What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (3 Viewers)

Did anyone else catch the "You're welcome" that Brad threw to Ken when he found the last DD in the second half of yesterday's match?  I'm sure Ken is perfectly fine with Brad wasting the DD's, as long as they combine to keep them away from James, that's a win in Ken's book.  That entire third game hinged on James missing the garnet question.  He's something like 95% success on DD's and getting that one would have put him at a $10,000 lead with both opponents at 0, just a crushing start to that game.  He's almost always hitting home runs on those, but that just happened to be a strikeout.  James ended up third in that game, which is the first time ever for him.

All the respect in the world to Brad for his accomplishments, but he's not currently in the same league as Ken or James.  
They all knew that with James not getting that DD, it basically made the match a lock for Ken. Doubling up in FJ of the first game put him so far ahead that it was basically impossible for James to get enough points to close the gap. Brad had just given the match to Ken.

What I love about this tournament over the others is that I genuinely like all 3 of the contestants and I'm enjoying watching them banter with each other and with Alex almost as much as the competition itself.  James laughing at Brad because he beat him to the Philly question, Ken with his "Ok Boomer" answer, Brad with the "Ken es el hombre" in FJ yesterday, their commentary during the breaks and the player intros, they all seem like they are having a great time and have a genuine respect for each other (even if they don't like each other, which I'm not sure James and Ken do).  

Brad is an easily likeable guy and has been around Jeopardy! forever, Ken is witty and funny (follow him on Twitter if you don't already) and had the amazing streak that I remember so well from my college days, and James is just a steamroller who bets big, and has the chops to back it up. 

Miss not having another one tonight.

Fun Facts: All 18 Daily Doubles have had the maximum amount bet on them this tournament.

Game 4 is scheduled for Tuesday, January 14, 8:00 PM Eastern.

Mrs. Rannous said:
She does seem to be quite attractive.  I wonder if she'll be involved with the show going forward.
Watching now. Wow, she is smoking hot. 

And Vanna is terrible as the host. When Pat gets back they should get rid of Vanna and keep his daughter. 

Liking Katie, the current regular show champion.

Very cute if just a bit blinky.

Last edited by a moderator:
James and Ken on Twitter:

Ken: “BREAKING: I have decided to follow @James_Holzhauer on Twitter, since he’s been following me on Jeopardy all week.”

And:

James: “My wife is going to make me roleplay as @KenJennings tonight”

Ken: “It’s all about timing on the button.”

😂

The three GOAT Jeopardy episodes outdrew every MNF telecast this season except one (Sea - SF).

But wasn't the reason this was wrong was because the contestants were supposed to name the country the church was in. Palestine is not a country that I know. 
"Built in the 300s A.D., the Church of the Nativity", under the category "Where's that Church?"

Doesn't specify country.  It wasn't in Palistine when it was built but that wasn't the question either I guess.  

Surprised that question didn't end up on the cutting room floor.  

"Built in the 300s A.D., the Church of the Nativity", under the category "Where's that Church?"

Doesn't specify country.  It wasn't in Palistine when it was built but that wasn't the question either I guess.  

Surprised that question didn't end up on the cutting room floor.  
But I believe that was in Alex's instructions. If you can find a clip of all the clues and answers of the entire category there was multiple times the contestants named the city and Alex ruled them wrong. There was even one answer where the answer named the city of the Crystal Church in a US city (in California) then changed their answer to the United States in time. 

Palestine is recognized by most countries in the world.
But not as a country. I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to say what I think Jeopardy was going for out of the question. I agree that it was a poor question, but I think the argument is being partially based on something being taken out of context. 

I'm not a regular watcher of the show. I remember Ken and watched most of James' run but never heard of Brad. He's um...not doing well. I feel bad for him.

It's been a fun series so far. Enjoying the banter between them all.  Morticia Adams! C'mon!

But not as a country. I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to say what I think Jeopardy was going for out of the question. I agree that it was a poor question, but I think the argument is being partially based on something being taken out of context. 
Apparently Palestine is recognized as a sovereign state by 138 UN members and Israel's occupation of the territory is considered illegal. 

The US is not one of the countries that recognizes Palestine as a nation. 

When Alex read the names of the categories, after reading "Where's that Church," he said "You have to give us the present country".

An article I read noted "Palestine is not officially recognized as a state by the United Nations, Israel, the United States, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and most of the European Union."

I don't know the rules of Jeopardy, but, on some other game shows, when asking for a country, they'll indicate they mean they're looking for 'a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right'. Palestine would not qualify under that rule, placing Bethlehem in Israel instead.
Thanks. I didn't see the episode so missed that.  

Jeopardy! statement:

Correction to Jeopardy! Bethlehem Clue: In the process of taping this clue, “BUILT IN THE 300s A.D., THE CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY,” we became aware that the clue was flawed as written and that determining an acceptable response would be problematic. In accordance with our rules and in the interest of fairness, we voided the clue and threw it out. We restored Katie’s and Jack’s scores to what they were prior to the clue. The outcome of the game was not affected. We then continued the game with this replacement clue. 

Unfortunately, through human error in post-production, the uncorrected version of the game was broadcast. We regret the error and we will make every effort to ensure this never happens again. 

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/correction-jeopardy-bethlehem-clue

Did ken want another game or something? Or was he just betting on James not knowing it? 
If James got it right, Ken couldn't catch him ...Ken carried in a 30K+ point lead, but if James was correct on FJ, Ken would lose the second game by 40K+ (or more).  He had to bet on the hope that James would get it wrong.

If James got it right, Ken couldn't catch him ...Ken carried in a 30K+ point lead, but if James was correct on FJ, Ken would lose the second game by 40K+ (or more).  He had to bet on the hope that James would get it wrong.
:wall:  I was thinking of the overall total. 

I was really hoping the winner would donate a bigly portion to pancreatic cancer research.  This tournament was something of a lifetime achievement event ...a donation would symbolize a lifetime recognition for Alex' career on the show.  That would have been epic.

So, Jeopardy is basically over now, right?

30 years building up to this point. GOAT crowned.  Alex 😪

It'll be hard for the show to get any momentum from here I think.

I was rooting for Ken and was happy to see him finally take a big tournament.

James was great, as always, and a good sport, too.  :thumbup:

Still amazed how poorly Rutter performed - would never have guessed that.  :shock:

Brad missed just about every DD he found, but at no point during these four nights did he ever get in any kind of groove with the buzzer. Seemed like all throughout Ken or James would answer 3-5 questions in a row, Brad was only successfully buzzing in every 15ish clues if he was lucky.  It felt like he was just happy to be there at times, just smiling along to everything that was said (even James’ joke about his 0 score) and generally just staying out of their way. 

Man, what a run by Ken. He beat James using James’ own style. Brad wasting one of the two DD’s in the second round every single game certainly helped to keep them away from James, but other than the 1000 pt wager on the clue about Courtney Love tonight I don’t remember Ken going all in and whiffing. 

Two crucial errors in the tournament by James, the garnet DD clue that he missed that would have set him up to close the gap on Ken in Game 2 of Match 3, and missing FJ tonight. He NEVER misses FJ.  

I’ll be looking for an announcement about Trebek stepping away. Maybe Ken replaces him as host?  Not sure how his French pronunciations are...

Brad missed just about every DD he found, but at no point during these four nights did he ever get in any kind of groove with the buzzer. Seemed like all throughout Ken or James would answer 3-5 questions in a row, Brad was only successfully buzzing in every 15ish clues if he was lucky.  It felt like he was just happy to be there at times, just smiling along to everything that was said (even James’ joke about his 0 score) and generally just staying out of their way. 

Man, what a run by Ken. He beat James using James’ own style. Brad wasting one of the two DD’s in the second round every single game certainly helped to keep them away from James, but other than the 1000 pt wager on the clue about Courtney Love tonight I don’t remember Ken going all in and whiffing. 

Two crucial errors in the tournament by James, the garnet DD clue that he missed that would have set him up to close the gap on Ken in Game 2 of Match 3, and missing FJ tonight. He NEVER misses FJ.  

I’ll be looking for an announcement about Trebek stepping away. Maybe Ken replaces him as host?  Not sure how his French pronunciations are...
Will 95 year old Johnny Gilbert go with him?

I think Jeopardy should transition to a new format with Ken as host, taking a page from Win Ben Stein’s Money. Each champ faces off against Ken in a 10-question lightning round for a progressive jackpot that starts at $10k and grows with each failed attempt. Add some excitement and intrigue to get people watching post-Trebek.

I was really hoping the winner would donate a bigly portion to pancreatic cancer research.  This tournament was something of a lifetime achievement event ...a donation would symbolize a lifetime recognition for Alex' career on the show.  That would have been epic.
What do you mean, "was"?  The tournament just finished.  No one has had time to donate anything.

Users who are viewing this thread