What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

I think people are forgetting that the last time we saw Drogon he was being a total rebellious ****.  I think it was important to show that Dany still has the leash to a degree, so to speak. Drogon nipped at her earlier in the show, and later abandoned her in the wild and allowed her to be captured after saving her in the arena. It wasn't just a given that she could bring him back into the fold and ride him at will after his time in the wilderness. Maybe plot wise it was obvious to us, but not based on what they showed. 
From what I recall, Drogon was hurt from the spears and tired from exerting itself more than it'd been used to....I don't recall Dany being abandoned on purpose. 

I will say, for all the great insight I've gotten on this series from fan boards or blogs, there are things like R+L=J and Uncle Benjen returning that have tempered the actual impact of some otherwise good scenes.  I knew exactly who that was before he took off the cloak. 

I think people are forgetting that the last time we saw Drogon he was being a total rebellious ****.  I think it was important to show that Dany still has the leash to a degree, so to speak. Drogon nipped at her earlier in the show, and later abandoned her in the wild and allowed her to be captured after saving her in the arena. It wasn't just a given that she could bring him back into the fold and ride him at will after his time in the wilderness. Maybe plot wise it was obvious to us, but not based on what they showed. 
it was obvious.

It is obvious that this is all leading up to Dragons v. White Walkers

We have heard them talk about when the Targaryens first conquered Westeros while riding three dragons.  The mother of Dragons was always going to be bringing her 3 dragons to Westeros.

I will say, for all the great insight I've gotten on this series from fan boards or blogs, there are things like R+L=J and Uncle Benjen returning that have tempered the actual impact of some otherwise good scenes.  I knew exactly who that was before he took off the cloak. 
Same thing with Hodor's death after all the talk of it being a big episode with an emotional ending.

it was obvious.

It is obvious that this is all leading up to Dragons v. White Walkers

We have heard them talk about when the Targaryens first conquered Westeros while riding three dragons.  The mother of Dragons was always going to be bringing her 3 dragons to Westeros.
Of course. Doesn't mean they can just do it without setting it up properly. She needed to get Drogon back on the way to Mereen.

Sam having the sword is just kinda whatever. Yeah, he got lucky and killed a white walker before,  but you're telling me that in the heart of battle, with thousands of zombies slaughtering people all around him that him having a sword is gonna turn the tide? Not sure I'm buying that. 

Agree with those who are tired of dany's big emotional monologs. Totally played out. 

Not really sure what the end game is for the high sparrow. I've always thought he was just this 100 percent pure super pious dude.  Sure doesn't seem like that now.

Obviously benjen stark and edmure  Tully weren't important characters, but if you don't remember who they were you're not paying close enough attention. You're like a fan of a team that can't name 7 players and only watches the playoffs start. It's fine but just own it. Everyone is obviously free to enjoy the show in their own way but I don't see how someone could watch a show like this and not get fully invested 
I'm assuming Sam will give the sword to someone who'll put it to good use. Probably Jon Snow.

I thought the Dany scene was redundant. 
My guess is that this is an editing decision.

That had the feel of Daenerys' last scene of the season.  Maybe there is still a scene back at Meereen, but that felt like a dramatic conclusion to this chapter of Danenerys' story.

We have a lot of stuff coming up with Westeros - Jamie at Riverrun, Snow raising an army - Episode 9 is the Battle of the Bastards, so we know that is Winterfell.

Kings Landing still has some intrigue left - post-cult Tommen.

Arya still has to escape the Waif.  The Hound still has an appearance to make.  Bran still has to figure out his role in all of this - either creating the mess, or fixing the mess.

So, maybe they could have put that scene later in the season, but felt it was more out of place later than it was redundant now. :shrug:

I'm assuming Sam will give the sword to someone who'll put it to good use. Probably Jon Snow.
JON SNOW ALREADY HAS LONGCLAW!!!...THE ANCIENT SWORD OF HOUSE MORMONT, GIVEN TO HIM BY JEOR "THE OLD BEAR" MORMONT!!!! WHY WOULD HE NEED TARLY'S HEARTSBANE!!!!...(snicker)...DO YOU REALLY THINK JON SHOW IS GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN TO DOUBLE WIELD SWORDS WITH EVERYTHING HE ALREADY HAS TO DO?  CRIPES!!!...DO PEOPLE EVEN PAY ATTENTION TO THIS SHOW WHEN IT'S ON!!!!!!!

Dany has always been one of the "good" characters- against slavery, rape, useless killing, etc. But now she wants to unleash the Dothraki upon Westoros? What exactly does she think is going to happen? It seems out of character for her to cause the death of thousands of innocent people (not to mention rape and slavery) just so that she can rule. 

Dany has always been one of the "good" characters- against slavery, rape, useless killing, etc. But now she wants to unleash the Dothraki upon Westoros? What exactly does she think is going to happen? It seems out of character for her to cause the death of thousands of innocent people (not to mention rape and slavery) just so that she can rule. 
As Mirri Maz Duur might have told you - sometimes you gotta break some eggs if you want to be queen.

JON SNOW ALREADY HAS LONGCLAW!!!...THE ANCIENT SWORD OF HOUSE MORMONT, GIVEN TO HIM BY JEOR "THE OLD BEAR" MORMONT!!!! WHY WOULD HE NEED TARLY'S HEARTSBANE!!!!...(snicker)...DO YOU REALLY THINK JON SHOW IS GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN TO DOUBLE WIELD SWORDS WITH EVERYTHING HE ALREADY HAS TO DO?  CRIPES!!!...DO PEOPLE EVEN PAY ATTENTION TO THIS SHOW WHEN IT'S ON!!!!!!!
Maybe he'll give it to Gilly

Wait, nope, you're right he picked it back up off-screen. He has it during the gate scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:

you don't think it was important for her army and her lover to see her with the dragon? 

24 sucked
FYI, her lover already saw her with Drogon. I'm shocked that you didn't remember that, but I'm sure Roboto remembered that. Honestly, I don't think the Dothraki needed much more motivation than her walking naked through fire after killing all the khals. IMHO, it wasn't a necessary scene. Fun to watch the dragon, but lots of other things to show.

There is a lot of fair criticism in here, but you guys that are saying that you didn't like X scene because there are so many hours left of the show are being kinda silly. A scene either works or it doesn't regardless of how much time is left. It's like you're trying to find ways to not enjoy the ride.

Sam having the sword is just kinda whatever. Yeah, he got lucky and killed a white walker before,  but you're telling me that in the heart of battle, with thousands of zombies slaughtering people all around him that him having a sword is gonna turn the tide? Not sure I'm buying that. 
Or he's taking the sword to study its properties, with the hopes of studying/replicating it? Don't know if that's "possible", but it seems a bit more consistent with his character. 

Also, pretty sure Margaery's going to put the swerve on Tommen and get outta dodge at the first opportunity. Leaving Tommen/Cersei stuck to deal with the High Sparrow. Cersei often preaches patience in terms of taking vengeance (recently with Jaime, back in S1 with Joffrey), but she also doesn't make the best decisions at times.

The Mountain vs. Robocop trial by combat is gonna be so lit.

Sam doesn't have time to earn his chains AND get back to Jon in time to make a difference. He has an endgame, or we wouldn't get his story anymore. 

To me it's much more likely that he finds something useful/urgent/important out during his studies,  and bails on the Maester thing to get back to Jon with the info.

Way too much talk about Daenerys without much happening for her.

No talk about Kings Landing basically being taken over by the High Sparrow who has brainwashed almost everyone he needs to. I was hoping we'd be done with him after this episode, but it looks like he'll be around for a while.

Sam doesn't have time to earn his chains AND get back to Jon in time to make a difference. He has an endgame, or we wouldn't get his story anymore. 

To me it's much more likely that he finds something useful/urgent/important out during his studies,  and bails on the Maester thing to get back to Jon with the info.
He can send ravens.

There is a lot of fair criticism in here, but you guys that are saying that you didn't like X scene because there are so many hours left of the show are being kinda silly. A scene either works or it doesn't regardless of how much time is left. It's like you're trying to find ways to not enjoy the ride.
Why? We know there are only so many hours in the show left, so if they skimp on other story lines because of Dany/Arya then that is a valid criticism. Not going to reply for other people, but when I say I felt like those scenes were repetitive then I guess they didn't work for me. Arya has had multiple fights with her nemesis and now we know we are getting another and honestly she's not any closer to her end game. Did we need to see her pout at the Ned Stark scene and an episode later laugh at Joffrey? IMHO, no, simple as that. Did I enjoy the discussion with the lady she saved, yes. Do I think it could have been done in one episode, yes. Same with Dany. Drogon could have appeared in the same episode.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying the ride, but I agree with some of the other people in here that thought those scenes repeated a lot of stuff we just saw and I'm worried some story lines will get shortened when they shouldn't.

That's been her goal since S1. Also, I don't think she's really a good character. She might be anti-slavery, but she's also a power obsessed monster. That whole speech at the end is the speech of a villain, not a hero.

That's been her goal since S1. Also, I don't think she's really a good character. She might be anti-slavery, but she's also a power obsessed monster. That whole speech at the end is the speech of a villain, not a hero.
Idk, all she heard growing up was that the people secretly supported and hoped for the return of a Targ. Then Jorah and Selmy did nothing but tell her how much the 7 kingdoms went to #### under Baratheon rule.

She's for sure a conqueror but most conquerors probably think they're better for the people they're assuming leadership over. She's not Ghengis Khan. I don't think hunger for power is all of it, though she's naturally ambitious. 

Right. I mean she's cool and all, but let's not forget who she is.
What does that mean? There were some crazy ones, especially her father. And the Targs were all about incest. But there were some great rulers among their family tree, they aren't inherently evil or terrible.

I feel like that would needlessly complicate the story. Aerys was saying 'Burn them all' because he had a nasty case of Targaryen pyromania, his enemies were at his gates, because he was spiteful and insane, because he had rigged the city to explode, and because he thought burning everything down would turn him into a dragon.

Making him a failed pawn of Bran's or a misunderstood viewer of the big picture would be shoehorning in a very rickety answer to something which wasn't a mystery in the first place.

Why would Bran do this? - if it was a mistake, then it would be dramatically unsatisfying and very cursory. Aerys - a lunatic - had more than enough motivation to act the way he did without being worried about the White Walkers. And if he was worrying about the White Walkers, he wouldn't act like that.
Spoken like a book reader.

As a non book reader I have little info as to what the mad king was all about, so him being a Bran pawn is fine by me.

What does that mean? There were some crazy ones, especially her father. And the Targs were all about incest. But there were some great rulers among their family tree, they aren't inherently evil or terrible.
We only really know of 4 other Targaryns and 2 were nuts. Those aren't great odds. Also no matter what, they were a foreign family that used violence to hold control over a continent. 

Spoken like a book reader.

As a non book reader I have little info as to what the mad king was all about, so him being a Bran pawn is fine by me.
Ok, glad it worked for you. I explained why it didnt for me. I also didnt like the Hodor thing at all either, and that hasnt been in the books.

Or he's taking the sword to study its properties, with the hopes of studying/replicating it? Don't know if that's "possible", but it seems a bit more consistent with his character. 
Hey, they melted down Ned's sword.  Maybe they can melt down others, make them into arrow tips, and pick them off from a distance?

A raven is going to carry that sword back north so they can use it in the fight?
Jesus, what is it with this board tonight.

Any knowledge/breakthroughs he might come across in re fighting the white walkers, he could send to the Wall. He doesn't have to personally take a boat all the way back there to tell them, hey, maybe you could try ____ or ______.

Jesus, what is it with this board tonight.

Any knowledge/breakthroughs he might come across in re fighting the white walkers, he could send to the Wall. He doesn't have to personally take a boat all the way back there to tell them, hey, maybe you could try ____ or ______.
Sure, but the whole point of last night's story with him was getting his dad's sword, which just happens to kill the bad guys - ie, Sam is heading back north with that thing.  Unless he runs into somebody else he trusts enough to do it while he hits the books?

Sure, but the whole point of last night's story with him was getting his dad's sword, which just happens to kill the bad guys - ie, Sam is heading back north with that thing.  Unless he runs into somebody else he trusts enough to do it while he hits the books?
Who said that was the whole point of last night's story with him?

Dany needs a bunch of boats, and a bunch of boats just got the hell out of dodge, aka greyjoy. Odds of the two hooking up?

Also, Sam taking the baby and girl essentially means he's not going to study chains and whatnot, right? Thats the reason he was trying to dump them at home in the first place, I thought.

Also, I missed that Sam was from a giant castle.

Who said that was the whole point of last night's story with him?
Huh? What else could have been the point? It wasn't just a sword, it was a Valyrian steel sword and we've been beaten over the head with the fact that there are very, very few of them, they don't make them anymore and they kill white walkers. Nothing else of any substance happened with Sam, so the whole point of his story had to have been getting that sword. How it is used, we don't know, but the point was Sam getting the sword.

Huh? What else could have been the point? It wasn't just a sword, it was a Valyrian steel sword and we've been beaten over the head with the fact that there are very, very few of them, they don't make them anymore and they kill white walkers. Nothing else of any substance happened with Sam, so the whole point of his story had to have been getting that sword. How it is used, we don't know, but the point was Sam getting the sword.
The tv show is a drama and like it or not Sam and Gilly have been a major part of this drama for a long time and they are one of the few "good" guys on the show. The point was finally to get some background info on the family of Sam. If the whole point was to introduce another Valerian sword into the mix it could have been done countless other ways without introducing Sams family or even using Sam as a conduit.

Dany needs a bunch of boats, and a bunch of boats just got the hell out of dodge, aka greyjoy. Odds of the two hooking up?

Also, Sam taking the baby and girl essentially means he's not going to study chains and whatnot, right? Thats the reason he was trying to dump them at home in the first place, I thought.

Also, I missed that Sam was from a giant castle.
Well, based on the preview it seemed like those boats might be going back, but yes, I do agree that those boats are the only ones that will get Dany to Westeros. I don't think there is any other folks that have that many ships. I don't think Euron will make enough boats, so either he gets them back or Theon/Yara defeat him and then go to Dany.

I don't recall if Sam really ever talked about his history (in the show, no idea about those other things).

Good point about Sam leaving with Gilly and child. He can't go to study, because he didn't get to drop her off at his home.

The tv show is a drama and like it or not Sam and Gilly have been a major part of this drama for a long time and they are one of the few "good" guys on the show. The point was finally to get some background info on the family of Sam. If the whole point was to introduce another Valerian sword into the mix it could have been done countless other ways without introducing Sams family or even using Sam as a conduit.
Sam also took another half step into not being a total ##### which is interesting and probably important for his character. 

Users who are viewing this thread