  And if they don't bring a company public after a certain time they return basically ~$10 per share plus interest?  Is that the 50K foot view of SPACs?

For these SPACs the warrants (if there are any) are determined when they reach an agreement with a company to go public, is that right?  And if they don't bring a company public after a certain time they return basically ~$10 per share plus interest?  Is that the 50K foot view of SPACs?
You don't get your money back with warrants (they are available for VCVC, btw) if they dissolve the SPAC without reaching a deal, making them higher risk/reward. The common stock is the one where you at least get 10 bucks back if they never reach a deal.

Continuing the contrarian stance I took a position in NECS @ 8.91. Probably just a day trade, but the market seems to be getting a little jittery and I could see some selloff before the 3-day weekend. Its a 3x inverse of the S&P technology select sector
Not a valid symbol....that is pretty contrarian.

JPM crushes and announces $30 billion buyback, down 2%.  C also smashed it and is down.  It's not going to be a fun earnings season.
They didn’t really “crush” earnings the way we’ve seen some companies do. That release added .79 to earnings so they beat but not close to crushing it like a lot of the tech companies were doing the last few earnings reports (except Tesla LOL). They beat revenue projections by a couple percent so again not a crush just a beat. The stock is at an ATH and up 20% in the last month so I can see why it’s not up right now since it’s revenue for this year is in between their 2017/2018 numbers.

You don't get your money back with warrants (they are available for VCVC, btw) if they dissolve the SPAC without reaching a deal, making them higher risk/reward. The common stock is the one where you at least get 10 bucks back if they never reach a deal.
So if I buy VCVC at 10.50 (for example) and they don't reach an agreement I would get 10 back per share and the warrants would be worthless, right?  If they reach a deal the VCVC stock turns into the "new" stock and I can execute the warrants at a specific strike price, right?  Or am I way off base :bag:  

They didn’t really “crush” earnings the way we’ve seen some companies do. That release added .79 to earnings so they beat but not close to crushing it like a lot of the tech companies were doing the last few earnings reports (except Tesla LOL). They beat revenue projections by a couple percent so again not a crush just a beat. The stock is at an ATH and up 20% in the last month so I can see why it’s not up right now since it’s revenue for this year is in between their 2017/2018 numbers.
That release wasn't planned and is basically found money they can use for buy backs.  More importantly they are saying the pandemic was just a hiccup and not an earth shattering event from a financial perspective.  

So if I buy VCVC at 10.50 (for example) and they don't reach an agreement I would get 10 back per share and the warrants would be worthless, right?  If they reach a deal the VCVC stock turns into the "new" stock and I can execute the warrants at a specific strike price, right?  Or am I way off base :bag:  
Almost there. VCVC is a common stock. VCVC.W are the warrants. They are separate items.

If you buy VCVC, just think of it as a stock where you get $10 a share back if they dissolve. If they merge with a company and bring it private, the ticker will change to match that new company.

The warrants, VCVC.W, are similar to options. You are buying the right to purchase shares at a certain price, usually $11.50. You can exercise these and exchange them for commons at any time, but if you still have warrants when they dissolve the SPAC, they're worthless. I've never traded warrants so there's some details missing, probably.

That release wasn't planned and is basically found money they can use for buy backs.  More importantly they are saying the pandemic was just a hiccup and not an earth shattering event from a financial perspective.  
Already at ATHs so I think the market realized that. If they were still around 100, might have popped but already up 82% from March bottom so red today.

Already at ATHs so I think the market realized that. If they were still around 100, might have popped but already up 82% from March bottom so red today.
fyi...Cosair back down to $38.  Glad I sold some earlier in the week.  Starting to add back.

Almost there. VCVC is a common stock. VCVC.W are the warrants. They are separate items.

If you buy VCVC, just think of it as a stock where you get $10 a share back if they dissolve. If they merge with a company and bring it private, the ticker will change to match that new company.

The warrants, VCVC.W, are similar to options. You are buying the right to purchase shares at a certain price, usually $11.50. You can exercise these and exchange them for commons at any time, but if you still have warrants when they dissolve the SPAC, they're worthless. I've never traded warrants so there's some details missing, probably.
Thanks man, really appreciate this information.  In my SPAC research I somehow thought you got BOTH the shares and the warrants, but this makes more sense :thumbup:

The releases have absolutely been expected. People don't realize that banks had to change how they reserve for loan losses starting in Q1 (due to CECL) last year which, combined with the COVID onset, resulted in a lot of reserve build that was never going to be needed. Similarly, massive bank buybacks have also been expected. 

fyi...Cosair back down to $38.  Glad I sold some earlier in the week.  Starting to add back.
I like them long term. I may add a little but I’m not adding much right now.

Mad at myself for not selling some SEDG earlier this week. That’s one of my I think it went too high but now it’s gotten trimmed already.

Thanks man, really appreciate this information.  In my SPAC research I somehow thought you got BOTH the shares and the warrants, but this makes more sense :thumbup:
That’s if you buy it early after the IPO when it’s a U share before the split to common and warrant.

Take a look at BB (Blackberry, who I thought went out of business) the past few days. Speculation that it is up big becuase of either selling its patents to Huwaei (sp?) or settling its litigsation with FB. I got a tip from a buddy that BB apparently has some crazy secure and private technology patents that are far better than Apple. There was a recent DEA convention and all the talk was about how much more difficult it is going to make their jobs - cartels and drug gangs and mobsters are going to be all over those types of phones, whatever they are. I don't think I'm jumping in but wanted to share with you all. It's cooling off already today.

Well, you can! When a SPAC first starts out, they start out as Units, and usually have a U after the ticker - in this case, you can get VCVCU, which is equal to one common and a warrant or fraction of a warrant (the past part varies by SPAC)

XXXXU = Unit = Common+Warrant

XXXX.W = Warrant only

XXXX = Common only

Often they all trade at the same time, but usually start out as just Units

You can. It depends on the Ticker you use.

For example, IIRC, NGA is the ticker for Northern Genesis shares. NGA/WS is the ticker for Northern Genesis Warrants. NGA/U is the ticker to get both. Typically you'll start with just the "U" version when the SPAC starts, then they split them into the W and the Shares, as well.

They kind of crushed for their sector, right? Unsure if it is fair to compare to the tech sector. But you know more about it than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
They kind of crushed for their sector, right? Unsure if it is fair to compare to the tech sector. But you know more about it than I do.
It was a good earnings report but the stock was up 20% this month in anticipation of a good report. Let’s just say it wasn’t a surprise good earnings. A crush would be unexpected and drive the price up. Some folks in the tech sector did crush earnings and not move much because they had gone up 40-50%, although since the end of October most have still moved up a bunch.

Anyway, after looking at the numbers and the run up, it makes sense they weren’t up and they are dropping with the rest of the market.

It's just a thought for now.  But what if intc new head honcho decides to not make his own chips
I thought I heard a while back when they mentioned being behind that it could benefit TSM. Why do you think they would automatically go with #2?

Out of curiosity, how many shares would you consider a "starter position?"
10 is my usual jumping on point but in this case it was 20.  I don't have the account value some of these guys do to jump in at 100 shares.  Also I'm working with my entire retirement account so any trades I make are not my "gambling" account, meaning I'm more conservative than most here with these funds.  Diversity is hugely important to my plan as I own no index funds.  I'm satisfied with stacking up a bunch of little wins.  I currently have 25 SPACS that haven't converted so it adds up pretty quickly as I have between $100 to a high of $5000 invested in each.  I like to leave room to add if there's a drop.  If it runs, then I'll add later on days when there are pullbacks.  A few minutes ago I scanned the list for anything getting hammered today.  Often on days like today I'll add 5-10 shares here and there.

I strongly encourage anyone new here or dealing with a small account not to feel the need to home runs based on other people crushing it.  Just start stacking up a bunch of singles and years from now you'll be in a position where 100 shares is a starter position.

Users who are viewing this thread