What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Randle cut and suspended for four games (1 Viewer)

Dallas pursued Michael and passed on options that would have cost them nothing. If all Dallas wanted was depth they would have brought in a safer veteran. Whether they're wrong or not they brought in Michael because of his potential, not insurance.

Seattle lets offensive talent go pretty often. They have a system and they plug guys that can run it the best regardless of physical ability. Dallas clearly doesn't value players the same way. From T.O. to Dez to Hardy they value talent above compatibility and are willing to deal with the headaches. Unless Dallas goes undefeated with Randle and McFadden for the first five weeks Michael will get a chance to show if he can outdo them for at least a game.

Life must be easy when things are this black and white.
It's not a black and white thing for me... it's a preponderance of the evidence. I'm floored how many people expect Michael to just waltz in and take this over when the vast majority of the evidence to date says that's not going to happen.
There really isn't anywhere close to enough evidence on either Michael OR Randle to make a definitive call one way or another at this point. The strongest data point we have on either of them is their initial NFL draft position, and we're far enough removed from that that it's sketchy information at best. Most reasonable folks in here seem to be saying that it's a crapshoot. Randle has a leg up out of the gate certainly, as he knows the system -- but Michael's physical ability absolutely presents a bigger threat to Randle's role than does a used up McFadden, provided Michael's head is in the right place. Whether it is or not is anybody's guess.

Darren McFadden - RB - Cowboys

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill calls Darren McFadden the "likely starter" for the Cowboys' Week 1 opener against the Giants.
This comes as a mild surprise after signs continued to point toward Joseph Randle getting the "start" Sunday night. According to Hill, the Cowboys "don't have a pitch count" for McFadden and could conceivably ride him for the game's entirety. That seems unlikely, and both Randle and Lance Dunbar should get work, but this further proves this is a situation to avoid Week 1.

Really bad news for the Randle believers
this situation is going to be a mess....

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill calls Darren McFadden the "likely starter" for the Cowboys' Week 1 opener against the Giants.

This comes as a mild surprise after signs continued to point toward Joseph Randle getting the "start" Sunday night. According to Hill, the Cowboys "don't have a pitch count" for McFadden and could conceivably ride him for the game's entirety. That seems unlikely, and both Randle and Lance Dunbar should get work, but this further proves this is a situation to avoid Week 1.

For a week or two until he gets hurt, maybe. This is going to come down to Randle / Michael IMO.

McFadden has looked like utter garbage for three years running now. Unless the 2009 - 2010 version shows up somehow, this is just smoke IMO.

I can't imagine this is Garrett's or Linehan's idea, seriously.
Everyone knows. The only surprise is that Jerry hasn't signed Felix Jones off the street so he can have the whole mid-2000s Razorbackfield. Then he could get naked during practices and games, tuck his thrillhammer and bag o' plums back through his legs, and blast "Goodbye Horses" while he dances around the owner's suite.

By your own line of argument.. D Murray must be worthless because Dallas didn't re-sign/extend him.

Randle must be more worthless because he couldn't unseat the worthless D Murray.

And so on. An easy game to play if you pick and choose like you are. The reality of course is there is much more to it, and a lot of differences between where he left and where he went in terms of opportunity/obstacles.
Oof.

By your own line of argument.. D Murray must be worthless because Dallas didn't re-sign/extend him.

Randle must be more worthless because he couldn't unseat the worthless D Murray.

And so on. An easy game to play if you pick and choose like you are. The reality of course is there is much more to it, and a lot of differences between where he left and where he went in terms of opportunity/obstacles.
Oof.
Exactly.

Life must be easy when things are this black and white.
It's not a black and white thing for me... it's a preponderance of the evidence. I'm floored how many people expect Michael to just waltz in and take this over when the vast majority of the evidence to date says that's not going to happen.
I don't think there are many people who feel that way.

Reading the Twitter feed from this quote it sounds like it's his opinion and not coach speak. But where there is smoke there is fire. This starting to get way messier than I thought. Still gonna roll with him Sunday night unless official word from the team shows McFadden as the #1

Again, I am fairly confident that the whole Jerry Jones gives preferential treatment to Razorbacks is complete urban legend. The Cowboys have drafted one Razorback while Jones has owned the team. And Felix Jones wasn't exactly a reach based upon his college career. I think people forget that he was an All-American with a 7.7 YPC on 386 carries. Felix was a disappointment in the NFL but he was a serious player in college.

Again, I am fairly confident that the whole Jerry Jones gives preferential treatment to Razorbacks is complete urban legend. The Cowboys have drafted one Razorback while Jones has owned the team. And Felix Jones wasn't exactly a reach based upon his college career. I think people forget that he was an All-American with a 7.7 YPC on 386 carries. Felix was a disappointment in the NFL but he was a serious player in college.
They both were great in college. So was Trent Richardson.

Peyton Hillis is available.

This is reminiscent of the Broncos backfield under Shanahan. You knew the points were going to be there, but you didn't know who was going to get them. Those who gamble will either be rewarded or suffer greatly.

This is reminiscent of the Broncos backfield under Shanahan. You knew the points were going to be there, but you didn't know who was going to get them. Those who gamble will either be rewarded or suffer greatly.
I don't know the points will be there. McFadden gummed up the works for Latavius Murray for almost a whole season.

Oof.
Exactly.
IMO he did a pretty good job presenting evidence to support his position, while you're just throwing up a straw man. Doesn't mean it's going to end up the way he thinks, but his logic is a heck of a lot better than how you're trying to twist it.

and Randle is working with the first team.... this is clear as mud. No opinions are going to change until the bullets fly.

I should go back and see if there can be two viable RBs with this OC.... what the historical split has been (not the run Murray into the ground from last year)

I don't think any one RB will run away with the job since none are the complete back that Murray is/was

My WAG is Randle has the most touches this year and is a viable RB2. McFadden will flash once in a while, but I'm concerned about his health.

Michael is a project, who will get limited touches unless McFadden misses time.

and Randle is working with the first team.... this is clear as mud. No opinions are going to change until the bullets fly.

I should go back and see if there can be two viable RBs with this OC.... what the historical split has been (not the run Murray into the ground from last year)

I don't think any one RB will run away with the job since none are the complete back that Murray is/was

My WAG is Randle has the most touches this year and is a viable RB2. McFadden will flash once in a while, but I'm concerned about his health.

Linehan has typically had a pass catching back and a primary ball toting back. He has also had seasons where both backs got 140+ targets together. Stephen Jackson (6'3, 229), Ronnie Brown (6'0, 233) and Michael Bennett (5'9, 211) were probably 3 big backs who could do it all, including haul in lots of passes and when he had that Linehan went with it.

Detroit:

Bell/Bush

Leshoure/Bush/KSmith

Best/Morris/KSmith

KSmith/Morris

StL:

SJax

Mia:

Ronnie Brown

Min:

Ont. Smith/Moe Williams /M. Bennett

Michael Bennett (with some Moe Williams)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 2h2 hours ago

Who goes out first at RB for the Cowboys may not be the same as who gets the most carries. So lets not go overboard here. Still a committee

Jason Garrett again said no decision has been made on a starter at running back and it doesn't matter who goes out first

For example, the first play in drill after stretching Wednesday, the Cowboys went four wide and Lance Dunbar got the ball on a swing pass

Sounds like Clarence Hill is tweeting just to up his tweet count.

It's definitely got mess potential, but I believe Randle gets the first shot to establish himself Sunday night. If I'm wrong, at least he didn't cost me anything but a roster spot.

Who goes out first at RB for the Cowboys may not be the same as who gets the most carries. So lets not go overboard here. Still a committee

Jason Garrett again said no decision has been made on a starter at running back and it doesn't matter who goes out first

For example, the first play in drill after stretching Wednesday, the Cowboys went four wide and Lance Dunbar got the ball on a swing pass
another talking head, with nothing to talk about

JFS171 said:
BTW - any of you Michael Truthers out there seen his Mockdraftable page? Check out that sexy list of comps based on his combine athleticism!

Doesn't even factor in the bonehead component... on pure athletic ability his top comps are David Johnson, Jonathan Grimes, Curtis Keaton, and Michael Ford.
Cory Boyd

J.R. Redmond

Wendell Mathis

Ran Cartho

athletic comps to Matt Forte.

JFS171 said:
BTW - any of you Michael Truthers out there seen his Mockdraftable page? Check out that sexy list of comps based on his combine athleticism!

Doesn't even factor in the bonehead component... on pure athletic ability his top comps are David Johnson, Jonathan Grimes, Curtis Keaton, and Michael Ford.
Cory Boyd

J.R. Redmond

Wendell Mathis

Ran Cartho

athletic comps to Matt Forte.
Point was it takes more than pure athleticism to be a star in the NFL. You're providing more evidence -- Forte's comps were junk... it's about more than just pure athletic ability.

I dunno man, you sound like a Randle owner in the first stage of grief. The Garrett quote is far from nothing.

I dunno man, you sound like a Randle owner in the first stage of grief. The Garrett quote is far from nothing.
Does he? :shrug:

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 3h3 hours ago

Joseph Randle working with the first-team offense
Randle's been the first team back all of camp and is still working with the first team offense... still worked as a feature back for the first four+ series in the third preseason game...

Does he? :shrug:

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 3h3 hours ago

Joseph Randle working with the first-team offense
Randle's been the first team back all of camp and is still working with the first team offense... still worked as a feature back for the first four+ series in the third preseason game...
"it doesn't matter who goes out first"

- Jason Garrett, head coach Dallas Cowboys

Believe it or not, these coaches don't always tell the truth. Something to do with trying to mislead the other team more than trying to help out FF owners.

Believe it or not, these coaches don't always tell the truth. Something to do with trying to mislead the other team more than trying to help out FF owners.
I think you have to ask (and try to be honest with) yourself, what is more likely with these Garrett quotes -

a. He's trying to mislead the other team by announcing a "hot hand" RBBC; or

b. He's trying to put these RBs on notice that none of them are safe and that the competition continues until a hot hand emerges.

I lean towards B. Doesn't mean Randle won't become that hot hand, but all I foresee at this point is that he's going to get the first crack and that if he doesn't ball out, that McFadden and eventually Michael will get a chance to usurp, if they outperform. If none of them take control of the job, I expect RBBC hell.

I think you have to ask (and try to be honest with) yourself, what is more likely with these Garrett quotes -

b. He's trying to put these RBs on notice that none of them are safe and that the competition continues until a hot hand emerges.

I lean towards B. Doesn't mean Randle won't become that hot hand, but all I foresee at this point is that he's going to get the first crack and that if he doesn't ball out, that McFadden and eventually Michael will get a chance to usurp, if they outperform. If none of them take control of the job, I expect RBBC hell.
Like I said, he really does not care about any of that.

I own all of these clowns across multiple leagues.

Why B? I disagree completely. What was the question? I bet the quote didn't just come out of thin air. I think A because it is week 1 now, not preseason/training camp. The motivation should be done by now. The Browns RB coach called out the RBs to motivate them, but he did that on August 9th. Calling out the RBs now for motivation seems like a coach not doing his job and coaching them up in preseason.

Why B?
Because that's been the consistent message from coaches and beat writers for months now, and was just reaffirmed by the head coach.

Draft randle if he falls to the 6th.....snag Cmike late.
Hope you're right, I did exactly this last night in a high stakes non PPR redraft. Took Randle at 6.3, some jackalope took McFadden at 6.9, then I took Michael at 15.10.
I hope so too....the thing I can't get past is Dallas WILL run the ball a lot. I have zero confidence in DMAC staying on the field. Randle should get opps simply because this offense should be moving The ball.....he gets dinged, Cmike has learned the system by then (hopefully), and comes in behind the beastly line Dallas has built......all speculation, but these conclusions aren't hard to come to.

Randle's not a project? If you consider Cmike a project you have to call Randle a project. Unless you feel his 50 more career carries make him not a project.

Randle is going into the third year at DAL, doesn't have to learn new terminology, where to sleep/eat, teammates names

But if CMike is humble and coachable, I'm sure he won't get cut

Randle's not a project? If you consider Cmike a project you have to call Randle a project. Unless you feel his 50 more career carries make him not a project.
I see his point, he is comfortable in the system, Michael just got there. The Cowboys likely know what they will get with Randle, he could surprise or disappoint, but they don't know what they will get from Michael.

McFadden's last 38 games, since/after 2011:

5 games of 10+ carries and 4.0+ ypc same game.

20 games of 10+ carries and <4.0 ypc same game. 11 of those 20 games were </=3.0 ypc same game.

Users who are viewing this thread