What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

I could see a lot of teams being interested in adding Byrd to their team at likely a discount of his real worth in exchange for taking on a big contract.

Unless he is really hurt.

A bad situation for Bills fans either way. He has been a good player.

Just found out today that I've got a free ticket to the game tomorrow. And I'm going with a 150-person group to the week 2 game vs. Carolina. Those are my only 2 games planned for the year as of now...we'll see how the season goes.

To you season ticket holders, more power to you....I gave mine up a few years ago.

:hifive: to anyone going to the game tomorrow. Have a good one.

Starting to question whether this football thing is really worth it. New coach, new QB, new era. Opening day vs. a hated team, 4pt lead, and I can't find the strength to cheer or even fistpump a sack of Brady on 3rd&goal because I know how the game is going to end. I mean what's the point if I can't get excited for a play like that? I feel horrible about it but at the same time I wasn't wrong. The losing just never ever stops. Hats off to you guys who show up to the stadium every week & scream your lungs off.

Just found out today that I've got a free ticket to the game tomorrow. And I'm going with a 150-person group to the week 2 game vs. Carolina. Those are my only 2 games planned for the year as of now...we'll see how the season goes.

To you season ticket holders, more power to you....I gave mine up a few years ago.

:hifive: to anyone going to the game tomorrow. Have a good one.
The 'sack family will be there too. Photo-op near a Labatt's vendor?

I am optimistic about the rest of the season. The offense played about as well as you might expect a rookie QB to play when he missed three weeks of preseason.

The defense was missing two of their best and held Brady to two FGs in the second half. The Pats had three red zone trips in that half and came up with 6 points.

The only TDs were given up on drives that started at the 16 and 32 of Buffalo thanks to fumbles.

Dont forget how high everyone was on this D last year, I think the coach and coordinator had a lot to do with how brutal they played. If they can keep it close we could have a winning season if the offense can correct a few mistakes.

And the secondary gets even thinner as Ron Brooks is on crutches today. He made a couple of really nice plays yesterday too.

I am optimistic about the rest of the season. The offense played about as well as you might expect a rookie QB to play when he missed three weeks of preseason.

The defense was missing two of their best and held Brady to two FGs in the second half. The Pats had three red zone trips in that half and came up with 6 points.

The only TDs were given up on drives that started at the 16 and 32 of Buffalo thanks to fumbles.

Dont forget how high everyone was on this D last year, I think the coach and coordinator had a lot to do with how brutal they played. If they can keep it close we could have a winning season if the offense can correct a few mistakes.
A big part of the optimism on the defense going into last year was the idea that the DL would be dominant - particularly Mario & Dareus (who we had only seen as a rookie). I think we've seen a big enough sample now to say that's just not going to happen. There's still no pass-rush from the front 4, and they still get gashed vs the run too easily. There are a crapload of defenders in that 2011 draft that every team would pick over Dareus at this point.

The secondary was borderline heroic without their two best players. Hopefully some of those guys are way better than everyone thought. I tend to think a lot of it had to do with Brady going exclusively dink&dunk circa 2002 due to his limited weapons. We will see, it was one game.

Pettine is a big upgrade over Wanndsteadt - that much I will agree.

Starting to question whether this football thing is really worth it. New coach, new QB, new era. Opening day vs. a hated team, 4pt lead, and I can't find the strength to cheer or even fistpump a sack of Brady on 3rd&goal because I know how the game is going to end. I mean what's the point if I can't get excited for a play like that? I feel horrible about it but at the same time I wasn't wrong. The losing just never ever stops. Hats off to you guys who show up to the stadium every week & scream your lungs off.
Same here. At no point yesterday was I any more excited than I would have been if it had been a preseason game. Basically I was just watching to see how Manuel played, how the defense was coming together, and what the new coaching staff was up to. There was no doubt in my mind that New England would win. I guess that says something about me as a fan, but it also says a lot about this franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Goodwin has a broken hand. He was spotted with a cast on his hand. Unbelievable.
This is a big blow to the offense as Goodwin was the primary deep threat to stretch the field. His absence means more crowded boxes for Spiller and Stevie to navigate through.

GroveDiesel said:
And the secondary gets even thinner as Ron Brooks is on crutches today. He made a couple of really nice plays yesterday too.
The Bills being the Bills.

:wall:

Graham and Easley can both stretch the field too, but I was really excited about Goodwin. He had a tremendous preseason. Sucks that he catches one ball, breaks his hand, fumbles the ball and is out for who knows how long now?

Sounds like Goodwin has a broken hand. He was spotted with a cast on his hand. Unbelievable.
This is a big blow to the offense as Goodwin was the primary deep threat to stretch the field. His absence means more crowded boxes for Spiller and Stevie to navigate through.
Graham should be able to stretch the field a bit, too. He had his man toasted on that one deep ball Manuel under threw. Too bad they didn't connect on that one. :(

Graham and Easley can both stretch the field too, but I was really excited about Goodwin. He had a tremendous preseason. Sucks that he catches one ball, breaks his hand, fumbles the ball and is out for who knows how long now?
Graham is too easily jammed at the line to break free on a regular basis (this was his problem last year).... essentially Roscoe Parrish_v2. Easley would be great, except he's never actually proven that he can contribute in the regular season.

On a positive note: The Bills averaged 4.0ypc, good for 8th in the league so far despite Spiller's putrid day. And they gave up zero sacks. Not bad against a pretty good defensive front. I thought Brown was pretty bad though. He gave up several pressures and got no push in the run game. That position is going to have to be addressed at some point.

On a positive note: The Bills averaged 4.0ypc, good for 8th in the league so far despite Spiller's putrid day. And they gave up zero sacks. Not bad against a pretty good defensive front. I thought Brown was pretty bad though. He gave up several pressures and got no push in the run game. That position is going to have to be addressed at some point.
I don't put all of the blame on Spiller... he just didn't have much room to run. Jackson did do more with the same line, although his YPC was slightly inflated by his long run that had the only decent hole the line opened all day.

I foresee another difficult day running next week against Carolina. They bottled up a MUCH better rushing offense (Seattle) and we will be missing out best deep threat (Goodwin) to stretch the field.

That was a rough one, Thought they'd bring Butler back but he has a tryout with TB tomorrow. Robey played well as the slot corner and ended up with a 67-10 snap advantage over Brooks anyways. Hopefully beat Carolina at home.

That was a rough one, Thought they'd bring Butler back but he has a tryout with TB tomorrow. Robey played well as the slot corner and ended up with a 67-10 snap advantage over Brooks anyways. Hopefully beat Carolina at home.
Wasn't Edelman Robey's guy on both touchdowns?

I'm still mad we let go of Da'Rick Rogers so the Colts could scoop him up on their practice squad

It's not like Da'Rick would be able to come in off the PS and help, he's still more of a project. If we activate Hogan he was catching everything from Maneul during camp.

After watching the Rewind of this game, I was wrong on Dareus. He was terrible in the first half. So weak. He kept getting pushed all over the place and was constantly off balance. He did play a much better 3rd quarter though.

Colin Brown is just awful though. There was penetration on just about every Spiller run on that side. The LBers were lining up within 2 yards of the LoS and it looked like they had a safety assigned to spy just on Spiller when he was in the game.

PFF verifying how bad Colin Brown and Marcel Dareus were. Both named to their Had A Bad Day team. It seems that Brown had the worst grade of any offensive player in the league. Oof. Legursky's injury hurt (which is disconcerting in itself since Legursky isn't that good either), but I don't understand why the Bills didn't desperately try to find someone else. Anyone else.

Whatever happened with Hairston really sucked too. I think Hairston would have ended up the RT and Pears would have moved to guard.

ETA: Link added:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/10/had-a-bad-day-team-week-1-2/

PFF verifying how bad Colin Brown and Marcel Dareus were. Both named to their Had A Bad Day team. It seems that Brown had the worst grade of any offensive player in the league. Oof. Legursky's injury hurt (which is disconcerting in itself since Legursky isn't that good either), but I don't understand why the Bills didn't desperately try to find someone else. Anyone else.

Whatever happened with Hairston really sucked too. I think Hairston would have ended up the RT and Pears would have moved to guard.
But at least we have six safeties and two kickers. :thumbup:

Hoping Marrone watched Chip go for it on 4th and short. Could have been a game changer if he did that after Stevie's drop in the 4th quarter.

Just watched the 22 footage, the WRs did nothing! Almost every route, the outside WRs just ran straight down the field.

Way too basic, no wonder they werent involved much in the passing game.

Just watched the 22 footage, the WRs did nothing! Almost every route, the outside WRs just ran straight down the field.

Way too basic, no wonder they werent involved much in the passing game.
The offense is way too vanilla. They ran the ball right up the middle 17 of the 34 times they ran. 17 was the most runs up the middle of any team. That's way too many when Colin Brown sucks and when Spiller is so much more dangerous on the outside.

They'd better open up the playbook really soon or it's going to be a long season.

Hoping Marrone watched Chip go for it on 4th and short. Could have been a game changer if he did that after Stevie's drop in the 4th quarter.
I have to say, sitting there watching the Bills game on Sunday, I finally came to the conclusion that I am absolutely sick of conventional football. They've played conventional football for 13 years without a playoff berth. Start taking chances....stop punting so much, start going for 2. #### it. Play to win the game. I personally won't fault the coaching staff if they take a gamble on a reasonable 4th down to win a game and fail and lose in the end, something like that. 4th and 2 near the 50, with a 1st down to win it late? #### it...go for it. I just want to see something different for once.

Colin Brown is just awful though. There was penetration on just about every Spiller run on that side. The LBers were lining up within 2 yards of the LoS and it looked like they had a safety assigned to spy just on Spiller when he was in the game.
I'm glad I read this as I was worried about Spiller. He just looked lost to my alcohol sodden self. It seemed like every time he got the ball he had zero vision and just plunged into a crowd of big bodies. Sounds it was a mix of poor blocking and BB gameplanning against him.

Quick practice note: sounds like Byrd is practicing today. I hope that's a good sign. Better than him not practicing I guess. Although this could just give him an excuse to say his foot got sore again and shut it down for another week.

An even better note: Gilmore is hoping to be back early. He's going to see the doctor next week. Would be awesome to get him back week 3 or 4.

Don't think Byrd plays but would be nice.

Game should be close, Carolina should be able to generate enough with the run game and Cam and his legs, I think McMelvin should contain Smith. Only person in the pass game that worries me.

Our O-line will have their hands full so hopefully a bunch of quick hitters, screens etc, heck even some motion would be nice. Hopefully Wood can get to the second level and some play actions can keep Luke off balance.

Can't wait!

I guess they are banged up at the guard position but still have two book end tackles.

The Hall announced 126 modern day candidates for this year.

Am I crazy for thinking that both Kent Hull and Steve Tasker are more deserving than Andre Reed? Of the three, I think Tasker definitely should be in but also think because he was a special teams ace, he never will get in (kinda like Ray Guy's problem). It's a damn shame. That guy had so many memorable plays, was responsible for such great field position, etc. It's too bad he never returned kicks too or he'd stand a better chance of getting in.

KENT HULL – C – 1986-1996 Buffalo Bills

Helped lead the Bills to six division, and four conference championships. Selected first-team All-Pro three times and named to three Pro Bowl teams. During 11 seasons he played in 170 games and a full 16-game schedule nine times.

STEVE TASKER – ST/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills
Earned seven Pro Bowl invitations as a special teams player. Only person in NFL history to earn Pro Bowl MVP honors at that position (1993). All-Pro choice five times and All-AFC seven seasons.

ANDRE REED – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
Helped lead Bills to unprecedented four straight Super Bowls. Seven-time Pro Bowl selection, caught 951 receptions for 13,198 yards and 87 touchdowns in 16 seasons. All-Conference four times and Second-Team All-Pro three consecutive seasons.
Fed Smerlas, Ted Washington, Biscuit Bennett and Bledsoe are all up for it too.

The Hall announced 126 modern day candidates for this year.

Am I crazy for thinking that both Kent Hull and Steve Tasker are more deserving than Andre Reed? Of the three, I think Tasker definitely should be in but also think because he was a special teams ace, he never will get in (kinda like Ray Guy's problem). It's a damn shame. That guy had so many memorable plays, was responsible for such great field position, etc. It's too bad he never returned kicks too or he'd stand a better chance of getting in.

KENT HULL – C – 1986-1996 Buffalo Bills

Helped lead the Bills to six division, and four conference championships. Selected first-team All-Pro three times and named to three Pro Bowl teams. During 11 seasons he played in 170 games and a full 16-game schedule nine times.

STEVE TASKER – ST/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills

Earned seven Pro Bowl invitations as a special teams player. Only person in NFL history to earn Pro Bowl MVP honors at that position (1993). All-Pro choice five times and All-AFC seven seasons.

ANDRE REED – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Helped lead Bills to unprecedented four straight Super Bowls. Seven-time Pro Bowl selection, caught 951 receptions for 13,198 yards and 87 touchdowns in 16 seasons. All-Conference four times and Second-Team All-Pro three consecutive seasons.
Fed Smerlas, Ted Washington, Biscuit Bennett and Bledsoe are all up for it too.
I'm surprised Tasker isn't a better announcer because he was such a smart player.

One kick he did return was an ad-lib scoop off a squib vs the Raiders in the playoffs which basically won the game (not the 51-3 game obviously).

I don't know about more deserving than Reed though. Reed is weird because his #'s aren't as good as I thought even adjusting for the era. And yet I don't remember any kind of consensus at the time of his peak that Chris Carter & Tim Brown were better players, but maybe that's just my 10-16yr old Bills fan memory. :shrug: I can understand why voters are on the fence with him. Hope he gets in some day.

Not sure what his level of participation is, but Joe Buscaglia is reporting that Byrd is practicing again. If he can go this week against the Panthers and Steve Smith, that would be huge.

T.J. Graham - WR - Bills
E.J. Manuel said the Bills want to get T.J. Graham more touches starting this week.
Graham played on 61-of-64 Week 1 snaps, but somehow ended up with zero catches on one target. Manuel insists that's because the Bills implemented a short, conservative passing scheme against the Patriots. "The game plan was different for New England than it was for this weekend," Manuel said. Look for Graham to get a few deep shots against Carolina's shaky secondary this week, but he's impossible to trust in re-draft formats right now.

Two quick stats:

1) through 2 games the Bills have given up just one sack. Unless I'm wrong, that was when fullback Frank Summers missed the blitz pickup and Manuel had the ball knocked away when holding it way too far out from his body. Manuel has bailed them out a few times too, but the line has held pretty well in the passing games

2) despite me hating it, the margin between winning and going to overtime was the 2 point conversion

Bonus stat: Mario Williams now owns the Bills record for most sacks in a game with 4.5.

Another quick stat: EJ Manuel is the first rookie QB since 1960 to have a QB rating over 89 in both of his first two starts.

Yeah, 89 seems crazy arbitrary, but I think it still says something. He has a LONG way to go still, especially with the need to look downfield more instead of checking down so often, but he has been pretty efficient and made some tough throws. I know Stevie ended up wide open on that last TD, but Manuel had to throw that ball before Stevie broke and was open and it was a pretty nice touch pass.

Another quick stat: EJ Manuel is the first rookie QB since 1960 to have a QB rating over 89 in both of his first two starts.

Yeah, 89 seems crazy arbitrary, but I think it still says something. He has a LONG way to go still, especially with the need to look downfield more instead of checking down so often, but he has been pretty efficient and made some tough throws. I know Stevie ended up wide open on that last TD, but Manuel had to throw that ball before Stevie broke and was open and it was a pretty nice touch pass.
:goodposting:

I noticed that too when I was watching highlights later in the evening. It was a good pass and had a good chance of being a TD even if the Panther defender hadn't botched his assignment.

Going for 2 was correct and not because they made it. The advantage of being down 1 instead of 2 is ultimately embedded in a 2pointer possibly helping you later in the game (eg: you give up a TD and are now down 8 instead of 9, or you score a TD and can go for 2 to go up by 7). All you're doing by kicking the PAT is delaying the conversion attempt which is no more likely to be successful later. Might as well try & tie the game.

The fade/fade/FG sequence from the 2 otoh made me faint. Do they know we don't have Dez Bryant (which even if we did would still be a questionable series)?

Nice to see the D hold up. Pettine is a massive upgrade. Probably lucky to not be playing any good passing attacks with these injuries in the secondary. Still McKelvin has proven me wrong so far; I hope he keeps it up.

:goodposting:

I noticed that too when I was watching highlights later in the evening. It was a good pass and had a good chance of being a TD even if the Panther defender hadn't botched his assignment.
Doesn't that kind of depend on where the defender was? The ball was a bit underthrown, if the defender was in the area I highly doubt it would have been completed. Not blaming him for the pass by the way, he was under pressure and had to get rid of it.

I'm starting to feel like Byrd is going to play this next week. The secondary has actually been pretty darn good without him. A few lapses here and there, but still pretty good. And he's either going to want to be part of what is going on, or he's going to see his value slide a bit as the Buffalo defense plays just fine without him.

If he's not enticed to take part in what Pettine is doing out there right now, then I'd have to seriously question his heart.

When Gilmore gets back...wow. This defense could be really good by year end.

Now if Marcel Dareus just stops being a bum...

Meh, let Bryd rest another week. If we can contain NE and Carolina's passing game, I don't think the Jets spitwad aerial assault is going to be a problem.

BTW, why isn't Mario's 4.5 sack game getting any attention? Any media discussion of Buffalo has been on EJ's day, but Mario almost single-handedly disrupted Newton's game. 4.5 sacks in one game isn't something that happens that often.

:shrug:

I'm starting to feel like Byrd is going to play this next week. The secondary has actually been pretty darn good without him. A few lapses here and there, but still pretty good. And he's either going to want to be part of what is going on, or he's going to see his value slide a bit as the Buffalo defense plays just fine without him.

If he's not enticed to take part in what Pettine is doing out there right now, then I'd have to seriously question his heart.

When Gilmore gets back...wow. This defense could be really good by year end.

Now if Marcel Dareus just stops being a bum...
Honestly, I don't blame Byrd at all for being pissed with the organization. I don't understand why the Bills seem so averse to paying the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread